Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11/N25 - Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour [route options published]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 HouseMartins

Enniscorthy By-pass been put on hold...... does this have any reflection on Oilgate to Rosslare??????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Enniscorthy By-pass been put on hold...... does this have any reflection on Oilgate to Rosslare??????

Well Oilgate -Rosslare was never going to happen before Enniscorthy by-pass.

I doubt we'd see Oilgate-Rosslare starting before 2018 or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

It's likely that they will finalise whatever the scheme's current stage is before mothballing it for a few years, to post-2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 HouseMartins

I was under the impressions that because the majority of the money was EU, it had to go ahead by a certain time...... As the EU doesn't want Ireland sitting on that sort of money and not using it.......

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see in March, when the route selection is finalised!!!

Even if we wanted to sell at this point we cldn't due to current climate, we were banking on the road getting us out of this house into a better one!!!

Tremelo wrote: »
    It's likely that they will finalise whatever the scheme's current stage is before mothballing it for a few years, to post-2015.

Yip, it would certainly give some clarity on what can be developed and where. Eg if they do an off line upgrade around Wexford, that would have implications for what could be developed around the current ring-road.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Looking at the NRA website is like viewing a corpse.

Nothing happens; no updates.

Are they psychologically incapable of giving bad news?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Looking at the NRA website is like viewing a corpse.

Nothing happens; no updates.

Are they psychologically incapable of giving bad news?

They still have the M50 phase 2 listed as under construction...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scotia Major

Has anyone got any inside scope as to which routes it has narrowed down too? I heard somewhere that they had narrowed it down to 2 routes. G being one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gym_mom

the decision is to be made in June officially but more likely May according to Don Curtin. I think rumors of it being wittled down at this stage are just rumors, there is certainly no official word on it yet.

I haven't read this entire thread but is there plans to upgrade the single carriageway along the N11, Co. Wicklow. The road around Jack Whites or the Beehive specifically. Stuck in traffic there bumper to bumper would sicken any man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gym_mom

I haven't read this entire thread but is there plans to upgrade the single carriageway along the N11, Co. Wicklow. The road around Jack Whites or the Beehive specifically. Stuck in traffic there bumper to bumper would sicken any man.

No that would be too sensible. They'd rather spend millions upgrading a road that has no traffic problems.

gym_mom wrote: »
    No that would be too sensible. They'd rather spend millions upgrading a road that has no traffic problems.

That is scheduled to start this year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055983737&page=15

jd wrote: »

Great hopefully it does actually start next year. God knows when Enniscorty or New Ross will be by passes if even this decade. How they didn't get bypassed during the boom is beyond me. If Wexford had ministers again I suppose it might make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

This appeared on etenders today, I presume it means they ready to start the CPO process which would indicate a route has been selected.

A route has been selected and the EIS is approved: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055847297

A route has been selected and the EIS is approved: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055847297

Not for N11/N25 - Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour

Not for N11/N25 - Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour

I was answering in response to comments made about the Enniscorthy Bypass. The thread is getting a bit muddled; I've bumped the Enniscorthy Bypass there so that people can talk about it at the appropriate place if they wish.

What does EIS approval mean?

What does EIS approval mean?

EIS = environmental impact statement, drawn up by the NRA/civil engineers. This is then submitted to An Bord Planeála, which will either approve or reject it. Essentially, EIS approval means the scheme has planning permission.

EIS = environmental impact statement, drawn up by the NRA/civil engineers. This is then submitted to An Bord Planeála, which will either approve or reject it. Essentially, EIS approval means the scheme has planning permission.

Great news. Hopefully this will be built but considering the length of time it took/will take them to start the N11 death trap Rathnew to Arklow then I wont be holding my breath that it will be finished this decade.

