Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Indie bands in ireland???

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Deacon Blue?

Might I point out neither Indie or Irish?

they've featured heavily in the Irish charts and are Celtic fans. Which according to other Irish Celtic fans is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

they've featured heavily in the Irish charts and are Celtic fans. Which according to other Irish Celtic fans is good enough.

.... mmmm, and the Indie bit?

Ya might as well have suggested Celine Dion really mightn't you? :)

Celine being a good strong Irish name ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This is a music forum not a soccer forum.

Plus - Deacon Blue are ropey at best. They wouldn't even make a top 5 of Scottish bands.

It's interesting to me, as a lad who works in the Business we call Show, that there's loads of bands mentioned here whose names I've not even heard before.

It's great that there are still so many.

However statistically most will never realise any potential they may have.

Who, of the bands mentioned have the 'legs' to go the distance, I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

the thing that gets me about the "Business we call Show" is that these days most bands have to prove themselves as a sellable product before showbiz heads come onboard. Im not saying thats a bad thing though as its good practice for bands in this day and age of DIY, but its a reason why so many good bands give up as not too many (on the industry side) are interested in taking the risks that maybe their predecessors from 20 or 30 years ago may have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

HouseHippo wrote: »
    probably not the best thing to say to someone doing an internship in hotpress, when you are making money writing for a music magazine and are a sound engineer come back and argue about music with me then until then well...

So until you write for a rag and have a job as a sound engineer you can't express an opinion on the qualtity of said rag? GTFO

I've seen articles in that publication that are less interesting than the back of a shampoo bottle. So take your ' eh i'm an sound engineer label' and quite your whinging.

Back on topic.

Good irish bands... I liked One day interantional after i saw em play support last year in vicar street, and will prob check out the album based on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Jeez pissy much
    I do have a job as a sound engineer
    And the word is quiet learn how to spell.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I was actually trying to spell quit but seen as you write for hotpress i can understand how you missed that...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

lordgoat wrote: »
    Good irish bands... I liked One day interantional after i saw em play support last year in vicar street, and will prob check out the album based on that.

The are playing on the 18th of this month in the Button Factory. Iwas very impressed when the supported Lykke Li a couple of weeks back.

Jeez pissy much
    I do have a job as a sound engineer

I think his point was that just because you write for Hotpress and work in something to do with music doesn't mean your opinion is more valid than anyone else's. So the 'come back and talk to me when you make money writing for Hotpress and work as a sound engineer' just makes you come across as a jumped up kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Would you not just leave it alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

At the moment?

1. Fight Like Apes
    2. Director
    3. Em
    4. Errrm
    5. Durrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

To be honest i prefer the last three in that list.

I finally listend to FLA album. it is crap. Plain and simple, although Director are pretty okay in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bigjigwig77

I saw Director once. I thought they were the support act... bleh..

I saw Director once. I thought they were the support act... bleh..

I saw director once .... I thought they were roadies ....;)

I saw director once .... I thought they were roadies ....;)

Nah that's unfair. Yer man's a good singer I think.

Nah that's unfair. Yer man's a good singer I think.
    My bf hates them,did sound for them when I was training,they were nice guys very easy to work with,really listened to what I had to say.
    Some Irish bands have the attitude that they are too big to listen to the sound engineer...Not naming names or anything,being Diplomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

Some Irish bands have the attitude that they are too big to listen to the sound engineer...

because no sound engineer has ever felt too self-righteous/important and not listened to what a band wants from him/her...??

honestly, there's loads of jerks everywhere in the music business - to confine it to one class of person (promoter/engineer/band member etc) is foolish.

eh, favourite Irish indie band eh?

how about not Director or Fight Like Apes..

honestly, there's loads of jerks everywhere in the music business - to confine it to one class of person (promoter/engineer/band member etc) is foolish.

True. I know a few Lampies I want to punch in the face. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

I saw a band called Touch Wood last summer that really blew me away. Just a bunch of kids that rwrite/perfom their own material.

Touchwood would be ten times the group they currently are if they stopped trying to sound like Coldplay (yeah... I know, why would anyone want to... anyway).

They arent bad, www.myspace.com/touchwoodband but theyre far from the one of the top 5 indie bands

... and to that one saying "come back to me when you work for HotPress". Will you get out! I've worked for publications held in far higher stature by the music community (for want of a better phrase) and I wouldn't dare say anything like that.

Just because you work for a (sort of) music rag mag for 2/3 months doesnt mean you know everything there is to know about music, or even have good taste in it. All it means is you've got a certain type of vanity and hold your own opinion in far to high regard.

