Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the most annoying ads on TV?!...

Options
  • 22-10-2004 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭

What are the ads that really irritate you? I have 3 that are doing the rounds at the moment (actually, the 3rd one.. not so much!). Feel free to share your own. Here are my 3:

1. The Recycle Your Waste Ad - i'm sure ye've all seen this by now. The oul' one taking a liking to the young fella telling her all about how to take care of waste etc. Oh, and all the hilarity (!) / sexual innuendo (minor) / chat up lines ensue. :rolleyes: And it always ends with Sheryl Crow's "A Change Would Do You Good". I'm pretty sure the two in the ad are minor celebrities, but i'm just not aware of their names. This is quite a statement but i think i'm well justified in saying: it's possibly the most annoying ad ever!

2. Lisa Simpson's Penpal in Ireland - this ad is either supposed to be really unintentionally funny or just plain bad! The ad itself isn't too bad - it's fairly standard (a montage of clips from various Simpsons episodes to reflect Lisa writing a letter to her new penpal in Ireland). What really irritates me (and i don't think i'm alone here) is the voiceover they've done for Lisa? If you're gonna do a voiceover, get someone who at least can make a half-assed attempt at it? RTE2, take note!

3. Go Walking / Go Biking - the jingle!.... Enough said! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Every single ring tone one.
    Every single insurance one.
    Argos ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

basquille wrote:
    What are the ads that really irritate you? I have 3 that are doing the rounds at the moment (actually, the 3rd one.. not so much!). Feel free to share your own. Here are my 3:

1. The Recycle Your Waste Ad - i'm sure ye've all seen this by now. The oul' one taking a liking to the young fella telling her all about how to take care of waste etc. Oh, and all the hilarity (!) / sexual innuendo (minor) / chat up lines ensue. :rolleyes: And it always ends with Sheryl Crow's "A Change Would Do You Good". I'm pretty sure the two in the ad are minor celebrities, but i'm just not aware of their names. This is quite a statement but i think i'm well justified in saying: it's possibly the most annoying ad ever!

YES!! I was bout to post bout this very ad when i seen this thread. I seen that ad again tonight! I hate it so much. Your not wrong bout it possibly being the most annoying ad ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Linda fu(king Martin selling mortgages - "John and Eileen White did!"

Anyone who's seen it will know what I'm on about.

I only see maybe 10 minutes of TV in the morning and I'm guaranteed to see this ad at least once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

RedBull ads. Can't seem to go to a film anymore without having to sit (ie suffer) thru one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Speaking of cinema ads, that BOI Student loans one is damn annoying.
    As are the Becks ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

"Train tracks are ching ching, bit of cash, know what I mean?"

Jesus, does anyone really talk like that?

I have to go with the recycling ones too. They're terrible.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

TmB wrote:

sadly, yes

TmB wrote:
    I hate the whole smarmy tone of that ad in general.

Mr. Banker : 'Ah, you Generation-Whine kids are already so smart and insightful as to how the world works that I might as well be transparent with you as to how we turn a profit'

Generation-Whine kids: *tut* 'Loser!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I hate the ads for starving kids with riverblindness while I'm trying to have me tea.
    There's something wrong when they ask for €2 a month to feed the kids but the next ad is asking for €3 a month for the cats and dogs home. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭unme

basquille wrote:

1. The Recycle Your Waste Ad - i'm sure ye've all seen this by now. The oul' one taking a liking to the young fella telling her all about how to take care of waste etc. Oh, and all the hilarity (!) / sexual innuendo (minor) / chat up lines ensue. :rolleyes: And it always ends with Sheryl Crow's "A Change Would Do You Good". I'm pretty sure the two in the ad are minor celebrities, but i'm just not aware of their names. This is quite a statement but i think i'm well justified in saying: it's possibly the most annoying ad ever! :(

Yes, you are exactly right, this is a pitiful attempt to get a message across in an ad. I have no idea who the pair in the ad are either, but they should just find themselves a room. The recycling cause is good, but what a waste of money and opportunity with such a crappy ad.

