Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the most annoying ads on TV?!...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

gubby wrote:
    ok what about the adds ye like.. I remember an add for some car. and this sweet little girl is sitting in the back of a woman car as she is picking up her kids from school.. she politely tells the sweet child that her mommy is over there.. the sweet child look at her and in a very menicing voice says "SHOUT UP AND DRIVE" I love that add.
    the add i hate the most is the giggley teenagers texting each other and one walks out in front of a car and gets killed. I know is a good point but I am sorry I always turn over..

The girl from that texting drive safely ad is in my college doing some sort of course. You shoudl hear the stick she gets over that. Pretty much everyone that hates that ad (and thats a lot of people) walking down the corridor humming and singing "I wanna walk you home..do do do do do..". I'd say she regrets that ad so much by now.

Anywho heard a band do "the car crash medley" which is that and the " Can I tell you about my life " one. Great stuff.

Also I hate those car safety ads, I hate them soooo much. Mainly because they try so hard to terrify drivers into being careful, bu what about the pedestrians!!! I don't drive, and after I saw those ads I was ****ting myself walking around corners. Like if a car can just plough though a wall when you are playing in your back garden, then **** it, i'm not going outside. Mad bleedin' drivers!!!

Also that Coca-Cola ad is so annoying, ruined a great song by the Lighthouse Family. Got some crazy lady to give out coke to randomers on the street, which is nice and all... but look at her earrings!!! they are woeful!! Get them to remake it in inner city dublin, that would be funny.

ON the rte2 simpsons ad, I saw the ads for the simpsons on ch4 just before it, and since the Simpsons on channel4 ones are done so well I thought maybe it was just by comparison that the lisa voice was crap..... but no.... it is plain crap.

Although the new vibe of rte2 i'm liking, the rte2 brand animation thingies are great, best on any channel, and the ads are showing some humour now which is always good example the ads for predator and alien from last week.

Otherwise ringtone ads, ads with linda martin in them, tarot/physic ads, oh the ad for Michael Bubles album ( the "remember its not bubble, its Buuuuubllleeeeee" ) hated it so much I laughed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

ATM i really dispise the BOI student loan ad, where it has a number of students trying to blag a loan. They are saying one thing, but there are subtitles displaying what they are thinking. Then the bank manger appears saying some crap about how they love giving students loans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Saw an ad about Child Abuse the other night where there is a dummy used for a little girl, freaked the f-ing ****e outta me !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

The girl from that texting drive safely ad is in my college doing some sort of course. You shoudl hear the stick she gets over that. Pretty much everyone that hates that ad (and thats a lot of people) walking down the corridor humming and singing "I wanna walk you home..do do do do do..". I'd say she regrets that ad so much by now.

Are her eyebrows that mad in real life? Have ye ever checked them out? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I do agree about some of those safety ads. One in particular where the ambulance guy is on his walkie-talkie saying "one dead. They say it was the guy in the back without a seatbelt on". Who the hell are "they" I keep wondering to myself. Some strange pack of road travellers who always gather at accident spots chatting about who it was who caused the accident.
    I also remember an ad with a young boy in the backseat of a car looking out at 2 good looking women. The parents look around at one point to see these two women sitting in the back with the boy. If you swapped genders there you'd have an outcry.
    Finally any ad with irish accent dubbing (because we are such a sensitive nation who don't want english/us accents to tell us what we should buy). Give me a break.

• Advertisement

I've got another one !!! The ad for Car insurance, the bit where the guy is parked at Road Works in an open top car. A van drives up from behind him and he waves his arm to tell the driver of the van to slow down. Why? Is the van driver (in an elevated vehicle) not able to look over an open top car and see the road works? Stupid !!! Also the bloke in the car looks like a smug b**tard !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

logic1 wrote:
    I want to have sex with that girl until my penis falls off.

.logic.
    I must agree. I hate what she says, but the girl makes me flibble.

I actually liked those William Shatner ones. It was a bit WTF the first time I saw the ad, but they make me chuckle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

All the Nivea ads have terrible dubing in them, and their sh1te ads to boot. Any add that's been dubbed is usually cringeworthy anyway but the Nivea one's take the biscuit.

I remember watching the 'Walk you home' safety ad last Christmas at my sister's house and we were all kind of quiet during it, as you'd be. Anyway, at the end of the ad when the camera pans down to everyone's feet as they carry the coffin down the street my brother just burst out 'Neeewwww shooooeees' ala the Clarks ad, it was bloody funny. Good one to try if you're at a party that needs livening up, though not if there are sensitive types present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

when that new tommy girl add with beyonce singing in it came out , it seemed a lot onger and really bugged me a lot
    oh those flippin lyons tea ones with talking birds that make ya feel like your havin a really bad acid trip or something they scare me almost as much as the danone one where this big dinosaur comes out of nowhere talking to the kids , scarey sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

Dr. Loon wrote:
    Are her eyebrows that mad in real life? Have ye ever checked them out? :)

yes... yes they are....

Also she doesn't have fro in real life.

I was disappointed, such a loss to the entertainment of mainkind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

unme wrote:
    Yes indeed. The singing Coca-Cola woman ad is up there with the worst. I assume it takes hours if not days or weeks to create these ads from concept to finish - certainly enough time for someone to ask "Isn't this a bit silly?"

I don't know about you, but if some nitbrain handed me an open bottle of something from her handbag as she goes singing down the street, I wouldn't even think of drinking it (at least not without first having it tested in a crime lab).
    I did work experience in an advertising agency and when we were making an ad, the guy said "This is either going to be hillarious or really bad". It was the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

The Michael Winner advert for car insurance

"Realx it's only an advert, dear", yeah? and this is only a brick heading at your stupid, fat head!

