Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brief Doom3 rant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

AB03 wrote:
    Great comments there....

RicardoSmith, go away and shutup until youve played it. Obviously its not going to be for everyone but keep your opinions to yourself until you have first hand experience, all youre doing is getting some people on here, who've prepaid a deposit on the game, very worried thats its crap (which I dont think it is - one bit) and its not even an educated opinion, so shutup til you play it, please?

I'm so sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

jaysus so the backlash begins lol, after 4 years of waiting people either love this game or piss all over it cause its not what they expected.

Lets review the facts shall we, Doom you run around and shoot things, thats what doom always was and always will be, ID arent gonna change a winning formula at this stage in the game, the formula is getting stale but theres nothing more satisfying then shooting the **** out of something.

I personally like the game, it makes a change from a Sam Fisher or a half life 2, where ye can get bogged down and frustrated.

Where as this you just pick up and play.

To everybody who prepaid for this get it, you wont be disappointed, as for the rest how about we give the game a break and let the individual decide for himself whether its good or not

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭R_Tribesman

Some people must find it hard to read or something... I am not compairing resident evil and doom, and im not saying doom is a ripoff to resident evil. What i am saying is that the intro from the res. evil the move was completely copied by Id. Same dialogue, same style (text wise)just about a different company(which coincidently has a very similar name to the resident evil company).

Just because Doom started before resident evil it doesnt give Id the rights over all resident evil content im sure. It just puzzles me how a company can make a game on the cutting edge of technology but can't think of an original intro.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

R_Tribesman.... if you're looking for realism, why don't you go play The Sims? It's very realistic. Although, you might be upset, because time goes a bit faster than real life.... I think there's a magic addon though. Oooops, that's that game out the window as well. These game developers really need to start thinking logically! :rolleyes:

Anyone who has played halflife will understand that it's sequel will be alot better than Doom3. Halflife2 has alot more depth, its alot more story driven rather than mindless killing.

Speaking out of experience, the gameplay is superb, they make the most of the engine where* it matters(realism, AI, even scripted events make me crap my pants "Whooa thats so cool" i found myself saying time out of number). This is judging from a pre-beta, not even pre beta its like a tiny portion of the final game, just imagine what the finished game will be like. I managed to pickup small parts of the plot as i went along. Its a good game for sure.

Niall.

• Advertisement

Loon, thats not even funny. Once we got past the initial flaming we had a nice discussion then your brought meaningless sh*t into the topic. If you wanna try be funny go to the humour board, we're having an 'above 13 year olds only' discussion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Anyone who has played halflife will understand that it's sequel will be alot better than Doom3. Halflife2 has alot more depth, its alot more story driven rather than mindless killing.

Speaking out of experience, the gameplay is superb, they make the most of the engine where* it matters(realism, AI, even scripted events make me crap my pants "Whooa thats so cool" i found myself saying time out of number). This is judging from a pre-beta, not even pre beta its like a tiny portion of the final game, just imagine what the finished game will be like. I managed to pickup small parts of the plot as i went along. Its a good game for sure.

Niall.

Waits for the "HALF LIFE 2 BRIEF RANT" thread sometime around september if thats the actual release date of the game from R_Tribesman

God if your looking for realism dont play computer games, there escapist fantasy thats all

Shin

Loon, thats not even funny. Once we got past the initial flaming we had a nice discussion then your brought meaningless sh*t into the topic. If you wanna try be funny go to the humour board, we're having an 'above 13 year olds only' discussion here.

R_Tribesman good luck. Apparently you can't rant or even post an opposing view point about Doom3 in a thread called Doom3 rant. If you don't like Doom3 you must be (a) stupid and (b) a HL fan boy. But its ok to be offensive and insulting if you like Doom3. Oh and apparently its a game and not real life, so basically the developer can do anything they want regardless if its good or bad, because its a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I enjoy computer games. If I don't I turn them off.

As you said, the bit you played of HL2 wasn't even the full version, only a tiny bit. This doesn't mean that "its a good game for sure". You played a small part, the rest could be ****e.

Take Perfect Dark as an example. Years in development, "sequel" to one of myt favourite games of all time. Loads of guns / features etc... Looked excellent on paper, had a great indepth story line....In the end, I played it for awhile, a couple of good parts but mostly very boring imo.

