Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Mellor wrote: »
    If the wings aren't in buffalo, then they aren't buffalo wings ;)
    a rose by any other name wou......

ah feck it, can't be arsed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ConCoBar

Was in NY and got wings near everyday! Holidays so why not!

They do Buffalo Chicken Burgers - They're VERY healthy too!

If you've flame grill all the better but the chef explained how to make it.

1 Chicken Fillet
    Franks Red Hot Sauce
    Red Onion
    Mixed Salad
    Low Fat Cheese
    Wholegrain Burger Buns
    Blue Cheese Dressing (Home Made)

1) Bake the chicken fillets covered in Franks Red Hot Sauce/Franks Wings Sauce (Wings sauce is better, Supervalu stock it) within a tin foil envelope.

2) Place the slice of low fat cheese on the wholegtain burger bun, and a full slice of red onion on the opposite side.

3) Toast in the grill.

4) Put salad on buns, add chicken fillet and close.

Bonus dressing for the burger!!
    Low Fat Blue Cheese Dressing - In the US you can get it but here it's hard to find. To make your own.

Blue Cheese
    Extra Light Hellman's Mayo
    Low Fat Sour Cream
    Garlic Salt

Mix a ratio of 1:1:1 of the cheese, mayo and cream and add garlic salt. Mix in a blender. Make a great low fat dipping sauce too.

If you love the wings in Hot Sauce you'll love this. I've made it loads of times now. Delicious. 20 mins is all it takes. I always make two for myself!! Why go to the trouble for 1 plus it's REALLY healthy!!

buffalo-chicken-sandwich.jpg

Conorooney wrote: »
    Wings sauce is better
    thanks for the info, but whilst i think that could be a really nice recipe (with a minor alteration), i should point out that those are four words that should never ever be uttered in that order in the same sentence. the wings sauce is absolute gick and should never be eaten by anyone, ever unless the original sauce is totally unavailable.

if you want the taste of franks, but a little milder than the regular hot sauce with a buttery taste to it then get some franks original and add some melted butter to it and there you have proper wings sauce, job done and no artificial butter flavourings in sight. :)

before i could get the original hot sauce and the wings sauce was all that was available to me, i bought a heap of the stuff in case they didn't do well in ireland and i wouldn't be able to get it any more, but then they started selling the original hot sauce and i never looked back and i still have a heap of the wings sauce in the back of one of my cupboards because i just can't stomach it now i know the difference.

i just checked and *officially* it went out of date sometime last year, although with the amount of chemicals and preservatives that must go into making the artificial (and i use the word very loosely) 'buttery' flavourings, i doubt it will ever actually go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wings sauce is regualar Franks mixed with artifical butter.

I'll take franks mixed with actually butter everytime tbh

Mellor wrote: »
    Wings sauce is regualar Franks mixed with artifical butter.

I'll take franks mixed with actually butter everytime tbh
    i really do procrastinate sometimes. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

vibe666 wrote: »
    i just don't think i could go back to using breast meat now in cooking at home, even if i do sometimes have to de-bone my own thighs for a curry or stir fry (as with last night). :)

Now that serious foodieism!
    Butchering and cooking your own legs in a curry!!
    I'm impressed if a little appalled:eek:

Now that serious foodieism!
    Butchering and cooking your own legs in a curry!!
    I'm impressed if a little appalled:eek:
    i've always had nice legs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

i've always had nice legs. :D

Had being the operative word

Had being the operative word
    i'm not a total glutton, i didn't eat them all, i just had a bit of a nibble! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DonnaR335

In dunes stores now you can get franks hot sauce and it is almost the exact same as the elephant and castle ones. Also, a small trick to crispen up your wings is to toss them in flour before deep-frying, makes them much more enjoyable! Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

Had these a couple of weeks ago for the first time. AMAZEWING :D

Just the right amount of spicy without being too hot. Perfect portion size too. When I looked around nearly every table had gotten the wings!

DonnaR335 wrote: »
    In dunes stores now you can get franks hot sauce and it is almost the exact same as the elephant and castle ones. Also, a small trick to crispen up your wings is to toss them in flour before deep-frying, makes them much more enjoyable! Hope this helps :)
    also, darth vader is luke skywalker's dad. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

also, darth vader is luke skywalker's dad. :pac:

Not really fair but it is damn funny!! feckin epic first post too.:D

Not really fair but it is damn funny!! feckin epic first post too.:D
    ah c'mon, this is the 29 page long "Elephant & Castle chicken wings" thread, it's like posting in the motoring forum that cars have wheels and you should put petrol or diesel in them to make them go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

1 Chicken Fillet
    Franks Red Hot Sauce
    Red Onion
    Mixed Salad
    Low Fat Cheese
    Wholegrain Burger Buns

1) Bake the chicken fillets covered in Franks Red Hot Sauce/Franks Wings Sauce (Wings sauce is better, Supervalu stock it) within a tin foil envelope.

