Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11/N25 - Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour [route options published]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Yep - I noticed those "Crossbeg says no to Motorway" signs and frankly I don't believe this is the work of some clueless Oilgate locals.

I suspect the same folk (or type of folk) who made much ado about nothing in the Glen of the Downs a decade ago are behind this.

Seems they are using the usual anti-roads tactics of throwing in every objection (including the kitchen sink). Agricultural communities, Wexford Town Centre, building roads while the country is broke - etcetera. This is being done to a formula, right down to the Crossbeg signs.

What they should realise is that with the infrastructure budget being slashed and concentrated on Railways in Dublin the rustics of Wexford need not worry about this for at least a decade! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

They can sabre-rattle all they want but their efforts will be futile. The bottom line is if the NRA want to progress this scheme they will. Local NIMBYism is no grounds for objection and will not be entertained by bord pleanala, it is only environmental stuff that will stop a road.

One would have imagined Wexford people would be thankful for phenomenal amount money being invested in the counties road infrastructure with the New Ross / Enniscorthy Bypasses on the way.

Although I can't see this particular scheme going anywhere in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mcgeebers

It looks like the entire N11 will be upgraded to dual / motorway standard.

Section 4 of the report is prioritising the Dublin - Rosslare, and Cork - Rosslare routes, as well as the Atlantic Corridor south of Galway, i.e. Galway - Limerick - Cork - Rosslare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

mcgeebers wrote: »
    It looks like the entire N11 will be upgraded to dual / motorway standard.

Section 4 of the report is prioritising the Dublin - Rosslare, and Cork - Rosslare routes, as well as the Atlantic Corridor south of Galway, i.e. Galway - Limerick - Cork - Rosslare

I see that now
    focus on those road connections which are needed to facilitate and promote economic
    recovery. By definition such roads are the major interurban routes between Dublin and the
    regional cities - which will be completed by end 2010 - and key strategic routes linking Dublin
    and Cork to Rosslare Port (part of the Trans European Network)
    and linking Galway to Cork
    (part of the Atlantic Road Corridor). The existing road network should be maintained to a
    sufficient standard to ensure the value of the original capital investment does not depreciate
    prematurely over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Newlands is important and they know it. It'll be a vote-booster if anything but it is known that its the most ridiculous bottleneck in the country.

If the N7/M11 PPP fails, I'd expect Newlands to go ahead from the capital budget as it wont be too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Other than the use of the word "complete" and "inter urbans" ....meaning Newlands Cross I take it......there is no commitment to complete any other route by 2016 although I am optimistic about Galway Limerick :D

"Focus on" means that Dempsey will announce reviews, designs, traffic surveys, consultancy gigs ad nauseum. Same as he does nowadays.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marathont wrote: »
    1. Motorway to Rosslare
    So, has the standard of this road been announced yet? Personally I think dual is more than enough.

spacetweek wrote: »
    So, has the standard of this road been announced yet? Personally I think dual is more than enough.

Personally I would not spend a penny on the N11 south of Gorey but I would certainly finish off the Rathnew - Arklow gap. There is a greater justification for widening the N11 north of Bray to Shankill than there is for a dualler from Gorey to Rosslare.

The commitment they gave was to "progress" the N11, it means that the Rathnew Arklow gap is very likely to be sorted and the Ferns and Enniscorthy bypass is likely.

The missing word in the governments plan was "complete". ....even though they could :)

Nearly agree with you Sponge :eek:!

The M50/M11 and M11/N11 past Bray/Kilmac is way more in need of upgrading than the N11 south of Gorey.

But should this be either/or?

What are the traffic counts through Enniscorthy?

Wild Bill wrote: »

What are the traffic counts through Enniscorthy?

Unusually they never published the EIS Bill, add 15-20% to all of these counts below I would say

http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/Transportation/file,3676,en.PDF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Other than the use of the word "complete" and "inter urbans" ....meaning Newlands Cross I take it......there is no commitment to complete any other route by 2016 although I am optimistic about Galway Limerick :D

"Focus on" means that Dempsey will announce reviews, designs, traffic surveys, consultancy gigs ad nauseum. Same as he does nowadays.

I am glad to see some 'life' getting back into this site at last,instead of the stupid squabbling that was going on for the last while, do people not realise how boring the whole thing gets, ita as boring as the politicians (all sides) in Dail Eireann - anyway back to the point. Was on to NRA today, they informed me that the tenders for both M11 and Newlads X will be awarded by year end and commencement Q1 2011 and Newlands X should take less than 18 months to complete ie around end of 2012

Is ti not time to split the M11 & Newlands X forums?

Only a suggestion

apologies
    I was on on the wrong thread-no need for split on this thread

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Personally I would not spend a penny on the N11 south of Gorey but I would certainly finish off the Rathnew - Arklow gap. There is a greater justification for widening the N11 north of Bray to Shankill than there is for a dualler from Gorey to Rosslare.
    Agreed.... but do you know the standard?

The protesters keep saying "No to Motorway" - I presume this is what they call a dual carriageway. You're not seriously telling me there'll be a full motorway to Rosslare?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Agreed.... but do you know the standard?

No. Hoowever 2+2 south of Enniscorthy would be more than adequate.

The section through Crusty Valley further north cannot be upgraded to Motorway because there is no real alternative route ( save for a putative tunnel) and that is the main reason why there will never be a motorway from Dublin to Rosslare.

Crusty Valley? Where that?

I am a frequent user of Rosslare Ferryport and I must say that while Gorey was a traffic nightmare, since it was bypassed I've never experienced any serious delays further south (Camolin, Ferns, Enniscorthy, Wexford and the Tagoatians).

