Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call Cards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thejudge24

i have a large collection of irish call cards from the 90's.also have some english, cypriot, italian and 1 or 2 australian.if anyone has any queries on my collection or would like to take them off me please e-mail me at david.judge1@hotmail.com or phone me on 087-2107075.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Thought collecting callcards was a dead hobby!!
    I've a few up in the attic alright

• Registered Users Posts: 24 scooby the dog

i am looking to buy mint unused telecom eireann phonecards,

if any one has any cards that they want to turn into euro,s please get in touch,, any quantity welcome...icon7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JC_Irl

I have lots of mint telecom eireann and collectors edition cards.

Four Courts
    3M
    Euro-Base
    First Phone Box 1925
    Dolmen at Carrowmore
    CAN Happy Christmas

as well as a few hundred standard mint Telecom cards

Have all the fair cards from the mid 1990s all mint in folders

New Cusack Stand at Croke Park
    Eddie Irvine Jordan Peugeot
    Three Crowns of Munster for the 1995 Cork Fair
    Custom House for the 1995 Dublin Fair
    Saint Patricks Day 1995 1 of 1000
    Guinness BT card from Cork Fair
    Coca-Cola BT Robert Dunlop Northwest 200 Card
    Sligo 750 anniversary Card
    Coca Cola NASA Space Can Card
    The Concise Irish Callcard Catalogue Card
    BT St Manim's Stone Killmainham from Killmainham Fair

Also have assorted oddities I picked up as a kid.

Mint Collection of 1995 Rugby World Cup cards from South Africa representing each pool and one of Nelson Mandela.
    Mint Collection of French Cards depicting french actors and actresses
    Lots of UK cards mint and not, including one from a prison oddly enough...

Baywatch Cards from the UK
    Bond Goldeneye Cards
    And last but not least a collection from the 'Official Manchester United FC Phonecard Collectors Club' each depicting historic moments from the club's history and with a welcome from Sir Alex no less...

If any one is interested in any of these let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 24 scooby the dog

JC_Irl wrote: »
    I have lots of mint telecom eireann and collectors edition cards.

Four Courts
    3M
    Euro-Base
    First Phone Box 1925
    Dolmen at Carrowmore
    CAN Happy Christmas

as well as a few hundred standard mint Telecom cards

Have all the fair cards from the mid 1990s all mint in folders

New Cusack Stand at Croke Park
    Eddie Irvine Jordan Peugeot
    Three Crowns of Munster for the 1995 Cork Fair
    Custom House for the 1995 Dublin Fair
    Saint Patricks Day 1995 1 of 1000
    Guinness BT card from Cork Fair
    Coca-Cola BT Robert Dunlop Northwest 200 Card
    Sligo 750 anniversary Card
    Coca Cola NASA Space Can Card
    The Concise Irish Callcard Catalogue Card
    BT St Manim's Stone Killmainham from Killmainham Fair

Also have assorted oddities I picked up as a kid.

Mint Collection of 1995 Rugby World Cup cards from South Africa representing each pool and one of Nelson Mandela.
    Mint Collection of French Cards depicting french actors and actresses
    Lots of UK cards mint and not, including one from a prison oddly enough...

Baywatch Cards from the UK
    Bond Goldeneye Cards
    And last but not least a collection from the 'Official Manchester United FC Phonecard Collectors Club' each depicting historic moments from the club's history and with a welcome from Sir Alex no less...

If any one is interested in any of these let me know

i am still looking for phonecards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 e_kenny

Hey,
    Ive got a few at home too. Is there anywhere to check how much they are worth??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marin982

I've got around 30-40 callcards mostly from Bosnia and Croatia, few German, Italian, Serbian. If anyone needs them send me an offer on e-mail ;)

Moderator: Email removed.

Also possible to swap them against Irish or other (non-euro) coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

e_kenny wrote: »
    Hey,
    Ive got a few at home too. Is there anywhere to check how much they are worth??

