Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brief Doom3 rant

Options
  • 05-08-2004 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

*I start the game*

*New game*

Me: Errrr, Resident evil movie ripoff?

Union aerospace corperation (Umberella Corperation?)

"Largest company blah blah, manufacturing blah blah, biological experementation blah blah", exact same dialogue as the resident evil movie intro....

I mean, come on for christ sakes, it even has honeycomb shapes in the backround!!! I just laughed when i saw that. Resident evil uses the honeycomb thing because its about the hive and all that, correct me if im wrong, but what has Doom got to do with a hive? or honeycomb in general for that matter.
    Coincedence? I think not.

On another note how can walking around in pitch black rooms be considered fun or scary? [sarc]That has never ever been done in a game before. Ever.[/sarc] And you can't equip you gun with your flashlight... wouldnt military on such a dark unkown planet, in a dark city have flashlights on their guns? I mean, they do have UNLIMITED budget afterall.

Flying heads of fire.... eh? Would the fire not just eventually consume the head? How is it flying? WHY is it flying? Why a head? Why on fire? WTF?

So, despite my first impressions i continue to play... they send me to a very dangerous part of the base with a pistol(Eh?). I eventually meet a few enemies and after a number of fights i wonder why the zombies guns are more powrful than mine. For some reason my shotgun does affect their aim whatsoever however their shotguns knock my aim WAY off and before i get a chance to recover they have shot me again and again. Lets pretend for a second that they're just stronger than me or something and are able to absorb these shots, then why does their shotgun launches me half way across the room? When i shoot them they just stand there shooting back...

Ok, was it just me or do the zombies only appear when you pickup armor shards? Heres something to do, run through the entire game without picking up a shard, medkit, ammo or PDA and you win.

As you can tell im very unimpressed with the game. Has anyone else noticed any of the above, or can anyone offer an explanation to any of them?

*watches the resident evil movie intro one more time*

Niall.

PS. These are just my opinions lets not start a flame fest :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭R_Tribesman

Ok, in review perhaps its not resident evil that uses honeycomb shapes. I think its metal gear solid 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

it wasn't that brief
    i haven't played the game, but you seem to be whining an awful lot
    as they say, if you don't like the game, don't play it
    though unfortunately now (assuming you bought it) you can't return it if you don't like it, which is another rant altogether

incidently its a computer game, not reality, gameplay is balanced to give challenge/fun rather than boring old realism, besides how real can it be? mars with a load of monsters? (points out unrealism)

demons from hell, well i'd imagine they would be stronger than a marine

enjoy your game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Never played doom then :rolleyes: that’s the way doom has always been the lost souls have always been on fire it just looks cool why does there have to be a logical reason for it ? Your poking holes in the logic of a game set on mars in the future fighting an invasion from hell ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The lighting trick is just a trick to make a dull game interesting. A bad sign if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Having a flashlight on a gun isnt all good, add's wieght to the end of the barrel, makes it harder to aim............ but why are you ranting about the realism of Doom anyway? play the origional if you want uber realism :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Flying heads of fire.... eh? Would the fire not just eventually consume the head? How is it flying? WHY is it flying? Why a head? Why on fire? WTF?

ROFL.

I'll just echo bizmark's response;
    Your poking holes in the logic of a game set on mars in the future fighting an invasion from hell ffs.

bizmark wrote:
    ... Your poking holes in the logic of a game set on mars in the future fighting an invasion from hell ffs.

