Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Earphones at Great Prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Yes, it goes like so-

ad700_ipod.jpg

(although full-sized headphones aren't typically used with iPods)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Hi folks,

Anyone have any first hand experience of the Soundmagic PL50's? Getting good reviews on the various forums. Have a Cowon S9, and am looking for a set at the around the price point they sell for.

Yep, I had them and thought they were great for the price I paid (€30). I think there are a couple of decent alternatives, depending on what you're interested in. They're very smooth and relaxing, so if you want something to make you jump around you might want to look elsewhere. Clarity and comfort is tops, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Cheers for the update. Have bought various pairs of Sony headphones over the past few years, most with a noise cancelling unit built in.
    I find the build quality to be pretty appalling considering the > €80 price point, the casing around the cabling starts to fray.
    I have a beautiful set of Pioneer HDJ-2000's for home use, but looking for something for the Cowon on the road. Music ripped at 320, mostly rock and indie, looking for something relatively disposable, but without the horrible brassy tone you get with cheaper headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,224 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The Yuin PK3s have stopped working already.

Right ear is kind of fecked, need to hold the cord just so to get it to play.

No I have had this with earphones throughout the ages just not 3 months after spending 35e on a pair. Disappointing.

• Advertisement

Contact Head-Direct, they're pretty good with CS.

It is probably user damage, technically anyway.

Send them an email at least.

Yeah just did. Its just if I have to pay for shipping then it becomes almost self-defeating.

It has happened to every set of earbuds I have ever owned but not this quikckly. When your MP3 player is in your pocket there is extra pressure on the jack.

Didn't they come with a pouch? Leaving your earphones wrapped around the player is asking for trouble.

• Advertisement

They come in a little plastic box.

I don't wrap them when I am not using them, just disconnect them and let them lay (usually flatout tbh).

Any wear and tear that caused this was simply down to the pressure on the wires in and around the jack during normal use.

Just ordered a pair of these -
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Fischer-Audio-Eterna-rev-1-in-ear-headphones-earbuds-/110541765226?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bccd7a6a#ht_3425wt_930

Reviews here taken from head-fi

http://kaskustoday.com/mantap-fischer-audio-eterna-high-end-earphones-2nd/

seems to get rave reviews pretty much everywhere.

will give a report when I hopefully get them.

Found therm difficult to get a fit with, hopefully your ears aren't as finicky as mine ;)

Baza210 wrote: »
    Found therm difficult to get a fit with, hopefully your ears aren't as finicky as mine ;)

I'll try some other silicone tips from older earphones that I have if they don't work well for me with the supplied tips.

Did you not get them to work satisfactorily for you at all?

Send them an email at least.

Yeah, they said their warranty is only 90 days but they would extend it this once.

They want them sent back to China via UPS at my expense (they'll pay for the return trip).

I think that would be prohibitaively expensive so I think I will just send them back my normal post (will take an age) and hope they get them / don't pretend they didn't get them.

You will have to help me out with a new pair of something non-Inear. I am using the Sonys that came with that MP3 you found me in Grafton St HMV but I honestly think it sounds crap - maybe I haven't the heart to ram them into my earbuds enough.

The Yuin's were outstanding (but the cable was a bit short and, of course, they broke after 4 months).

glasso wrote: »
    Did you not get them to work satisfactorily for you at all?
    I didn't have them for very long, and my ears are kind of asymmetric so it's hard to get a fit quickly with new earphones for me... I got them to fit in one ear at least :P

@noodler : http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=4262
    adjustable cable length, 2 year warranty.

Interesting.
    Googled them with the Yuin PK3s and found one reviewer who actually prefers the Sennys.

Might give them a go - thanks.

glasso wrote: »
    Just ordered a pair of these -
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Fischer-Audio-Eterna-rev-1-in-ear-headphones-earbuds-/110541765226?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bccd7a6a#ht_3425wt_930

Reviews here taken from head-fi

http://kaskustoday.com/mantap-fischer-audio-eterna-high-end-earphones-2nd/

seems to get rave reviews pretty much everywhere.

will give a report when I hopefully get them.

took a while to get them delivered from Russia (weirdly a Russian brand). Just testing them out at the moment (apparently no burn in on these guys). Really lovely warm sound is the overall initial impression. Technical isolation of distinct elements good but it's all about the warm sound. I seem to be able to get a decent fit without any issues.

an update on the Fischer Audio Eterna after having them a while - the sound experience is very warm in the mid-range as I said - gives a live gig feeling to any music. wasn't sure if I liked that sound to start with but now I definitely do. only thing is that low bitrate mp3s sound rubbish. works best with variable bitrate (vbr) or 320bps mp3s where you get the full benefit of what these iem's can offer. best at slightly higher volumes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm on a fairly severe budget atm and I need a pair of earphones that are good and more importantly don't break. Last year I've used 2 sets of JVCs which were 20 each, but I've had this second pair barely 5 months and both sides have gone. Is there anything half way decent I can get for under €20 or if you know one that will last me a year or two without breaking I'll pay more. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm on a fairly severe budget atm and I need a pair of earphones that are good and more importantly don't break. Last year I've used 2 sets of JVCs which were 20 each, but I've had this second pair barely 5 months and both sides have gone. Is there anything half way decent I can get for under €20 or if you know one that will last me a year or two without breaking I'll pay more. :D

What are you doing with them?

BostonB wrote: »
    What are you doing with them?

Laptop and an mp3 player that comes everywhere with me. Schoolbags, handbags,jeans etc. I don't leave the house without it. :P They don't need to be incredible but not the general tat you get for a tenner. I've had a look at a few Sony ones but I can't find prices

I meant what are you doing to break them. You must be in the habit of wrapping the cables wrong or something. Because you'll break more expensive ones just the same if so. It will just take a little bit longer.

Do you use a wind up case, or something to wrap them around.

Those Meelecs have a fairly durable hard-coated wire that I would consider pretty durable, but BostonB is right that you should just take better care of your phones.

I just wrap them round the mp3 player. Is there a better way of doing it?

Yes, coil them and put them in a pouch. Wrapping around your player is a sure-fire route to cable issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Is the meelec site the best bet for buying m9s? Haven't found any Irish sites stocking them.

• Advertisement

That where I bought them.

Advertisement