Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

im hurt banana, your generalization was quite harsh and definately not helping my worry for tomorrow. i dont talk like those ****head d4 heads and am not oopma loompa orange.
    and grrrr no i did not go to the tuite, i hate that place
    ouch, and i actually have been trying to like study econ all year but its just hatefull!
    I'm sorry, I was only playing with you. No need to take offence, unless you're actually like that. It was clearly an assault on oompa-lumpa deefours, so you should smile at it if you're not one of them :).

If you happen to read this before you exam tomorrow, I'd recommend you know the markets for micro and try your hand at some of the tutorial questions for macro.
    Ah Enda come on, that's pretty harsh. The girl has hardly ever even been here and that kind of stuff is unfair.
    Yeah you're right. I've apologised. I should have given her advice with the berating.
    And by the way, when you said Melissa, did you mean Marissa? Cos otherwise I don't get it.
    My lack of knowledge of The OC is revealed, no!! So, yep, Marissa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Oh God, my embarrassing knowledge of the OC is also revealed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Dude it's like so totally not hateful at all loike roight. Cop on to yourself gurl! Loike don't pull a Mellisa on us. LOLZ!!!1!!!!one!!!!sqrt(-1^2)!!!!loike!!!

Loike totally poooo to that. I mean like, you know roight? It's tragic that you have to loike totally study for these exams. I mean don't they know you've been like soo busy all year? I think we should loike complain or something. Or maybe doddy might be able to swing something your way loike. Loike in that story about Ross where his doddy loike totally swung something his way. That was a legend spot. Oisin is loike so totally my idol. It's such a hot name.

I loike don't think you'll be roightly accepted anywhere roight!! LOLZBEBO! Loike totally loike, how did you get at least 475 points in the Leaving Sort without picking up a few good tips on how to study loike? You at least go to the Onstitute, didn't you?

pink-shirt-messy-hair.jpg
    Totally.

Enda play fair.....

and its the 'Tute, not the Onstitute. you may be up to date on the OC but your South Dublin cultural knowledge appears lacking. I mean really, you call yourself a BESS boy when the gaps in your trivia are just shocking:rolleyes:

*i spy an invasion...and its PINK and YELLOW and ORANGE all over*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

and its the 'Tute, not the Onstitute. you may be up to date on the OC but your South Dublin cultural knowledge appears lacking. I mean really, you call yourself a BESS boy when the gaps in your trivia are just shocking

True, the post was somewhat mis-aimed and inaccurate (I thought "Melissa" was meant to be a stereotypical BESS name, would have assumed if it was meant to be Marissa that anyone trying to make themselves seem big and clever over the internet might, I dunno, check bloody Google first, but apparently not) but his "!!sqrt(-1^2)!!" bit alone cracked me up. I stand by my bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

stargal wrote:
    Oh God, my embarrassing knowledge of the OC is also revealed :o

I've seen all the eps from this series. :o I'm awaiting my transfer papers and expect to be ordered to report to BESS anyday now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

If you're looking for really late advice on economics, you could try and bring something from this into your answer,

Economics Humour - Definitely not actual humour!

If you're trying to impress Somerville, you could find some way to mention llama's. He has at least one at home, and you never know, it might help your answer to stand out.

That said, you might be better just learning what supply and demand curves look like and draw them everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Ah Dr Richard Andrew Sommerville FTCD will never cease to amaze me. Total legend.

And economics humour is better found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

cuckoo wrote:
    I've seen all the eps from this series. :o I'm awaiting my transfer papers and expect to be ordered to report to BESS anyday now.
    *is disgusted*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

alrite banana boy apology accepted, tho still peaved that you may think that im one of those barbie dolls who wear pyjamas to college every day with the ive-just-got-out-of-bed-and-backcombed-my-hair-BUT-dont-dare-touch-it-cause-i-actually-purposfully-styled-it-this-way look, grrrrrr!!!
    anyways yea economics, pffff ive accepted the fact that i make an early return to the big smoke in september for supplementals. even an all nighter wont save me now god damn it.

:D

gilroyb wrote:
    If you're trying to impress Somerville, you could find some way to mention llama's. He has at least one at home, and you never know, it might help your answer to stand out.

Llamas rock. Not as much as alpacas, but they're still so cool.
    pet wrote:
    *is disgusted*

Teh boys bring the pRety.

It's really easy on the eye and relaxing to watch.

• Advertisement

cuckoo wrote:

Are you joking? do you know me/Somerville? He has one of them too apparently, but I was slightly unsure whether they were up there with unicorns as a farm animal, so I wasn't going to mention it.

Something tells me I should take him up on his offers of a pint of stout sometime and get the full story on his farming status.

