Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brief Doom3 rant

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The last few ID games have been pants. I don't buy a game to say ooh thats a nice engine, but to play a decent game. The HL AI, well the troppers anyway is a world away from what we've seen in the ID games.

Limited health and saves are very delicate to get right. You can ruin a game very easily by making it too hard or too easy. Not having a flash light is a means of making a game thats too easy and/or too short, harder and longer.

What the odds there'll be a gamma hack as soon as its released.
    You've apparently missed the whole point of the game. Congratulations, must have been hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

What the odds there'll be a gamma hack as soon as its released.

Can you not just whack up the gamma in your video card driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

You can change the gamma via the console ingame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah change the gamma, because it being too dark sucks, and it makes the game crap. Making it bright and dayglowy is the best way to play it, then I can sniper mr demon with a pistol from miles away, what fun.

The gameplay is fantastic, I just played for 5 hours straight and it's brilliant. Lighting a crutch for poor gameplay? I'm sorry but what game are you playing? "It's hard to get the balance right.." It's perfect. Play it on Veteran, and it's a hard bastard of a game, and you always survive with just the right amount of health to get you through, but make you panic.

Seriously lads, what the hell are you looking for in a game?

EDIT: Ricardosmith hasn't even played the game according to another post he made. Please shut up now halflife fan boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

you misunderstood, i'm not offended by what you said
    note the smilie at the end of my post :)

but saying HL2 is better, when its not realeased, is just stupid (unless you've played some underground haxxored version?)

some people just expect too much, play the game, if its fun - great, if not - play another
    high expectations only lead to disappointment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

If eye candy and a mindlessly simple game is what floats your boat then enjoy. I was hoping for something better than Spear of Destiny with nice visuals.

Mindlessly simple? Wait till you play it at least.
    Hey I hear theres another 10 WW2 fps's coming out, fun!

Giblet wrote:
    Mindlessly simple? Wait till you play it at least.
    Hey I hear theres another 10 WW2 fps's coming out, fun!

I'm not going to pay €40 based on the reviews I've seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

For Gods sake, this is DOOM 3, and it's only a game.

Perhaps it's been cursed like Alien (3), but compaired to Doom and Doom 2 I'm expecting superior AI, excellent visuals, and lots of sweat. I've not played the game yet, so I stand to be dissappointed, but l'm not going to start splitting hairs and rating it over any other game that compares with the same premise (i.e. simplistic plots).

Richardo, we've been in the same playing environment (ah, Descent), and it's not just about a bunch of mindless software engineers playing the same level of Quake 2 at lunch. I've loved palying Doom, Doom 2, Quake and Quake 2 in mindless and what seems to be endless sessions. We both grew tired of that in Clonskeagh, but that won't stop me from looking forward to the possiblilites of Doom3, regardless of how simplistic the gameplay might be. We have too many other diversions outside of this to let it become such an important part of life...

So, despite the hype, I hope I enjoy playing this as much as I enjoyed Doom, or Doom 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

ricardo you realise you're sitting there going "omfg look at the **** gameplay" without having played it right? mmkay then just wanted to get that straight.

now quick question - are there Cyberdemons? :P
    let there be cyberdemons - please let there be cyberdemons.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to pay €40 based on the reviews I've seen so far.
    If you haven't even played it then kindly remove your cranium from the rectally inverted position it appears to have secured itself in and don't comment.

You actually took it upon yourself to comment with absolutely no experience? You realise now that all of your points are entirely null, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

CuLT wrote:
    You actually took it upon yourself to comment with absolutely no experience? You realise now that all of your points are entirely null, right?

Well loath as i am to get involved....i have played it and i do believe alot of his points are valid! Maybe i'm just disallusioned with traipsing around corridors fighting the same "suprise" enemies but it is a little dull.....

CuLT wrote:
    If you haven't even played it then kindly remove your cranium from the rectally inverted position it appears to have secured itself in and don't comment.

Its a thread titled Doom3 rant, not a rail gun love in. Elighten me what are the new gameplay elements? All the reviews say there aren't any.

