Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brief Doom3 rant

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

yorema wrote:
    amp he doesn't have a prob with flying heads that can pass thru walsl and ppl cos they're ghost-like

he has a prob with ghost-like heads in fire and still passing thru walls.....fire can't do that.....jsut a small thing they could have looked at,i mean y say it's realistic if ppl can just point out unrealistic features such as this.

sigh..
    lads, lads, lads this thread gets more and more retarted
    I think this sums up how stupid the realistic elements are within Doom3
    bizmark wrote:
    Your poking holes in the logic of a game set on mars in the future fighting an invasion from hell ffs.

How about we'll talk about the realism of demons heads on fire passing through walls when we have a Mars base and we get attacked by a evil force from hell, ok?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭R_Tribesman

It think its time to lock this thread. What needs to be said has been said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

jesus, if this thread was a verbal conversation i would have run away by now.

And Its interesting that tribesman wants it locked. Most of the ridiculous childish remarks came from him. Fair enough it was a rant thread, but demanding to know why demons heads were on fire? Wtf do you really expect people to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

There is a ducttape mod out already. It allows you to tape your flashlight to your gun......How's that for realism!!!!!? :D

Look for it at here if you want to ruin your game....

heh, now that would be good but the flashlight doesnt run out :( which would just suck.

• Advertisement

heh, now that would be good but the flashlight doesnt run out :( which would just suck.

Maybe it uses Duracell... :D

i mean it can't be that much of an imagination leap that they have very very very long lasting batteries in the future!!!! ;)

p

lmfao, good point.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

They explained in the game that it uses (i think) static energy to stay in use. Its in development. Same with Kenetic energy. Why wouldnt they have perfected it by then? :)

Tbh a demon on fire is more scary than say a face flyign around. Its also more visually stunning then a spirit u cant see or one that isnt on fire. THATS WHY ITS ON FIRE!!!1

Sheesh, this thread and the replies in it are terrible.

Its a game with imaginary monsters. They need to differenciate the monsters from each other to make it more interesting. Ok? good now lets keep this civilised :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

Doom is realistic, you're forgetting that different Laws of Physics apply on Mars therefore in all probability fire can pass through walls.
    id do alot of research during development, there's no way they'd claim fire can pass through walls on Mars if it couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

amp wrote:
    What's with Sonic the hedgehog? Why is he blue? How can he run so fast when normally hedgehogs are very slow? How can he talk? Why does he need so many rings? How do the end of level bosses float? How come Sega can't do a decent 3d version of him?

IT'S CRAZY LIKE AN HEDGEHOG ON FIRE!

I think the main problem people have with Doom 3 is because the wait was so long and thus the hype built up and peoples expectations were driven so high that they are dispointed that it hasn't changed their entire lives.

Also Doom 3 is a sequel to Doom 2. Doom 2 mainly involved running around killing demons in the dark with a very simplistic puzzle element and secret rooms. Why people seem to expect immensely complex gameplay like (the original) Deus Ex or the eventually forthcoming Half-life 2 is beyond me.

Apples and oranges tbh.

Me, well I won't be playing Doom3 until I have upgraded my graphics card at the end of the month. I've waited this long, another couple of weeks won't hurt.

Exactly.
    Doom3 is pure. If it were over-complicated it wouldn't be Doom.

Spoilt little rugrats.

I'm spending ~€1000 on a new machine (just the tower itself, no periperals) for this game.
    I haven't done that since Half-Life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

SyxPak wrote:
    Exactly.
    Doom3 is pure. If it were over-complicated it wouldn't be Doom.

Spoilt little rugrats.

I'm spending ~€1000 on a new machine (just the tower itself, no periperals) for this game.
    I haven't done that since Half-Life

Expensive for two days gaming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

When you playing later type "editor" into console ...OMFG an SDK inbuilt OMFG!!!!!!!

kdjac

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm sure he will use it for more then Doom 3.

Some people’s obsession with realism in computer games is interesting, but it’s a scary thought that Sega might actually be painting hedgehogs blue, and putting monkeys in balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ricardo your just trolling now tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I completed Half-life in four hours......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

bizmark wrote:
    ricardo your just trolling now tbh

Jeeeeez lighten up.

cabaal, Just saw your post now. One comment, stop talking utter horse****.

I know you were being sarcastic but woud you prefer it if everyone got 1 life and then their game was in permanent spectator mode after that? Stop talkin ****. Thanks!

