Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unseen footage of the riots.

1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Funky Munky

ullu wrote:
    That's classic, I'd love to see what he'd say in court if he got caught.

Judge : What have you to say for yourself?

Gentleman : I was looking for evaluation from members of the general public of my recently accquired hash leaf genital tattoo

Or his "I Love Christy" tattoo ;)

Sparky-s wrote:
    i see a few faces shown here http://images.sparky-s.com/sp_index.php?file=./Dublin%20Riots/DSCN0732.JPG was also shown on the Hearld at that almera.

Have any of the pics been used for arrests or prosecution yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Have any of the pics been used for arrests or prosecution yet?

Well those exact pictures were featured on the 6 one news on rte one i think on tuesday and they interviewed the victims, so i would say the garda have that picture on their files and have made arrests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

wow, what a marathon thread!! Very interesting to read peoples comments and some excellent documentation of the day. (first time i've seen the real scale of it as I was away at the time.)

How come nearly half the links on this thread have had the content removed? :confused:

Anyway, my 2 cents on the matter. Who's to blame for this? Dublin city coucil and the guards for sanctioning the march and Michael McDowel for not having the foresight to envisage what would inevatably happen and if not cancel the event, then at least have the guards prepared.

I don't think this march should ever have been allowed in the first place...now i'm no republican (as it seems to be a bad word these days) and im certainly no IRA or Sinn Fein supporter, but we all know that Orange marchers in the north are to "celebrate" past war victories by protestants over the catholic king in the battle of boyne. (and for all the pc brigrade who love to jump on the "get over 1916, 800 years, its all forgoten about, get over it" all this bollox, battle of boyne was over 300 years ago, and they celebrate it every year across the commonwealth)

Now orange orders insist every year to march through catholic areas during the marching season, the only reason i can muster up for this is so they can rub it in the face of catholics, in what is a petty and pathetic state of affairs in the north.

Notably over the years, marchers have faught with riot police in the north to get into catholic areas...a clear insightment of violence, with only one intention.

But to get to march through the national street of the capital and the republic and to pass the historic war sites of the gpo and dublin quays sporting their union jacks and war victory dates which are litterd across many of the orange brigades banners, was the biggest "fuck you" of all to catholics and the Irish!!

I just feel sorry for the genuine famalies of the victims of the troubles in the north who were genuinely there to march in memory of there loved ones, as they were used as a front to get to have this march.

I find it so typical of the irish public to criticise ourselves when we talk about or want to commemerate our past troubles or victories, probably incase we offend someone, or just because this country is full of cynical f*ckers....yet when the "old enemy" (with want for a better word) wants to march through our streets we're up in arms at the fact that it was prevented.

Look, what happend on that day was a disgrace, and most of the rioting wasn't even about people protesting against the march, it was scumbags looking for a row, some vandalisim, throw sh*t at guards and then loot. Simple as that. I am angerd about all that happening, but as far as the march is concernd, they can f*ck off back north and stay there for all I care, but i'm delighted they never got a chance to march and I hope they never will get a chance again, maybe when we get rid of this inept government, then we will have the cop on to give the blindingly obvious answer to a request of an orange march in dublin...

LEINSTER, MUNSTER AND CONNACHT SAY NO!

If i'm going to get all political about the whole thing, obviously it's the prodestants who sabvotage every attempt at co-existance and peace in the north by being stubborn and unco-opretave. And why wouldn't they? As long as there is no progress in the northern political landscape then things stay exactly the same...exactly as they want it.

And as always, sinn fein and the IRA are being blamed by the orange men for the riot, and by bertie for his own political agenda, and the goons (public) go along with it.

Classic orange politics: Anything that happens, try and turn it around on sinn fein, and if all else fails, bring up the IRA and there past actions, and accuse them of current actions (which in fairness they probably are more an organised crime syndicate now than a terrosist group)

Well done Bertie, McDowell, Dublin City Council ... You've just given Paisley another handfull of ammo to sabvotage the talks in the north for another 10 years.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

haha, here here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

DubGuy wrote:

I don't think this march should ever have been allowed in the first place...now i'm no republican (as it seems to be a bad word these days) and im certainly no IRA or Sinn Fein supporter, but we all know that Orange marchers in the north are to "celebrate" past war victories by protestants over the catholic king in the battle of boyne. (and for all the pc brigrade who love to jump on the "get over 1916, 800 years, its all forgoten about, get over it" all this bollox, battle of boyne was over 300 years ago, and they celebrate it every year across the commonwealth)

Now orange orders insist every year to march through catholic areas during the marching season, the only reason i can muster up for this is so they can rub it in the face of catholics, in what is a petty and pathetic state of affairs in the north.

But it wasn't an Orange Order parade. Your analysis of this shows only a very shallow understanding of the issues involved! Do you really believe that it is only about these guys just wanting to get a dig in about an 800 year old battle?

The Orange Order marches every year in Donegal with no problems and I fully support that; I saw a documentary on that talking to some of the southern irish orange order participants who retain their british links but still consider themselves Irish and follow GAA for example.

We can only aspire to be a decent country once we can allow marches like this one to take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

But it wasn't an Orange Order parade. Your analysis of this shows only a very shallow understanding of the issues involved! Do you really believe that it is only about these guys just wanting to get a dig in about an 800 year old battle?

The Orange Order marches every year in Donegal with no problems and I fully support that; I saw a documentary on that talking to some of the southern irish orange order participants who retain their british links but still consider themselves Irish and follow GAA for example.

We can only aspire to be a decent country once we can allow marches like this one to take place.
    if it wasn't an orange order parade, then what the fuck were the orange order doing there? and don't say they weren't. we've all seen the pictures of the marching bands, the orange order flags and heard the bands outside the dail.
    dubguy hit the nail on the head.
    some of the people in this country really piss me off. bunch of ****ing begrudgers. boo hoo hoo. some people want to celebrate their Irishness, but these pricks don't want them to in case it upsets the brits or the unionists. the rest of my sentiments are far too obscene to post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

julep wrote:
    some of the people in this country really piss me off. bunch of ****ing begrudgers. boo hoo hoo. some people want to celebrate their Irishness, but these pricks don't want them to in case it upsets the brits or the unionists.

Could you give some examples please?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

just take a look at the 'proud to be Irish thread?'. i think it's on page 2 of AH.
    there are also a lot of people bitching and moaning about celebrating the 90th anniversary of the 1916 rising in some other threads. i'm too lazy and tired to go looking for links.

Sparky-s wrote:
    Well those exact pictures were featured on the 6 one news on rte one i think on tuesday and they interviewed the victims, so i would say the garda have that picture on their files and have made arrests.

I see alot of the tabloids have been running "do you know who this is?" type campaigns amongst their coverage. Im presuming they cropped some of them from the footage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement