Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any comments on these double glazing suppliers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

Check out post 60 on this page. Myself and a friend have both used grady joinery and found them to be v. good. They have a high quality product, and have had it tested and rated by the appropriate bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ailsabt

In the end I used Midland Windows and they did a very good job - I've no complaints. Very nice windows, tidy job and well fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Big Tone wrote: »
    I've heard and read bad reports about Munster Joinery and our architect has told us to stay far away and that he wont deal with them anyway due to bad experieces. So what are the alternatives? We're looking at Senator Windows and have now got a quote for windows and doors. Are there other alternatives out there as we dont want to put all our eggs in one basket?

6 years on and Senator are still coming out twice a year to "fix" my windows and doors. Alternating between wind howling around the door, or impossible to open without two hands and a shove. None of the windows are airtight either.
    I know I wouldnt be choosing them again. The quality of the product seems ok, the "fitters" who did mine belong in the zoo.
    Bodge-tastic everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭newhouse

have just gotten grady windows - am happy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

newhouse wrote: »
    have just gotten grady windows - am happy with them

Glad you had some joy out of them - I contacted them twice and they never bothered to contact me back. Recession, what recession!

I went with Fairco instead, installation should be next week. Fingers crossed all goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

Now that you mention that, I remember that I did have to chase grady a bit to get the original quote. But all went very smooth after the first house call.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

I'm the same, I've had both Athlone windows and Weatherglaze out to me in two days and both turned around the quote very quickly, I'm still waiting for Grady to firm up the date, was supposed to be monday, then tomorrow, now thursday, I've told em I want a quote by Friday, as i'm ordering next week, I can't do anymore for them than that. That said the reason I went to them for a quote is that they get good reviews on their work, but then so do the others I chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BobbiB

I'll second the posts about how bad munster are. We went with them cuz hubby (he works in construction) knew the rep and said he'd give her the sale but warned her there was to be no messing etc, we even gave them an extra week on the lead time they gave us just to make sure everything was right. What landed at the house was a disgrace. Out of 17 items 12 were wrong(and they still fitted the stuff even after being told they were wrong), they first landed on site 12 weeks ago and they still haven't fix everything. Our front door frame is warped as well (they brought the wrong insert and it took a good 7/8 weeks for them to bring the new one), we can't lock the house so we can't get any supplies delivered so the house has pretty much come to a stop. They are supposed to turning up tomorrow but i'm not holding my breath. We had the insulators in a few days after munster and cuz they couldn't fit half the windows/doors we ended up having to spend 1500 on the red tube like bags that filled the window gaps along the blockwork (the 1500 includes labour etc) as there was a 2 month wait if we missed our slot with the insulation company.

We haven't started ringing ballydesmond yet, if they don't turn up tomorrow i'm gonna start, worst thing is hubby used recommend them to alot of clients he deals with, he isn't recommending them anymore, so hopefully that might effct them a bit as he used throw alot of people the reps way. Clearly no quality control there. Worst thing was everything on the checksheet that was attached to the wrong door was correct, bloody morans. So sorry we don't with the orginal crowd in tralee (can't remember there name)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Just
    SteM wrote: »
    Glad you had some joy out of them - I contacted them twice and they never bothered to contact me back. Recession, what recession!

I went with Fairco instead, installation should be next week. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Just thought I would follow up on this. Fairco came on 15/11 and the installation went very well. Myself and the wife are delighted with their quality of work and the new windows make a huge difference - something we noticed this week obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 presleyslave

I had Artane Windows put in new windows and doors in our 160 year old house two weeks ago. They did a great job, very clean and neat work.The crew were friendly and professional and the job was done in a day and a half. They were the most competitive quote of three quotes received and the owner Niall rang several times to make sure we were happy and that all was going to our satisfaction. They took away all the old hardwood windows and doors without as much as a splinter left to be seen. All in all we were very happy with this company and would highly recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I had Artane Windows put in new windows and doors in our 160 year old house two weeks ago. They did a great job, very clean and neat work.The crew were friendly and professional and the job was done in a day and a half. They were the most competitive quote of three quotes received and the owner Niall rang several times to make sure we were happy and that all was going to our satisfaction. They took away all the old hardwood windows and doors without as much as a splinter left to be seen. All in all we were very happy with this company and would highly recommend them.

