Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any comments on these double glazing suppliers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fastford

Hi,
    Thinking of going with Grady Joinery for my windows and doors.
    Need to make my mind up by end of the week. Anyone with any experience of them?
    Price seems good and from what I can see they do a good window.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Hi fastford

We just got the whole house done by them 3 weeks ago, 11 windows, French doors, new front door and new inside porch door. Triple glazed all round

Mick was the guy who quoted us, nice fella, he did what he said he would and put us as ease. He came back a few times to cover off our questions and make sure everything was right. They weren't the cheapest nor the most expensive but we did seem to get more value from their quote versus the others.

The two lads whon did the job were nice fellas, they were very clean and put the place right as much as they could.

It's a smashin job, we're very happy with them, and the house is much warmer than it was too. It took 2.5 days in all. They started at 8 and left at 5

But be warned there is a lot of dust after the job the lads will cover a fair bit but it still gets everywhere so be prepared to clean a few times, as in it will take a few goes. Ye need to touch up paint too.

Couldn't be happier with the work, looks good and they did a good job. What I really liked about the job though was the attention to detail. The didn't just do windows but they put in trims and capping to finish bits off and new sill covers in.

I'd have no hesitance in recommending them and already have to two friends

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fastford

Thanks for that Hick,good to hear.
    The dust won't bother us though as its a new build! We've got 6 different quotes and like you said they come in somewhere in the middle but think I'll go with them. I've a different rep to you my lad is called Sean.
    Have talked to a few people now who have used them and have got no negative feedback at all so really looking like I'll be giving them the job.

Np if you want more info, ye can PM me and we ca get in touch

Cheers
    Hick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DubPortNoise

There's a company in Dublin, www.lambstongue.ie that have the agency for Slimlite. They do conservation joinery, and also fit their units to metal windows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 millie13

got 3 scissor doors installed by bonner windows , cost 3,500 euros, nothing but trouble. The usual fine in measuring and fitting but for a call back did'nt want to know. Big gap between doors and a constant draft coming in had to get my own draft proofing and apply it myself on a product this expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Shinnie0503

Lawdie wrote: »
    Try Munster Joinery http://www.munsterjoinery.ie/ most buliders (in Dublin) use this company and a lot of self build is through them also.

I dont recommend Senator Windows.

And I dont recommend Munster Joinery! The windows were fine when they were put in first but slowly but surely each window started deteriorating over the years. They are in seven years now and we have had hinges replaced, rubbers replaced, etc. and had to pay Munster every time. Now we are in a position whereby even when the windows are closed, we can still hear the road traffic, wind and rain - they are literally falling out. Of course we went with the cheaper option at the beginning but big lesson, cheapest isnt always best!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

And I dont recommend Munster Joinery! The windows were fine when they were put in first but slowly but surely each window started deteriorating over the years. They are in seven years now and we have had hinges replaced, rubbers replaced, etc. and had to pay Munster every time. Now we are in a position whereby even when the windows are closed, we can still hear the road traffic, wind and rain - they are literally falling out. Of course we went with the cheaper option at the beginning but big lesson, cheapest isnt always best!:mad:

Have a look at this thread, its dedicated to ''Munster Joinery Maintenance''

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056279129

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eriman

Marlar wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of Doleta Windows in Kilkenny? We got a quote from them for Alu-Clad. Quotes provided for both double and triple glazing and they seem very competitive. Its worrying me that I cant find anything about them.... good or bad!

Marlar
    Interested to hear if you went with Doleta in the end? I went with them and am not happy with the job. Interested to get feedback from you or anyone else on the Doleta experience!

