Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any comments on these double glazing suppliers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

i narrowed my search down to asgard and regency windows. both seemed to have quality products but i went with regency as i thought they had a better window and Philip turned up to my house with corss sections of the windows and entire windows of the type i was thinking of going for. i got a bit off the price which in the end made it almost the same price as asgard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ancuisle

I'm looking for an email address for John Bracken windows, If any one has one can you please PM it? Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Superior Windows in Dundalk are by far one of the best and cheapest around.

They will travel all around Leinster to do work.Their work is top notch aswell.

I speak from personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dinger53

John from Asgard came at 3.30pm on sat (like he said - very impressed I didn't have to waste my day waiting around) and was in and out pretty quickly. The quote comes in about €4k (a bit more than the other crowd) but we're going to go to the showroom this weekend and if we're happy with the quality of the windows we'll probably just go with him. I still haven't heard back from Gradys...I think we'll get one more quote and leave it at that.
    Smartbody I'd definitely recommend checking him out and I'll let you know who we decide to go with!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Just on Gradys... they are tough to get in contact with at first, don't know why, it's not a great first impression, but once they do get involved they offer a very good service and good pricing...well were happy with them at least

• Advertisement

Dinger53 wrote: »
    John from Asgard came at 3.30pm on sat (like he said - very impressed I didn't have to waste my day waiting around) and was in and out pretty quickly. The quote comes in about €4k (a bit more than the other crowd) but we're going to go to the showroom this weekend and if we're happy with the quality of the windows we'll probably just go with him. I still haven't heard back from Gradys...I think we'll get one more quote and leave it at that.
    Smartbody I'd definitely recommend checking him out and I'll let you know who we decide to go with!

Exactly what are you getting for 4k euro??

• Registered Users Posts: 34 smartbodydublin

I went with Asgard. Will see how install goes. Was at their showroom twice. Good set up. Their in business over two decades so I expect their guys and the products they stand by are good, or they'd be well represented on here like some other companies.. I checked them out myself based on boards.ie posts.

The Elite63 window system as advertised by them is used by several companies. If you google it you'll find it's a well established brand used in the uk as well. I may go for a door from them in future. They carry, as do many installers, an Irish made composite door, Palllidio, that looks very well specified and built.
    I'm sure there is a good few sound companies out there. Would advice the usual, which is look at company and then price. Asgard price was good for what I wanted. They have a good pricing guide on their web site. Get quotes, get idea what product your getting, and some advice/feedback on installers work in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I went with Asgard. Will see how install goes. Was at their showroom twice. Good set up. Their in business over two decades so I expect their guys and the products they stand by are good, or they'd be well represented on here like some other companies.. I checked them out myself based on boards.ie posts.

The Elite63 window system as advertised by them is used by several companies. If you google it you'll find it's a well established brand used in the uk as well. I may go for a door from them in future. They carry, as do many installers, an Irish made composite door, Palllidio, that looks very well specified and built.
    I'm sure there is a good few sound companies out there. Would advice the usual, which is look at company and then price. Asgard price was good for what I wanted. They have a good pricing guide on their web site. Get quotes, get idea what product your getting, and some advice/feedback on installers work in the past.

Good advice, hope it all goes well, just one question do they fabricate their own windows or buy them in.
    If they buy them in, the windows will only be as good as their supplier, and they will install.

Best of luck

Hello Martinni123.
    I've no idea regarding where windows built. Could be Ireland or Uk. When I asked, was told Asgard don't make own windows now as simply not viable model for them anymore. That was a very straight answer.

I then looked into what I was getting and was happy with it. The manufactured is called Spectus and gives a standard 10 year product warranty. The full specification on windows I chose can be seen on on their site, just google spectus and follow tabs on site. I checked what I was getting by doing a few searches. I believe I'm dealing with a good installer and a well established supplier of a good product. Both are very likely to stay in business as I'm seeing no legacy of posts etc suggesting otherwise. Good practice and care tends to be spread by word of mouth and forums. There's plenty more good people around, just do some checking as best you can and don't be in rush. I started looking at installers nearly a year ago. Grady was on list but getting hold of them didn't happen at the time, but have only read and heard good things. Asgard was 15min drive to showroom so that was handy and was strongly biased toward after meeting and discussing my wants. Nothing was pushed, I was simply shown what they had.

Google them, Spectus Elite63 window, then google Spectus the manufacturer. They've very informative web site with all info clear to read. I'm happy with that more then an inhouse maker as Spectus has been around over 20 years and is big established supplier. So very likely to be around to honor a manufacturing defect if any crop up. Beyond that, I've positive expectation of install quality from this installer based on boards.ie posts and chatting to them.

Hello Martinni123.
    I've no idea regarding where windows built. Could be Ireland or Uk. When I asked, was told Asgard don't make own windows now as simply not viable model for them anymore. That was a very straight answer.

