Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unseen footage of the riots.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Freelancer wrote:
    Wow what an original and insightful comment.

I say lads look at this two days afterwards he's come along and frightfully witty of him he's referenced that popular song by those young beat musicians the Kaiser Chiefs. To think no one else here or anywhere else even thought to do that! Gosh what a rare and insightful mind you have young man, head and shoulders above the rest of us.

Wow, thanks! God people are so nice on this website!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

very nice skywalker.
    i think there's a brief glimpse of the girl from the start of this thread (the budding journalist photographer)

not sure if she'd like her face blurred or something (it's only a fleeting glimpse of who i presume is her, given the timing and circumstances)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Hopefully more raw footage like that comes out. Lots of clear faces.

Most importantly it really hammers home and the age of the people causing the trouble. The stuff on Nassau St. is almost entirely teenagers. And if you note the group on O' Connell St, there are several older people inciting the others with song and chants while it's the younger folk who actually throw the bricks and cause the trouble.

There must be clearer footage in particular of the petrol bomb.

This argument about the police not wanting to adminster a heavy hand because of the may day riots... The may day riots were a clear case of the Gardai over stepping the mark. If that wasn't true you wouldn't have seen so many remove their identification. This riot couldn't be more different.. That said, I think they did an excellent job in unusual circumstances. They could have done with more riot police, that's clear... But can the force sustain a larger number in a country which generally doesn't require them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Amazing footage, somehow of both the gards and the protestors side of things. The gards seemed to be using a fair bit of force on the people who were only sitting on the street though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Simona1986 wrote:
    Amazing footage, somehow of both the gards and the protestors side of things. The gards seemed to be using a fair bit of force on the people who were only sitting on the street though.

True - very interesting shots from both sides of the fence.

And on the topic of police + force. There's only so many times you can order someone to move before it's neccessary to physically remove them. And if someone refuses to allow you to do so, it's impossible not use force to do so.

They showed amazing restraint imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

That's all well and good, it's the hitting them while they are up and standing or bumping agressively into them while they are moving that I was talking about. Some people were actually there to protest and not to cause a ruckass or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

were the missing riots cops sent along with the orange/ulster buses to protect molesworth street/dail, ie they were there and not missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Simona1986 wrote:

I saw the Gardai using only reasonable force in that video.

The main problem I could see from the Garda point of view was that there were not enough officers in riot kit. Apart from that all I saw was brave and dedicated Gardai doing their duty to us under adverse conditions.

When the had the scum pushed back to the Abbey St Junction they should have surrounded them there and prevented them scattering into the Southside but I expect that they did not have the manpower at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's a brilliant video, everyone should watch it to get a real glimpse of who was actually there. Half way through the video you see most of the crowd sing a chorus of Fields of Athenry, with "Sinn Fein"/"IRA" cheers thrown into the middle of it :rolleyes:

Now, you don't often see Gerry Adams, or any other serious or legitimate Republican voters/supporters, chanting this. Where do you see it? In the pub, or on a school bus.

And something tells me that RSF voters don't engage in these chants, either...!

This just hammers home the point that the rioters were not politically educated or inspired.

There was someone on George Hook this evening talking about how it was an RSF riot, it was well orchestrated, they had been planning it for months, they used headsets to co-ordinate their attacks, etc., and I'm absolutely flabbergasted by how out of touch with Ireland's youth that man and so many others are, to dismiss the idea that it was just out of control thugs doing this. Absolutely ridiculous.

He said that he trained as an anti-riot police officer too, and that if it were just a bunch of hooligans, the Gardaí would have been able to suppress the trouble straight away, and that it was clearly a co-ordinated plan, the way they took up garissons around the city.

The man is f*cking paranoid: (a) there were barely any riot Gardaí, as that video just showed me! One thin line of them -- that's it! (b) they required no organisation! There was ONE direction that they could/needed to go, and that was straight up O Connell Street where they're facing the riot police and Loyalists. And when they moved across the bridge, it was the Gardaí's fault that they split up into different pockets around the city, because they didn't control them at all, cos there weren't enough riot police. If ever again, 100's of riot police is the only answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

Maybe the Govt/Garda/Army will invest in some new crowd-control tech after the next riot (and there will be a next one: cause scum just multiply and multiply..)

pour example:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/07/21/less-lethal-riot-control-ray-gun-to-be-deployed-in-iraq-next/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frey_effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weaponry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Cosine wrote:
    What kind of area would tear gas cover?
    IN 2 minutes... half a football field... give or take with updrafts from the buildings:)

Maybe the Govt/Garda/Army will invest in some new crowd-control tech after the next riot (and there will be a next one: cause scum just multiply and multiply..)

pour example:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/07/21/less-lethal-riot-control-ray-gun-to-be-deployed-in-iraq-next/

I'll take 3 from the top please....
    Seriously... thats hardcore!

But this is the way the guards should have been tooled up....

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Why would you want to stand in the front line armed with sub standard equipment against a load of scumbags with petrol bombs and rocks ?
    I think someones been playing QUAKE on their PC a bit too much...but you won't be long losing that "gung ho" attitude once you've been in the job a few months !

Haha yeah was thinking the same myself,Pretty brain dead comment, as im sure that was the last place any of them officers wanted to be. Heard there was a few trainees around, Not your typical intro, to on the job training. Felt sick, when I seen what was happeing at the start of the trouble, more ashamed then anything else I'd seen. Gaurd's just standing there ground, with half a building site thrown at there general direction. Takes alot of professionalism to do that IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Well done, this is shocking stuff. I really really hope that its been handed into the Gardaí and RTE, TV3, and Sky News.

