Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call Cards

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Check eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=irish+phonecard&_sacat=See-All-Categories to see what prices identical ones are fetching? In general they don't appear particularly valuable as there were so many produced. The big interest in callcards seems to have passed and even up to date catalogues seem to have petered out years ago but I could be wrong.

Here's a relatively recent Irish phonecard website but it's still fairly quiet.

http://www.irishcallcards.net/ :)

Thats my site :) . Its true that Callcards arn't really saught after these days, however I am aware there are more people who have just started out collecting again recently (like myself) so there is some interest in them, especially the private issue cards, trial cards and mint/sealed ones should fetch a few quid.
    Ebay is probably your best guide for prices you may expect to get for cards (however a card that could go one week for €30 may go for <€10 the next) so I wouldn't rely on it too much. There are also people who put cards up at ridiculous prices which will never sell, or if they do its to an inexpierienced buyer.
    you probably won't make much profit on regular mint ones either, I tend to suggest to people for the common mint wrapped ones you'll probably be looking at around:
    10unit~€2
    20unit~€3.50
    50unit~€8
    100unit~€16
    ~ indicating less or more.
    This was the cards face value back in the pounds days, but you'd be lucky to get the euro equivelent for most. I've also noticed ebay has been flooded with many rare private issue cards lately, Eagle Star, Tia Maria pre '96, CAN, Four courts etc so that has made the general price those cards fetch considerably lower. Basically what you get for cards is what customer(s) are willing to pay on ebay, so it is a gamble on what you'll get.
    Also there is no current catalogue with reccomended prices that i'm aware of, its mostly supply and demand that drives the price of them up. There are dealers out there but they'll only snatch up bargains, not risk investing huge sums.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

i have a load of these at home i must get them out have a dig through. on a side note where would i get an album to hold them as i dont want to sell them and want to be able to store them better than in a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭friso59

Have a look in forbidden planet for the trading card sheets (they hold 9). They're a bit big but if you get the individual sleeves aswell(small size I think) they fit in nicely. Should keep your cards plenty safe

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

get the standard size sleeves they fit much better than the small size, the small size just fall out:(

The sleeves I buy for the Callcards are the Ultra Pro "Yu Gi Oh" size for small gaming cards, I'm not sure if loney planet do them, I got them on Ebay along with the pockets.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

i must root mine out i know i have a sealed one thing it was 50unit of when mary robinson was elected president...wonder would it be worth much ?

cmurph wrote: »
    i must root mine out i know i have a sealed one thing it was 50unit of when mary robinson was elected president...wonder would it be worth much ?

What was the design on it? There was one for clintons visit and a EU Presidency (two actually) one, the EC Presidency mint ('90) will fetch a few quid, never came wrapped though so would need a card reader to ensure its mint. The EU Presidency/Clinton one would be around €8-10 mint, possibly less/more. If it is another card than what I described tell us the design/theme of it for more info

Nick

yoyo your bang on! mind you i still think i have a mary robinson one somewhere but i just pulled out the folder and i have a selaled 50unit card celebrating president clintons historic visit to ireland 1995

also i have a sealed 10 unit tia maria card...not sure why i would have kept this one sealed , must have been a fuss about it or something the square on it to read in the phone is in silver and not gold coloured like most cards ?

cmurph wrote: »
    yoyo your bang on! mind you i still think i have a mary robinson one somewhere but i just pulled out the folder and i have a selaled 50unit card celebrating president clintons historic visit to ireland 1995

also i have a sealed 10 unit tia maria card...not sure why i would have kept this one sealed , must have been a fuss about it or something the square on it to read in the phone is in silver and not gold coloured like most cards ?

Yeah I think I've seen the Clinton one mint going for around 8/10 quid on ebay there not so long ago (can't remember), there was never a TE/Eircom Mary robinson callcard made, that's not to say there wasn't one made by another company, Esat, Swiftcall, Switchcom etc.
    The 10 unit Tia Maria cards with the blue bar on top are all low private issue cards. Unfortunately the market has been flooding with mint Tia cards lately, so the value they fetch has considerably lowered, its gone from over a tenner to as low as a euro or 2 now. You can see the print run of all cards on my collectors site btw here in the gallery if it helps. I have most of the Telecom Eireann chip cards up there (excl some trials) and eircom issues. Btw some of the rarer Tia Maria cards came with the Gold gemplus chip, the other one ('94) I think from memory was a silver chip (Schlumberger).
    My advice, keep for another while ;)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Yeah I think I've seen the Clinton one mint going for around 8/10 quid on ebay there not so long ago (can't remember), there was never a TE/Eircom Mary robinson callcard made, that's not to say there wasn't one made by another company, Esat, Swiftcall, Switchcom etc.
    The 10 unit Tia Maria cards with the blue bar on top are all low private issue cards. Unfortunately the market has been flooding with mint Tia cards lately, so the value they fetch has considerably lowered, its gone from over a tenner to as low as a euro or 2 now. You can see the print run of all cards on my collectors site btw here in the gallery if it helps. I have most of the Telecom Eireann chip cards up there (excl some trials) and eircom issues. Btw some of the rarer Tia Maria cards came with the Gold gemplus chip, the other one ('94) I think from memory was a silver chip (Schlumberger).
    My advice, keep for another while ;)