I then looked into what I was getting and was happy with it. The manufactured is called Spectus and gives a standard 10 year product warranty. The windows I'm getting are certified to current required standards and are A rated.

Google them, Spectus Elite63 window, then google Spectus the manufacturer. They've very informative web site with all info clear to read. I'm happy with that more then an inhouse maker as Spectus has been around over 20 years and is big established supplier. So very likely to be around to honor a manufacturing defect if any crop up. Beyond that, I've positive expectation of install quality from this installer based on boards.ie posts and chatting to them.

Just to clarify a few points.
    Spectus is a manufacturer of Extruded PVC, i.e the raw material for the window. it comes in 6M lengths.
    Elite 63 is one of their products and it is widely used.
    The guarantee you get will be from Asgard, no one else.

The reason I asked the question, is so you are aware, the window will be made in a factory, from Spectus material, but not their, hinges, handels, or glass unit, just the PVC.

Nothing wrong with any of this, just want you to fully understand the process.

• Advertisement

Hello Martinni123,

So the original product maker doesn't guarantee the product your saying, only the installer. It does say on the Spectus site that all their systems come with 10 year cover. I must look into that and try understand what they mean as that would be misleading I'm sure. Thanks for pointing that out. Will ask Asgard about this point.

Hello Martinni123,

So the original product maker doesn't guarantee the product your saying, only the installer. It does say on the Spectus site that all their systems come with 10 year cover. I must look into that and try understand what they mean as that would be misleading I'm sure. Thanks for pointing that out. Will ask Asgard about this point.

Correct, a window has many components, hinges, glass, handels etc, and the PVC has been cut to size, welded, to become a window for your home. All this takes place in factory somewhere.
    Spectus offer a guarantee, to Window makers who buy their product, but you will have no contract with Spectus, or the Co who make the Hinges, or the Glass , but with Asgard

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ancuisle

I'm also in the process of replacing my windows. I have received a quote from Grady's and K&K Windows.(Haven't started to compare product specs yet). I've requested a number of other quotes which are taking a while to come in...

Has anyone had any work done by K&K Windows(Gorey) recently?

Martinni123,

Thanks for full heads up. It was me assuming something to be quotable fact based on language and context used on Spectus site, which seemed to say what I then related without me first fully checking. They are as you explained giving guarantee to installer, not end recipient. I live and learn. Thanks again.

I've stuck with single pane old wood sashes for over 20 years. Painting and repairing was easy for me, but last few winters have made heat retention in house a battle. Done fairly rounded insulation in house along with plenty of plaster used to seal up many gaps in old ceiling dry lining in attic. Board members were a help with suggestions/advice regarding roof venting.
    Condensation became big issue so I put in powerful extractor in kitchen which helped. Am hoping new windows will reduce condensing on windows more as still big issue with water not able to escape through roof easily anymore. It helped kill window frames before I got motivated to put in extractor...ahem. They were on the to do list for long time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 celticopia

I haven't seen any mention of DL Windows. I am a bit nervous, I have agreed to go on sight with their services. They are doing 7 windows and a front door, triple glazed for 3900. Anyone have any experience with this crowd before it's too late? I can't see any reviews on the interweb for them, or any mention at all? IF I hear nothing I will come back with how my experience goes. So far they are the most reasonable quote we got out of weatherglaze/allied windows, fairco, and dooley.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mameadhbh

Hi sorry I know most of this has probably been asked already but we have a big job to do. We are looking to install new windows in an old farmhouse. Currently the is very old timber framed (double-glazed i think) windows but the gas is well gone from the windows and some of the windows only have one pane of glass. I was just wondering what exactly I should be looking for in the new windows. I'm mainly interested in heat/insulation as at the moment it feels like we just have plastic instead of glass. The problem is I need a very relaible company as we can't afford to do all the windows in one go, there are 26 windows, 16 of which are 8 foot long, alond with new front and back door. We are prob looking to do this in 2-4 sets but I dont want the hassle of getting one kind of window, and if I go to get more done in a few months, the companys gone. I don't know if these companies travel far but we are in north dublin so I suppose dublin/meath/louth area. Also can you just order windows without getting the company to install them, have a friend who is very experienced buiklder who say he would be able to install them at a very reasonable price but is this making it more complicated for ourselves, say if they break a window or something, I presume the company would be responsible for replacement, and my fiend would not??? Any advice/ideas and suggestions of reliable companies greatly appreciated

mameadhbh wrote: »
    Hi sorry I know most of this has probably been asked already but we have a big job to do. We are looking to install new windows in an old farmhouse. Currently the is very old timber framed (double-glazed i think) windows but the gas is well gone from the windows and some of the windows only have one pane of glass. I was just wondering what exactly I should be looking for in the new windows. I'm mainly interested in heat/insulation as at the moment it feels like we just have plastic instead of glass. The problem is I need a very relaible company as we can't afford to do all the windows in one go, there are 26 windows, 16 of which are 8 foot long, alond with new front and back door. We are prob looking to do this in 2-4 sets but I dont want the hassle of getting one kind of window, and if I go to get more done in a few months, the companys gone. I don't know if these companies travel far but we are in north dublin so I suppose dublin/meath/louth area. Also can you just order windows without getting the company to install them, have a friend who is very experienced buiklder who say he would be able to install them at a very reasonable price but is this making it more complicated for ourselves, say if they break a window or something, I presume the company would be responsible for replacement, and my fiend would not??? Any advice/ideas and suggestions of reliable companies greatly appreciated

Ring DL Windows, they are in Garristown, they have a rep who can call out and take you through the options.