I'm not saying HL2 will be ****, its just a possibility.
    Haven't played Doom yet btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

...Apparently you can't rant about Doom3 in a thread called Doom3 rant. If you don't like Doom3 you must be (a) stupid and (b) a HL fan boy. But its ok to be offensive and insulting if you like Doom3.

I was just thinking that. The amount of abuse some of you are getting for your "alternative views" has all the hallmarks of people who deep down know that there are at least some truths to what you are criticising about in Doom 3....perhaps it is some form of Cognitive Dissonance

please don't flame me...i'm just making some observations :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

crash_000 wrote:
    now quick question - are there Cyberdemons? :P
    let there be cyberdemons - please let there be cyberdemons.

There are cyber demons.
    http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/enemies.htm
    There is also a video showing of multiplayer and has footage of the cyber-demon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

R_Tribesman good luck. Apparently you can't rant or even post an opposing view point about Doom3 in a thread called Doom3 rant. If you don't like Doom3 you must be (a) stupid and (b) a HL fan boy. But its ok to be offensive and insulting if you like Doom3. Oh and apparently its a game and not real life, so basically the developer can do anything they want regardless if its good or bad, because its a game.

You dont have an opposing view as you have yet to play the game your posting about being a let down and rubbish and this is the reasion people are giving you a hard time.

HL2 could be great (which I hope it will be) or it could be utter muck with a nice gfk engine (unreal2). Untill the finished game is out no one can say for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Some people must find it hard to read or something... I am not compairing resident evil and doom, and im not saying doom is a ripoff to resident evil. What i am saying is that the intro from the res. evil the move was completely copied by Id. Same dialogue, same style (text wise)just about a different company(which coincidently has a very similar name to the resident evil company).

Just because Doom started before resident evil it doesnt give Id the rights over all resident evil content im sure. It just puzzles me how a company can make a game on the cutting edge of technology but can't think of an original intro.

Niall

Doom starts with a drop ship ,dropping off a UAC auditor and the "marine" landing on mars ,one to do an audit the other to fill a vacancy, from then the marine goes to HQ and the auditor to see the scary scientist. The UAC are the original company from the original game with the same corporate logo as before and in game the same big nasty evil company type.

Res evil starts with a guy letting loose a virus in an underground lab?

ummm i see how you the drop ship and trian confused you.
    You do realise that Doom is a remake of the orignal idea with better engine.

And about the rant if i was ranting sensibly about doom ,i would mention the system spec, 60fps cap, and repeated scripts. But not much else wrong with it ,you enter a room you need to get out of it ,theres a monster in there too. Pretty simple idea for a game.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    And about the rant if i was ranting sensibly about doom ,i would mention the system spec, 60fps cap, and repeated scripts. But not much else wrong with it ,you enter a room you need to get out of it ,theres a monster in there too. Pretty simple idea for a game.

I like those scripted seqeunces...I actually wish they were part of the AI....imagine how cool it would be for those imps to crawl along the walls towards you, jumping on you from above as opposed to materilising behind you when you collect some ammo or when some door opens.

p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

I can see how some people would be disappointed in Doom 3, I thought I would be one of those people, however after playing it I cant get get over just how good the gfx are, everything is so real in it, sure the flashlight switching is lame, but the detail is amazing,

I cant wait to see the games that will be made using the doom 3 engine. In the end Doom 3 is very derivative, but its all so terribly well done, its not a patch on HL story but it is genuinely scary at times and beautiful, and thats good enough for me.

Venom wrote:
    You dont have an opposing view as you have yet to play the game your posting about being a let down and rubbish and this is the reasion people are giving you a hard time.

Actually I said I (note the "I") was disapointed by the reviews and the posts I've seen on it thus far. I was hoping there would be more to it than the same gameplay as Doom had 9 years ago or even wolf had before that, and that countless other games have had in the years since. I also said that the lack of lighting is a crutch for poor gameplay. Which I still standby. If the gameplay was amazing you get more than two days gaming out out of it. The lack of lighting obviously creates the atmosphere sure. But I don't see that as enhancing the gameplay. It may enhance your enjoyment of the game at least the first time you play it. But thats a different issue IMO.

Where did I say it was rubbish?

