Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unseen footage of the riots.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Hobbes wrote:
    Actually you (Gardai) or prehaps the army do have a water Cannon. It was deployed when Bush came to town, not that it was used or anything.
    #1 It was used. I was there. June 2004. A march where the Gardai had far greater numbers of Riot police than were there yesterday. Why?

#2 We don't have a riot cannon. As has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread, it was borrowed from the PSNI. An Garda Siochana did not deem it necessary to request it again. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Call me a cynic but...

- why were the weapons (bricks, poles, etc) left in O'Connell Street?
    - why were there so few riot cops?
    - why were the "protestors" allowed take control of much of the city centre for up to three hours?
    - why were they not contained in O'Connell Street?
    - why were the army not sent in?
    - why was the march allowed happen at all?

With Sinn Fein's popularity growing in the Republic this will cost them votes. People who might have been fooled by the Sinn Fein PR machine will think twice when they see the photos in the papers tomorrow.

Bertie & co must be very happy about that.

All good questions.
    Weapons on O'Connell Street ? SIAC Construction have been toying with the idea of finishing construction work on our capitals main street now for something like 3 years. Is it the overtime rates ? The free advertising ? But the street has been like a building site for a ridiculous amount of time.

Lack of Police / Riot police / The March at all ?
    I think all of these issues were clearly not addressed at a meeting by Dublin City Corporation who MUST be contacted for permission for a march and who are supposed to assess risks associated with an event with advice from GARDA, Health and Safety experts. Mounted police are the closest we have to a mobile unit of the guards to deal with riots - ironically we hire mobile water canon vehicles from the north ...

The opportunistic idiot brigade that decided to spend their afternoon together looting shops in the city centre together are the same guys doing the same sort of thing each weekend evening near the rocks where they wallow ... daylight, t.v cameras and Dublin City Corporation gave them the platform to get their 15 seconds of infamy on Sky News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Link wont work

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

SebtheBum wrote:
    #1 It was used. I was there. June 2004. A march where the Gardai had far greater numbers of Riot police than were there yesterday. Why?

#2 We don't have a riot cannon. As has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread, it was borrowed from the PSNI. An Garda Siochana did not deem it necessary to request it again. Why?

Cheers for that. Nice to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Hobbes wrote:
    Actually you (Gardai) or prehaps the army do have a water Cannon. It was deployed when Bush came to town, not that it was used or anything.

I think that was borrowed from the PSNI.

Tear gas and batons should've been used on Saturday along with the water canon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Problem with that is that tear gas would have taken down all the journalists, photographers and rubber-neckers that were on the scene just as much as it would have taken out the riotors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Sleepy wrote:
    Problem with that is that tear gas would have taken down all the journalists, photographers and rubber-neckers that were on the scene just as much as it would have taken out the riotors.

True, but I suppose my judgement is a bit clouded by anger at what those scumbags were up to.

We just try and identify the skanger gene and dump them all in the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

What kind of area would tear gas cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Please. The Irish Sea is polluted enough thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Funky Munky

dlofnep wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/v/pgIlZgt4XV8

Some girl caught this on her camera phone. She's sending it into RTE. You've seen it here first. We really could of done without that. The government surely should of expected something like this however. I still stand firm this march should of been held up North. No good could come out of it being here.

Is that first link now void?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Is that first link now void?
    it appears so now.

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~z/today/

on westmoreand row, seems the dregs of the apolitical neandethrals

That link doesnt seem to be working either?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Sleepy wrote:

Acceptable casualties imo.

If I were caught up in the middle of that with no apparant (easy) way to get out I'd have no problem at all with being hit by tear gas if it meant the mob would be quashed.
    Sure I'd be annoyed, but it leaves no lasting effects and it's not harmful to me. The gardai that were there did what they could imo - but lack of resources, and an unwillingness to act (lynching by the media + govt. for actually doing their jobs) made it impossible to actually do anything efficiently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Feck your water cannons. A garden hose would have done the job. Do you really think scumbags would value republicanism over getting their shiny white trainers that they had just robbed from schu and footlocker getting dirty or wet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

zoro wrote:
    Acceptable casualties imo.

If I were caught up in the middle of that with no apparant (easy) way to get out I'd have no problem at all with being hit by tear gas if it meant the mob would be quashed.
    Sure I'd be annoyed, but it leaves no lasting effects and it's not harmful to me.

Very senstive, yes it's not got any real long term effects on you. But my guess is you're a lad in his 20s? Think of the effect teargas would have on the very young, the old, the pregnant and infirm. All of which are in and around town on a saturday afternoon. To mention the wind factor. Which way was the wind blowing that day, a freak gust of wind and every uk newspaper is leading with pictures of welsh lads heaving outside pubs in templebar after accidently getting teargassed.

Freelancer wrote:
    Very senstive, yes it's not got any real long term effects on you. But my guess is you're a lad in his 20s? Think of the effect teargas would have on the very young, the old, the pregnant and infirm. All of which are in and around town on a saturday afternoon. To mention the wind factor. Which way was the wind blowing that day, a freak gust of wind and every uk newspaper is leading with pictures of welsh lads heaving outside pubs in templebar after accidently getting teargassed.