• Advertisement

Pen1987 wrote: »
    All it means is you've got a certain type of vanity and hold your own opinion in far to high regard.

Ah yes, I do have something in common with her;)

Ah yes, I do have something in common with her;)

I'm not saying I don't. All I'm saying is, a few months writing the "up-coming gigs" sidebar in HotPress, or any other magazine for that matter, doesn't mean your opinion should be any more valued than that of the bassist from the band who are playing first in Dorans this rainy Tuesday. Or that of his 16 year old mate who is still not over his My Bloody Valentine phase.

Pen1987 wrote: »
    I'm not saying I don't. All I'm saying is, a few months writing the "up-coming gigs" sidebar in HotPress, or any other magazine for that matter, doesn't mean your opinion should be any more valued than that of the bassist from the band who are playing first in Dorans this rainy Tuesday. Or that of his 16 year old mate who is still not over his My Bloody Valentine phase.
    What is with all the ****ing personal attacks if you people are so into music talk about that instead of arguing about something I said 3 weeks ago,get a life like....
    And all this my age this my age that , you are just a kid. Knowing stuff about music doesn't depend ony our age at all....I am 19 years old and last time I checked that means.......an Adult.And yes I do have a job as a sound engineer...I'm an assistant ina prett High profile venue and work mostly on monitors....I have worked in venues such as TBF,The Village,Whelans, and at festivals I'm not allowed to mention so really age has nothing to do with experience
    For a bunch of people who are waffling on about age you sure are acting like a bunch of immature fools.
    Also I don't write for Hotpress,I am a photographer....So i don't know what all this bull**** is about me writing in the up and coming gigs section

because no sound engineer has ever felt too self-righteous/important and not listened to what a band wants from him/her...??

eh, favourite Irish indie band eh?

how about not Director or Fight Like Apes..
    I was just saying some bands can be very arrogant FFS!!!!!

What is with all the ****ing personal attacks if you people are so into music talk about that instead of arguing about something I said 3 weeks ago,get a life like....
    And all this my age this my age that , you are just a kid. Knowing stuff about music doesn't depend ony our age at all....I am 19 years old and last time I checked that means.......an Adult.And yes I do have a job as a sound engineer...I'm an assistant ina prett High profile venue and work mostly on monitors....I have worked in venues such as TBF,The Village,Whelans, and at festivals I'm not allowed to mention so really age has nothing to do with experience
    For a bunch of people who are waffling on about age you sure are acting like a bunch of immature fools. Also I don't write for Hotpress,I am a photographer....So i don't know what all this bull**** is about me writing in the up and coming gigs section

I used the personal fact you brought up originally to support your argument, to dismiss your argument. It wasn't a personal attack on my part, it was simply proving you wrong.

You said "probably not the best thing to say to someone doing an internship in hotpress, when you are making money writing for a music magazine and are a sound engineer come back and argue about music with me then until then well..."

I said nothing about you age, all I pointed out is that you working in HotPress is not an endorsement or proof of a good taste in music. I even pointed out that a 16 year old in Doran's has no more right to claim they have an amazing taste in music than any other, music journo or otherwise. It's all subjective so saying "dont say that to me, I work in HotPress" is foolish and arrogant, in my opinion.

And... your point here...
    Also I don't write for Hotpress,I am a photographer....So i don't know what all this bull**** is about me writing in the up and coming gigs section

is destroyed by your point here...
    when you are making money writing for a music magazine and are a sound engineer come back and argue about music with me then until then well...

All this rowing about HouseHippo is in relation to something she said to me a couple of weeks ago.

Who cares? I don't .....

What relevance does it have to Alt/Ind ? .... none

What would I do ? Just let it lie, it's boring.

Isn't there a 'Mindless Point Scoring' Forum it could be moved to?

All this rowing about HouseHippo is in relation to something she said to me a couple of weeks ago.

Who cares? I don't .....

What relevance does it have to Alt/Ind ? .... none

What would I do ? Just let it lie, it's boring.

Isn't there a 'Mindless Point Scoring' Forum it could be moved to?
    Thank you!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Paul Brewer - you still have a cough??

Paul Brewer - you still have a cough??

Yes, but it's clearing up now thank you ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pariko

Wrong. Hooray for Humans are on Out on the Limb from Cork.
    ASIWUFA got signed to Smalltown America from Derry

that is all.

L.

Wrong. Out On a Limb are from Limerick, and H4H are on both labels; OOAL for Ireland and Smalltown America for the UK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement