Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any comments on these double glazing suppliers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

furmi wrote: »
    Have got 3 quotes so far and Sean Doyle's are just over €1700 cheaper than the next lowest quote. I still have to get 2 further quotes so will post her before I give the job to anyone.

Maybe you could post some details of the windows apart from the price.
    I have no knowledge of Doyle's, so I am not commenting on their work, but it's hard to see how a quote can vary so much, in these times, for the same quality of window, glass, fitting etc.

Also 1700, as a proportion of what total, would tell a lot more that just a figure in the difference.

So details such as the colour, frame thickness, double/triple glazed, U values, whats included in fitting, plastering of reveals etc, will give a clearer picture.Plus what back up you get, guarantee etc. The number of windows, how many openings, doors, Sliding/French, all internally or externally beaded.

I realise cost is a big factor, but if you were buying a car, you would not just give the saving between one car and another, ( a Merc is more expensive than an Audi )

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

Hi martinn123

I have requested a written quote so when I get it I will post exactly what it says but I did deal with Sean Doyle and Sons Circular Rd Roscommon before and for that 8 years that I lived in that house I didn't encounter any problems with their windows.

On one occasion there was an attempted break in where glass got broken over a weekend and they even came out and replaced it at speed and the cost was less than I expected. Unless I get a far lower quote I would be more tempted to go to Doyle but I will post here and would appreciate any advice or comments on their quote.

furmi wrote: »
    Hi martinn123

I have requested a written quote so when I get it I will post exactly what it says but I did deal with Sean Doyle and Sons Circular Rd Roscommon before and for that 8 years that I lived in that house I didn't encounter any problems with their windows.

On one occasion there was an attempted break in where glass got broken over a weekend and they even came out and replaced it at speed and the cost was less than I expected. Unless I get a far lower quote I would be more tempted to go to Doyle but I will post here and would appreciate any advice or comments on their quote.

hi furmi,

as I said I have no knowledge of Doyle's and am making no comment on their workmanship.

i see here however, many posts, along the lines of Co A is so much cheaper than Co B

Comparing price only is misleading, so by all means post details of the quote, I will post any thoughts which I hope you may find useful

Best of Luck with the renovations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It would be nice, though, to get a price guide from professionals here: how much, for instance, does a standard bay window in a semi-D cost in PVC, aluminium or timber double-glazing, in ditto triple-glazing, how much does high U-value glass add in, how much does low solar gain glass add in, and so on.

People seem to be getting varying quotes - it would be great to have a sticky with the prices one should be expected to pay for different sizes and glazings and different values.

It would be nice, though, to get a price guide from professionals here: how much, for instance, does a standard bay window in a semi-D cost in PVC, aluminium or timber double-glazing, in ditto triple-glazing, how much does high U-value glass add in, how much does low solar gain glass add in, and so on.

People seem to be getting varying quotes - it would be great to have a sticky with the prices one should be expected to pay for different sizes and glazings and different values.

While thats a reasonable question/s, there is no simple answer in that format. For a start whats a ''standard bay window in a semi-D'' the housing stock in Ireland means every estate is different, in size layout etc, semi-d 3 bed or 4 bed etc etc. Sometimes its down to the blocklayer on the day how wide he makes the openings.Labour is a factor, its not worth posting a price for 1 bay window, as if thats all thats in the job, you still will pay a day's labour for 2 men, wheras the same two men should be able to fit all the windows in a semi d in one day, so the labour cost will skew the price for 1 window.A better solution would be to post some details of the property, no of windows/doors, details of the type of material and a price, that way you might get a typical price for a house similar to your own.Glazing options are also variable, North/South Facing, so the same houses on opposite sides of the road, may have different glazing solutions.Finally, please don't put in those Mock bay windows upstairs, they rarely comply with Fire Reg's and you can't get out in an emergency.