Actually I said I (note the "I") was disapointed by the reviews and the posts I've seen on it thus far. I was hoping there would be more to it than the same gameplay as Doom had 9 years ago or even wolf had before that, and that countless other games have had in the years since. I also said that the lack of lighting is a crutch for poor gameplay. Which I still standby. If the gameplay was amazing you get more than two days gaming out out of it. The lack of lighting obviously creates the atmosphere sure. But I don't see that as enhancing the gameplay. It may enhance your enjoyment of the game at least the first time you play it. But thats a different issue IMO.

Where did I say it was rubbish?

hay play it then post about it, you really have to play it to understand, its not a classic but it good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

This game is great fun. That is all. It is worth buying and playing.

Play it the way it should be played, In the dark, using the flashlight, the sound turned up. It is SCARY.

There are some good criticisms of the game here, like if you avoid picking anything up you dont trigger half of the enemies in the game, making it a stroll. But why would you do that?

This game has made me jump in my seat quite a bit.

Yes, it is scripted, no the AI isnt very good at all (they are zombies and crap like that) and the graphics are good, but not fantastic.

This game is all about the atmosphere, if you dont get immersed in games you play you just wont get it. If like someone further up this thread, you have the gamma turned up to make the game easier, dont bother.
    But if you lock yourself in a dark room, turn up the sound, and play it the way they expect you to play it, it is a blast.

What it isnt IMO is a full evolutionary step in gaming. Maybe a quarter step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

pekelly wrote:
    I like those scripted seqeunces...I actually wish they were part of the AI....imagine how cool it would be for those imps to crawl along the walls towards you, jumping on you from above as opposed to materilising behind you when you collect some ammo or when some door opens.

p

The imps are actually in the room the script just kicks in when you get to a certain point in the room. In the map files you cna see where the imp is just triggering him means you have to go somewere, not a bad thing really every game uses it just they repeat a bit tru the game.

:0

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TheBride

shinzon wrote:
    jaysus so the backlash begins lol, after 4 years of waiting people either love this game or piss all over it cause its not what they expected.

Lets review the facts shall we, Doom you run around and shoot things, thats what doom always was and always will be, ID arent gonna change a winning formula at this stage in the game, the formula is getting stale but theres nothing more satisfying then shooting the **** out of something.

I personally like the game, it makes a change from a Sam Fisher or a half life 2, where ye can get bogged down and frustrated.

Where as this you just pick up and play.

To everybody who prepaid for this get it, you wont be disappointed, as for the rest how about we give the game a break and let the individual decide for himself whether its good or not

Shin

I agree.

I like it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

pekelly wrote:
    I was just thinking that. The amount of abuse some of you are getting for your "alternative views" has all the hallmarks of people who deep down know that there are at least some truths to what you are criticising about in Doom 3....perhaps it is some form of Cognitive Dissonance

please don't flame me...i'm just making some observations :D
    So by your logic, if somebody has views about something that for the most part don't even make sense "Flying heads of fire.... eh? Would the fire not just eventually consume the head? How is it flying? WHY is it flying? Why a head? Why on fire? WTF?"

Other people then become abusive towards this person so it MUST mean they are truths to what the person with views that don't make sense.
    Righhhhttt, I like your logic..

tbh I've played Doom3 and I'm well impressed with it, the darkness really adds to the games atmosphere (ala AVP), but then again I really liked previous Doom games so maybe I have some appreciation for it

its like Bush you either like him or hate him

KdjaC wrote:
    The imps are actually in the room the script just kicks in when you get to a certain point in the room. In the map files you cna see where the imp is just triggering him means you have to go somewere, not a bad thing really every game uses it just they repeat a bit tru the game.

:0

Ahh that makes sense...I suppose i'm just used to clearing out a room and then not having to worry about it (MOH used to piss me off with its respawning bad guys).

I would like to enter a room every now and again in the game with all the bad guys out in the open (besides zombies) and knowing "Oh ****...i don't think i have enough ammo for these ****ers" but perhaps the processing power required would explode my machine!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Nowhere in my post did I insult you. Yet in your above post you've insulted me. Calling me a 13 year old and saying my post was meaningless ****. You've just brought the topic down further once again.

