Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brief Doom3 rant

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I've been playing it on and off for the last 3 days and was initially very disappointed, but I have to admit it's growing on me. Sure everything's dark (so far) but have a look at the amount of detail that they still put into every area. There aren't just boxes placed randomly or the odd flickering light, a lot of thought seems to have been put into each and every room to make it seem functional, not just ornamental.
    The sound is absolutely stunning imho, even just on Stereo. Ed Lima did a fantastic job in showing how important Audio is to a title, for me it's the single most scarey thing in the game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just back from the States with a "legitimate" official copy of the game.
    First off my expectations were not very high except what I gleaned from the good review in PC Gamer so I love the game.
    This is for Doom fans big time. There are parts of maps with homages to the original game if you can spot them. It's straight forward shot, move, pick up key but done with style. Maps have been very thoughtfully designed to keep you scared and on edge throughout and I want to pick up items and I want to shoot the bad guys so thats ok with me.
    Oh yeah and theres this really cool skull creature who has the power to fly as well as the power to emit and control fire so he generally appears with flames. He controls the fire really well because it can do him no harm and when he passes through walls he stops the flames for a brief moment. I love imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I think people are not understanding why realism can go a long way in a game like this. The demons coming out on mars is the extraordinary event which you are trying to stop. But logic and realism should apply to the rest of the gaming world like the flashlight on the guns argument. It´s just so painfully obvious that they are seperate items in an attempt to make it harder or generate some suspence or whatever that it becomes annoying.

As for gameplay, the only people who´re raving about this game are mainly fanboys of Doom. They´re probably just as happy playing the original Doom. Killing demons that comes out of secret rooms might have worked over 10 years ago when there really wasn´t any expectations for a first person shooter but people want more these days. Doom3 is just a very impressive interactive tech demo.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

CodeMonkey wrote:
    But logic and realism should apply to the rest of the gaming world like the flashlight on the guns argument.QUOTE]

Go get the ducktape mod!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

CodeMonkey wrote:
    As for gameplay, the only people who´re raving about this game are mainly fanboys of Doom.
    im still a massive, MASSIVE fan of the origional Doom games, have finished all of em 3 times or more each, and I still do play them, regularly, played through Doom2 not much over a month ago. But yet I still loved every second of Doom3, this game is still Doom, mindless violence from start to finish, its just now the deamons look threatening, move fluidly and rapidly, and the game now has proper lighing (the best to date too IMO), but at heart it still is Doom. I played this game expecting it to be drivel really, I expected nothing from it, thinking it would be nothing like Doom, and that it would have a charecter based story line, instead I got just what I really wanted, little dialogue, alot of killing, and a genuinely scarey game at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

What did you people expect?
    Its DOOM fer chrissakes.

If you liked Doom, you like Doom 3. If you want to play a more cerebral game, then this isnt for you. Its not supposed to be a CRPG, or a rpg/fps crossover. Its a FPS - first person shooter, and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Some people have just built this up way too much in their own minds, and i dont know hwat you were expecting. This game gives what it promised, great graphics, monsters, a bit of a story line, guns and the ability to kill things.

Its a shooter not a thinker!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Theres been a load of games that have had all these story elements and interactivity or whatever thrown into it. Still crap.

And shut up about the flashlight already, it's a game, to not seperate them is to remove suspense. If you complain "this is a cheap way to do it" you're an idiot. It works well. Fuck off back to COD or whatever WW2 sim is currently being lauded over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

As Bizmark will tell you i had 0 hopes on this game and wasnt even getting it , but when i did i was amazed at how good it was, FPS are normally boring add in the scare factor but done with movie like sound and visuals and then Doomage and this is a class game.

Doom fanboys? thats a bit weird cos i know not one single person who plays FPS that dislikes Doom. So technically every FPS player is a doom fanboy. Run shoot kill repeat when done well it can be an awesome gaming exp, when not done well , it falls into the "oh another fps" category. Doom 3 does it well.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I just found it a bit of a DOOM Clone!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pinapples

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this is NOTHING like the original Doom games? :confused:
    Its slow paced, dark, and closed in, like a first person resident evil. Doom was fast, furious and full of action.
    Graphics are nice, but the only REAL breakthrough is the character modals. Early weapons are VERY disapointing. More peashooter than POWer. Still, it has some atmosphere.
    I think it's a decent game, but no classic. It will quickly lose its charm as we get more acustomed to the better graphics in contempory games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If you turn the in game Gamma to max, and up your windows brightness a bit, so you can see everywhere slightly clearly, you can get away with playing pretty damn fast, I started again playing from the start of Hell onwards with much upped brightness, just belting through it at full speed, insane adrenaline madness really, definately try it rambo style once you finish it the slow atmospheric way :)

Advertisement