• Advertisement

martinn123 wrote: »
    While thats a reasonable question/s, there is no simple answer in that format. For a start whats a ''standard bay window in a semi-D'' the housing stock in Ireland means every estate is different, in size layout etc, semi-d 3 bed or 4 bed etc etc. Sometimes its down to the blocklayer on the day how wide he makes the openings.Labour is a factor, its not worth posting a price for 1 bay window, as if thats all thats in the job, you still will pay a day's labour for 2 men, wheras the same two men should be able to fit all the windows in a semi d in one day, so the labour cost will skew the price for 1 window.A better solution would be to post some details of the property, no of windows/doors, details of the type of material and a price, that way you might get a typical price for a house similar to your own.Glazing options are also variable, North/South Facing, so the same houses on opposite sides of the road, may have different glazing solutions.Finally, please don't put in those Mock bay windows upstairs, they rarely comply with Fire Reg's and you can't get out in an emergency.

Very useful and interesting points! Thanks, martinn123. But is it not possible to have a rule-of-thumb at all?

By the way, is there agreed wisdom on what percentage of a home's heat is lost through the windows if they're inefficient?

Very useful and interesting points! Thanks, martinn123. But is it not possible to have a rule-of-thumb at all?

By the way, is there agreed wisdom on what percentage of a home's heat is lost through the windows if they're inefficient?

Not really, too many variables.The market today is skewed by the '' man with a Van'' who is dealing in cash.In addition Co's who have a cash flow problem will take on work, at stupid rates, just to pay wages.On heat loss, have a look at this , its from a thread over in C&P where experts in this area hang out.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81523432&postcount=3

Not really, too many variables.The market today is skewed by the '' man with a Van'' who is dealing in cash.In addition Co's who have a cash flow problem will take on work, at stupid rates, just to pay wages.On heat loss, have a look at this , its from a thread over in C&P where experts in this area hang out.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81523432&postcount=3

The man-with-a-van problem is universal in all home improvements.

But if there were a kind of standard scale of prices, it would be a lot easier to gauge the m-w-a-v's offers, and those of companies.

The man-with-a-van problem is universal in all home improvements.

But if there were a kind of standard scale of prices, it would be a lot easier to gauge the m-w-a-v's offers, and those of companies.

Not usually in my experience.The advice of getting 3/5 quotes stands, and making a comparison on price, and the quality of the product, and workmanship.That's why I commented above on the difference of 1700. in quotes.1700 as a proportion of 20K is OK, but as a proportion of 7K needs a closer look,

The only standard scale of prices would be what people paid, say in your estate, where the houses are similar, other than that its how long is a piece of string.
    In windows, many guy's buy from Window fabricators, and just fit them, so 3 quotes from guy's buying from the same factory will only vary, in terms of a cash deal, or the chap needs to pay wages on friday.
    The guy's who buy for cash, across the border, and fit for cash, are a problem, they have no backup, will not honour a guarantee, and will have a new mobie number next week.
    Co's who fabricate and fit, will vary more in terms of quality of product, glass spec, and quality of fitting.best advice is to use forums such as here to post details, and look for recomendations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

my experience with fairco:

i need a replacement back door and one window upstairs, so had a salesman call out to measure, he quoted a price of 1800 for both. he took a deposit of 600, and a surveyor called out a week later, contracts were signed, installation booked.

the next day, a man from head office called and said that the price was too low, full price was 2770, so as a gesture he would do it for 2000, and unless i paid an extra 200 they wouldn't do the job. (the surveyor was perfectly happy with the installion, it's not that a complication was found)

what about the deposit and signed contract, i asked? tough, we'll refund you.

what about your 35% off sale advertised on your website? nope, 2k or nothing.

i checked their paperwork, and it states that i cannot cancel at all, and am responsible for the full value of the contract if i do, but they reserve the right to cancel at any time at all.

now, they were already the most expensive of the 3 quotes i got, but we went with them because

(a) they are irish, and i believe in buying irish if at all possible
    (b) a larger company is less likely to go bust and cost us a deposit
    (c) i liked the security features of the door.

never ever again. i felt it to be underhand and dishonourable to start changing a deal after signing a contract and accepting a deposit. astonishing behaviour.

07734 wrote: »
    my experience with fairco:

i need a replacement back door and one window upstairs, so had a salesman call out to measure, he quoted a price of 1800 for both. he took a deposit of 600, and a surveyor called out a week later, contracts were signed, installation booked.

the next day, a man from head office called and said that the price was too low, full price was 2770, so as a gesture he would do it for 2000, and unless i paid an extra 200 they wouldn't do the job. (the surveyor was perfectly happy with the installion, it's not that a complication was found)

Scam, no way would the salesman be out by a grand, if he was he would not be working there for long.
    07734 wrote:

what about the deposit and signed contract, i asked? tough, we'll refund you.

what about your 35% off sale advertised on your website? nope, 2k or nothing.

i checked their paperwork, and it states that i cannot cancel at all, and am responsible for the full value of the contract if i do, but they reserve the right to cancel at any time at all.