Thats just like me saying "OMG IF YOU WANT GAMEPLAY WHY ARENT ALL GAMES STILL USING THE ORIGINAL DOOM ENGINE", but im not actually gonna say that because it means ****, its got nothing to do with my original thread, and its basicly just crap talk.

If you havent got anything useful, constructive or mature to say just dont comment at all.

Niall

Cabaal wrote:
    sigh..
    lads, lads, lads this thread gets more and more retarted
    I think this sums up how stupid the realistic elements are within Doom3

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bizmark
    Your poking holes in the logic of a game set on mars in the future fighting an invasion from hell ffs.

How about we'll talk about the realism of demons heads on fire passing through walls when we have a Mars base and we get attacked by a evil force from hell, ok? :rolleyes:

i see nothing wrong with his logic...

realism of demons...

demons = not real

demons + realism = does not compute

the need for total realism + a game with demons = does not compute

OR maybe id Software are demons from hell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

lol @ this thread... some ppl *shakes head*

oh btw im enjoying doom 3

cabaal, Just saw your post now. One comment, stop talking utter horse****.

I know you were being sarcastic but woud you prefer it if everyone got 1 life and then their game was in permanent spectator mode after that? Stop talkin ****. Thanks!

Thats just like me saying "OMG IF YOU WANT GAMEPLAY WHY ARENT ALL GAMES STILL USING THE ORIGINAL DOOM ENGINE", but im not actually gonna say that because it means ****, its got nothing to do with my original thread, and its basicly just crap talk.

If you havent got anything useful, constructive or mature to say just dont comment at all.

Niall

All that is wrong with his post is the same thing that is wrong with your post – not exactly the height of civility. He was on topic, and made the same point as many others here.

If you can't constructively and maturely reply to comments, then don’t.

• Advertisement

monument wrote:
    i see nothing wrong with his logic...

realism of demons...

demons = not real

demons + realism = does not compute

the need for total realism + a game with demons = does not compute

OR maybe id Software are demons from hell?

What do you mean demons dont exist....next you'll be telling me there is no Santa......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Theres already a mod out that allows 32 player servers.

Look at the first release of farcry. It had tremendous problem handelling the engine with large amounts of players. (particularly the vehicles). Maybe Id are waiting, so as not to make the same mistakes. Or maybe not lol.

Or not I'm thinking. Doom3 engine would grind to a halt with 32 players on screen simultaneously. 4 player limit was imposed because that's what is the most comfortable for the engine to handle with no obviously lagging.

There IS actually a mod out that allows 32 players(unofficial of course)... My guess is that it won't actually be used for the full 32 players, just for clanservers and large(16players or so) public servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ok the last boss was simple :(
    but apart from that iv enjoyed the game

There IS actually a mod out that allows 32 players(unofficial of course)... My guess is that it won't actually be used for the full 32 players, just for clanservers and large(16players or so) public servers.

Can you give a link for that? I'll believe when I see it. Doom3 is such a resource hog, it'll grind to a halt with 16 player servers, let alone 32 players!!

Can you give a link for that? I'll believe when I see it. Doom3 is such a resource hog, it'll grind to a halt with 16 player servers, let alone 32 players!!

http://www.gamershell.com/news/14535.html

kdjac

Anyone tried it out, want to comment?

You need a cd key to play online unless you get the private server patch and play it on lan.
    From what i have heard it works just needs mega bandwidth more suited to lan i would imagine.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 FinalWord

I didnt read this whole thread but having played the game suffice to say it is not a fun game, yes the graphics are good but its hard to apprecitae the when ur walking around in the dark all the time and when i say dark i mean DARK, aka u cant see nothin in this boring as hell game, dont buy it for gods sake, i didnt buy it and im still well dissapointed, 4 years developing dark rooms, what the hell were they doin all this time, dont buy it ppl, pm me if u want it, just dont spend good money on crap

• Advertisement

FinalWord wrote:
    I didnt read this whole thread but having played the game suffice to say it is not a fun game, yes the graphics are good but its hard to apprecitae the when ur walking around in the dark all the time and when i say dark i mean DARK, aka u cant see nothin in this boring as hell game, dont buy it for gods sake, i didnt buy it and im still well dissapointed, 4 years developing dark rooms, what the hell were they doin all this time, dont buy it ppl, pm me if u want it, just dont spend good money on crap

I'm not sure you are allowed to say things like that mate....I'd quickly read the charter and then maybe edit your post.

I actually found the game pretty tedious as well until you reach Hell....then it gets a whole lot better from there on in. But, yeah, i found it a bit of a dull game overall....once you figure out that collecting stuff tends to trigger things.

p

Advertisement