Thanks
    Eriman

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tinkernead

I know this post is a few years late. But dont go near Fairco not a company i would recommend at all . Defo consider looking at someone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 happydays33

hi all
    just wondering if anyone could help with this problem. I am trying to get in touch with a window company called hillcrest joinery. I got my windows and door in my house three years ago and am having problems with them. the windows are stuck - wont open and the front door is warped. I have tried and tried to contact this company but to no avail. What should I do?????Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

hi all
    just wondering if anyone could help with this problem. I am trying to get in touch with a window company called hillcrest joinery. I got my windows and door in my house three years ago and am having problems with them. the windows are stuck - wont open and the front door is warped. I have tried and tried to contact this company but to no avail. What should I do?????Thanks

Do a Solocheck, on the Co
    afraid if this is them, they are gone
    http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Hillcrest-Joinery-Ireland-Limited-350021

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Afraid to say another company gone.

http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/home_more_details/12-08-02/Bonner_Windows_Limited.aspx

Was looking for them to come back to service a door. alas.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sofioh

Hey i know you posted this a year ago but did you have any luck getting your windows restored??

I have just bought a cottage in Dublin 7...sounds pretty similar windows. I have been trying to get someone to strip/dip them and replace the glass but to no avail! I have 3 windows and I would love to make the 3rd into a door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

We had 5 windows and a double glazed french door and a single french door installed by HELE windows in Cork.
    http://www.helewindows.com/

We had 5 tilt and turn woodgrain effect upvc inside/out and the doors were the same but instead of toughened glass outer pane I had 6.4mm laminated glass on the 3 outer door panes. The lower windows are toughened glass and the glass is made by Carey glass, vista therm. All steel reinforced.

They were fantastic to deal with, came out to see us 2 hours from Cork, on time, showed us the brochure, recommended a style of window, measured.

A few days later a full written quotation was received in the post.

We were originally going for cream on outside and white inside, but he said come and see our showroom. Went over and really liked the oak effect woodgrain upvc. He said the price was 3,330 euro all in fitted:D
    Left a small deposit and a day later a new itemised receipt and quotation for the oak effect arrived.

Came back out to measure fully, and 10 days later they installed them:)

They have been in over 2 years now and still pleased with them for the price. Only thing is the top of the double French glazed doors can be a bit drafty, but I just havent got round to adjusting the hinges. They did come out to do it but couldn't do the hinges fully as they opened out onto a big drop at the time. It's not a major draught so havent bothered.

All in all pleased and would definately use again:D

We had munster joinery quote for same and they were hopeless, had to phone and ask them if they had done the quote and in the end the quote was nearly 6,000:eek:.

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Trebor59

for anyone looking for new PVC windows / doors I have used Orion Windows on several jobs as well as my own house. Good price good service very clean. I first met Mark some years ago when doing an unusual job for a client (recreating an unusual timber sliding door in PVC) Had numerous companies call to look at it, none of them except Orion could do what was needed and Orion were the cheapest as well. haven't used anyone else for windows since!
    Rob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

mal_1 wrote: »
    Afraid to say another company gone.

http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/home_more_details/12-08-02/Bonner_Windows_Limited.aspx

Was looking for them to come back to service a door. alas.....

Are Bonners really gone ? They seem to be back under a different name with an almost identical website. http://www.vindrvs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Are Bonners really gone ? They seem to be back under a different name with an almost identical website. http://www.vindrvs.com/

Hmmm
    Appears so, was speaking to them, and that appears to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 RachWatch

I'm going to check out Orion based on comments above - have a three-bed semi in Santry that badly needs new windows and doors!

check out grady joinery for another quote too, no affiliation, got them to do the whole house last year, very happy with the job, good price and very clean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

jojo123jo wrote: »
    Not sure this is the right place for this, but anyone know of any company (I'm in Dublin) who refurbishes/repairs old metal windows?

I love the slim sightlines and really don't want to replace them. All the other houses on the terrace have been replaced with either uPVC or aluminum and I don't like the look of them. I don't want to suffer another winter in the cold like last year either, though!

I've been reading up on 'Slimlite' glass from Scotland - double-glazed units that fit into single frames and are approved by Scottish Heritage. Any supplier/installer here in Ireland?

Any information I've found, googled, etc, is all UK based, can't seem to find anything for Ireland so any help at all would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Those old windows are mostly made by Crittall; they're very expensive to replace; best thing to do is strip them right down to the metal, then repaint them with rust proofer then a couple of coats of good radiator paint. I contacted Crittall and they said my local painter could do it, which he did. (I nearly died of the solvents he used to get the paint off, mind you.)

