Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any comments on these double glazing suppliers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 RachWatch

Hi sandc1611 - I recently used Orion. They provided two doors and one window. They were very good to deal with. Their prices were very competitive. They came when they said they would come. Did the job cleanly. We are very pleased with the end result. I dealt with Mark - and would have no hesitation in recommeding them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 calum123

I have used Rapid Windows and so have my sisters and we were thrilled with their work very keen prices and excellent work, would always recommend them. As far as I know they don't even advertise its all word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dinger53

Smartbody how did you get on with Asgard in the end? They were my top choice but then my in-laws told me to contact John Bradley and get a quote. He was the cheapest (by a bit) but I was still a bit nervous as I couldn't find anything on boards about him. The inlaws and their friends used them for their windows and they looked great so we went with him and I'm delighted with the finished product!
    He is totally a no-frills kind of guy -doesn't have a fancy showroom or anything but he struck me as very honest (he included shoot-bolt locking and some things that other companies were charging as extras as standard) and was really clean (just a bit of dust at the end).
    I was delighted with him so would recommend to anyone else to give him a go- if anyone wants his details feel free to PM me! Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 smartbodydublin

Excellent windows. I'm from a trades family background so have some notion as to what the job involves.

There's an issue with one glazing unit which tilted slightly in it's frame. I've told Asgard of this and told them it probably wasn't an issue but I wanted them to look at it.

I've seen many pvc windows being installed in the past and sometimes they need a belt to wedge them in.

This particular window got several very stout impacts and then a few months later I noticed the glazing unit was off square. That didn't bother me but the fact it moved at all meant something had to give a little.

I'm knee deep in other issues and amn't slow in pursuing anything but it's not showing problems as yet but the seals between glass panes may have been stressed as well.

The first thing Asgard said when I rang was if any problem with the window they'd replace it.

I may get a door at some point if money allows but will see how windows go and if anyone from Asgard does a follow up check on my report.

All in all, the price was good, the job was good and the company has been around a long time.

Happy your own job turned out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i had munster joinery install a couple winodws for me some months back, they did a great job, draught free, fast installers also tidieness let the place in good order, and will deal again with them,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I got Fairco doors and windows in the downstairs of my house. Have had problems with locks on both doors, and now one door is dropping. Given the price I paid, I really would not recommend them.

Now a question - has anyone actually had this Spectus Elite 63 glass installed in their house for a long period of time? I've had two quotes to do the four upstairs windows in my house - one using Spectus Elite 63, the other from KK windows. I get the impression KK windows are good but they're coming in at €1700 while the other folk are just €1100. Normally I just go for the more expensive one but that didn't work out well with Fairco, plus money is tight so I am very tempted by the €1100 with the Spectus Elite 63. Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GlasnevinPiper

I've recently got some quotes for windows. Does anyone have an opinion about Horizon Windows from Coolock or Has anyone used the Dublin installers of Sean Doyle & Sons Windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fastford

I've recently got some quotes for windows. Does anyone have an opinion about Horizon Windows from Coolock or Has anyone used the Dublin installers of Sean Doyle & Sons Windows?

Yes, I certainly have experience of the second company you have mentioned. PM if you want to know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GlasnevinPiper

PM sent. I look forward to hearing from you. I presume there's a reason why you don't want to provide info in a public forum... you have me worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 smartbodydublin

Hello Monokne, I have the Spectus Elite63 and am very happy with them. I noticed a big drop in external sound and the house holding heat a lot longer.

It was a jump from old single pane wooden frames to double glazing but based on being in other homes with double glazing the Elite 63 is keeps out more noise if that helps at all. The price is good and the windows are only new but no bother with them and they seem very robust in build.
    Monokne wrote: »
    I got Fairco doors and windows in the downstairs of my house. Have had problems with locks on both doors, and now one door is dropping. Given the price I paid, I really would not recommend them.

Now a question - has anyone actually had this Spectus Elite 63 glass installed in their house for a long period of time? I've had two quotes to do the four upstairs windows in my house - one using Spectus Elite 63, the other from KK windows. I get the impression KK windows are good but they're coming in at €1700 while the other folk are just €1100. Normally I just go for the more expensive one but that didn't work out well with Fairco, plus money is tight so I am very tempted by the €1100 with the Spectus Elite 63. Any opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hello Monokne, I have the Spectus Elite63 and am very happy with them. I noticed a big drop in external sound and the house holding heat a lot longer.

It was a jump from old single pane wooden frames to double glazing but based on being in other homes with double glazing the Elite 63 is keeps out more noise if that helps at all. The price is good and the windows are only new but no bother with them and they seem very robust in build.