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Diet Coke ad where some stupid blonde throws herself down a flight of stairs just to get the attention of some dude she fancies. Gah, that's such a crap ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

jor el wrote:
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the Diet Coke ad where some stupid blonde throws herself down a flight of stairs just to get the attention of some dude she fancies. Gah, that's such a crap ad.
    Thats not the point at all.... JESUS....

This ad tells you that diet coke makes in invulnerable to any kind of fall (especially stairs), and you won't get a scratch, bruise or any broken bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Oh thank God I'm not alone in hating a variety of sh1t ads.

That Lisa Simpson ad is woeful. Bank of Ireland ad makes me want to murder someone, as do those 57777 ads (esp. the little blip at the end). Halifax ads with "Howard" the bank manager...argh! All nappy, wet wipes, bog roll ads. The talking armchair from the One Direct ads...

Oh no, there's loads more but I can't think of them...I'll be back :cool:

I do love the Lyons Tea bird ads though "I been away for a bit"
    "Dress? I couldn't fit in the changing room. Cow!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Aava

That Sprite Zero ad makes no sense at all. It seems to tell guys that if you buy Sprite Zero for a girl she'll take her top off for you... :rolleyes:

And why isn't she wearing a bra underneath?? Her boobs would bounce all over the place while she was jogging otherwise. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

those tampax compact ads, especially the one with the really scary moth

TmB wrote:
    Thats not the point at all.... JESUS....

This ad tells you that diet coke makes in invulnerable to any kind of fall (especially stairs), and you won't get a scratch, bruise or any broken bones.
    Aaah, so it's invincibility Coke then, now I see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Bounty ads with the blokes dressed as old women

There's a woman who lives up the road from me who looks EXACTLY like the blonde one, even down to the clothes. Scary. :eek:

The singing coca cola woman drives me bonkers - me reaches for the mute button pronto

The recycling ads are diabolical - the guy is Diarmuid Gavin the 'celebrity'
    gardener and the woman is a comedienne, allegedly, from the Hole in the Wall Gang, responsible for inflicting series after series of BBC1 Northern Ireland's "Give my Head Peace" on an undeserving public

Those ads for the Halifax building society. Enough said.

The ad where the kid is texting another kid and he gets run over...dreadful song on that ad..."I want to walk you home" or something awful like that...

Wherever possible, I video stuff on commercial channels and zip through the ads. I'm sick of watching a two-hour show on UTV and seeing the same ads in EVERY ad break. Do they really want us to turn off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

spotted those damn TV licence ads again

and who could forget "CILLIT BANG" just look at this penny, good as new!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

That ad for Nutrigrain Chewy; "the pureness of honey" - maybe I'm a bit f*cking stupid but shouldn't that be "the purity of honey".

Maybe the ad copy was written by someone whose first language isn't English? Nothing wrong with that but surely spelling & grammer* checks are part of the process?

EDIT: * grammar - woops :confused: (well I'm not the one getting paid 80k a year)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ha! i saw her at a irish play in 5th year... she go so much stick over that ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

"Did shoi just shoike her tictacs at mui?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

There's one of those infinite number of moblie phone thingys ad that really makes me want to smash my head through the TV :mad: :mad: :mad:

It's an ad for 'CRAZY SOUNDS' and it features the CRAZY Frog, some mission impossible thing (this Phone will self destuct....) and South Park (oh my God they killed kenny) They might as well put 'Wassup' in there too!!!

Anyone else seen it?

Another won for ye !!! The Uncle Bens Savoury sauces where the family are dancing around like Indians (from India that is), God (pardon the pun) but I just wanna kill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

BolBill wrote:
    Another won for ye !!! The Uncle Bens Savoury sauces where the family are dancing around like Indians (from India that is), God (pardon the pun) but I just wanna kill them.

I hate all the uncle ben's bloody ads, the one with the lazy ass cooking dinner for his wife, the one where the group copy the dance the guy cooking the dinner does, that indian one....aaaagh!

the one that get's my goat at the moment is the Bailey's 'fluid movement' one, where everyone bumps into each other and moves like the baileys in the glass...then it's a guy that's drinking it at the end....unless he's got a double brandy in it, I don't know any men that drinks baileys in a pub/bar! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

The Surf's Law ads - ie the ones with the sock trying to escape the basket and then there's one left behind that does a Muttley laugh, and the bird crapping on the washing line. Always seems to be on around dinner time..and the music is really sinister as well. Or maybe it's just me... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Shooting the people on the uncle bens ads is too good for them, they need to be tortured! I hate them so much too.

That mobile one with some guy on it Argggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!,
    57777 YIPPEE! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

D&#233 wrote: »
    The Surf's Law ads - ie the ones with the sock trying to escape the basket and then there's one left behind that does a Muttley laugh, and the bird crapping on the washing line. Always seems to be on around dinner time..and the music is really sinister as well. Or maybe it's just me... ;)
    Whoever made that sock one was seriously taking the piss, or has some serious hidden issues.

I mean, if they were any more phallic, they'd be dripping white fluid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Any ad that attempts to spread the cult of Feminie men. There are a few of them but Nivea seem to produce more than most. Any ad with a man chiding his girlfriend for her Cucumber face mask coz he has a better moisturiser needs to be banned. Plus that muck where that twat, topless of course, is rolling around the bed with his child all laughs and smiles. Makes me want to puke! :mad:

Advertisement