Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brief Doom3 rant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭R_Tribesman

In addition to my previous post, i would also like to point out: Yes, after been a little dissappointed at farcry and alot dissapointed at doom3 im getting a little anxious about HL2 :/. Perhaps games just are not living up to the hipe surrounding them now-a-days.

And on a completely unrelated note: I can't wait for KotOR 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I think it's probably because there's a trend on the web (ala Nvidia vs ATI) to be super in favour of one and against the other. It doesn't make sense, I agree, with there seem to be some rabid fanboys on the web that think only one of the two can be good.

I'm reserving judgement on both (still haven't got my grubby hands on Doom 3), but I'm definitely looking forward to both.

Ditto on KOTOR 2, I don't think I can actually wait that long.

Cult: I'm really not poking holes in the realism of doom3, your comment is a paradox my friend.

You say im,'A HL fanboy who's poking holes in the reasilm of a game set on Mars during an invasion from hell'.

If i was a HL fanboy i wouldnt be poking holes in the realism of this story because HL is practically the same story. An invasion from Xen. So if your comment was right i would be inadvertantly poking holes in the realism of half-life... which im not.

Niall.

Koneko, its also definetly not the ATI vs nvidia feud thats driving my argument. For starters im an nvidia user, and HL2 is a big ATI backed game.

Doom as far as i could tellbefore ati released their new drivers, was more of an nvidia thing.

Is it so hard to beieve that i actually just dont like the game?

Koneko: Heheh kotor 2, its soo far away. :'( Rome:Total War/HL2 will have to do it for me until then.

No, I mean it's similar to the ATI vs Nvidia battle. Some people decided one was always going to be better than the other, and would take great satisfaction in posting up stats to prove their preferred brand is better, and when the tables turned would throw hissy fits. Hardocp's forums are a prime example.

BTW I'm not saying you're a fanboy, this is just in reply to your post "I dont understand how my liking of HL2 is the reason for my dislike of doom". Some people unfortunately are like that. They're just backing one horse, so to speak.

btw, if you like stategy games try Warhammer dawn of war (open beta at the moment!).

• Advertisement

Oh, i understand what your saying now.

Think i'll have to try out the DoW beta, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Think i'll have to try out the DoW beta, thanks

Where ?

How?

AAAARGH..
    I want it. now.

It's up on Gamespot/Fileplanet (you need to sign up with them first): http://www.fileplanet.com/betacenter/dawnofwar/signup/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If i was such a HL2 fanboy why would i like Farcry?

You do realise you're allowed like more than one game, right? Seriously, all this 'I must keep my viriginity for Half Life 2!!!!!1111' stuff is ridiculous.

I sincerely hope HL2 is excellent, because then it means that's 3 excellent fps's this year, FarCry, Doom III, and Halflife 2. Which is 3 more than you see most years.
    I dont understand how my liking of HL2 is the reason for my dislike of doom... no not even dislike, just dissappointment.

How do you know you're going to like it. You haven't played it yet.

I have played it. Oops, didnt mean to submit that.

What i mean is, I have played the leaked version, and from what i saw its a good game. Good gameplay, good graphics, manipulator is a brilliant feature(its like a substitute for the crowbar being so great in original hl :P). I mean, how many games is there where you can run out of ammo, rip a radiator off the wall and use it as a sheild then launch it at the enemy as he reloads(picking up his gun and continuing on). Or as seen in the E3 movies, drag a ton of debriis infront of a stairway so that the enemy wont follow you... Throw* a grenade under a large skip, causing it to slide off the edge of a building onto an enemy... Shoot the chain thin on a crain causing whatever it carries to plumit down onto an ememy. Hell screw shooting the damn chain, why dont we just get INTO the crain and use the wrecking ball to devestate our enemy(all these are doable in the finished game).

There's alot of original thinking behind hl2, which i think is what doom3 lacks. Doom is great if your only looking for some hallway ass kicking, I was hoping for something a little more and i think... no, i HOPE HL2 can offer that.
    Opinions?

Niall

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Cult: I'm really not poking holes in the realism of doom3, your comment is a paradox my friend.

You say im,'A HL fanboy who's poking holes in the reasilm of a game set on Mars during an invasion from hell'.

If i was a HL fanboy i wouldnt be poking holes in the realism of this story because HL is practically the same story. An invasion from Xen. So if your comment was right i would be inadvertantly poking holes in the realism of half-life... which im not.

Niall.
    Flying heads of fire.... eh? Would the fire not just eventually consume the head? How is it flying? WHY is it flying? Why a head? Why on fire? WTF?

=TEXT FOR TEN CHARACTER LIMIT BUG=

I've seen the HL2 e3 videos were cool, I've played the leaked alpha, which was absolute buggy pants, because it wasn't finished. Scripts were all over the place.

The Doom 3 alpha was the same bad running krud as the HL2 alpha.

Dude, im asking WHY a head, and why is it on fire? im not poking holes.

Its simple... WHY IS THERE A FLYING HEAD IN MY GAME?

I can't find a way to ask my question without making it sound like im joking. Why is this head flying?? Why is it on fire? what is the purpose of the fire? Does the fire have any purpose???

Thats why i said after that "im looking for opinions AND EXPLANATIONS. i wanted an explanation as to why the head was flying, why not just give it legs and a body and make it run/walk? Why not make white dust type stuff come from the back of it tomake it seemlike a spirit? WHY FIRE? Does the head have an engine that when it burns fuel makes it look like its on fire?(im not joking) Seriously, i want explanations other than "Ehh... its from hell, now shut up."

"Would the fire not just eventually consume the head?" is poking holes in the realism, just to let you know.

