Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Earphones at Great Prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

The wife and I are still loving our Vibes that we bought from wind130 :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I got my headphones this morning (only bought them on Thursday!). Absolutely fantastic. Light, small but fantastic sound. Better than the E2G's I had previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ok I had a pair of these Sony Fontopia things.... They were the job, comfortable, they stayed in my ears no bother, they gave good sound quality etc. Then the left ear broke, and i was screwed... Seemingly its a fairly common problem. So question is, any alternatives? Same kind of design and price range? But with better build quality...

Cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I've got a pair of sennheiser head phones. Got them for 65 euro in the local music store. Great quality. Have had them for a few years now. My only problem with them has been that the wire on them is too long so it makes walking around with it hard as you have a lump of cable in your pocket however I can make dinner and walk around the kitchen with them plugged into my laptop and never come close to running out of slack.

I usually use a pair of cheap ear phones for the train journey as their is so much noise you can't really block it out properly and at that hour of the morning, I don't care about quality because my ears are still booting up so I don't miss the quality that much. Just nice to have something to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

I've been thru this thread and tried a lot of the sites mentioned but cannot find a decent link to get a pair of PMX 60's.

Is there anywhere in Dublin selling these? I want them for sitting at my desk in work.. around the head is comfy and am using old sony MDR's at the moment.. I can get them on eBay for about 24 dollars.. does this sound right?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=sennheiser+pmx+&category0=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I got the PMX100s in the laptop shop in Stephens Green Center.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Anyone know where to get in-the-ear headphones with a very short lead, about 12 inches long?

I had a Sony Discman, with a remote control, that had heapdhones plugged into it with a lead just about a foot long. That lenght of lead was a dream to use with the Apple Shuffle and more recently, Sansa Clip.

Sadly, I walked on the headphones and I'd dearly love to get a similar set up again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get in-the-ear headphones with a very short lead, about 12 inches long?

I had a Sony Discman, with a remote control, that had heapdhones plugged into it with a lead just about a foot long. That lenght of lead was a dream to use with the Apple Shuffle and more recently, Sansa Clip.

Sadly, I walked on the headphones and I'd dearly love to get a similar set up again.

Are you looking for proper good phones? what's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Up to 40 euro. I'm not fussy on what kind of driver is in them, to be honest, as long as there's a nice rounded sound to them.

Even the Sony in-the-ear, the option seems to be 1.2m as standard. You'd think with the amount of 'clip on' players, there'd be a market for short lead headphones, of any kind.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a lot of Denon earphones have short cables with included extensions.

Edit : Denon C551s seem good, and their main cable is 0.5m, but you'd be hard pressed to get them for €40 without a mate in the US.

Pending further reviews, the Cyclone PR1 Pros look good value. Offering similar performance to the RE0s for $50.

By the way, I'm making a guide for a certain *ahem* other website for audio gear in the range of about €25 - €150 (apart from the players)

Here it is : http://hf.bcpk.org

I'll be keeping it updated with what is being well-received on head-fi.org

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I started off using the Sony EX71s 5-6 years ago, which seemed pretty good at the time but kept breaking. Then I got some CX300s which I used up until about 10mths ago when I finally got a set of Shure SE310s, which were amazing until I lost them. I have since replaced them with a set of SE420s which are absolutely stunning. Expensive but worth it (got a decent price for new ones of ebay).

I used them in conjunction with my Cowon iaudio7, which has fantastic sound quality and is one of my fav DAPs ever along with the legendary Iiriver H series. They sound even better than my Sennheiser HD25s which is saying something!

soundmagic pl-30 - about $23 delivered from focalprice.com - amazing earphones for the money - well reviewed on head-fi. The soundstage is fantastic - you'll hear things in music that you never knew was in there. Comes with loads of different sized earbuds and a great hard case too!

If anyone has some contacts in the USA, you can get the Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10s for $150 from Amazon.com + $50 rebate.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/ultimate-ears-triple-fi-10-earphones-99-amazon-458905/index45.html

RRP is over $300

SoundMAGIC PL-50s

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62_46&products_id=330

The currency conversion on MP4Nation.net is slightly out of date. It's undervaluing the US Dollar by about 7% so if you change the currency to euro they're €33.60 rather than €35.90, and if you apply the code 0b33b27e50 you will get a $5 reduction bringing it to €30.40. Definitely worth your money at that price. In fact, I just bought a pair.

Shipping is free, but will take a couple of weeks. Don't expect them before Christmas. Discount code is valid until 31st Dec.

Here are some reviews of the PL-50s
    http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/soundmagic-pl-50-review-432843/
    http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/my-review-soundmagic-pl50-431694/
    http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/soundmagic-pl-50-released-received-reviewed-430612/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hey,

Over in the TCD board you mentioned Bose In-Ears. Any particular reason why it's worth looking into them? :)

No, absolutely none. I was intimating that they're the sort of mistake that someone who had bought Skullcandys and CX300s would make next :P (no offence, I hope!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ah, none taken. The pair that came with my old iRiver lasted a fair while from what I recall.

Are you operating with some of the ones in earlier posts here?

I've ordered both the Triple.Fi 10s and PL-50s, but neither have arrived yet. The TF10 deal has expired by now, and you had to have a US shipping address to get them. The place I bought the PL-50s from take a few weeks to ship but I'm not worried as I have working earphones now anyway so I don't need them.

So, you're in the market for some earphones are you? :)

• Advertisement

So American sites are the way to go?

Probably, but I might hang on until the Christmas madness is over and so the credit card can breathe a little..

Prices are generally about half price, but it's whether or not they'll ship to Ireland that's the problem. I had to get my TF10s routed through a friend in Hawai'i.

Obama? :pac:

Sure he lives in Kenya.

Ordered a set of PL-50s. Thanks for your input. :)

Ah, nice one. Be sure to post your thoughts on them whenever they arrive :)

Will do.

Have ordered from focalprice.com and paid via paypal. When I log in to my account on their site it says I've paid, but they sent me an order confirmation email (twice) which says Payment Status: Unpaid. I've sent them an email to ask them to clarify things...hopefully it will go through OK as paypal didn't throw up any hiccups.

I can recommend the soundmagic pl21 from focalprice.com also. about €14 delivered. Has a nice warm sound to it and decent bass. Sound separation and soundstage not as good as pl30 or pl50 but if you prefer a bassier sound this is a good option.

Turns out the emails they sent me related to two other orders for the same headphones which I didn't confirm, so it's as if I wanted 3 sets which is not the case. Hopefully the one that's been confirmed will go through and its status will update at some point.

• Advertisement

Seemingly the PL-50s are out of stock, but they should have them soon, within 5 days..

Advertisement