Valuable lesson here, always read the smallprint.
    07734 wrote:

now, they were already the most expensive of the 3 quotes i got, but we went with them because

(a) they are irish, and i believe in buying irish if at all possible
    (b) a larger company is less likely to go bust and cost us a deposit

Not true, Bonner Windows went bust this year, read back on this thread, and customers lost deposits, plenty of other examples unfortunately.
    07734 wrote:

(c) i liked the security features of the door.

Have another look at the Website, at the bottom where the Kite-Marks are displayed, you will see...windows are made by Polyframe Trade, a UK Co, doors are made by WHS Halo, Halo is a type of PVC Section and is widely available, so the features you like are widely available.
    Fairco do not make windows/doors they buy them in and fit.
    07734 wrote:
    never ever again. i felt it to be underhand and dishonourable to start changing a deal after signing a contract and accepting a deposit. astonishing behaviour.

Quite right, disgraceful business ethic, should serve as a warning to others.

Scam, no way would the salesman be out by a grand, if he was he would not be working there for long.

Apologies, to clarify he originally stated a higher price but luckily they had a sale on at the moment... now, I wasn't born yesterday, they always have a "sale" on, and judged the price at the 1800 mark

Apologies, to clarify he originally stated a higher price but luckily they had a sale on at the moment... now, I wasn't born yesterday, they always have a "sale" on, and judged the price at the 1800 mark

Full Price 2770, less advertised Sale 35% = 1800 ( actually its 1800.50 )

Full Price 2770, less advertised Sale 35% = 1800 ( actually its 1800.50 )

yes, exactly. i made that point to them, didn't matter.

yes, exactly. i made that point to them, didn't matter.

Report them to Advertising Standards, Re 35% advertised discount, they have been on TV with this crap as well, and in Newspapers

talk to Consumer Advice re Signed Contract and Deposit paid,

You have been conned, no matter what it says in their smallprint,

2770 is an absurd price for a back-door and 1 window, 1800 is just about OK,

misleading Advertising, plus sharp practise.

Am making the complaint re: advertising standards, no need for consumer advice people as I don't want them in my house at any price now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

They are a despicable company and should be closed down.
    More people need top know how bad a shower they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Wow, had only seen good things about Fairco up til now.
    I had a bad experience with them recently too.
    When the sales guy initially came out, he said that the way all other companies proposed to do the job (involving awkward bay windows) was a cheap and shoddy job. He proposed what sounded like a better job, but that other people said wasn't possible, which I was delighted with.
    When the engineer came out to do final survey, he told me the proposed job wasn't possible and it would have to be done the oother way (the "cheap and shoddy"way).
    Felt they were misleading and dishonest about the job, and as a result I thought the price should be lowered.
    When I said this to salesman, he said that he was offended and walked away from the job.
    Luckily hadn't paid a deposit; because when sales guy organised to come sign off on deal he never mentioned any deposit, then turned up expecting me to have a grand in my pocket.
    Obviously they didn't want my 7K as much as i thought they would.
    Still bemused by the whole thing.

Their products do look the part, but somebody really has their head up their arse as far as doing business wioth customers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You will get a far better deal,if you go outside of Dublin or go to the small single window fitter,as these people just want the work and a few extra quid to cover costs

The bigger companies will have you and your wallet...if you let them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

paddy147 wrote: »
    You will get a far better deal,if you go outside of Dublin or go to the small single window fitter,as these people just want the work and a few extra quid to cover costs

The bigger companies will have you and your wallet...if you let them.

Any recommendations?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Any recommendations?

Yep,a few allright.

Have to dig out the little black book....AGAIN.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

i havent seen that many responses to the quality of the windows and doors from weatherglaze in gorey. i was going to go with regency windows who with out doubt have a quality product but am now considering the weatherglaze. going to get sliding sash windows, casement windows and front and rear door...pvc windows and probably a composite door for the front and pvc for the rear....

owen85 wrote: »
    i havent seen that many responses to the quality of the windows and doors from weatherglaze in gorey. i was going to go with regency windows who with out doubt have a quality product but am now considering the weatherglaze. going to get sliding sash windows, casement windows and front and rear door...pvc windows and probably a composite door for the front and pvc for the rear....