Lads just for clarification, Spectus, mAnufacture PVc profile, and Elite63 is one of their products ( 63mm from back to front). So that's just the material the window frames are made from.
    You then add, hinges,handles,glass etc, none of which are Spectus, and you have a window.
    So who made the window, is more important than the raw material they used

Hi all

Thanks for both of your responses. I'm conscious that by all accounts the window itself is good but as you say Martin, it's really a crapshoot as to whether or not the supplier and fitter is up to scratch. Unless you go with a more well known company like fairco or senator, but we'd a bad experience with them last time out so I think I may just go with the cheap as chips chap and hope for the best!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Monokne wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks for both of your responses. I'm conscious that by all accounts the window itself is good but as you say Martin, it's really a crapshoot as to whether or not the supplier and fitter is up to scratch. Unless you go with a more well known company like fairco or senator, but we'd a bad experience with them last time out so I think I may just go with the cheap as chips chap and hope for the best!!!

Maybe you could give details of the ''cheap as chips'' chap, and see if there is some feedback on this thread

The cheap as chips chaps (try and say that 5 times fast) are a company called CG Windows and that is about as much as I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

I'm looking for solid wood double glazed window suppliers. I had a search through the thread but all the recent recommendations (Asgard, Regency etc.) for PVC.

We will have a mix of sash and non-sash. We don't mind using different suppliers for each type.

I've seen the Marvin quality warnings, which is a shame as their opening & slide mechanism was impressive and the windows looked nicely finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Anybody any experience with Turkington Windows from Portadown? Got a quote through their agents in Dublin but wondering if anyone knows anything about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kate the painter

tinkernead wrote: »
    I know this post is a few years late. But dont go near Fairco not a company i would recommend at all . Defo consider looking at someone else

I have used this company this week for windows their quality looks excellent had you a problem after installing windows

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kate the painter

Just got windows fitted this week I hope I made the right decision previous windows in 35 years and had no problems with them just wanted to upgrade to energy glass and change style will keep you updated

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hogiewan

Dunno if they were mentioned but my old man gave me a number for www.cityglass.ie, I got them in for the new house and im delighted with the job they did! Worth a look anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 scange

if you are concerned about after sales then do not go with regency. they are great sales people, talk the talk... but as soon as you have an issue you will be fobbed off for months. had problems with windows and doors. still waiting for a satisfactory resolution after 3 months of constant chasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

scange,

can you tell me the problems youve had with regency?
    ive bought windows from them and am going to get them fitted in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 scange

Be prepared to have a few days organised for installation. they never turn up when agreed, so days have been taken off work that have been wasted. From day 1 the windows never sealed properly so wind/noise blowing in. They've been out three times and it's still not fixed. That's after three months of chasing, almost on a daily basis.
    Do NOT hand over the full amount on installation. I would advise holding back 10% for a few months to see how things settle down after installation. Once you've paid, you'll have no comeback. As for warranties... they mean nothing if they have been installed badly at the start...

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

thanks scange,

yes i was thinking the fitters didnt know so much when they came to deliver the windows. thankfully my house is a shell at the moment so ill be sealing them myself if they start off doing it wrong.

hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Anyone use Coastal windows baldloye, A. Lynch Glass and Glazing Baldoyle and McMahon Nagle. My father is looking to replace all his windows and just wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with these 3 companies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Got munster windows in this week. I know the installers can be hit or miss but the two guys we had did a good job.
    Clean job, well installed from what I can see and did a tidy job skimming afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jar18

your lucky mine was c$%p

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

Hi All,

A bit off topic but does anyone know if any of the companies offer finance on replacement windows or of any of the finance companies/banks that offer loans for replacing windows. Thanks

Jimfo1970 wrote: »
    Hi All,

A bit off topic but does anyone know if any of the companies offer finance on replacement windows or of any of the finance companies/banks that offer loans for replacing windows. Thanks

Anyone ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I'm pretty sure most credit unions offer finance for home improvement:
    Home Improvement Loan greater than €10K – 8.25% (APR 8.57%)

For that larger expenditure on the family home, maybe new windows or a conservatory, or even the designer garden, at €48.33 per week for €10,000 that dream may be closer than you thought! Depending on the amount required, we can consider loans longer than 5 years.

Also, you might be entitled for some grant assistance under the home renovation incentive scheme: Click here for Revenue Information
    Revenue.ie wrote:
    The Home Renovation Incentive (HRI) Scheme provides for tax relief for Homeowners by way of an Income Tax credit at 13.5% of qualifying expenditure on repair, renovation or improvement works carried out on the Homeowner's main home by qualifying Contractors.
    Revenue.ie wrote:
    1.4. What type of works qualify?

Examples of repair, renovation or improvement works that qualify under the Incentive include -
    Supply and fitting of windows

• Advertisement

Thanks Prospect.

I got a few quotes from some of the different companies that are mentioned in this thread but of the ones that quoted none seem to do finance. I am getting a really competitive price from Sean Doyle & Co in Tallaght but the sales rep said it's a special for June only and I am short about €2000 so was just looking for some sort of short term finance as I don't want to miss out on the offer as I would save €1250 if I buy in June rather than at a later date. I don't have a mortgage and I have not been a saver with the Credit Union but will ask them anyways. Thanks for your imput.

Advertisement