(Though I did nearly miss a boat a month ago due to a crash on N25 outside Rosslare).

It's in Wicklow Bill.

Never heard of it and I've lived along the N11 half my life! :confused:

You don't mean Rocky Valley in Kilmacanogue?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I am a frequent user of Rosslare Ferryport and I must say that while Gorey was a traffic nightmare, since it was bypassed I've never experienced any serious delays further south (Camolin, Ferns, Enniscorthy, Wexford and the Tagoatians).

(Though I did nearly miss a boat a month ago due to a crash on N25 outside Rosslare).

I don't know what time you travel, but enniscorthy is a real bottleneck especially southbound for most of the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Never heard of it and I've lived along the N11 half my life! :confused:

You don't mean Rocky Valley in Kilmacanogue?

I'm assuming he's talking about the Glen of the Downs, the crusties been the tree huggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the section between Fassaroe and Kilquade (through GotD) can't be upgraded as its an online upgrade of the previous route, but it could be majorly improved by closing off a load of LILO junctions (Kilquade alone has 4 seperate junctions on the northbound side) and putting in proper distributor roads at Kilmacanogue. The Newtown bypass is good enough to be redesignated but the back road between Newtown and Ashford is little more than a country track in places.

Some more in the Wexford People today about the Oilgate-Rosslare Harbour Upgrade.
    Residents in Newbay/Coolree objecting. Senator Twomey says he doubts motorway will be built and then complains that only 210 million has been spent on Wexford's roads in the last decade. He ignores the fact that the N11 upgrades in Wicklow benefit Wexford.

Then there is this from Wexford Chamber of Commerce :eek:

WEXFORD Chamber of Commerce is joining the fray and putting together an objection to the proposed new N11/N25 motorway.

In a letter to their membership the Chamber have said that they believe the proposed new motorway will ' have a detrimental effect on the entire Business Community situated in the town of Wexford'.
    ' we feel that the future viability of Wexford Town and it's businesses has to be high on our list of priorities,' it continues.

jd wrote: »
    Some more in the Wexford People today about the Oilgate-Rosslare Harbour Upgrade.
    Residents in Newbay/Coolree objecting. Senator Twomey says he doubts motorway will be built and then complains that only 210 million has been spent on Wexford's roads in the last decade. He ignores the fact that the N11 upgrades in Wicklow benefit Wexford.

Then there is this from Wexford Chamber of Commerce :eek:

I dont see how it will affect wexford town at all. Nobody goes in through Wexford town, to get to Rosslare.

Only effect I can see is it will bring Wexford closer to Dublin, which may mean businesses and Industry may be more likely to locate there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I dont see how it will affect wexford town at all. Nobody goes in through Wexford town, to get to Rosslare.

Only effect I can see is it will bring Wexford closer to Dublin, which may mean businesses and Industry may be more likely to locate there.

or people (consumers) will go to Dublin, as it is "closer" ???

dmeehan wrote: »
    or people (consumers) will go to Dublin, as it is "closer" ???

Good point, although I think the benefits will out way the negatives for Wexford commerce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

WEXFORD Chamber of Commerce is joining the fray and putting together an objection to the proposed new N11/N25 motorway.

In a letter to their membership the Chamber have said that they believe the proposed new motorway will ' have a detrimental effect on the entire Business Community situated in the town of Wexford'.
    ' we feel that the future viability of Wexford Town and it's businesses has to be high on our list of priorities,' it continues.

Motorway will have detrimental effect on business will it? Some whiz kids in Wexford CoC, huh.

Well, as The West has it's hand out for investment maybe we should give Wexford it's wish and put the money elsewhere?

Mind you - there are crusties over there too as we see from the blockage of the Galway Orb. :D

Well Don Curtin replied..

http://www.wexfordecho.ie/news/story/?trs=mhgbidsnkf&cat=news
    IRISH TAXPAYERS will shoulder the cost of the planned new Oylegate to Rosslare Harbour motorway it has emerged.

Mr. Curtin said that, as part of the Route Selection process, an initial recommendation will be made on the proposed road types for the various elements of the scheme.
    This initial recommendation will be further developed during the design phase of the scheme. He said the funding mechanism for the construction of the scheme will only be decided following the Statutory Processes (CPO/EIS, etc.).
    “The construction of the scheme may be Exchequerfunded or may be financed by means of a public private partnership (PPP). The latter does not necessarily mean that the road would be tolled (e.g. The M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy and N25 New Ross Bypass schemes are to be procured by a PPP mechanism but will not be tolled).

“As part of the environmental assessment, consideration is being given to the potential impact of the proposed route options on tourism in the area under the headings of “Human Beings “ and “Material Assets”.

I don't know what time you travel, but enniscorthy is a real bottleneck especially southbound for most of the afternoon.

I stand corrected.

I'd usually be heading South in the morning and North in the evening. That's if I wasn't heading West in the morning and East in the Evening ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Out of interest, does the NRA ever update it's website?

I somehow don't think the timeline on their site is correct:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/WexfordCountyCouncil/N1125OilgatetoRosslareHarbour/SchemeName,16409,en.html
    N11/25 Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour

Local Authority:Wexford County Council
    Start County:
    Wexford
    End County:
    Wexford
    Description:
    The project entails major improvement of the N11 southwards from the end of the M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy project. The N11 currently terminates at its junction with the N25 to the west of Wexford town. This project will also include the major improvement of the N25 between Wexford town and Rosslare Harbour. The improved access to Rosslare Europort will be a priority.

This project has been funded by the Irish Government under the National Development Plan and Transport 21.

Mainline Length (km):35
    Estimated Completion Date:June 2010 :confused:
    Current Project Phase:
    Constraints Study

Advertisement