As they make the windows no trouble is ordering as supply only, but you will have to give them precise measurements, openings etc, and your friend the builder can fit them.

They will not be responsible for a replacement if they are broken, unless they are delivered broken, and any warranty issues will result in the usual, ''it's the fitters problem'' type of argument, but they have been around a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ger66

Don`t consider Fairco Windows, you are buying yourself nothing but trouble. They are by no means cheap, and their window fittings/locks are shoddy. Have had nothing but trouble with doors "dropping" and their customer service is non existent. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

ger66 wrote: »
    Don`t consider Fairco Windows, you are buying yourself nothing but trouble. They are by no means cheap, and their window fittings/locks are shoddy. Have had nothing but trouble with doors "dropping" and their customer service is non existent. :mad:

True A shower worst Company ever.Crap windows as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bru10

Artane windows wouldnt stand by the warranty on the windows in my parents house. Everything went well until draughts start coming in all the windows, they were still under warranty so the old pair contaced them and were basically given multiple dates where someone was meant to show up but it never happened. One of the windows was damaged during an attempted break in so we contacted them again hoping they would agree to honour the warranty along with extra paid work. They agreed to this. They then came out and only fitted the window we were paying for and left the warranty work undone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

bru10 wrote: »
    Artane windows wouldnt stand by the warranty on the windows in my parents house. Everything went well until draughts start coming in all the windows, they were still under warranty so the old pair contaced them and were basically given multiple dates where someone was meant to show up but it never happened. One of the windows was damaged during an attempted break in so we contacted them again hoping they would agree to honour the warranty along with extra paid work. They agreed to this. They then came out and only fitted the window we were paying for and left the warranty work undone.

Complain to the NCA about them.

bru10 wrote: »

Hang on a minute....I thought that Artane Windows went bust last year or in late 2011??:confused:

They are currently fitting windows across the road from where im renting. Look in business to me with the trailer complete with advertising parked outside the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Poor people

It was seeing them across the road while walking down to the parents house that led to me posting. It was their van and their advertising trailer parked on my road.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Hang on a minute....I thought that Artane Windows went bust last year or in late 2011??:confused:

Yep, Cartrose Ltd, T/A Artane Windows, Liquidator Appointed 1st June,2012

http://archive-ie.com/page/10726/2012-05-16/http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/home_more_details/12-05-14/Cartrose_Limited_T_A_Artane_Windows.aspx

martinn123 wrote: »

So how do they still operate then?

How does the system work??

paddy147 wrote: »
    So how do they still operate then?

How does the system work??

Simple, you form a Ltd Co, say ABC Ltd, that Co then registers a '' Business Name'' with CRO. Now you have ABC Ltd T/A Artane Windows.

If you get into difficulty, you liquidate the Ltd Co, and the Creditors, Warranties etc, all go away.

So you form a new Ltd Co, say XYZ Ltd, and do it again with CRO, now you get XYZ Ltd T/A Artane Windows, and off you go.

If you do a search on www.cro.ie for this name, you will see it has been registered 5 times between, 1985 and 2013, giving the impression it's been in business a long time.

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanySearch.aspx

Keep the Web-site, phone No. and advertising material, buy the van's off the liquidator, no one will notice.

martinn123 wrote: »
    Simple, you form a Ltd Co, say ABC Ltd, that Co then registers a '' Business Name'' with CRO. Now you have ABC Ltd T/A Artane Windows.

If you get into difficulty, you liquidate the Ltd Co, and the Creditors, Warranties etc, all go away.

So you form a new Ltd Co, say XYZ Ltd, and do it again with CRO, now you get XYZ Ltd T/A Artane Windows, and off you go.

If you do a search on www.cro.ie for this name, you will see it has been registered 5 times between, 1985 and 2013, giving the impression it's been in business a long time.

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanySearch.aspx

Keep the Web-site, phone No. and advertising material, buy the van's off the liquidator, no one will notice.

So basicly you can be shut down today and more or less open back up again next day and still keep on doing the same thing??
    Yikes.:eek::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 sandc1611

Can anyone advise if they have ever dealt with a company calles Orion Windows. Looking to have new windows fitted front and back and am currently getting prices from Orion and Keane Windows

Advertisement