Sadly, Callcards are worth very little these days. Dealers may tell you that they are - until you ask them to buy some from you! Even the rarer, sealed, mint cards have bombed dramatically.

You'd be lucky to get 5 to 10 cents each for used cards in near-mint condition. If they have the slightest flaw or scratch, they're good for grouting tiles or spreading adhesive.

I sold a collection of 2,000 used Irish cards to a dealer in 2001 for his best offer - after alot of haggling - for €75.00!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

dochara wrote: »
    Sadly, Callcards are worth very little these days. Dealers may tell you that they are - until you ask them to buy some from you! Even the rarer, sealed, mint cards have bombed dramatically.

You'd be lucky to get 5 to 10 cents each for used cards in near-mint condition. If they have the slightest flaw or scratch, they're good for grouting tiles or spreading adhesive.

I sold a collection of 2,000 used Irish cards to a dealer in 2001 for his best offer - after alot of haggling - for €75.00!

Woah,

Unless that was 2,000 Niamh From Tir Na nOg cards then that dealer got an amazing deal. It's true that Callcards aren't worth what they used to be, but there are dozens of low issue cards that can still make a good bit of money, even in used condition. If a card was produced in a run of 10,000 or less then you should be able to get at least a couple of euro for it in clean used condition and a good bit more if it's mint. There's still a healthy market for callcards on both ebay and adverts.ie right now. I've seen fairly generic cards sell for 6 or 7 euro in mint condition on ebay recently. And those cards would have been produced in issues or 100,000 or 200,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭friso59

Moderator: Please read the forum charter. Any for sale or wanted ads can be placed on www.adverts.ie and linked to here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Danco wrote: »
    Woah,

Unless that was 2,000 Niamh From Tir Na nOg cards then that dealer got an amazing deal. It's true that Callcards aren't worth what they used to be, but there are dozens of low issue cards that can still make a good bit of money, even in used condition. If a card was produced in a run of 10,000 or less then you should be able to get at least a couple of euro for it in clean used condition and a good bit more if it's mint. There's still a healthy market for callcards on both ebay and adverts.ie right now. I've seen fairly generic cards sell for 6 or 7 euro in mint condition on ebay recently. And those cards would have been produced in issues or 100,000 or 200,000.
    Any ideas on where one could value them? Thanks

Random wrote: »
    Any ideas on where one could value them? Thanks

It's tricky unfortunately. You really need to watch the market for a good while to get an idea of value because it fluctuates quite a bit these days. There hasn't been a catalogue published in years so there are no up to date price guidelines for Callcards anymore. So, like a lot of things, now their value depends on demand. Demand isn't too bad these days from what I've seen the last year or so. But now a lot of people are digging out their old collections to sell so that drives prices down too as there are a lot more cards for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

Smithers wrote: »
    i have at home somewhere a collection of call cards and phone cards,

have about a 100 different irish and 100 various ones from around the world ,

anyone else for a collection?

i used to ransack the local callcard box to swipe the used cards people had disposed of!!:D

my da collects them all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭charlieharper

Hey new member here. Interesting conversation about the callcards. How much would a souvenir pack BT callcard limited to 1,000 sold units be worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tonez

Can any1 tell me what I could sell Limited Edition of Tina Turner, Diana Ross, Garth Brooks and Blink for ??????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tixylix

i have just found my collection!

the only ones i think would be of worth (used) are a disney pocahontus one, Trinity 500yrs, & two BT ones, 40 years of Blue Peter & a WW2 commemorative one.

is it only ebay that i may be able to shift these?

i have the garth brooks, diana ross & george michael ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

tixylix wrote: »
    is it only ebay that i may be able to shift these? ...

Hi, you can also try it on www.adverts.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Emmets4Life

I am a long time call card collector and trader. Currently have approx 3,500 cards in my collection and purchase a large quantity of them every year.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I am a long time call card collector and trader. Currently have approx 3,500 cards in my collection and purchase a large quantity of them every year.

<snip>

Sorry Emmets4Life,

we cannot permit commercial traders on boards at the moment. However, if you are looking for cards in a private collectors capacity please post a wanted ad on www.adverts.ie and you may link to it here.

