Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Career : Employment rate and Pay

Options

Comments

Top chief wrote: »
    ................ Over 33k payed In tax is the killer 4,724 take home pay a month .
    Top chief wrote: »
    Would probably need to put 1k a month into your own penison for a decent one then paying a mortgage on top of that another 1k or more gone not left with much after that and still have to pay house Bill's, and run a car

€4700 net, €4100 after throwing €1k into a pension, €3100 after the €1k mortgage............ take another €1k out for car loan/PCP, tax, insurance, maintenance and fuel and there's €2100 left for food and bills .......... that's loads ........ adter saving a few hundred/month for a holiday most folk could easily save €1k/month with what's left over unless they are gambling it or putting it up their nose or spending it on handbags etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

why are you talking about a figure nearly nobody gets

FFVII wrote: »
    why are you talking about a figure nearly nobody gets

The topic is " Best Career : Employment rate and Pay" ....... not much point talking about what most folk are on really is there.
    Quite a few folk with experience in various sectors would be on a very decent wedge.......... that's what folk want to talk about in here surely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Astro127

Augeo wrote: »
    €4700 net, €4100 after throwing €1k into a pension, €3100 after the €1k mortgage............ take another €1k out for car loan/PCP, tax, insurance, maintenance and fuel and there's €2100 left for food and bills .......... that's loads ........ adter saving a few hundred/month for a holiday most folk could easily save €1k/month with what's left over unless they are gambling it or putting it up their nose or spending it on handbags etc.

What does everyone think is a good salary if 95% of people are not getting 5k a month ?

I would think anyone on 900 after tax a week not in a stressful job is doing very well , sure theres management jobs on way less and they can be stressful let alone doctors and solicitors.

Astro127 wrote: »

I would think anyone on 900 after tax a week not in a stressful job is doing very well...........

That's €70k gross and paying €500/month into a pension.
    What % of the workforce are on €70k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭Treppen

22 year old graduate starting on €50k !
    That's not bad.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/money-diaries-12-5117489-Jul2020/

Treppen wrote: »
    22 year old graduate starting on €50k !......

A very frugal eater....... Groceries: €120

Good to see someone that age on a decent wedge with their head screwed on, if they've €40k saved up at year end they'll be in a great position really.

That's not bad.

Most diaries on that thing are all software engineers Haha, might have to go back and study that part time .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Most diaries on that thing are all software engineers Haha, might have to go back and study that part time .

yup, but it's really kind of self-selecting. Majority of people who are going to apply to be on these things are going to be the high earners and low outgoings. I honestly think his groceries is a little low (€30) for a young healthy adult and his take-away choices and how he works e.g. skipping lunches to "get more work done" and left over pizza is stereotypical "coder". It sounds like misery to me but still fair play to him for landing that type of money right out of college. When I graduated ~10 years ago ~25k was the norm.

They are making more then a pilot, which is crazy doubt it's that hard to become a software engineer vs a pilot, doctor and solicitor .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

They are making more then a pilot, which is crazy doubt it's that hard to become a software engineer vs a pilot, doctor and solicitor .

Well, of the 4 jobs listed there, the pilot is the only one that can be easily automated. Ironically, by one of the other 3 listed jobs :)
    But which one is it?
    a) doctor
    b) solicitor
    c) software engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

In fairness I wouldn't regard a pilot as being a difficult job or needing too much intelligence. Certainly not up there with a doctor/solicitor/software engineer.

The difficulty in getting trained as a pilot (cost) limits the amount entering the profession and thus hikes up the pay.

I know pilots that wouldn't have got into an Arts degree in University but had access to cash to train as a pilot.

In fairness I wouldn't regard a pilot as being a difficult job or needing too much intelligence. Certainly not up there with a doctor/solicitor/software engineer.

The difficulty in getting trained as a pilot (cost) limits the amount entering the profession and thus hikes up the pay.

I know pilots that wouldn't have got into an Arts degree in University but had access to cash to train as a pilot.

So all I need is loan of 80 to 100k to become a pilot and thr rest is easy? a lot to study and trying not to kill 200 or so passengers onboard.