^^^^ Cough spam :rolleyes: ^^^^^^^^^

They took away all the old hardwood windows and doors without as much as a splinter left to be seen. All in all we were very happy with this company and would highly recommend them.

Shame you probably should of held on to them so people will pay good money for originals :rolleyes: sounds like you wasted yout time with the first quotes! you should of went straight to the bank and paid in advance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's just so amazing how transparent these glowing references are from first time posters. Tripadvisor is pretty much the same, if you see a review that's straight out of the brochure, it's a first time poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭MANSFIELD

I got five A rated double glazed UPVC windows fitted a month ago by Senator. I found senator a great company to deal with , salesman called out measured old windows and gave me the price for 5 new windows a few days later ,

Same guy called back and remeasured windows ,i paid 50% deposit to him , he said windows would be ready in 4 or 5 weeks which they were.Two Cork lads fitted the new windows and made a great job of fitting them plus they were very tidy - no mess whatsoever.I paid rest of money when windows were fitted.

I'm getting senator back to put in 4 more double glazed windows for me. I'm very happy with senator and glad i got them to replace my windows cause i have heard of some peoples bad experiances when getting new windows.

The windows were ready when they said and they were fitted when the said plus all windows were exactly what i ordered - very important ! :)

Just in case anyone missed it, presleyslave put up a post in their defence but then deleted it. Not sure why, there is some quality feedback offered, I'm off to get sum engerlish grinds and a quote from Artane windows!!
    Originally Posted by presleyslave
    I am amazed at how puerile some of you posters are. My post is not spam, it just happens to be the truth that this company did a great job. The original thread asked for feedback from people and I gave my feedback. If you don't like it don't lose sleep over it. There is more to life after all...Oh and by the way hick, you need some lessons in English. It's " you should have held" and " you should have gone".

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Just came across this thread and said I'd give my tupence worth.

BONNER....Bonnner!!! I wouldn't use them if the whole kit and kaboodle was free. Nice as pie when looking for the contract but as soon as the deposit was paid, the hassle began. Wont go into all the details as there's to many, but in short, we were promised windows/doors in 4 weeks, after 13 weeks was still waiting for door. Workmanship is very poor, window frames are not 'square' thus leading to windows not sitting properly, some windows now leaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Just came across this thread and said I'd give my tupence worth.

BONNER....Bonnner!!! I wouldn't use them if the whole kit and kaboodle was free. Nice as pie when looking for the contract but as soon as the deposit was paid, the hassle began. Wont go into all the details as there's to many, but in short, we were promised windows/doors in 4 weeks, after 13 weeks was still waiting for door. Workmanship is very poor, window frames are not 'square' thus leading to windows not sitting properly, some windows now leaking.

Wasn't an apeer door was it Bob? These seem to take an eternity to come down from the north.

That was the excuse my fitter used anyway, another waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

got a "special quote" from Fairco of €5700 for new front door and 5 windows - does this price sound good - there Sales pitch is spot on, wondering what their fitting after and after-sales service like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Lawdie wrote: »
    Try Munster Joinery http://www.munsterjoinery.ie/ most buliders (in Dublin) use this company and a lot of self build is through them also.

I dont recommend Senator Windows.

Would not touch Munster with a bardge pole!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kevinog

In response to THEMANDAN6611 it seems a bit steep ,I have just got in 2 new doors and 7 windows, the windows at the front of the house are sash windows and the front door has glass panels up the side. They are just in 3 weeks and I had the salesman and the "snagger " out on the day after they were fitted ,last Friday I had an inspector out to check the work their is a few small problems nothing major I think ! and I was told that the "snagger " is coming on Friday to fix everything it is Munster Joinery who installed them and so far I am pleased but check back here on Monday and I will let you know how I got on
    PS If I were you I would get a quote of MJ they are very keen at the moment as I got some quotes from 4 companies in the Dundalk area and they were too expensive, by the way I am not connected to any window installers and like a lot off others I heard some bad stories about MJ and I came on the boards to check them out I Had some carpenters working at the house for me and the builder that they work for uses MJ and it was them that told me to give MJ a call, the carpenters did say that 3 or 4 years ago that MJs work was sh**e but it has improved vastly ,probably because every body is looking for the business now and the Celtic Tiger is dead and all companies are going after the smaller jobs that they would not look at a couple of years ago..... check back on Monday and I will let you know how I got on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ive used munster Joinery for the last 10 years and ive found them to be very good, both price wise and service.