2) Place the slice of low fat cheese on the wholegtain burger bun, and a full slice of red onion on the opposite side.

3) Toast in the grill.

Low Fat Blue Cheese Dressing - In the US you can get it but here it's hard to find. To make your own.

Blue Cheese
    Low Fat Sour Cream
    Garlic Salt

Mix a ratio of 1:1:1 of the cheese, mayo and cream and add garlic salt. Mix in a blender. Make a great low fat dipping sauce too.

If you love the wings in Hot Sauce you'll love this. I've made it loads of times now. Delicious. 20 mins is all it takes. I always make two for myself!! Why go to the trouble for 1 plus it's REALLY healthy!!

This looks amazing - going to try it tonight - have chicken fillets in the fridge & like the idea how the tinfoil envelope will keep the flavours in.

Am a franks wings sauce girl by the way - prefer it to the original

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Sooopie wrote: »
    This looks amazing - going to try it tonight - have chicken fillets in the fridge & like the idea how the tinfoil envelope will keep the flavours in.

Heathen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

1 Chicken Fillet
    Franks Red Hot Sauce
    Red Onion
    Mixed Salad
    Low Fat Cheese
    Wholegrain Burger Buns

3) Toast in the grill.

Blue Cheese
    Low Fat Sour Cream
    Garlic Salt

Made this the other night........ Epic burger.....Thank you Conorooney :D

Heathen!

:D

this genuinely baffles me.

you honestly prefer the taste of franks wing sauce (which is just franks original + artificial butterlike flavourings) to using franks original + actual butter? :confused:
    Heathen!
    +1! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

made an absolute disgrace of myself in TRIBECA last night

had my basket plus half the gfs

if i was on death row, it would have to be my last meal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I'm going to be honest, these are the worst chicken wings I've ever eaten.
    Even Eddie Rockets chicken wings are nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I shall do you all a favour and say get to The Venue restaurant in Strandhill, Sligo. Without a doubt the best wings there is!! I would lick the wing sauce of a tramps chin it's that good!! Huge portions too!!

You can thank me all later

WilcoOut wrote: »
    made an absolute disgrace of myself in TRIBECA last night

had my basket plus half the gfs

if i was on death row, it would have to be my last meal!

Good call. The Tribeca wings are pretty amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Good call. The Tribeca wings are pretty amazing

best in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

So I finally got some Elephant and Castle chicken wings yesterday. My verdict was meh. They were kinda tasty but about 6 in I was kinda fed up with them. Sorry everyone on this thread. Maybe I just wasn't in humour of them.

WilcoOut wrote: »
    best in the country!
    only because i haven't opened a restaurant yet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Never had the wings in E&C yet, but tried to nail the buffalo style sauce today and have come close enough judging by the smell of what's now in the oven.

Oil & salt, cook in oven on foil for 20 minutes.

Half tbsp of garlic, same of ginger. 2 good knobs of butter for 8 wings, small squirt of honey, loads of Franks buffalo sauce, more oil and a few chopped chilis. Stir sauce and add to wings for last ten minutes. Am hopeful it will be close enough to the money, should just about be ready to eat by the time the London NFL game starts :cool:

i think you might be over thinking it there a bit there.

the standard ingredients for buffalo wings (a la The Anchor bar in buffalo NY) are: butter & franks original melted in a pan & deep fried (or ovened if you're stuck) chicken wings tossed in the sauce.

this is also pretty much what you'll get served in E&C or anywhere else that does them, give or take a tiny bit of flair in one direction or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Ended up making far too little sauce, and the wings were very dry, lesson learned.

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote: »
    Ended up making far too little sauce, and the wings were very dry, lesson learned.
    i usually use about 1/5 a bottle (of franks original) for every one of the €3 packs of wings i'm cooking, plus a decent lump of butter.

and always get the original rather than the buffalo sauce as the only difference in the buffalo from the original is that it is full of artificial butter flavours and i'd rather just melt my own butter, then at least you know it's made from actual food. :)

if you don't have a fryer, i'd recommend having a read of this article on the best ways to oven bake your wings: http://bit.ly/qjFlyt

Advertisement