Weatherglaze are a well est'd Co who manufacture their own Windows, and also have a Glass Line to make the D/G Units. So if there is a problem, size etc, it can be rectified all in house, unlike Co's who buy in windows who need a new window and a seperate D/G unit in the event of a problem

I think they still use Duraflex, Deeplas White Pvc, its a Gloss White, most others are a Matt white, so make sure you like the colour of the frames, if white.

Only issue I would have is how they treat the windows in transit, I have seen a complete mess of broken frames, glass, when the truck is opened up, so check the integrity of the windows before they are fitted.
    Other than that, a good Co with a good reputation, who supply lots of trade fitters, so other quotes you get, may be for W/G windows anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dinger53

I'm looking for recommendations for double glazing suppliers in the Dublin area. Going on this thread I have asked Asgard to give me a quote (they are coming out on sat), called Grady joinery (am waiting for them to come back to me) and was thinking of asking a couple of other companies for a quote if anyone could recommend a couple more (I'm on the fence about Fairco)? We are looking to get our front porch door and 3 front windows replaced (probably double glazed but I'm still trying to work out the advantages of one type over another...) We haven't replaced them since my husband bought the house 7 years ago and there is quite a bit of condensation on the inside of the window damaging the wallpaper and paintwork - some people have said because the windows are so old the seal is probably broken? We got a quote last year from Senator for €7200 so definitely not going near them but any advice about suppliers, window quality etc. would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 RachWatch

Hi Dinger53 - based on comments on this post I recently used Orion Windows. I found them helpful and good to deal with. Their costs were fair (I got a couple of quotes). They came when they said they would, they were clean in their installation. I'd have no hesitation in recommending them and getting a quote from them. Tell Mark, Rachel sent you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 smartbodydublin

Am looking for pvc window installer in south dublin. Asgard at top of list. I saw on this site an add for irishhomeglazing.ie based on the Nangor road.

They are using the exact same list offer that Asgard has had up for several months but they are listing a set price much lower.

They are both based near each other so does anyone know if they are connected or use same supplier. Still leaning toward Asgard as spoke to them and the main man answered all my questions.

It's a big investment as like many am broke and can't have problems that are not supported under guarentee as has happened to a few on here.

Had similar problems with simply chasing repairs under guarantee so having the company up and morph into something else that legally you can't chase is a ....... pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dinger53

Thanks Rachwatch - I'll check them out. Yeah Smartbody I'm in the same boat - don't have a fortune to spend but don't want to cut corners now and regret it down the line if a company goes belly up and we've nothing to fall back on...I'll let you know how it goes with Asgard on saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 smartbodydublin

Rang Irishhomeglazing.ie mobile and got no answer and rang landline, got answering machine.

I never put price as a final deciding factor. I was and am still fairly settled on Asgard. The issues I worry about are how strong different windows are as the scum are getting bolder on how they gain entry, though usually it's through front or back door.

A suggesting that's cheap to implement. Get anti-snap barrels in your locks. I've read that scum can easily break the standard barrel and then put in their own and can then open the door by simply disengaging the locks.

I see on Asgard site says they use anti-snap as standard on their doors anyway, and it's a minor item to ask for whoever you purchase from. I fitted them last year to my partners old upv doors. I saw them on a site called thehandlestore.co.uk I think it's called. You have to ring to complete over seas orders with them, can't do it fully online, not the times I ordered anyways. Got front door armored handle off them as well as it makes it very hard to get at barrel. You don't need both but the price was good so why not make it really hard for those interested. I got same for a friends last year as well. Follow instructions on the site that tells you how to measure your current barrel so you can select right size.

Other places sells them I'm sure, but at the time their's was best price even with shipping.

Dinger, pm me or let's know how you get along with Asgard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LUVADUV

Has anyone used keane windows before, if so were they expensive? We have 8 windows (2 very large) 2 sets of french doors and a new front door to replace. Any other recommendations would be very welcome.

Advertisement