Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Career : Employment rate and Pay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,501 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

mariaalice wrote: »
    r.

To answer the op political advisor plus it would be a very interesting job.

Special advisers are placed on the Principal Officer scale, which begins at €79,401 and goes up to €91,624.
    Barry Cowan's advisor might take a different view on it being the best job.

When the Minister loses their job, so does the advisor.

salonfire wrote: »
    Whataboutery.

There are graduate teachers who get full-time hours which can lead to CID.

Makes the strike action lead by teachers all the more cynical then, making the issue out of the salary when the actual problems faced by new grads is lack of permanency.

Why is the strikes and threats of strike not related to the lack of permanency then?

I'm confused now, are you calling on teachers to be striking MORE?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Carl D

Eventually you accept graduate teachers don't have it bad. At last!

Teachers: €37000 over 9 months is €4110 per month. More with options to correct exams.

The Engineer: €50000 over 12 months is €4116 per month. Any extra hours will be unpaid.

Dont no any teacher on that much let even after 20 years on the job a principal on 70k a year would be making 3,924 after tax .
    981 a week

Software engineer is only only in his 20s and is already on 50k after tax 3 066 a month , 766
    There salary is going to go up pretty quickly would be on way more then 981 a week in 20 years that's for sure .teacher had to wait 20 years to get that much .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I am a Software Engineer with over 10 years professional experience in .NET technologies. I have spent the majority of them years trying to chase the money. I have hopped around a fair bit doing a mixture permanent and contract jobs. I have never taken a new job without it paying more than the previous one.

Eventually it has caught up with me. The current role involves more stress and confrontation than I would ever care to encounter.

I really enjoy working out how to design systems and debug issues but before you think about Software Engineering do consider the following two points:
    1. Similar to most office jobs you will spend the majority of your working life sat at a desk.
    2. Depending on what companies you join you may get put under pressure by managers\customers who don't understand or care about the complexities of Software Development

Finally no matter what career you think of doing before the money gets in your veins have a little listen to this piece by Alan Watts:

https://youtu.be/fYNShs6I4HU

Just read this and you could be me talking.
    I chased the money in IT for years.
    Its not what it used to be and I find myself burnt out at 40 years of age.
    I used to love what I did. About 10 years ago it seemed to change and I have gone to the other extreme. Hate it.
    I would love a job stacking shelves or something.
    But I have decided if I keep up where I am for another 5 years I could just retire and forget about any kind of working stress after that.
    The money is great but the job satisfaction went away a little while ago.
    If I retired I could actually work picking strawberries somewhere if I felt like it, or just go on a holiday at days notice. So different. ah the thoughts of it.

LilacNails wrote: »
    Be fairly boring and depressing tho....?

And sitting at a desk isnt ? Or having a stressful job like a doctor, I'm just saying for what they do and hoildays they can get . And money side and pension is very good , starting salary 47k would be looking at 80k if not more down the road .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

What bad press? I pointed out grad teachers are on the the same - if not better - monthly salary than a software engineer at Google.

Because I focused in another sector in which I built a career. I have no interest in going back to study further.

Regretfully, when I was 16 I swallowed the teachers propaganda thinking it was terribly paid. Hard to believe otherwise at that age with RTE's Ingrid Miley breathlessly reporting the hooting and hollering going on every Easter at the conferences. Were I that age again and with what I know now, I would have considered teaching.

In another cynical ploy by a union, INTO do not allow public access to the salary scales and allowances of Primary Teachers. Why would this be do you think?

Less of an issue in Primary Level and if that is the case at Second Level, it shows how cynical the unions' ploy is focusing on pay rather than hours.
    Leveraging the part-time hours of new teachers to try justify increased salaries.

A lot of teachers on Boards say this. What they don't suggest is any alternative that offers the same pay and conditions as teachers. Even on a thread discussing the best careers.

The salary scales for teachers are publicly available. Teachers are paid over 12 months not 9.

Below applies to second level, I'm not sure what the story is at primary level.
    Full time/full hours positions take between 3 and 8 years to secure generally (depends on subject/where you are in country/luck/interview skills/employability etc.) can be as short as two years can take much longer.

I took 4 years to get my full time full hours job (after 6 years in college) and am considered very lucky to have done so as my subjects are generally oversubscribed. Before I secured my CID I was subbing and travelling to schools over 3 hours away to get work. I often had to sign on and accept work that didn't cover my travel costs.