Lets put as many of these little scummers on the TV as possible so someone can identify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i see a few faces shown here http://images.sparky-s.com/sp_index.php?file=./Dublin%20Riots/DSCN0732.JPG was also shown on the Hearld at that almera.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

All this talk of lining the rioters up and shooting them etc :rolleyes: Its the typical knee jerk reaction when we see or hear of the underclass acting like this.

These kids need to be shown the error of their ways in a kinder manner. We need to be kind and show them the warmth in our hearts. I suggest we charter a 747 from aerLingus and take them on a flight over the north of Ireland and show them how we are all children of mother earth

...........then open the door at 30000 feet

See knee Jerk reactions just get us unimaginative solutions. Take some more time and one can come up with more creative ways to accomplish the same thing.

:D LowLife Scum the lot of them .....and you can fold that 4 ways and shove it up your Liberal PC arses.

Chris Rock said it best that no one is 100% Liberal/Left or 100% conservative/rightwing, 100% democrat 100% Republican etc.

I am liberal on many subjects and to the right on many others. In this case I am positively Nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

R0ot wrote:
    Im glad i live in donegal :eek:

I remember a riot in Letterkenny years ago - either paddys day or during the festival. Looking up the main street at bottles an the like flying through the air. A quick baton charge by the guards sorted it out.

Of course after the May day Garda fiasco, it's all softly softly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Heh, I bet any money that at least one scummer said "I was only messin guard".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Excelent footage, anymore vids like this throughout the thread? I skipped to the last page :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

SebtheBum wrote:
    Concur.
    I spoken to those who know or are related to some of those soldiers (altho admittedly no soldiers themselves as yet, worse luck) and all who spoke to them said that they got the impression that the troops were disappointed and annoyed that they were never called upon

Sounds about right. Us military types tend to be the sort who err on the side of order and look down on those of the more rebellious ilk. Must be something to do with recruit training. We were all fired up to go knock some respect for public order into the heads of some chaps back during the anti-war riots in 2003, when SFPD had run out of coppers, and CHP were starting to run out as well. Rather disappointed we didn't get a bash, really. Ditto when the Tookie Williams riots failed to show up, but that didn't surprise us. (Then again, we'd also be issued with rifles, live ammo and bayonets, so things tend to get quiet quickly. It's even written in instructions that warning shots are not to be fired, if a round is fired, it had better be aimed at someone: They don't muck around in the US when the Army gets called in)

Here's a thought.. Ask the loyalists to reschedule their parade/march/whatever. Bait the rioters into congregating again. Except this time, have a lot of uniforms hiding around the corner with really big sticks. Once the first rock/snooker ball/whatever is thrown, game on.

NTM

I remember a riot in Letterkenny years ago - either paddys day or during the festival. Looking up the main street at bottles an the like flying through the air. A quick baton charge by the guards sorted it out.

Of course after the May day Garda fiasco, it's all softly softly now.

Would that have been when a group of sligo it people went up in six buses to letterkenny and were sent back to sligo after 3hours for their own protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

pour example:

Personally I'd prefer to see this being used on those little scumbags from Saturday :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Personally I'd prefer to see this being used on those little scumbags from Saturday :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note

I would agree :D

The brown note, according to an urban legend, is an infrasonic frequency that causes humans to lose control of their bowels due to resonance. Effective frequencies are reportedly between 5 and 9 Hz, below the audible range for humans (humans cannot hear below around 20 Hz).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Substantial number of arrests expected. The photos from the TCD thread were on the RTE news. They interviewed the guy in the shop on Westland Row who was attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

is_that_so wrote:
    The photos from the TCD thread were on the RTE news.

Are those pics now hosted elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

is_that_so wrote:
    Substantial number of arrests expected. The photos from the TCD thread were on the RTE news. They interviewed the guy in the shop on Westland Row who was attacked.

Aye saw that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

havnt had a chance to post yet but anyway here goes.

i work in GAME on Dawson st and was in work on saturday. weirdly just before it all kicked off i went on my lunch went around to burger king where i heard o connell st had gone off majorly so i went to have a look and couldnt see shít cause there was just a whole load of scum coming up to trinity so i decided to walk back. they were runnin around pushing anyone out of their way smashing windows in shops(as you know), one lad decided it was the right time to remove his pants and boxers and run at people. i got around the corner of trinity at the bottom of grafton st and have never seen anyhting like the fire and smoke the lay ahead on naseau st. i stood in awe at the scum that call themselves Irish. i had to go back to my shop as i was sscared for my own safety tbh as they were just throwing any **** they could get their hands on at anyone and hitting random people.I wanted to stay out to see what happened but really thought id get a beating or somethin. we watched from behind closed shutters as the riot police arrived but all too late. they lined up pushing people down naseau st and holding people off on dawson st. rows of horse back cops and ,i couldnt see them but I heard them, guards with dogs. At least a hundred riot police ran passed our shop looking like they were going to trouble and that was the last i saw of it. it moved off elsewhere.

I expected bad things but nothing couldve prepared me for what i saw then.
    seemed like being out in Iraq or somethin not dublin city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

evad_lhorg wrote:
    one lad decided it was the right time to remove his pants and boxers and run at people

That's classic, I'd love to see what he'd say in court if he got caught.

Judge : What have you to say for yourself?

Gentleman : I was looking for evaluation from members of the general public of my recently accquired hash leaf genital tattoo

Advertisement