Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many 180's have you had?

Options
  • 12-12-2005 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

How many 180's have you had?
    Only the one for myself, great feeling.
    Middle of a game against a friend of mine (he's not too bad, scores 180's now and again).
    Always used to beat me, this time I was matching him, even out scoring him, dart for dart.
    Each time he scored 80, I'd score 100. He'd score 120, I'd score 120.
    The first time I felt "in the zone".
    Then bang, bang, bang - 180, without even thinking (probably why I'd scored it in the first place).
    If I had a euro for every dart I'd thrown to get the third treble 20 (and missed) I'd be a rich man...

How many times do you do it? 161 votes

Never thrown 180
    0% 0 votes
    Just the once
    45% 73 votes
    2-4
    22% 36 votes
    Can't remember, often occurance...
    32% 52 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have still never thrown a 180 which is the most annoying thing in the world. I always get a big rush of blood to the head when I get the first two in and proceed to mess up the last dart. If I could just not think about it and throw the dart straight away im sure I could get it in but as of yet I havent managed it.

I have had a 170 finish before against my mate in the last leg of a match that we had €50 bet on so that was fairly satisfying, but still no 180 :mad:

I think im going to go home now and keep playing until I get one :D

I've thrown 6. It took me a few years to get my first one, and then I got my second one in the following game. :) (Didn't win the tournament though. :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Kingp35 (the Peter Crouch of the dart world) :D:D - what type of darts do you use?
    Are they onions or fat shafted?
    Better chance of throwing a 180 with the skinny darts...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

BigCon wrote:
    Kingp35 (the Peter Crouch of the dart world) :D:D - what type of darts do you use?
    Are they onions or fat shafted?
    Better chance of throwing a 180 with the skinny darts...

They are a set of 24g unicorn darts and no the barrel on them isnt that thick at all or the shafts, but saying that I do tend to get the first two in and then the last will the hit flight of one of the others or something and just miss. It has happened to me countless times.

I resent being called Peter Crouch by the way :D

Fair play Aristotle by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

just th one for myself as well, what a brilliant feling though!!:D

• Advertisement

mchurl wrote:
    just th one for myself as well, what a brilliant feling though!!:D

Yeah and that was against me!! still beat you though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The first time I threw a 180 I was about 15 and I left the darts in the board for about 3 months! I had missed with my third dart on about a hundred occassions over the previous year or so, so when I finally got it, it was just elation! Joint world record holder of the highest score with 3 darts :D

I've lost count of the number I've now thrown in total - but its always in practice (I'd say I average one 180 for every 10 hours of play - not quite ready for the pros!!) - I've never thrown one in a match because I rarely play any darts matches :(

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I play for a darts team so get them regularly enough, although of late not in matches only in practice. there is no better feeling than throwing one in a match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Just the one myself, out the back practicing, thought I'd Hit treble 1 with my first dart hit then two treble 20's only noticed when I'd got to the board that I'd hit the big 180.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Kingp35 wrote:
    Yeah and that was against me!! still beat you though :D

the shock of hitting a 180 affected my concentration and throw:p

• Advertisement

I finally hit my first 180 today!! :D It was a long time coming but im sure it wont be the last!

Could someone edit the poll please :cool:

Congrats Kingp35! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

swalsh wrote:
    I play for a darts team so get them regularly enough,

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wouldnt be the greatest player but was playing the other night with a few college mates, told I played a little... threw one 180 and 3 140s, they think Im a pro now. Was my first 180, felt good must admit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The trick to hitting 180s is to not think about it.

Darts are all about focus and at the same time relaxing. You'll do your head in worrying about every single darts. Sometimes they go in and sometimes they don't. When you get to the point where you realise that, then you'll see more of them going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

hi there would playing and watching darts,i have hit countless 180,s but it can be a while between them,also have many 140,s.
    once or twice hit big outs,once checked out on 144, 2 treble 60,s x12.
    i,ve checked out a fe big scores.

i,ve been to kells in kilkenny to see chris mason play,also seen rocket ronnie baxter doing pub exihibition.
    i don,t play for a dart team or play in any comps,but i would love to.