I don't really get the comments from posters about Rosslare Europort being in terminal decline. It has declined somewhat in the last decade. Obviously during the boom people could afford the flights to Europe and other far off destinations and air travel was cheap. Thats changing. People will use the ferry's again in big numbers to go on holidays. Oil is running out, it will not get cheaper. The Chinese are using more and more of the stuff followed by the Indians. Planes use a lot more fuel that boats. I can easily see a ideally located port like Rosslare becoming big again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Great news. Hopefully this will be built but considering the length of time it took/will take them to start the N11 death trap Rathnew to Arklow then I wont be holding my breath that it will be finished this decade.

I don't really get the comments from posters about Rosslare Europort being in terminal decline. It has declined somewhat in the last decade. Obviously during the boom people could afford the flights to Europe and other far off destinations and air travel was cheap. Thats changing. People will use the ferry's again in big numbers to go on holidays. Oil is running out, it will not get cheaper. The Chinese are using more and more of the stuff followed by the Indians. Planes use a lot more fuel that boats. I can easily see a ideally located port like Rosslare becoming big again.

Great logic there, build a Motorway to a port located in a rural area far from the major population centres because oil is running out. Nice one.

Great logic there, build a Motorway to a port located in a rural area far from the major population centres because oil is running out. Nice one.

Haha smart hole. Rosslare is closer to the continent. In fact Rosslare is a lot closer than Cork to Britain and way closer to the continent than Dublin. Do you really think motorways will not be used in the future because we are running out of oil?! Great logic there. Already we are moving away from oil based fuel cars and towards hybrids and electric cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They'll be used in the future but its a travesty if this scheme gets built before the M20.

They'll be used in the future but its a travesty if this scheme gets built before the M20.

Agreed, but the should proceed with the route selection. I'm not convinced ofthe need for motorway all the way to Rosslare. Perhaps motorway from south end of Clogh/Enniscorthy scheme to first Wexford Junction, and 2+2 for the rest of the route to Rosslare.

Agreed, but the should proceed with the route selection. I'm not convinced ofthe need for motorway all the way to Rosslare. Perhaps motorway from south end of Clogh/Enniscorthy scheme to first Wexford Junction, and 2+2 for the rest of the route to Rosslare.

I also think that would be sufficient as long as Enniscorthy is bypassed.

From http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/transport/current/spt.pdf

It can be seen that Rosslare handled 3 times the number of arrivals and gross tonnage that Cork in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Cork needs the N28 upgrade far more than Rosslare needs the N11/N25 upgrade.

CorkIreland needs the N28 upgrade far more than Rosslare it needs the N11/N25 upgrade.

Fixed that for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Cork needs the N28 upgrade far more than Rosslare needs the N11/N25 upgrade.

If Rosslare is a busier carport, how come? :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Existing N11 can handle the traffic it gets better than the existing N28 can; also if the EU funded ferries to Spain and possibly southern France get going from Cork it'll be handling far more trucks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Haha smart hole. Rosslare is closer to the continent. In fact Rosslare is a lot closer than Cork to Britain and way closer to the continent than Dublin. Do you really think motorways will not be used in the future because we are running out of oil?! Great logic there. Already we are moving away from oil based fuel cars and towards hybrids and electric cars.

You're all over the place here. You maintain a dual position that we're so oil dependant that air travel will decline and people will return to the ferries, but that technology will advance so much that cars will run on alternative fuels.

Which is it then? if the advances in alternative fuel energy take place then i'm sure we'll see it implemented in both cars & planes, thus negating your original post that Rosslare will see a boom in passenger ferry services with a decline in air traffic. You can't have it both ways.

And let's be realistic here, the short N28 project services 3 needs - providing a commuter motorway, servicing the pharmaceutical area of Cork harbour and linking Rinkaskiddy port to the national network. This contrasts to the Rosslare M-way which will be a greenfield motorway servicing a rural hinterland with a tiny AADT and little room for traffic growth barring the kind of wishy washy predictions like above. In value for money for terms as well strategic terms the N28 wins hands down every time when comparing the 2 schemes on their merits.

Advertisement