Two questions, by the way: 1) Is no one installing these windows themselves (this being the DIY forum), and 2) would anyone know how much, roughly, a Rational double-glazed bay window for a typical semi would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

RachWatch wrote: »
    I'm going to check out Orion based on comments above - have a three-bed semi in Santry that badly needs new windows and doors!

Hi Rachwatch,
    Have you made a decision on a supplier yet? Or gotten the windows in?
    Considering Orion at the moment myself, just wondering if there was any more feedback.
    Thanks
    Dave

Hi Dave
    We have decided to go ahead with Mark in Orion. We just met him last night. He was very good to deal with - gave good advice. I did get another quote in the same ballpark but I found him good to deal with. He is going ahead with the job in the next two weeks. I'll happily report back on the job on completion!!

Hi Dave
    We have decided to go ahead with Mark in Orion. We just met him last night. He was very good to deal with - gave good advice. I did get another quote in the same ballpark but I found him good to deal with. He is going ahead with the job in the next two weeks. I'll happily report back on the job on completion!!

Ah, cool.
    Had Mark out last night too actually, and like yourselves felt generally positive about it. Have had a LOT of quotes at this stage(7, i think..) but think I'm gonna bite the bullet and go with them too.
    Hope it goes well for you!
    DD

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Hi Dave

Ah, cool.
    Had Mark out last night too actually, and like yourselves felt generally positive about it. Have had a LOT of quotes at this stage(7, i think..) but think I'm gonna bite the bullet and go with them too.
    Hope it goes well for you!
    DD

You too DD

Just to say that Orion Windows have fitted the doors/windows - on time - they look good. Only thing we didn't know about was alarm contacts all have to be refitted (by an authorised alarm man) and there's a small bit of painting required around the windows where they had to plaster.
    Very pleased overall with the service and price from Mark / Orion.
    Thanks to fellow 'boarders' who recommended him.
    Regards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

If you had have attended the Ideal Home Show in the RDS this weekend,you would have seen around 10 different glazing companies with the latest in window and glazing technology on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

paddy147 wrote: »
    If you had have attended the Ideal Home Show in the RDS this weekend,you would have seen around 10 different glazing companies with the latest in window and glazing technology on display.

I was at the show at the weekend also Paddy and am in need of windows for our house in Swords. I was delighted to see a supplier with a stand there that I dealt with before for windows for the old house. They were Sean Doyle & Sons. They have a place in Dublin now but they manufacture everything in Roscommon I think. Might be worth a look. The last time I got windows from them there was a massive difference in price (8 years ago) between them and the usual Dublin suppliers. I gave them (Johnny) and other suppliers at the show my specification for the new windows so I will post here when I get all the quotes in.

I just found his card, its Sean Doyle & Sons Whitestown Business Park in Tallaght.

Just to say that Orion Windows have fitted the doors/windows - on time - they look good. Only thing we didn't know about was alarm contacts all have to be refitted (by an authorised alarm man) and there's a small bit of painting required around the windows where they had to plaster.
    Very pleased overall with the service and price from Mark / Orion.
    Thanks to fellow 'boarders' who recommended him.
    Regards

Glad to hear you're happy with the windows, adds a lil bit more confidence in my decision.
    The lads started fitting mine this morning, so hoping I'm as pleased with the results as yourelf.
    I've been holding off on getting alarm upgraded until windows were in, so shouldn't have any issues there.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

furmi wrote: »
    I was at the show at the weekend also Paddy and am in need of windows for our house in Swords. I was delighted to see a supplier with a stand there that I dealt with before for windows for the old house. They were Sean Doyle & Sons. They have a place in Dublin now but they manufacture everything in Roscommon I think. Might be worth a look. The last time I got windows from them there was a massive difference in price (8 years ago) between them and the usual Dublin suppliers. I gave them (Johnny) and other suppliers at the show my specification for the new windows so I will post here when I get all the quotes in.

I just found his card, its Sean Doyle & Sons Whitestown Business Park in Tallaght.

Have got 3 quotes so far and Sean Doyle's are just over €1700 cheaper than the next lowest quote. I still have to get 2 further quotes so will post her before I give the job to anyone.

Advertisement