My tally is now up to 4. Im slowly getting better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭DC

I've hit 8 or 9 with 3 different sets of darts, all 24 or 25g. Got one with a set of half pints, which was nice given how thick they are. I've also hit 171 (3 x t19) and my personal favourite, 171 (t20 + t19 + t18).

Kingp35 wrote:
    My tally is now up to 4. Im slowly getting better :D

8 months later and I have only hit a further 2 180's. Im wondering if im getting better at all. Darts can be very frustrating stuff!

I averaged 49.96 beating my mate in a best of 5 set match the other night. Dunno if that is even pub standard darts yet. Ill stick with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

I hit my fifth ever only yesterday and lost the leg!:eek: . I must admit that I have an awful tendency to hit 5 rather than 20. I rarely seem to hit 1. Im finding it hard to erradicate it from my game, its becoming very annoying. Any suggestions on what needs to be tweeked?? (stance, follow through, throwing style)

• Advertisement

RedPeppers wrote:
    I hit my fifth ever only yesterday and lost the leg!:eek: . I must admit that I have an awful tendency to hit 5 rather than 20. I rarely seem to hit 1. Im finding it hard to erradicate it from my game, its becoming very annoying. Any suggestions on what needs to be tweeked?? (stance, follow through, throwing style)

Im the same as you. I hit so many 5's its not right. I hit more treble 5's than I do treble 20's at the moment and its very frustrating. I think you just gotta mess around with your stance and find on that suits you best. I find if I arch my back slightly then I can throw the dart straighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I've had 6 or 7 180s by now I'd say.

Not playing so much these days, but picked em up the other day for the first time in months and had a 155 (3x20, then 19's route) checkout and and 112 checkout a couple of games later.

The more you try (as opposed to practice), the harder it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

Kingp35 wrote:
    Im the same as you. I hit so many 5's its not right. I hit more treble 5's than I do treble 20's at the moment and its very frustrating. I think you just gotta mess around with your stance and find on that suits you best. I find if I arch my back slightly then I can throw the dart straighter.
    Thats a similar stance to mine,i find it keeps the dart straight.As well as trying out different stances you can try different lenght stems and flights to see if that makes a difference.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Casual home player, alright standard but never a 180.... threw a couple of 160's before, hitting Tops when going for the third treble 20 which shows the level of panic...

Well this year, just messing about at home I threw a 180 for the first time.... then managed a second one about an hour later! Both were almost identical too - the first dart to the right, 2nd right on top leaving loads of room to the left and managed to relax enough not to spoon.

Just noticed from the pictures i took with the phone that it was Halloween night..... hmmmmmm

Not even close to one since either....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Not enough is my answer.

I haven't hit any in league games yet, or in tournaments.

I've hit about 8 or 9 in practice games either in the pub or at home

Finally hit a 180 with the new set of darts I bought a few months back. Just when I'd consigned to throwing them out when I get my new set from Santa....

Finally hit a 180 with the new set of darts I bought a few months back. Just when I'd consigned to throwing them out when I get my new set from Santa....

What kind of darts is Santa bringing you?

Well thats the thing - I havent got a clue what to go for.

My current ones are Winmau bought in Argos.

So my only two conditions were, Unicorn and Tungsten. I'm sure Santa will pick the right set!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I just picked up the Phil Taylor 95% Set in argos this week and they seem pretty nice to me at least.... nice and slim, 23 or 24g which is fine for me too..., 3 sets of flights and a couple of spare sets of shafts too and flight protectors...
    Nothing amazing to report but have got a couple of 3 dart 101's which is nifty for me ;)
    I splashed out and got a new Eclipse Pro board and also a red surround to protect (hide) the wall.... feels like Purfleet at home lol

Dart set was €26.99 argos link

• Advertisement

Where did you get your surround Licksy and how much was it?

I heard that they are pretty expensive.

Advertisement