EDIT: Just googled those things, excellent animals, totally pointless by the look of things, but up there with Pandas on the "I know evolution would love to get its hands on you, but we'll just stick you in a zoo instead" list

cuckoo wrote:

Surprised no-one posted this yet.

Myth wrote:

I like that song. Llamas and ducks - two of my favourite things.

And, yes, llamas do spit:

http://members.tripod.com/~brianpink/spitting.html

Um, yeah, the thread topic....do BESS peeps spit?

ETA: I don't know Somerville, but i might have to track him down to learn more of the wonders of llama farming.

I realise that normally posting photos of lecturers is frowned upon, but this is simply a picture of a BESS lecturer with his back turned, while he feeds his llamas. If it's against the policy I'm sorry, but it seems to be (as) on topic (as the last page of posts). I know you may be loath to make a llama exception, but seriously, how often will there be a picture of a lecturer with their llamas?

pic

In case anyone is wondering, I wasn't stalking him, I just happened to come across it on google, ironically while looking for a generic llama pic.

I've seen all the eps from this series. I'm awaiting my transfer papers and expect to be ordered to report to BESS anyday now.

I watched until this season, which just seemed to go from "amusingly crappy" to plain old "crappy". I've read what happens in the finale, though, so I'll definitely be watching for that. Yeah, I just became 80% more BESS, didn't I?
    even an all nighter wont save me now god damn it.

I'm hoping waking up at 4.30AM to get in a few extra hours of study will help. My brain has now reached saturation point, so hopefully I can keep focused for a few more hours - the second this exam ends, I'm going to a happy mental place and staying there, so if my next posts are incoherent and stupid (well, more so) then sorry.

...It may be my sleep-deprived state, but I found that strangely terrifying. *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Enda's post is one of the funniest things I've read since my second last Schol paper! Bravo, sir!
    gilroyb wrote:
    realise that normally posting photos of lecturers is frowned upon, but this is simply a picture of a BESS lecturer with his back turned, while he feeds his llamas.
    That's not RAS, is it?

europerson wrote:
    Enda's post is one of the funniest things I've read since my second last Schol paper! Bravo, sir!

That's not RAS, is it?

It is indeed. Must be an old picture though, because apparently one of his llamas past on, hence the need for the alpaca.

I remember he mentioned that he had a bull in his garden and I thought that was impressive. He must have decided that it wasn't eccentric enough for a fellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I want one...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

&#231 wrote: »
    I want one...

*gives crash one*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭fookchooknooris

didn't we gave a llama apaca discussion before?

• Advertisement

u're stil seplling gud chook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭fookchooknooris

:-(. Sorry John. I'll do my best to spell better in future.

Thanks, you've made my evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ok, Ill only be starting my first year of college next year, and im taking it for granted that ill be offered a BESS course.

I already know I want to be a chartered accountant - is this wise from somebody studying ordinary maths in the LC? Surely we dont need any of that algebra sh!t for accountanct?

And also, after the common first year, considering I want to be an accountant, what 6 subjects should i pick for second year?

You know what, if someone could actually draw up a little lifespan of what my time in college should be considering my choice of career - that would be just super.

:cool:

If you definitely want to be a chartered accountant, from what I've been told (by my brother and cousins who are sitting those exams, though I haven't actually researched it myself) BESS isn't great as regards exemptions - you'd be better off doing a dedicated accounting/finance college course. But check out the ICAI (and soon, before CAO deadlines) to be sure of that. You'll need some level of mathematical ability to a) be a chartered accountant and more pressingly b) to get through BESS (since maths is about 20% of your grade and is the main stumbling block for most first years). From second year onwards, there are older people who can tell you a lot more about the classes available, what they involve and which you should pick. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

If i already knew i wanted to be a chartered accountant I wouldn't have done BESS its not as businessy as you think. Only one hour a week, the odd week has a 2 hour lecture.

You have a whole year to discover what subjects are needed to be a chartered account. Theres no need to really find out what subjecs you need to do in second year now, since you have no choice in first year (then again you've got your career picked out already).

You can research it on these boards. Using the search function. If you can't find the info you need, I will email you the course handbook if I'm bothered*.

*which i won't be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

so em a question please?! when bess results out???? for jf bess please?

Early July - the only definite date I've heard is July 4th for Political Science, but I'd guess the rest will be around then too.

so em a question please?! when bess results out???? for jf bess please?

The date I have for JF BESS is the 4th of July, at 10am, up on the noticeboards in the Arts Block and on here: http://www.tcd.ie/Examinations/Results/

All subject to change by the Exams Office, department, and weather of course.
    shay_562 wrote:
    Early July - the only definite date I've heard is July 4th for Political Science, but I'd guess the rest will be around then too.

Phil/Pol should be out on the 28th of June at 5pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Yeah I had been meaning to ask when the results were out. and grand so another week and what a half.

Advertisement