I don't think the flashlight can be seen as part of the game logic. It a crutch for poor game play.

eyerer wrote:
    but you seem to be whining an awful lot

I never understand why people seem to take some sort of offense to posts like these. Firstly, im not whining, im pointing out the basic problems with a game thats supposed to be the next generation in gaming and frankly doesnt cut it. A game with such cutting edge technology(in the gfx department) lacks even the tuch of realism that makes an enemy twitch when you shoot it. Secondly i dont like it and im not playing it. I turned it off when i realised you could walk through most of the game without encountering an enemy by not picking stuff up.
    eyerer wrote:
    incidently its a computer game, not reality, gameplay is balanced to give challenge/fun rather than boring old realism

I'm always the first to hold gameplay over realism, however ALL games are expected to have a small bit of realism. If not then why aren't cel-shaded games more fun and popular than realistic games?
    eyerer wrote:
    demons from hell, well i'd imagine they would be stronger than a marine

Exactly, they ARE more stronger than marines, however they are posessing a human body so im sure the host would remain the same weight(meaning i should be able to shoot them across the room as they do to me).

It's just a very cliche game is all im saying, everything in it has been done before, its just an average fps as Gamespot put it.

Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

eyerer wrote:
    it wasn't that brief
    i haven't played the game, but you seem to be whining an awful lot
    though unfortunately now (assuming you bought it) you can't return it if you don't like it, which is another rant altogether
    i somehow doubt he bought it, which makes his whining seem all the more petty.

The darkness and flashlight which can not be used with a gun is there to add suspense to the game much like the limited health ammo and saves add suspense to resident evil i would assume

Why are you so hard on the game?

• Advertisement

With regards to pugsley's reply, true that flashlights on guns do ad weight. But even in our modern world special forces or whatever have flashlights on guns and they dont have any problems. This game is in the future, couldnt they work out a better technology for lighter flashlights? (im not trying to trivialise the world its set in, im just making an example of why its bad gameplay+realism). If the torch is too heavy for their guns then why not have it attached to the helmet or enviro suit?

This is a small issue i suppose so its not worth even discussing, its just one of my points.

Niall

[EDIT] Well, im not being hard on the game as such, i havent talked about the games good points, im just focusing on the games bad points because im really dissatisfied. It has the potential to be a stunning game and if some of my first points were addressed before released it would have been so so much better. Perhaps it was rushed toward the end. Halflife2 wasnt rush (lol delays, delays, delays) and thats what will make them worlds apart.

Niall

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

*I start the game*
    <SNIP OF MOANING & BITCHING>

There demons ffs!
    They can do what they want to, next your gona say zombie's are stupid because they have no heart beat yet they still walk around the place...sigh

Stop your bitching and go and play Doom 1 & 2 for awhile and learn what good gameplay is..

hehe cabaal, i accept that they are demons, and now i understand why they fly and how the fire doesnt consume the head, but i still think the flaming heads is some sad attempt at making them a bit scary after a night of smoking the expensive ganj. Couldnt they have made some sort of spirit in a different form that doesnt look so ridiculous?

Niall

Have you even played doom 1 2 and final doom ?

This is getting funny now, i said lets not make this a flamefest. I'm voicing my opinions on the game and im looking for you opinions and explanations(which cabaal kindly offered), why say that im whining? why call me petty?

Can we not just have a discussion?

Niall

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hehe cabaal, i accept that they are demons, and now i understand why they fly and how the fire doesnt consume the head, but i still think the flaming heads is some sad attempt at making them a bit scary after a night of smoking the expensive ganj. Couldnt they have made some sort of spirit in a different form that doesnt look so ridiculous?

Niall
    Ah its Doom 3 ffs
    Its following on from Doom 1 & 2, flying heads are in previous Doom
    I got the history of doom as a word doc here if you wana read it, if that'll stop you moaning about them :)

tbh it seems like you either wana moan, troll or start a flame war here....

I have played 2 and final doom, and im aware of the flaming heads being present in past doom games. ;)

I still think its a bit funny though.

Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭rabid

In the immortal words of Michael Palin in the Life of Brian....

"You Lucky Ba%tard. You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky ba*tard"

I have to wait till next Friday or beyond before I get to rant me whole off....

The game does look amazing and the reviews have largely been very positive....the one thing I'm keeping in the back of my mind is that ID make brilliant game engines that have spawned some amazing games- i.e. HL...etc. and its usually the muliplayer element of their games that caused more of a buzz.......but not in this case....and I think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt....