Gyck wrote:
    .......I'm expecting superior AI, excellent visuals, and lots of sweat.....I've not played the game yet, so I stand to be dissappointed....

Apparently dire AI, excellent visuals, and yeuck thats really too much detail....

Dissappointed, maybe not. You're a bit of a FPS whore aren't you ;)

BTW you want that Vietcong from me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Hurrah, well spotted! This game sucks monkey balls, bigtime. The scenery doesn't change, the game doesn't change. Doom3 should compel me to complete the game in one sitting. I've played several times now and stopped after an hour each time cos I just got bored.

:rolleyes:

yes i love the games where we have a snow level, a sewer level, an open are where OMG you pick up a sniper rifle, a close quaters level...with lots of shotty ammo... D3 doest so much for the scenery it gives... there are no expectations or insights to whats around the next corner bar traps ammo and demons..which is doom's style

right i posted before that it had a lot of survival horror influence... it can be seen as a plus or a minus depending on your tastes

loving D3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,296 ✭✭✭jmcc

Seems no matter how hard the game developers try to develop the AI of the characters in the games, there is just no beating the Natural Stupidity of the players. :) It is a game. Get over it.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Its pritty crazy though that one guy seems bent on bad mouthing the game with out ever playing it

jmcc wrote:
    Seems no matter how hard the game developers try to develop the AI of the characters in the games, there is just no beating the Natural Stupidity of the players. :) It is a game. Get over it.

Regards...jmcc

Why bother when most gamers won't notice its the same game. New box, add a number make it look nicer, product done. A friend of mine works in a games company in the UK, one of the fastest growing ones, when all many are struggling. What do they do? Make sequels and platform conversions. It what the publishers want to sell because its a sure thing. New games don't get a look in. Heres you all are saying D3 is great. I ask cool whats new in it, and it goes all quiet.

bizmark wrote:
    Its pritty crazy though that one guy seems bent on bad mouthing the game with out ever playing it

Correction its not just one, and personally I'm not bad mouthing it, unless you call expressing my dissappointment with the game based on the reviews and posts I've read, bad mouthing it. In which case I am. Yeah its just a game. I'm dissappointed its not a better one though.

pekelly wrote:
    Well loath as i am to get involved....i have played it and i do believe alot of his points are valid! Maybe i'm just disallusioned with traipsing around corridors fighting the same "suprise" enemies but it is a little dull.....
    Fine pekelly, if you have played the game then you obviously can speak from experience, I'm saying that Ricardosmiths points are just regurgitated second hand opinions.

Also, if you find it dull, maybe you're just too hardk0re :) .

Ricardosmith:
    I don't recall having mentioned anything about new gameplay elements, from what I remember, I just claimed it's been a fúckload of fun, more or less.

Doom 3 delivers what it promised, it didn't claim to revolutionise the way we think about games; it promised to be beautiful, it promised to be Doom, and that is what we got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Agreed cult

The game brings you to hell, what more do you need to know. The whole point of this game, is to bring you into it and try to make you experience what the character is. Sitting through dialogue and funny little gimmicks does not do this. Being completely out of your element, yet stangley compelled to go on is what doom is about, and it does it well!

The athmosphere this game creates has yes to be equalled by any other FPS (besides ss2 :>)

CuLT wrote:
    I don't recall having mentioned anything about new gameplay elements, from what I remember, I just claimed it's been a fúckload of fun, more or less.

Doom 3 delivers what it promised, it didn't claim to revolutionise the way we think about games; it promised to be beautiful, it promised to be Doom, and that is what we got.

Exactly its just the same old Doom but better looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

The last few ID games have been pants. I don't buy a game to say ooh thats a nice engine, but to play a decent game. The HL AI, well the troppers anyway is a world away from what we've seen in the ID games.
    FFS the game is 6 years old already! Let it die!!! And the troopers AI? It was the exact same as the aliens AI, theyd shoot at you...and that was about it!

/spidey senses a HL2 fanboy

Deadwing wrote:
    FFS the game is 6 years old already! Let it die!!! And the troopers AI? It was the exact same as the aliens AI, theyd shoot at you...and that was about it!

/spidey senses a HL2 fanboy

Calm down, you'll burst a pimple or something.