Its NOT poking holes. I asked a bloody question. Let me put it in simpler terms, If your hair was on full blaze wouldnt the fire eventually spread and burn your entire head? Thats what consume means when speaking in terms of fire.

I just wanted an explanation as to why it wasn't consuming the head.

Niall

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its NOT poking holes. I asked a bloody question. Let me put it in simpler terms, If your hair was on full blaze wouldnt the fire eventually spread and burn your entire head? Thats what consume means when speaking in terms of fire.

I just wanted an explanation as to why it wasn't consuming the head.

Your question is as stupid as watching the superman movie and asking how he can fly without wings, THE ARE DEMONS! simple bloody thing to get into your head, your question was utterly retarted imho

Infact, before any of you reply, perhaps i can devise my own explanation. The head isnt really material (hence it flying through the people) so the fire just stays on the back of the head. Why is it on fire? Who knows... its on fire to look more like a deamon from hell and be a little bit more scary, hows that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Infact, before any of you reply, perhaps i can devise my own explanation. The head isnt really material (hence it flying through the people) so the fire just stays on the back of the head. Why is it on fire? Who knows... its on fire to look more like a deamon from hell and be a little bit more scary, hows that?

I am assuming you are extracting the Urine!? You are just trolling now.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭yorema

ok i was reading the first page then skipped to last page and u lot that wanted to defend the game were still doing the stupid thing of flaming the poster rather than answering his question as to why the game lacks certain things expected in games today

u never answered the question properly u basically said don't question the fact that's unrealistic and ripped from other games and then boasted as the most realistic game.just go along with what the producers say.

as far as flashlights go,special ops forces around the world have flashlight attachments for their guns,y none in this dark game.
    u say it adds weight and throws aim off ok fair nuff,why not give u a builders hat with a flashlight attached,they exist in reallife........oh wait that would make the game realistic now wouldn't it

oh can u set a ghost on fire in games that have ghosts?

no u can't cos they arn't real so they can pass thru humans,walls,etc whereas there's basically ghost heads on fire still passing thru walls yet u idiots call tribesman trolling when really u lot come off as trolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The Half-life 2 beta showed me that the game would be indeed crap if they followed that route. The graphics aren't really that great in it.

This is classic boards.ie

Someone voices their opinion the first poster disagrees and flames therefore every poster afterwards has to fit into the crowd and start more flaming. I'm just voicing opinions and anyone who dares agree with me gets a ****load of abuse from everyone. Guys, its just a forum, this is just 1's and 0's and doom is just a game. Theres no reason to get so bloody offended just because i pointed out some pretty basic mistakes in your beloved game.

Forthermore, i try to make my own explanation because people seem to be too busy flaming me than to actually participate in the discussion and offer a mature response other than "OMgS U SAID A RETArD QUESTION? LOLZ"(paraphrasing). And after making my explanation people think im taking the piss and trolling.

I think some people need to get off their high horses. :rolleyes:

Niall.

yorema wrote:
    oh wait that would make the game realistic now wouldn't it

teehehe

Some people are so hell bent on saying 'OMG GAMEPLAY OVER REALISM' that they seem to be making excuses as to why NOT to have it a teeny bit more realistic.

Niall.

even better tho,

u lot defending the game say the heads r always in the dooms just leave it be!

well isn't it bout time that the creators got original and actually created new monsters to defeat rather than reproduce the same crap over and over?

Doom reminds me of dynasty warriors. A classic little game, but its been done SO many times it gets old, even though the engine is always improving.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

R_Tribesman, care to try answer one or two questions in one reply rather then spamming this thread with reply after reply after reply (you know you can edit also)
    Some people are so hell bent on saying 'OMG GAMEPLAY OVER REALISM' that they seem to be making excuses as to why NOT to have it a teeny bit more realistic.

Fine so you want to be realistic in a game?
    Respawn whats that about, I mean you got shot and you die thats it, if your on level 20 and you die you shouldn't respawn on level 20 again you should begin the whole game again.
    I mean lets be realistic here!
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

What's with Sonic the hedgehog? Why is he blue? How can he run so fast when normally hedgehogs are very slow? How can he talk? Why does he need so many rings? How do the end of level bosses float? How come Sega can't do a decent 3d version of him?

IT'S CRAZY LIKE AN HEDGEHOG ON FIRE!

I think the main problem people have with Doom 3 is because the wait was so long and thus the hype built up and peoples expectations were driven so high that they are dispointed that it hasn't changed their entire lives.

Also Doom 3 is a sequel to Doom 2. Doom 2 mainly involved running around killing demons in the dark with a very simplistic puzzle element and secret rooms. Why people seem to expect immensely complex gameplay like (the original) Deus Ex or the eventually forthcoming Half-life 2 is beyond me.

Apples and oranges tbh.

Me, well I won't be playing Doom3 until I have upgraded my graphics card at the end of the month. I've waited this long, another couple of weeks won't hurt.

amp he doesn't have a prob with flying heads that can pass thru walsl and ppl cos they're ghost-like

he has a prob with ghost-like heads in fire and still passing thru walls.....fire can't do that.....jsut a small thing they could have looked at,i mean y say it's realistic if ppl can just point out unrealistic features such as this.

and also can any1 care to explain why they have attempted to rip off other stuff and claim as they're own?

a guy ripped off a certain website and mades his own and he got slagged at and bitched at for nearly 3 months,but when a big game cmpany does it ur all like 'well does it matter?'

Thanks for your input amp... I understand your point about the heads, and maybe you're right, some things are best left unanswered.

Maybe i was wrong to have my expectations so high about the game.

Niall

• Advertisement

lolz i'm finished with looking to answers y a game that boats realistic features lacks certain realistic features that other games have.

Advertisement