I was serious - if slightly sarcastic - you're looking for realism aren't ye? The SIMS.... all the way.

I mean come on... pfft... Aliens? As if? Plasma rifle? :rolleyes:

I haven't played this game yet, so am not gonna comment on what I may/may not think of it or HL2. I can tell you're a HL2 fanboy though. Ye're full of shíte.

Cabaal wrote:
    So by your logic, if somebody has views about something that for the most part don't even make sense "Flying heads of fire.... eh? Would the fire not just eventually consume the head? How is it flying? WHY is it flying? Why a head? Why on fire? WTF?"

I'll admit that was a pretty stupid ****ing comment!!! :D
    Cabaal wrote:
    Other people then become abusive towards this person so it MUST mean they are truths to what the person with views that don't make sense.
    Righhhhttt, I like your logic..

I'm not saying that is the casewith everyone....just seems that some people are defending this game to the death....no matter what! While others are making (sometimes) justified critisisms and are getting jumped on.

I think it is an ok game but with serious flaws
    Cabaal wrote:
    tbh I've played Doom3 and I'm well impressed with it, the darkness really adds to the games atmosphere (ala AVP), but then again I really liked previous Doom games so maybe I have some appreciation for it

I'm impressed with the graphics (the lighting and shadows are awesome) and the sound and it is a very unnerving game but it is a little bit samey in the middle innit?!! Enter room...nothing there...set off some trigger....monsters appear!!

I was actually just thinking that this engine might be perfect for another AvP game or a mod.....

I haven't played this game yet, so am not gonna comment on what I may/may not think of it or HL2. I can tell you're a HL2 fanboy though. Ye're full of shíte.

I think one of the zombies from doom 3 has escaped and is posting on boards.ie :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

pekelly wrote:
    I was actually just thinking that this engine might be perfect for another AvP game or a mod.....

Agreed, AvP with shadows and lights from Doom3 oh **** I ain't playing that on my own in the house :p
    :D
    Even to remake AvP 1 with doom3 engine would be f*ckin scary if you ask me

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

It would certainly make a fantastic base for an AvP mod :) .

Also, I think I've made my points more than clear in previous posts, I don't intend to further argue this out with,

a) A HL fanboy who's poking holes in the reasilm of a game set on Mars during an invasion from hell,

b) Someone who hasn't even played the game and is just regurgitating reviews.

However, to the people who have played it and were disappointed that it didn't live up to what you expected; tough luck, you really should have read up on what Doom 3 was offering.
    You may as well ask a car dealer for "a car" and be disappointed when you don't get a Ferrari.

Thanks for your input fluffer, atleast you havent gone slagging and flaming etc. You raise good points too, still i would prefer not to ignore the lower points of a game just so that i can enjoy it. I believe a game should be enjoyed naturally.

kdjac, havent you read the first post?
    Union aerospace corperation (Umberella Corperation?)

"Largest company blah blah, manufacturing blah blah, biological experementation blah blah", exact same dialogue as the resident evil movie intro....

If you read the post properly before jumping into your flame boots you would realise im talkin about the section of the game BEFORE the dropship and the section of the movie BEFORE the guy steals the virus.

In resident evil it briefly explains how umberella are the biggest commercial entity, make lots of stuff, and biologically experiment(to put things very simple). It does the exact same thing in Doom3, just changing the dialogue and template of the screen(if that makes sense).

Niall

• Advertisement

Loon: Yes im a HL2 fanboy, infact i can't bloody wait for it. I dont understand how my liking of HL2 is the reason for my dislike of doom... no not even dislike, just dissappointment.

Just because i like one game why would i go bashing at other games? I enjoyed farcry(everything except the fact that it's story was the most unorginal story they could possibly think of and the way it was made out to be on one huge island however it was actually every level on a different island) If i was such a HL2 fanboy why would i like Farcry?

I was looking forward to doom3, and im am now dissappointed. I'm pretty sure dissappointment isnt the emotion that comes from someone who wants to bash a game because he likes a different game.

So, to summarise, whoever is using the "OmG LoLZ U R A HL2 FaNBoY" defense of doom3, could you please sit down and be quiet. :P

Niall

PS. before someone decides to use that to flame me it was a "Joke" aka an attempt at humour(a very bad one at that).

Advertisement