And finally, how in all that is holy can you even mention Resident Evil in the same thread as D3, christ that game made me want to give myself a melvin....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I don't think the flashlight can be seen as part of the game logic. It a crutch for poor game play.

Hurrah, well spotted! This game sucks monkey balls, bigtime. The scenery doesn't change, the game doesn't change. Doom3 should compel me to complete the game in one sitting. I've played several times now and stopped after an hour each time cos I just got bored.

Look bud you cant be very narrow minded when dealing with games set in the future fighting an invasion from hell the basic plot is impossible so does it REALLY matter theres a few flying heads around ?

• Advertisement

Hurrah, well spotted! This game sucks monkey balls, bigtime. The scenery doesn't change, the game doesn't change. Doom3 should compel me to complete the game in one sitting. I've played several times now and stopped after an hour each time cos I just got bored.
    Many people thought the same of Quake III but look where that ended up at LAN's etc :D

Just learn from my mistake rabid, dont have too high expectations, you might get let down.

Yeh, Resident Evil and Doom3 are completely different games. But i was mainly referring to the Res Evil movie.

And back to doom3, something that they done which i havent saw before in a game i found really good was the way they handled computer screens. You can actually navigate them with the crosshair without ever leaving first person mode. That was sweet.

Niall

The last few ID games have been pants. I don't buy a game to say ooh thats a nice engine, but to play a decent game. The HL AI, well the troppers anyway is a world away from what we've seen in the ID games.

Limited health and saves are very delicate to get right. You can ruin a game very easily by making it too hard or too easy. Not having a flash light is a means of making a game thats too easy and/or too short, harder and longer.

What the odds there'll be a gamma hack as soon as its released.

bizmark wrote:
    Look bud you cant be very narrow minded when dealing with games set in the future fighting an invasion from hell the basic plot is impossible so does it REALLY matter theres a few flying heads around ?

Flying heads I could care less about. They were annoying in Doom 1 & 2 aswell. Some decent AI enemies that make you go "ooh you sneaky git" I prefer to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Cabaal wrote:
    Many people thought the same of Quake III but look where that ended up at LAN's etc :D

True, but with a 4 player limit in doom3 can't see it getting very far. Quake3 and UT2003/04 are pure shooters, I don't think doom3 multi will fit in with this category. Unless you call 4 players wandering around a pitch black room fun! :)

True, but with a 4 player limit in doom3 can't see it getting very far. Quake3 and UT2003/04 are pure shooters, I don't think doom3 multi will fit in with this category. Unless you call 4 players wandering around a pitch black room fun! :)

Quake3 and UT2003/04 were ok on a lan, but there was nothing new about them either. There were guys in our office who played the same quake2 level for about 3 years straight. Now personally I would find that as boring as hell but each to their own.

Very good point ricardo. Key to any good game is AI. In Doom3 the closest thing i saw to good AI was 2 marine zombies just zerging at me and dying.

I THOUGHT for a second that i saw some spectacular AI when there was this alien thing feasting on a corpse suddenly it looking up and jumped at me (i was behind a window in a locked room) and as soon as it hit the glass it ran up the wall in front of me and dissappeared out of sight. I thought this was pretty cool and wondered if it was AI and the alien was searching for a way to find me or if it was just scripted, until i got further on in the level and saw the *exact* same thing.

Niall

They could patch the game down the line to allow more players, anything is possiable tbh :)

Theres already a mod out that allows 32 player servers.

Look at the first release of farcry. It had tremendous problem handelling the engine with large amounts of players. (particularly the vehicles). Maybe Id are waiting, so as not to make the same mistakes. Or maybe not lol.

Niall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The MP that ships with D3 is limited to 4players. Any modder can easily change that.

EDIT: Tribesman beat me to it.

Advertisement