You don't undersstand the pay inequality issue if you think it is about part time hours. Newer entrants to teaching are disproportionately affected by two issues, the causualisation of the profession (bits of jobs/low hours) AND the reduced payscale (also the new pension scheme).

Huge benefit of teaching is the mostly family friendly hours as well as the fact that it is a stable income once you get established. You won't be rich but it's a middle of the road income given the qualifications involved.

This is an interesting thread. Why has it become about teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

JimmyVik wrote: »

Because a fair few posters are obsessed with teachers followed by obsessions with the public services.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

because the original post asked what would the best career be in terms of salary, career progression and stress levels.

A teaching career fits nicely into this description for some.

because the original post asked what would the best career be in terms of salary, career progression and stress levels.

A teaching career fits nicely into this description for some.

Fair point. But why does that require the thread turning into teacher bashing?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Astro127

It is quite difficult to be an employee earning over €100k.

True, very few make 100k a year then again after tax you are coming out with only 60k , 5k a month still making a hell of a lot more then most people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Hi you must be new to Ireland. We're a nation of begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

Eventually you accept graduate teachers don't have it bad. At last!

Teachers: €37000 over 9 months is €4110 per month. More with options to correct exams.

The Engineer: €50000 over 12 months is €4116 per month. Any extra hours will be unpaid.

Eventually ? I'm talking about a graduate software engineer, maybe have another look.

Consistently you are showing your ignorance of the teaching profession. I've never met any teacher age 22 starting out on the full whack 4k a month permanent position.

But ya sure, advise that software engineer he'd have been better off going into teaching. He'd look at you crooked and ask what medication you were taking.

Those chips on your shoulder really must go well with the mug of vinegar your drinking.

I chased the money in IT for years............. 40 years of age.............
    But I have decided if I keep up where I am for another 5 years I could just retire and forget about any kind of working stress after that............

The money must be incredible if retiring at 45 is an option, any pension can't be accessed until you are 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

Bitterness

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Treppen wrote: »
    Bitterness

Coupled with dividing rather average salary by 9 months for teachers like they have a choice over this to make it look like they earn 50k at start.

My sister is a teacher, but not in Ireland, subject to the same bull**** of how she only works 9 months.

Her holidays always fall on the most expensive time of the year for holidays, she does spend her own money and time to prepare some work for school. And she definitely has to spent some hours over the summer to do work.

Yet some think she should get seasonal work maybe to be respected by anti-teachers movement. And probably do it for free, since she is being paid by the govwrnment anyway lol.

wonski wrote: »
    Coupled with dividing rather average salary by 9 months for teachers like they have a choice over this to make it look like they earn 50k at start.

My sister is a teacher, but not in Ireland, subject to the same bull**** of how she only works 9 months.

Her holidays always fall on the most expensive time of the year for holidays, she does spend her own money and time to prepare some work for school. And she definitely has to spent some hours over the summer to do work.

Yet some think she should get seasonal work maybe to be respected by anti-teachers movement. And probably do it for free, since she is being paid by the govwrnment anyway lol.

In Greece they used to do a thing with wages where your employer would divide your years salary by 13 and then you get 2 payments in December.

Still 12 months salary but divided into 13 payments.
    Recession happened and the whole world was complaining how the Greeks were getting 13 months salary and demanding that 1 months got taken off them.
    The mob is blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The milieu a person inhabits has a lot to do with a job being stressful that plus being competent or believing themselves competent at the job. It often has nothing to do with the job its self per se.

A job could be stressful to one person and not to another and it is the same job with the same role and responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

It is quite difficult to be an employee earning over €100k.

The majority who earn above this amount are self-employed I'd say. (I'm not saying all self employed earn this much)

I'm not sure that's true. Would be interesting to see some statistical analysis, I could be wrong. It's one hell of a business someone's got if they can pay themselves 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Carl D wrote: »
    Dont no any teacher on that much let even after 20 years .
    The salary scales for teachers are publicly available. Teachers are paid over 12 months not 9.

I'm talking about monthly salary. Teachers are paid for 9 months, spread over 12 months. That's why the summer holidays are not counted as holidays for teachers but because their salary is based on a 9 month year.

Therefore grad teachers are on the same monthly salary as the software engineer.
    Who's bashing teachers? Stating the facts is not bashing anyone.

In a thread about the best paid career, teaching fits that bill; considering the monthly salary they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Ludikrus wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's true. Would be interesting to see some statistical analysis, I could be wrong. It's one hell of a business someone's got if they can pay themselves 100k.

