Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many 180's have you had?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

well I'd agree, and I'd happily not hit a 180 if I was promised back to back 140s etc etc. However with practice comes grouping, with grouping comes 180s

If the tons are going high low all over the 20 shop. They aren't good darts, they are lucky darts. I've played so many players who are liable to hit a double tops going for the treble 20 as they can throw straight enough and just hope that one of them gets pitched right.

When you start grouping well you know you'll hit 180s, I don't focus on trying to hit 180s but grouping my darts around the treble as close as possible. I get annoyed when I hit a 140 and one of the 20's is very high in the bed, it shouldn't be. So I keep practicing and try pitch the darts the same each time. I'm pretty sure that professionals are extremely skilled in repetition and have bottle to boot.

Spot on with the grouping. If you can keep them together in the right place you've got a chance. I've gotten a lot better in the last few months and the darts in 1 of 5 are always just to the right of left of the wire and I'm rarely in 12 or 18 which used to be a common occurence.

I get less annoyed with a triple 1 or 5 just the wrong side of the wire than one up around double tops. One dart is a fraction from the target while the other could be 2 inches away.

In general if I'm throwing well most of my darts are within about 1/2 inch above or below the T20 bed which gives them a chance.

I'm not bad at pitching the darts at the right height but have more difficulty keeping them straight so I hit a lot of T5's and T1's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Well from the sounds of it you have a marrage of 180s just waiting to happen.

once you get two or three in a day you'll find something just clicks and you don't snatch or pull darts once the first two go in.

Well from the sounds of it you have a marrage of 180s just waiting to happen.

once you get two or three in a day you'll find something just clicks and you don't snatch or pull darts once the first two go in.

I look forward to that day. I'm confident that it will because in 7 or 8 months since I went back to playing I've gotten steadily better. I score better and finish better with the exception of the odd day when it looks like I'm throwing up instead of throwing darts. A few months ago I wouldn't have dreamed of trying to finish from over 100 but now I go for it. I'm obviously pleased to get a maximum but don't jump around like a kid anymore and wish there was someone to witness it!
    I've tweaked my stance a bit as well and settled on a set of darts and it all helps.

Stand, Dart, Throwing style, Grip

All massively important and having the same over and over aids repetition and will improve your game for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

have thrown 3 but no question the best one was one year ago against the auld lad we were at the local having a game he would be decent throws 180s fairly often but any way said we would play a set winner gets 20 quid so it was 2-2 and i was on 301 he was on 200 hit the first 2 in without thinking normally when im playing him i would panic and miss anyway i stopped for a minute took a drink he was trying to put me off but i stood up and boom in she went i proceeded to win the greatest dart match that pub will ever see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Had my first ever on 18 november

2nd one TODAY!!!! wooo-hoooooo - throwing fairly consistently now - does take me a while to get going (first few darts could be in 18 and 12 as easy as in the 20) but am happy with how i'm progressing - finishing 501 in 30-36 darts fairly regularly - was 45-50 when i started back at it...

alproctor wrote: »
    Had my first ever on 18 november

2nd one TODAY!!!! wooo-hoooooo - throwing fairly consistently now - does take me a while to get going (first few darts could be in 18 and 12 as easy as in the 20) but am happy with how i'm progressing - finishing 501 in 30-36 darts fairly regularly - was 45-50 when i started back at it...

Keep going and you'll see the average come down steadily and the 180 tally go up. When I started about 7 or 8 months ago I was finishing 501 in 40 + then after 3/4 months 30+ Now my average is about 25 darts and I've finished a few in 17/18 darts as well.

There are plenty of milestones in darts which is somthing I like - from your first 180, first 100+ finish, a sub 25 or 20 or 15 dart leg. There is always somthing to aim for (no pun intended)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dartsmad2012

Ya cant beat the feeling of your first 180 :) I left the darts in for a day I think :P Hit bout 5-8 a day now doesnt feel as nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

no way, you beat Taylor?

i heard he NEVER LETS ANYBODY WIN compared to other lads doing exhibitions

He did with me.

It was a 701 game, he was on double top, i was on 352, he took off the 3 leaving me with 52 and i took it out in two darts: 20 double 16.

That honestly did happen, I was in the local newspaper as well.
    It was last year when he visited the forum theatre in Waterford.

Greatest moment of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    He did with me.

It was a 701 game, he was on double top, i was on 352, he took off the 3 leaving me with 52 and i took it out in two darts: 20 double 16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICPeDeRl4Xk

This young lad beat Phil Taylor. He kinda handed you your 'win'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    no way, you beat Taylor?

i heard he NEVER LETS ANYBODY WIN compared to other lads doing exhibitions

He did with me.

Was he graceful in defeat?

Ah I love Taylor personally, I know they say you should never meet your heros, but I'm sure he's a sound chap

Back in topic. I put my dartboard up in my new house last week. It had been packed away in my parents for the past 3 years. Anyway, I got my new darts today and had a good few hours practising. I didn't get a 180, but came close twice only to bottle it with the 3rd dart.

I'll have one by the end of the month, I guarantee it!

In my quest for 365 180s in 2012 I have currently hit 26.

So were just over a month in. I am behind but I consider it good as I haven't thrown every day so I'm happy.

Long may it continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭An Gaiscíoch

Was he graceful in defeat?

Ah I love Taylor personally, I know they say you should never meet your heros, but I'm sure he's a sound chap

Back in topic. I put my dartboard up in my new house last week. It had been packed away in my parents for the past 3 years. Anyway, I got my new darts today and had a good few hours practising. I didn't get a 180, but came close twice only to bottle it with the 3rd dart.

I'll have one by the end of the month, I guarantee it!