Must have been something worng with your version of HL if all the troopers did was shoot, no movement or anything? Thats seriously screwed. I used HL as an example of the progression in gameplay and technology it was over Doom which is itself 9 years old and people are still happy to play essentially the same game in Doom3. So yeah please let it die. Actually most of HL I didn't like, especially the latter alien levels which were very boring.

Gyck - you buy D3 and then when you've finished it a day or two I'll borrow it! Cheap git I know. I had forgotton about those lan games of Descent 1&2. Miss all those weapons and powerups. Awesome. Pity they screwed Descent 3 badly. Though the single player game wasn't that great. We should get a bunch of 486's together and get it going again! Some retro lan gaming. BTW Gyck I've got DPAINT working again on XP using an app called DOSBox-0.61. Maybe it would also work for some of those old dos games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Resident evil and the whole horror game thing are based on Doom and Descent so to say that Doom rips off Res is kinda shortsighted. ID reinvented the wheel with Doom 3, FPS = Run shoot kill repeat , thats it nothing can be done to really change that Deus Ex tried and it worked but over time the genre has become stale. So ID realised that the original doom remade with the same idea wouldnt work. So they hit upon a plan to scare the unholy **** out of people. Which works rather well, granted you wont replay this game much (maybe if you enable the time screen and do time runs but diff pcs can draw game at diff speeds ,wouldnt be much fun).

Basing an opinion on a game you havent played it like saying Driver 3 is fantastic cos you think it is. I had no intention of getting this game as to me tis an Engine licence and will be whored to all other dev teams to make games , its what ID does. I was very surpised to find it 1, scared the **** out of me , 2 was very playable, 3 and it the best looking engine out atm.

I would recomend this game to anyone who likes FPS it is very good, but with little replay value sadly.

oh and HL2 is crap cos i seen a screenshot :/
    kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

You're a bit of a FPS whore aren't you

Only when it suits... :)
    BTW you want that Vietcong from me?

Yep, and do you want your old tower case back from me? :)

Gyck wrote:
    Only when it suits... :)

Yep, and do you want your old tower case back from me? :)

Doubt it. I'll email yah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

KdjaC wrote:
    Resident evil and the whole horror game thing are based on Doom and Descent so to say that Doom rips off Res is kinda shortsighted. ID reinvented the wheel with Doom 3, FPS = Run shoot kill repeat , thats it nothing can be done to really change that Deus Ex tried and it worked but over time the genre has become stale. So ID realised that the original doom remade with the same idea wouldnt work. So they hit upon a plan to scare the unholy **** out of people. Which works rather well, granted you wont replay this game much (maybe if you enable the time screen and do time runs but diff pcs can draw game at diff speeds ,wouldnt be much fun).

Basing an opinion on a game you havent played it like saying Driver 3 is fantastic cos you think it is. I had no intention of getting this game as to me tis an Engine licence and will be whored to all other dev teams to make games , its what ID does. I was very surpised to find it 1, scared the **** out of me , 2 was very playable, 3 and it the best looking engine out atm.

I would recomend this game to anyone who likes FPS it is very good, but with little replay value sadly.

oh and HL2 is crap cos i seen a screenshot :/
    kdjac

Great comments there....

RicardoSmith, go away and shutup until youve played it. Obviously its not going to be for everyone but keep your opinions to yourself until you have first hand experience, all youre doing is getting some people on here, who've prepaid a deposit on the game, very worried thats its crap (which I dont think it is - one bit) and its not even an educated opinion, so shutup til you play it, please?

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Resident evil and the whole horror game thing are based on Doom and Descent

Descent? Was that a typo?
    KdjaC wrote:
    so to say that Doom rips off Res is kinda shortsighted. ID reinvented the wheel with Doom 3, FPS = Run shoot kill repeat , thats it nothing can be done to really change.....Basing an opinion on a game you havent played it like saying Driver 3 is fantastic cos you think it is. .....I would recomend this game to anyone who likes FPS it is very good, but with little replay value sadly....oh and HL2 is crap cos i seen a screenshot :/
    kdjac

But it was very good looking screenshot :)

Advertisement