Best,
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

I found a few eircom call cards (unused in the wrapper) and was trying to find out how much they might be worth.

James Bond Goldeneye - 10 units
    Molly Malone Special Limited Edition - 10 units

I would say if any of them I have are of any worth it might be those two. I also have

Christmas (not sure the year, childs drawing of a phonebox) - 10 units
    Two old men in a pub... - 20 units
    turasoireacht Tourism - 5 units

If there is nobody who knows the worth of these is there a place I can go?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

eightcell wrote: »
    I found a few eircom call cards (unused in the wrapper) and was trying to find out how much they might be worth.

I would say if any of them I have are of any worth it might be those two. I also have

Thanks!

Worth €5 each if your lucky. Sorry!

Thanks!

The Molly Malone card and the Tourism card are the rarest of this lot. The Molly Malone card had a print run of just 7,000 or 8,000 I think, I don't have my catalogue to hand right now. That card was only available at the Big Callcard Challenge Callcard fair that year. You might get 10 - 15 euro for that one on ebay. The tourism card had a print run of 20,000 I think. You don't see it very often either. I'd say you might get a about 8 euro for that one. The other 3 cards had very big print runs, especially the Goldeneye card which isn't actually rare at all. So you're looking at about a 3 euro for those at most, except the men in pub card because that card is popular when it comes up for sale mint so you might get a few more quid for that one. I'd recommend you sell them as a lot somewhere (ebay or adverts.ie) because the Molly Malone and Tourism cards will push up the price of the whole lot whereas you might have trouble selling the other 3 individually. I think you'd probably be looking at 30 euro or so for these cards if you sold them as a lot.

Thanks for that, they are not really worth that much so... I do recall that the Molly Malone one was at least 20 punt when I picked it up and it was only available to members of the call card collectors club when it was still around, based on this I thought it would be worth more! Ah sure I'll keep them for another 20 or 30 years... might be worth something then :P

Thanks for that, they are not really worth that much so... I do recall that the Molly Malone one was at least 20 punt when I picked it up and it was only available to members of the call card collectors club when it was still around, based on this I thought it would be worth more! Ah sure I'll keep them for another 20 or 30 years... might be worth something then :P

Ive sold 200 mint cards on ebay in the past 2 weeks and my molly malone fetched 5 euro. same with tourism. Just not worth as much as people think anymore.

Thats a bit of a pisser alright, sure I never even remembered they where there so no harm going back into storage!
    So is ebay the only current place for trading these? I remember there was a place in town (O'Connell St area) that bought them, its possibly long gone at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Any thoughts on whether any of these are worth anything?

callcards%201%20%28Small%29.jpg

callcards%202%20%28Small%29.jpg

callcards%203%20%28Small%29.jpg

callcards%204%20%28Small%29.jpg

Random wrote: »
    Any thoughts on whether any of these are worth anything?

3m Eu presidency and st patrick should fetch 10-15 euro
    Dolmen at sligo 15-20 euro
    Tia maria maybe 8-12 euro
    Other irish cards 3-5 euro

Ebay prices,

Thats a bit of a pisser alright, sure I never even remembered they where there so no harm going back into storage!
    So is ebay the only current place for trading these? I remember there was a place in town (O'Connell St area) that bought them, its possibly long gone at this stage!

Yeah its gone afaik, the coin stall in georges street arcade will buy them from you but they give a rate or 1 euro per 10units. doesnt matter what card it is.

Yeah its gone afaik, the coin stall in georges street arcade will buy them from you but they give a rate or 1 euro per 10units. doesnt matter what card it is.

Do they pay that for used ones also? From a range of different countries?
    Theres probably a stack of 100 or so of those also!

• Advertisement

Do they pay that for used ones also? From a range of different countries?
    Theres probably a stack of 100 or so of those also!

No i think they are just after the units on them. they have some trick to turn them into money i think. Ebay is your best bet i reckon.

Advertisement