I do see your point
    I wouldn't want a stressful job like that.
    The money isnt that great at the end of the day and being away from family isnt worth it .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

That's not bad.

Software Engineering does seem to be a job that comes up again and again & is in big demand & forecast to be in even bigger demand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Carl D

Not sure if best career or not but not a hard job to do . Prison Officer dont need a degree or anything more time off then most jobs other then teachers. make up to 1k a week or more if want extra hours .seems like a handy number if dont mind 12 hours shifts and working nights. Good pension aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

That's not bad.

Eventually you accept graduate teachers don't have it bad. At last!

Teachers: €37000 over 9 months is €4110 per month. More with options to correct exams.

The Engineer: €50000 over 12 months is €4116 per month. Any extra hours will be unpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Carl D wrote: »
    Not sure if best career or not but not a hard job to do . Prison Officer dont need a degree or anything more time off then most jobs other then teachers. make up to 1k a week or more if want extra hours .seems like a handy number if dont mind 12 hours shifts and working nights. Good pension aswell

Be fairly boring and depressing tho....?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,592 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

salonfire wrote: »
    Eventually you accept graduate teachers don't have it bad. At last!

Teachers: €37000 over 9 months is €4110 per month. More with options to correct exams.

You know that most teachers will start out on part time roles earning nothing near the figures you mention for a good few years before they have a hope of getting a permanent post.

You know that most teachers will start out on part time roles earning nothing near the figures you mention for a good few years before they have a hope of getting a permanent post.

Whataboutery.

There are graduate teachers who get full-time hours which can lead to CID.

Makes the strike action lead by teachers all the more cynical then, making the issue out of the salary when the actual problems faced by new grads is lack of permanency.

Why is the strikes and threats of strike not related to the lack of permanency then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Whataboutery.

There are graduate teachers who get full-time hours which can lead to CID.

Makes the strike action lead by teachers all the more cynical then, making the issue out of the salary when the actual problems faced by new grads is lack of permanency.

Why is the strikes and threats of strike not related to the lack of permanency then?

The obsession with teachers and the like is borderline peculiar.

To answer the op political advisor plus it would be a very interesting job.

Special advisers are placed on the Principal Officer scale, which begins at €79,401 and goes up to €91,624.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    The obsession with teachers and the like is borderline peculiar.

Thanks!

I'm happy to challenge and correct the narrative of teachers when I can. It's good to have some people act as a counter level to the misinformation propaganda campaign of teachers and unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Thanks!

I'm happy to challenge and correct the narrative of teachers when I can. It's good to have some people act as a counter level to the misinformation propaganda campaign of teachers and unions.

Casualisation of the profession and pay equality have been the top issues pay wise. You not understanding the issues is not the same as misinformation.

mariaalice wrote: »
    To answer the op political advisor plus it would be a very interesting job.

Special advisers are placed on the Principal Officer scale, which begins at €79,401 and goes up to €91,624.

What would a special advisers CV look like before they get the gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Augeo wrote: »
    What would a special advisers CV look like before they get the gig?

Journalists or policy advisors in NGOs and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Frightening and sad really the bad press teachers get in this forum.If the job,conditions etc are all that mighty why not re train for a position?

You might find ,once you are trained that the idea of getting a full time,by that I mean a full timetable quite difficult to come by.

The usual career path is as follows,in year one you may spend the year running around doing a couple of hours subbing in a number of different schools.This is not financially viable but has to be done in order to get teaching experience.This can go on for a number of years if you are willing to stick at it.Mind you the reality is that you will emigrate after 1 or 2 years of this and will get a worthwhile post overseas and with flights paid home twice a year plus paid for furnished accomodation.

On the other hand supposing you stay in Ireland you may pick up a Maternity Leave which will give you 3 months of a full timetable ,after this you have to job search again and perhaps may not get anything for the rest of the year.