I threw for a couple of months about 8 years ago very casually after work in the pub after work and managed two (in the garage at home!) I stopped playing for years and took it up again last August. Put a board up in my room. Had hit quite a few 140's but that last dart was always dropping really or hitting the treble wire. Forward to last week when I was at a work thing in Earls Court and I met the great man. Genuinely nice fella. Turns out I could have played him in 301 if I was there earlier but I was too late. Was gutted!

Get back home to Ireland a couple of days later and bang, 180 with my third set of 3 darts. And like the buses, 4 days later (tonight) I hit another! Lifetime count up to 4!

Phil must have given me the midas touch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

got my first 180 about half an hour ago and wanted to share the joy - from regulation distance with fairly cheap old darts too; the girlfriend got a shock when I went up to the board and realised what I had done and let out a roar

The secret for me was not realising the first two had gone in, I am a quick thrower and I just fired out three quick darts, I couldn't quite see if the first two were in although I was fairly sure one of them was. If I was certain that two were in it would have ruined my rhythm and I would have been a bag of nerves on the third but for somehow I managed to maintain the rhythm and composure and as the third dart left my hand I knew it felt good and would be close. I actually surprised myself that my release on the third dart was as nerveless as the other two had been. The sound of the flights all kind of nestling together had already given me great satisfaction that I'd thrown a good set of darts (usually I have at least one that is slightly wayward), but when I saw all three had landed in the treble bed I had just this amazing feeling of satisfaction, and couldn't believe that I had really done that, still beaming like a proud father of three kids now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Congrats donfer...wow this thread is old!
    I have been throwing most Thursday nights with mates for the past 4 years after about a 15 year hiatus...put up a board at home when we moved to a house 3 yrs ago and my 180 record in that time is 12 in the Thursday night tourneys (all coming in the last 2 yrs I think) and then I couldn't tell you how many in practice, 100+ I'd say would be fair...it really is amazing the difference in calmness even when throwing with your mates...and I think I'm good at controlling my nerves!!!

...off point but just need to share, last few weeks I am playing the best darts I've ever played...putting it down to the focus I'm feeling at the oche...so on Thursday I take out 401 in 13 darts two legs in a row (new 401 record for our group - sad I know but we keep records), then the following tourney I miss a dart at D18 for a 156 (that would have equalled our 2nd ever highest finish in the group)...when I say missed I choked so bad I hit the rubber ring...shocking jerk of the arm:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I've gotten 4 or 5. Nothing beats the feeling. Literally perfection. You have achieved the very best you can possibly do in a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Im into double figures maybe 20ish. Got 2 180s in the same day earlier in the year! Pub league starting up again soon so may knock out a few more!

D.Q wrote: »
    I've gotten 4 or 5. Nothing beats the feeling. Literally perfection. You have achieved the very best you can possibly do in a sport.

Now if you can get another one and then a T20 T17 and a D12 you'll have acheived perfection :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

gramar wrote: »
    Now if you can get another one and then a T20 T17 and a D12 you'll have acheived perfection :pac:

Yep, nothing better than being on double three after 9 darts ;)

Lazarus2.0 wrote: »
    Yep, nothing better than being on double three after 9 darts ;)

Isn't it everyone's dream:pac: make that T19.

Easy see I've never gotten that far along a 9 dart finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nanastick

I usually throw one or two a week.

Nanastick wrote: »
    I usually throw one or two a week.

I haven't hit a 180 for weeks but I did hit a 171 the other day that gave me great satisfaction!

I have noticed sometimes i might not hit one for a couple of weeks and then I could hit 5-6 in the space of a few days.

Nice 171 Gramar. The 180 will come.

I have noticed sometimes i might not hit one for a couple of weeks and then I could hit 5-6 in the space of a few days.

Nice 171 Gramar. The 180 will come.

Ah no I've hot plenty just not in the last few weeks!

I play in a 301 league here on electronic boards so I've been practising a lot on the bull for scoring. Here the 25 and DB are both fifty and it's bigger than the normal one. Imagine missing the 25 on a normal board by 1/2 a cm and it still counts for 50! I've hit a few 6 darters at home counting the 25 and DB as 50. 5 bulls and T17. We have a game tonight and hopefully I'll be able to do it!

I wouldn't have thought there be many electronic leagues in Ireland? Ive never even seen a electronic board...

Best of luck tonight.

I wouldn't have thought there be many electronic leagues in Ireland? Ive never even seen a electronic board...

Best of luck tonight.

Here in Spain it's all you find. Only proper boards are hanging in my garage!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

I have thrown 4, 2 of which were when i was practicing, 1 against a friend and one in a competition. Dont play darts no more as i ended up with dartitice about 3 years ago and couldn't shake it, worst feeling ever not being able to release the dart. Pushed on for a year and just gave up as it was so disheartening. Would love to pick it up again but no time atm or place to put up my now mouldy dart board thats lying in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I remember throwing my first 180 of a very limited few. It was Christmas 2009, and I had been drinking with my wife's father and my wife. So, he went to bed, and my wife sat up on the stool and we continued to chat while I threw a few darts. Next thing, bang, bang, bang, 180. I couldn't believe it.

I turned to the wife, hands in the air, lost my speech. She just looked at me, confused. I had to point to the board. She had missed it all. Then she asked... what does that mean... is that good...

My heart... it dropped. If I had hit that 10 minutes beforehand there would have been roars, and more beer opened.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was down the local when I hit my first (and only) 180, there was a few around so I had to act like it was a normal occurrence. Problem was that on my next visit I hit 2 more 60s, in my head I was thinking "back to back 180s, legend" as the scored announced "Bust", we were playing 301, yes I know I'm a numpty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Wife got me a board for xmas hit my first 180 3 weeks ago, had hit a 177 few weeks before that
    Took out 80 in 2 darts last night with tops tops pity no one saw it!!

Advertisement