Ive had problems, but this is to be expected, and while very rare, andy problems were sorted with no hassle and with reasonable speed.

With munster ive found some people say their windows are crap. Indeed, if you compare tesco's yellow pack ham Carrolls ham you will find tesco is crap, but tesco also sell tesco finest range which is just as good.

My point being, munster do a wide range of windows, ranging in quality, you pay for what you want - that said, i have not had a problem with their cheaper window on any of my property or projects ive put them in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clovelly

I have been trying to contact John Bracken Windows and to no avail. Can anyone help me get the correct contact number. I have seen his work and need to find a contact and there's nothing on any website. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bobbuk

Im in the process of getting quotes at the monent, has anyone ant experiences with Wright Windows ? they seem very keen...

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

clovelly wrote: »
    I have been trying to contact John Bracken Windows and to no avail. Can anyone help me get the correct contact number. I have seen his work and need to find a contact and there's nothing on any website. Thank you

Bracken Windows & Conservatories
    The Lodge
    Sheane Road
    Co Kildare
    Telephone 045 524451
    Fax 045 524752

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jojo123jo

Not sure this is the right place for this, but anyone know of any company (I'm in Dublin) who refurbishes/repairs old metal windows?

I love the slim sightlines and really don't want to replace them. All the other houses on the terrace have been replaced with either uPVC or aluminum and I don't like the look of them. I don't want to suffer another winter in the cold like last year either, though!

I've been reading up on 'Slimlite' glass from Scotland - double-glazed units that fit into single frames and are approved by Scottish Heritage. Any supplier/installer here in Ireland?

Any information I've found, googled, etc, is all UK based, can't seem to find anything for Ireland so any help at all would be really appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi Folks,

Looking to replace a sliding door and replace a front door with an Apeer 70.
    Anyone have any experience of the Apeer door or Pendico of Clane. Price quoted is very reasonable. Also had a quote from Global Improvements and are quoting nearly triple the cost from Pendico. Looks like the same product and the brochure is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭embracingLife

bobbuk wrote: »
    Im in the process of getting quotes at the monent, has anyone ant experiences with Wright Windows ? they seem very keen...

Personally I have no experience with them.....but they fitted windows to half of new houses/apartments in Dublin the past 20 odd years! I'm sure there are people reading this site that have their windows in their house!

Wright supplied mostly direct to builders but now as with everyone they supply to the public too.

Yes, they have very good windows and a good repuation. Located in Milltownpass,Co Westmeath, small village outside Kinnegad on the old N6.

Hi Folks,

anybody heard of or had any dealings with baumeister windows, they are based in Ballyogan dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

ive used artane. pretty good, dealt with a guy called noel who was very helpful but they did arrive with the same window the wrong size twice. i didnt complain he gave me the two other windows which worked perfect on the next job.
    Used Munster and like aprevious poster said they do have a budget range and a high end. in general they are ok but there fitters just want the easy life. if there is anything slightly out of the ordinary they just walk away and letting the area snagging fitter fix it later. Even if it means leaving someones house open to the elements. The main items i would not order with them are there solid teak doors. they just seem to be thrown together and usually twisted.
    the main crowd i use now are ulster misfits. dont let the name throw you off. they originally started selling off other companies misfits. now they make there own also. Good quality window neat welds and superb after sales service. called up about a job they done three years ago and they sent someone over straight away. repaired the door free of charge even though it was users fault .
    Rationel i believe are way overpriced for what you get
    Dk windows on southside are pretty good to deal with also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

All our family and friends has got Keane windows based behing lidl in fonthill industrial estate.They used to be based in Celbridge. Very good service and installation was very neat.

our cousin just got all his aluminium single glaze windows changed to double glazed units and he expected to have to redecorate all the rooms due to the installation but they were so neat you wouldn't know they were there.

http://www.keanewindows.com/

Advertisement