Around about year 3 or 4 ,if you are lucky enough,your local ETB will advertise a 3 or 4 hour contract for which you will apply and if you are lucky enough (know the interview panel,brown envelopes etc,and NOT compete against a son or daughter or other relative of the panel),you may find yourself with a spanking new job,3 hours per week for the whole year!!!!!! If they like you ,you may (after interviewing again,(gotta feed the interview panel yearly),) be successful and low and behold after 2 years you now qualify for a CID a contract of indefinite duration,mighty stuff,your own job,3 hours a week,imagine the richess this brings your way.....imagine running down to the Bank asking them for a loan or mortgage and telling them you have a job....3 hours a week!!!,wouldnt they laugh at you and perhaps call the local mental institution as with all due respect this sort of teacher does not exist.....or does it.Most certainly in the ETB world it does.And by the ways when the bank asks you what do you get per month,tell them that after 4 months you had not received any money as they were still processing your details(yet you have been teaching since day1 of your contract)

Now tell me what other profession treats its workers like this.I would NOT encourage any family member to go near teaching as a profession as what I have outlined above is what usually happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭This is it

ethical wrote: »
    Long post.snipped

I know a few primary school teachers amd the above would be unusual rather than the norm based on their experiences.

Don't get me wrong, they had a tough start, and I think teaching in Ireland is incredibly difficult with the financial restraints, lack of class support, etc. and spending money from their own pockets. None though have had it as bad as you describe above.

Around about year 3 or 4 ,if you are lucky enough,your local ETB will advertise a 3 or 4 hour contract for which you will apply and if you are lucky enough (know the interview panel,brown envelopes etc,and...................

.And by the ways when the bank asks you what do you get per month,tell them that after U]I][I]4 months you had not received any money as they were still processing your details[/I][/I[/U(yet you have been teaching since day1 of your contract)

Corruption (bolded piece) and incompetence (underlined) in the public service :eek:

I've heard it claimed on boards.ie that the non frontline staff in the HSE are all hardworking and incredibly good at their roles, maybe all the useless folk are in the Dept of Education?

Frightening and sad really the bad press teachers get in this forum.

What bad press? I pointed out grad teachers are on the the same - if not better - monthly salary than a software engineer at Google.
    If the job,conditions etc are all that mighty why not re train for a position?

Because I focused in another sector in which I built a career. I have no interest in going back to study further.

Regretfully, when I was 16 I swallowed the teachers propaganda thinking it was terribly paid. Hard to believe otherwise at that age with RTE's Ingrid Miley breathlessly reporting the hooting and hollering going on every Easter at the conferences. Were I that age again and with what I know now, I would have considered teaching.

In another cynical ploy by a union, INTO do not allow public access to the salary scales and allowances of Primary Teachers. Why would this be do you think?

You might find ,once you are trained that the idea of getting a full time,by that I mean a full timetable quite difficult to come by.

Less of an issue in Primary Level and if that is the case at Second Level, it shows how cynical the unions' ploy is focusing on pay rather than hours.
    Leveraging the part-time hours of new teachers to try justify increased salaries.

I would NOT encourage any family member to go near teaching as a profession as what I have outlined above is what usually happens!

A lot of teachers on Boards say this. What they don't suggest is any alternative that offers the same pay and conditions as teachers. Even on a thread discussing the best careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Well the best career certainly isn't an Architect. 5 years qualified and get €42,000 on crappy projects that rarely require any imagination. Well I was warned and didn't listen.

Oldest brother is a GP with a good life but for all the studying and pressure it's not that great.

Other brother is a Chartered Valuations Surveyor dealing with Compulsory Purchases Orders. Base wage is/was €70,000ish commission is insane though. €250k a year is a bad year. Works from home most days and never seems under pressure, three day weekend. 7 weeks holidays, phone, laptop, health insurance, pension etc all covered. His fiancee doesn't work, both have cool cars (new S-class and 2 year old 640d, some old powerful weekend cars) really nice house. Gives our parents a good retirement.

He says you need to be either selling hotels, working in investments or doing CPO's to make anything decent as a surveyor as most of the sector pays crap. First two years were meant to be pretty crappy.

A secondary school friend works designing or developing video games. Seems to have a nice life, enjoys his work and money seems good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

It is quite difficult to be an employee earning over €100k.

The majority who earn above this amount are self-employed I'd say. (I'm not saying all self employed earn this much)

Advertisement