You'd need to be some employee to earn 100k in my book.
    There are plenty of self-employed tradesmen who work hard and bring in 2k profit per week.
    But no electrician is ever going to pay another electrician 100k to work for him.

Opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just read this and you could be me talking.
    I chased the money in IT for years.
    Its not what it used to be and I find myself burnt out at 40 years of age.
    I used to love what I did. About 10 years ago it seemed to change and I have gone to the other extreme. Hate it.
    I would love a job stacking shelves or something.
    But I have decided if I keep up where I am for another 5 years I could just retire and forget about any kind of working stress after that.
    The money is great but the job satisfaction went away a little while ago.
    If I retired I could actually work picking strawberries somewhere if I felt like it, or just go on a holiday at days notice. So different. ah the thoughts of it.

As someone in that age range as well, I now value my time over money. I've found 80k to be the sweet spot, where you don't have any real stress or responsibilities for others and you can dictate your own workflow. Once you go over this, you are looking at having people working under you or you are taking on stressful projects.

There are plenty of self-employed tradesmen who work hard and bring in 2k profit per week.
    But no electrician is ever going to pay another electrician 100k to work for him.

Opinions!

100k a year is 60k after tax , so what jobs are worth being on 100k if it's a very stressful job and working over 50 hours a week ?

True some tradesmen do make a good money if they can get the work when self employed.

Most just prefer working for someone eles and do nixers on the side but prob working 7 days a week finishing work then go and do a nixer your lucky to get one .

Most trades men I know mostly sparkys they are wrecked at the end of the day let alone a week last thing they want to do is more work , most take ages fixing something in there own house. There happy getting 700 a week do the odd nixer .

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Opinions!
    As an employee, yes you'd certainly have to go a fair way up the greasy pole to get that. But 100k salary would be far from uncommon in a lot of companies/industries. For example, in the US multinationals. In the civil service everyone above Principal grade would be on over 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

I'm talking about monthly salary. Teachers are paid for 9 months, spread over 12 months. That's why the summer holidays are not counted as holidays for teachers but because their salary is based on a 9 month year.

Therefore grad teachers are on the same monthly salary as the software engineer.

Who's bashing teachers? Stating the facts is not bashing anyone.

But you're being selective in your "facts". You need to make it explicitly clear that by your calculations a teacher is on the same monthly salary as a software engineer for 9 months of the year but for the remaining three months the teacher has no salary and the software engineer stays at the same level.

I really shouldn't be feeding such a ludicrous argument but if that's the 'logic' you're going to apply at least be clear about how you apply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Carl D wrote: »
    100k a year is 60k after tax , so what jobs are worth being on 100k if it's a very stressful job and working over 50 hours a week ?

True some tradesmen do make a good money if they can get the work when self employed.

Most just prefer working for someone eles and do nixers on the side but prob working 7 days a week finishing work then go and do a nixer your lucky to get one .

Most trades men I know mostly sparkys they are wrecked at the end of the day let alone a week last thing they want to do is more work , most take ages fixing something in there own house. There happy getting 700 a week do the odd nixer .

That's not how our tax system works. It's not 40% tax on the entire 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fish bucket

I'm a lawyer working in the public sector. I'm in my mid 30s and earn 90k which overall isn't bad. The work is mostly pretty interesting and the working environment is for the most part good.

I like the secure employment, not having to suck up to clients and not feeling that everything is always about the bottom line. On the downside, promotional opportunities are very competitive, I'll never make really big money like colleagues in the private/ self-employed sector, and most of the properly prestigious and interesting work is done by the big firms and most in- demand barristers. However I have a young family and I don't want to miss my kids' childhoods by being stuck in the office all night or having to drop everything for a case. My job can be stressful and demanding at times (I've worked during holidays before) but there is also an understanding that people have a private life. Ultimately I value that over cash in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭enricoh

Opinions!

No chance, but a plumber I know has 10 or so lads working for him. Around 5 years ago , his lads were clearing e800 a week for 39 he week and some were getting poached on him. Nice dough I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

It should also be noted that total renumeration for many in the large multinationals will be higher than just the salary alone. In my last position stocks were awarded up to 40% of the value of my yearly salary; and an additional cash bonus was available up to 33% of my salary. Add to that other perks such as paid lunches, free snacks and drinks, dental insurance, health insurance, etc.

• Advertisement

Ludikrus wrote: »
    . In the civil service everyone above Principal grade would be on over 100k.

Which is, for the record, a tiny number of people - probably less than a hundred people out of about 35,000 staff at A/Sec level or higher.

Advertisement