Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call Cards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

on a side note does anyone remember freezing their cards or using clear nail varnish to magically reinvent them and they would never use their units, never worked of course!

I remember when scavaging i found loads of cards with units on them, Tourists used to discard then once they used em

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Are call cards still used in the phone boxes? I would like to start to collect them again, anyone know where to start. Do people still leave them i phone boxes? Is there a website for card collectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Hey All I Collect em too, although it though that finding them in call boxes here in Ireland or when we went on hols was the most staisfying thing, but now mobile fones have killed them a small bit, would anyone like to trade rather than sell? I have a lot from Kuwait left from my collection that I would like to trade, i can send pics before trading! Im looking for Call cards from any country that has some computing Theme on them, or computer companys on them also

Anyone interested in Trading?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

found out from the lad in the Blackrock Market that they are worthless. He offered to take the first one and the special ones for 20c each .Boo Urns

• Advertisement

Grimes wrote:
    found out from the lad in the Blackrock Market that they are worthless. He offered to take the first one and the special ones for 20c each .Boo Urns

Of what type? Kuwait?

Anyone interested in Trading any?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I dont know but if you want ill put you in touch with the girl that has loads. Also I have a tip where you can get loads if you want

Just want someone to trade so i can get rid of some of my duplicates and hopefully help someone else do the same! any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

I remember the days, LOL im saying that and I am only 18. I live in an estate and when I was around 9 or 10 the people around used collect them.Can anyone remember those ones with the cottage on the front, ha they were as common as muck too. I had a few from china aswell which are probably quiete rare in these parts..
    I probably had/have around 100 of 'em. If I was to find them would they be worth anything? If I can remember correctly I had a few rare ones, well it seemed so at the age of 10 anyway LOL..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Does anyone want to trade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'll trade you all of mine for some Euro bank notes ?

Sorry my printer ran out of ink today :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I've got the irish callcard catalogue from a few years ago if anyone wants valuations for these but they are all practically worthless since the fad died about 4-5 yrs ago. A lot of dealers were hit hard as interest died completely practically overnight. It just fizzled out. I feel that it died because people stopped using them in everyday life (mobile phones), unlike stamp and coin collecting. At the height of it Eircom were making serious money from commemorative sets, etc. They were producing new cards continually, almost issuing comemorative sets to commemorate the new issuing of a card. It was an expensive hobby once hooked into it, as one would keep buying each newly issued card/set to keep the collection complete, not unlike those multipart magazines that "build into a complete collection".

@wyndham - I'd be interested in a scan of that catalogue (the one's I used to get were always only 3 or 4 pages long...) if that's possible ?

wyndham whats that catalogue called was it made by telecom/eircom?

Isn't it the 3-monthly one that the "Callcard Collectors Club" sent out ?

there is a callcard collectors club, tell me more please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Razor_01

Hey All, :cool:

First off this is to Voodoo2, The Callcard Collectors Club which was run by Eircom closed in 2003. This is when Callcard collecting stopped in Ireland but some collectors continued on but not for very long after.

I was a major collector of Callcards both Irish and Worldwide and I still have my collection. I went to a number of good traders and dealers who mainly deal in this area and asked about the value of Callcards, the news was not good, the value of callcards depends on how much a collector is willing to pay and the value also depends on a number of conditions about the card but the main thing is, they are not worth very much these days. I have attached a website below that you might find interesting for information.

http://members.tripod.com/~steveon2/index.html

If anyone has any Callcards to trade I would be more than willing to trade with them.

Keep Safe all. :)

Razor

Razor_01 wrote:

If anyone has any Callcards to trade I would be more than willing to trade with them.

Hey Razor id be willing to trade, just want to keep my collection a bit uptodate if your willing to trade, let me know

• Advertisement

Hey Voodoo,

Yes I'd be willing to trade :)

I would need to get some sort of trade list from you and I will compile a list of trades that I have.
    I hope the website was useful for you? This club is closed but the website has remained and hasn't been updated since 2003. :mad:

Hey Voodoo,

Do you have any Irish Callcards for trade or are they all form different countrys?

Has anyone got Irish Callcards they Don't want?

Ill Check Razor 01 in the next few days, just in the middle of studing for Exams so later this week or early next ill have a sort of list made up,

No Worries, and no rush.

Take your time, Best of Luck in your Exams :)

Are you buying callcards too? Or solely trading ?

Hey Ciaranfo,

Can you give me a list of what you have and I may buy your Callcards if you have some I Don`t Have.

Thanks

In terms of "mint" callcards I have ....

units - general description

5 - Irelands first public call box, Dublin 1925
    10 - The Examiner, a conversation piece
    10 - Disneys The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    10 - kitkat
    10 - USA World Cup 1994
    20 - It's time to bite the bar, new Time Out
    10 - Zig and Zag, Yoplait, Keep in Touch
    5 - Dolmen at Carrowmore, Co Sligo
    50 - Presidency of the EU, Ireland 1996
    10 - 3M
    10 - Tia Maria
    10 - Litriocht, literature
    20 - Jervis Shopping Centre
    5 - turasoireacht, tourism
    10 - Christmas
    10 - Seasons Greetings
    10 - Star Trek first contact
    20 - lifestyle sports
    10 - celebrating telecom eireann strategic alliance
    20 - service plus, an post
    10 - xtravision
    20 - communications 97 sponsored by telecom eireann
    50 - la le padraig
    10 - burger king
    20 - elastoplast
    10 - kittensoft
    10 - time for a nescafe
    10 - esson, has the energy
    10 - le tourde drance en irelande
    20 - tall ships race 1998
    20 - bewitched, reach out, be a good neighbour
    10 - design a callcard comp 98

If there's any better way to list them, please let me know ... I can try scanning them if there's any confusion.

Hey Ciaranfo,

Sorry for not replying quicker :mad:

From the list of cards there is only 2 I don't have and these are,
    5 - Dolmen at Carrowmore, Co Sligo
    10 - esson, has the energy
    These must have been released at the end of 2003?
    I'm sorry if I disappoint you but I can't buy these cards just to get 2. Thank you for the offer,

Razor

You don't have to buy them "all" - you can feel free to make an offer for just those two.

Unless I've misunderstood ?

• Advertisement

That would be great, :) I would perfer if you could give a price for the 2 because I don't want to insult you. I would also like to get your location?, I'm in dublin southside,

Thanks again

Advertisement