Nick

thanks a million nick :) ahh i guess the kids can cash them in in another 20 yrs then ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 MatthewWC

Has anybody got any of the trial cards? dublin, galway, cork fitce or the imi's?

would be interested in these, even swapping from my own collection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

MatthewWC wrote: »
    would be interested in these, even swapping from my own collection

Actually, swapping is the only thing permitted here on thread. Otherwise, please put a wanted ad on www.adverts.ie and you may link to it here.

Preusse wrote: »
    Actually, swapping is the only thing permitted here on thread. Otherwise, please put a wanted ad on www.adverts.ie and you may link to it here.

THANKS Preusse

http://www.adverts.ie/1524418

Matthew

• Registered Users Posts: 1 angel_gaf

I have loads of rare callcards with the wrappers still on and one is the 70 years in Irish scouting. Does anyone know where I can sell this on??

angel_gaf wrote: »
    I have loads of rare callcards with the wrappers still on and one is the 70 years in Irish scouting. Does anyone know where I can sell this on??

www.adverts.ie is a good place for selling them

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

I'm selling my collection on Adverts now -

lots of mint and rare cards on sale

Mint collection: http://www.adverts.ie/2404528

CALLCARDS - all mint in wrappers

1) Four Courts Dublin ('95) - 5 Units

2) Irish Naval Services ('96) - 50 Units

3) Eagle Star ('94) - 5 Units

4) Callcard Collector's Club ('96) - 20 Units

5) Euro Base ('94) - 10 Units

6) An tOireachtas ('93) - 20 Units

7) Tia Maria A ('95) - 10 Units
    "Make Your Next Call" on rear of card.

8) Tia Maria B ('95) - 10 Units
    "This Calls for More" printed on rear of card.

9) Tia Maria ('93) - 10 Units

10) Tia Maria ('94) - 10 Units

11) Cable & Wireless Communications ('93) - 10 Units

12) C.A.N. ('94) - 5 Units

13) Sligo 750 ('95) - 5 Units

14) Callbox yesteryear ('95) - 5 Units

15) The Concise Irish Callcard Catalogue (Christ Church Cathedral) $1

16) The Big Callcard Challenge Collector's Fair March 1996 £2

17) Galway Trial Card ('89) - 50 Units
    This card did not have a wrapper but it is unused

Used collection
    http://www.adverts.ie/2404668

• Registered Users Posts: 14 isthis1used

Hi all, does anyone have an idea how much a mint dept. of health card could be worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rosscullen

Hi all, does anyone have an idea how much a mint dept. of health card could be worth?

Between about 7 to 15 Euro, depending how badly a collector may want it.

Well over €10 anyways, I would say 17-24€ value. It all depends. Anything less than 12 for it and you'd be robbed, you could get around €10 for the unit value of the card alone from Eircom still I think, and they let you keep the card!

Nick

I bought a mint one of those last april for 7euro mate, collecting has gone quiet lately so if you got offered anything over 10 id take it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mliamo17

Hi

Just wondering anybody know if a Disney Hunchback of Notre Dame call card still in the wraper is worth anything ?
    Thanks

mliamo17 wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering anybody know if a Disney Hunchback of Notre Dame call card still in the wraper is worth anything ?
    Thanks

Not really being honest :( . €1-3 delivered is about all its worth these days, even unused/wrapped. 200, 000 of them were made so are very common cards

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Not really being honest :( . €1-3 delivered is about all its worth these days, even unused/wrapped. 200, 000 of them were made so are very common cards

Nick

Oh really,thought it might have been rare enough,ha ! Have loads of them at home,any ones I should look out for,any that might be worth trying yo sell ?

Liam

Also have alot of foreign cards,some Australian,English,Spanish,Portugese,Turkish,Singapore,French ! Any market for these in ireland ??

Liam

mliamo17 wrote: »
    Oh really,thought it might have been rare enough,ha ! Have loads of them at home,any ones I should look out for,any that might be worth trying yo sell ?

Liam

Hi Liam,

some callcards are certainly valuable, but most are worth very little these days. There are of course exceptions. I wrote an article on my Callcard site (irishcallcards.net) about callcards values nowadays. While it's fairly broad info it can be useful in checking the average value a card is worth. Generally mint or used private issue cards are still quite valuable, the larger denominations mint ie 100 units and also the early trial cards can also fetch a few quid.
    If you post up a list of cards you have here I'll do my best to help you value them. If you want to sell them put up a free as on adverts.ie would be my advice.

Hope this helps

Nick

Advertisement