Also, i nominate the Tarot/Psychic line ads. It seems that those Tarot companies know it is all just a con and it is not worth spending money on real ads, as only fools will be interested. Splash a premium rate phone number on the screen and sit back for the suckers to call. mwhahahah

Also, as mentioned above, the Bank "ching ching, traintracks" ad. What a pathetic attempt to reach out to young people. Take heed Mr. Bank person, young people hate you, your greed and your patronising ads!!!

And finally, I hate any of those ads for computer stores... Have you ever been met by a good looking person in one of these stores who politely approached to help?? Come to think of it, have you ever even managed to find anyone in those computer stores that has even the first clue about what they are selling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The McDonalds "Loving it" ads.

Children + rapping = agonisingly painful television.

That's not to say the "grownup" ones are any better.

Also, "The real world of Coca-cola" ad is terrible. It might as well be the CEO saying "Slave labour? What slave labour?"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Having spent a week in the US, be thankful our ads haven't got as bad those the ones over there. Trust me, they are woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've got another one... its a classic cinema ad.

Big warning appears on screen - "Warning - you should not attempt the following without the right protection". Cut to girl arriving at row of seats in the cinema. She edges her way past about 8 people and sits down with a 'deer in headlights' look on her face.

The tagline? "Don't attempt this without Tampax Compact...."

(Yeah, heaven forbid we see a little damp patch or smell something untoward....)

I've seen this ad on TV too, but for some reason they cut out the closeup of her ass (as if it would offend tv viewers). I find the whole ad offensive, to be honest. It always seems to elicit groans, laughs, "oh my god" comments in a darkened cinema.

Are any girls actually watching that ad and going "Jesus, I never thought of that", or "Now THATS why I arrive early", or "God her ass is huge".

I'd bet €100 that the ad was the creative product of a male mind (or team)...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

TmB wrote:

I have to go with the recycling ones too. They're terrible.....

Ah that bit in particular infuriates me about that ad, tho it is ****e in general. My personal hate is and ad for coco-pops with a milf, she finds her kid in his own room, pretending to read an atlas or mabye its an encyclopedia, when he is really hiding a comic book, then the ma looks at him like he's being a real menace.

FFS ITS A COMIC BOOK. the child is reading it in his own house, in his own room, perfectly quietly, yet he hides it behind an atlas. gah, it probably doesnt annoy anyone else. but i hate it.

feels good to get that off my chest

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

all the ringtone ad's god sake why any1 waste their money on such ****e esp. that baby cakes song. :(

that lisa simpson ad on rte two.

is that actually meant to be her voice?

if it is i can see the comic book guy wearing the "WORST VOICE-OVER EVER" t-shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I saw the Lisa Simpson ad earlier on....sounded like Lisa with a blocked nose :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

She sounds more like Peter Lorre. Rest assured I was on the internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

The "dude, your getting a Dell" is a rather annoying advertisment..

He probably annoyed me at the time but I must admit I miss the Dell Dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

There was something so stupid about the dell guy, that somehow made me love him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ads in America are awful. The law offices of Ron Kanoski! Tell them YOU mean business!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

What about the British Accident Claim ads - in particular the one where the twat says

"we deal with all claims by phone and post", as the phone he is talking on gets pulled away to the left!

AAAH: Scary Lawyer doing Low-Budget : That sure puts a light on in my head to call them!

I C yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Bounty ads with the blokes dressed as old women.
    ringtone and insurance ads
    Co-op ads with the stupid songs.

Crucifix wrote:
    There was something so stupid about the dell guy, that somehow made me love him.

And the dell dude had much love to give us all. A bodacious radical love that many of us were not yet ready for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

im glad we dont have the lawyer ones here, they have really long names in America! like Phebus, Winkelmann, Wong And Bramfeld :) I know where their offices are hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Bessacadia

Slunk wrote:
    Bounty ads with the blokes dressed as old women.
    ringtone and insurance ads
    Co-op ads with the stupid songs.

Aaahhh - the Bounty one is good!
    I hate anything with Carol Vorderman or Linda Barker in it..
    And if I hear the babycakes ringtone once more I will scream...

Pigman II wrote:
    And the dell dude had much love to give us all. A bodacious radical love that many of us were not yet ready for.

I kinda dislike that dell dude, or perhaps its the shlty music that accompanies the ad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

The Singing Coca Cola Woman!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

attack that attic with a stira!!! (or how ever you spell it)

Advertisement