Good points - and yes you guessed correctly, I'm 22 (and male) :) lucky guess :p
    I'm putting your points back to you, but in contrast this time...
    Lets imagine a friend of yours who is heavily pregnant, and caught on the center of oconnell street between 2 mobs. One, a mob of "regulars", who are merely running to avoid the carnage, and the other, the mob of scum, who'll do anything to anyone for any reason.
    I'd imagine that getting tear gassed would be preferable to being stampeded.
    The teargas would make any crowd dissipate quickly - but without the stampede effect (as, obviously, they'd be crippled momentarily)

Very good point on the wind factor though - I hadn't thought of that. Depending on how it was on Saturday the tear gas may well have blown away from the scum and back towards the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

They need these, really...

FLASHBALL.jpg

€290 ex-VAT, non-lethal, to be used with rubber or CS ammo only. Available for unrestricted sale in FR, no firearms license required (-there).

Give the knackers something to think about when looking at the wrong end of twin 12-bores...something like the Dublin Tunnel, in double :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Freelancer wrote:

WHO SHOULD AVOID RISK OF TEAR GAS & PEPPER SPRAY:

* Those with asthma, respiratory problems or infections, pregnant women, women attempting to get pregnant, anyone ill or with a poor immune system, seizure disorders, eye infections, contact lens wearers, & children.

from http://www.greatdreams.com/protest.htm
    title : MEDICAL TEAMS' Advice for Protesters

Its been said this man is chinese but where is the evidence?

http://www.eoghanmccabe.com/temp/DSCN0732.JPG

dbnavan wrote:
    WHO SHOULD AVOID RISK OF TEAR GAS & PEPPER SPRAY:

* Those with asthma, respiratory problems or infections, pregnant women, women attempting to get pregnant, anyone ill or with a poor immune system, seizure disorders, eye infections, contact lens wearers, & children.

from http://www.greatdreams.com/protest.htm
    title : MEDICAL TEAMS' Advice for Protesters

I stand corrected :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I'm not optimistic for the future of the force with people like you coming through :
    Pics like these CAN and WILL be used to bring charges against these scumbags if the photos can be brought to the atention of the garda.

Irish courts are still very wary of accepting digital images unless they come from CCTv equipment with some sort of anti-tampering software on it (can't remember the official description) as in this era of photoshopping it would be very easy for someone to frame another person.

the "lack of garda" comment isnt exactly fair, every garda in dublin was there barr one or two for every station to keep them open.

While about 50% of Dublin gardai from the Dublin Metropolitan District were on duty (leave was not cancelled for those who already had it arranged but some extra shifts were brought in), they were too spaced out around the route of the march so that when this trouble started it took at least 20 minutes to get them all down to O'Connell St.
    Also a decision was made to not have riot-gear equipped gardai on the streets for appearances sake, so these gardai were kept in vans in various staging areas which again needed to be transported to O'Connell St.

The reason the garda didnt seem eegar to get physicle is because the government wont stand by the force in the aftermath as seen after maydand at the end of the day its risking their livleyhood.

Agreed (apart from spellings). Too often what has been judged at the time to be reasonable force has seen gardai reprimanded for doing their job, so this has led to a reluctance within the ranks to "get stuck in" when required.

I can asure you all that the scum that got arrested got a good "telling off" back at the stations after being arrested,

Every station in Dublin city centre (with the exception of kevin st I think) is equipped with CCTV in the charging area and all cells so the days of this kind of action are long gone. Moronic comments like this simply provoke garda brutality claims !
    the reason garda dont all has bullet proof vests is because it will make the country look bad in that the garda have something to fear from the public which everyone knows they do.

What use would bullet proof vest be ? The armed response units do have bullet proof vests, but there is very little need for the rank and file gardai to have these as they rarely come up against firearms !
    I would have begged to stand in that frontline with those garda but to my regret i couldnt.

Why would you want to stand in the front line armed with sub standard equipment against a load of scumbags with petrol bombs and rocks ?
    I think someones been playing QUAKE on their PC a bit too much...but you won't be long losing that "gung ho" attitude once you've been in the job a few months !

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Anyone?

Because the person who originally posted the pictures said they watched the whole thing.

Anyone?
    404 error. quite possibly why you've had no comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 The War Dept.

there's a lot to be said for compulsory sterilization

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I dunno, the Kaiser Chiefs predicted it.

joejoem wrote:

Ba - dum - Tssssh!

Im here all week; try the veal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

joejoem wrote:

Wow what an original and insightful comment.

I say lads look at this two days afterwards he's come along and frightfully witty of him he's referenced that popular song by those young beat musicians the Kaiser Chiefs. To think no one else here or anywhere else even thought to do that! Gosh what a rare and insightful mind you have young man, head and shoulders above the rest of us.

Funky monkey the guy who posted the photo says the guy being whaled on, was staff in that centra, I know it well and it's and entirely staffed by Asians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

He's got a Centra uniform on, the lads working in that Centra are mostly (if not all) Chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Advertisement