Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Career : Employment rate and Pay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Absolutely sweet **** all to do with the topic of this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Pieta house.
    Just the start of a long list. There was some lad in the ISPCC years ago creaming off the top of the change boxes. So sad there is so much corruption. Remember Rehab Lotteries that got paid to go away to make way for the National Lottery (franchised to a Sicilian family business interest at the time, now sold to pay for the children hospital). You cant make this crap up.

Dont forget "Console". Another sham charity by a guy with questionable credentials.

Most of the Vulture funds are registered as charities. 97% of apartment built last year were built by vulture funds.

"Charity" is a great business to be in. Dont forget the National Sweep stakes to build the hospitals? There is a business that sell merchandise to charities in dublin direct. Remember it was on the Apprentice. "Charities" are the modern indulgences of what the church sold in the middle ages. Will someone please point out the difference?

To Paraphrase a great movie, "We are in the Charity business and brother business is a boomin'!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Can we get back to the begrudgery against Guards and Teachers please?

In fairness many wages are between 400 and 600 Euro a week by the time the taxman has been paid.
    A bigger question is are you happy at what you work at?
    What kind of perks or professional knowledge do you gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,639 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just the start of a long list. There was some lad in the ISPCC years ago creaming off the top of the change boxes. So sad there is so much corruption. Remember Rehab Lotteries that got paid to go away to make way for the National Lottery (franchised to a Sicilian family business interest at the time, now sold to pay for the children hospital). You cant make this crap up.

Dont forget "Console". Another sham charity by a guy with questionable credentials.

Most of the Vulture funds are registered as charities. 97% of apartment built last year were built by vulture funds.

"Charity" is a great business to be in. Dont forget the National Sweep stakes to build the hospitals? There is a business that sell merchandise to charities in dublin direct. Remember it was on the Apprentice. "Charities" are the modern indulgences of what the church sold in the middle ages. Will someone please point out the difference?

To Paraphrase a great movie, "We are in the Charity business and brother business is a boomin'!"
    All fascinating stuff, if a little dated - but nothing to do with the choice of 'board member of a charity' as a possible 'best career' given that charity board members cannot be paid by law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

All fascinating stuff, if a little dated - but nothing to do with the choice of 'board member of a charity' as a possible 'best career' given that charity board members cannot be paid by law.
    OOOOOh MODDDDDDDD

Where is stheno gone

Ban hammer needs to smash this lads head in

My boy you are so naive in the ways of the world. You dont think these people donate their expertise and time for the good of their health? Expense account, directors Platinum Visa, training in resorts, annual conferences. Its usually an honorary appointment and consultancy work. The Shenanigans accountant cover up is unreal.

The world is going to own you my son.

My boy you are so naive in the ways of the world. You dont think these people donate their expertise and time for the good of their health? Expense account, directors Platinum Visa, training in resorts, annual conferences. Its usually an honorary appointment and consultancy work. The Shenanigans accountant cover up is unreal.

The world is going to own you my son.

Well, yeah, in the charities that I've been directly involved in, people absolutely do donate their expertise and time, for no return, and usually for a whole pile of hassle too. Don't just the world by your standards.

Are you really that impressed with ' the annual conference'? I've done those conferences - usually fairly hard work, with a couple of days of presentations, and maybe a nice dinner with a glass of wine in the evening. It's not exactly coke n hookers stuff in my experience.

But again, if you know that this is going on, please give specifics. If you don't know, maybe you should just keep your imagination to yourself.

Well, yeah, in the charities that I've been directly involved in, people absolutely do donate their expertise and time, for no return, and usually for a whole pile of hassle too. Don't just the world by your standards.

Are you really that impressed with ' the annual conference'? I've done those conferences - usually fairly hard work, with a couple of days of presentations, and maybe a nice dinner with a glass of wine in the evening. It's not exactly coke n hookers stuff in my experience.

But again, if you know that this is going on, please give specifics. If you don't know, maybe you should just keep your imagination to yourself.

Who were you at the conference? I am talking about the executive and non executive (oh its a thing!!), how big was this charity you were working for? Have a look at all the fake charities going around. I am not saying there arent genuine one but ..... there are a load of dubious ones. The staff officers and privates never eat at the same table.

There are levels in society, there are doors you may not go through. You know why Angela Kerins at Rehab got off light? She could have ratted on what the others were at. Its the same thing at the Unions with massive strike funds with no accountability.

Who were you at the conference? I am talking about the executive and non executive (oh its a thing!!), how big was this charity you were working for? Have a look at all the fake charities going around. I am not saying there arent genuine one but ..... there are a load of dubious ones. The staff officers and privates never eat at the same table.

There are levels in society, there are doors you may not go through. You know why Angela Kerins at Rehab got off light? She could have ratted on what the others were at. Its the same thing at the Unions with massive strike funds with no accountability.
    Which charities are fake charities?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Would be great if the mods could step in and extract this sh*tehawk from this thread

Which charities are fake charities?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/vulture-funds-using-charities-to-avoid-paying-tax-says-donnelly-1.2722370#:~:text=Mr%20Donnelly%20said%20Mars%20Capital,Barnardos%20and%20Temple%20Street%20hospital.

Mars Capital are registered as a charity. I am sure there are others. Be great if you could respond to my previous thread? Purdy please? Let me guess, they had you running around photocopying and setting up seats and gave you a luncheon voucher? They gave you a clap on the back monday and big ole silver star on your copy book. I had my mother telling me about all the benefits of Jobsbridge, giving grat experience to young people.

There are a few charity shops donating to charity after "expenses". Once again creative accounting.

I love the term "charity" its so flexible. I mean you give a few Euros and you have almost the same get out clause as a MNC using Ireland as a tax haven.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/vulture-funds-using-charities-to-avoid-paying-tax-says-donnelly-1.2722370#:~:text=Mr%20Donnelly%20said%20Mars%20Capital,Barnardos%20and%20Temple%20Street%20hospital.

Mars Capital are registered as a charity. I am sure there are others. Be great if you could respond to my previous thread? Purdy please? Let me guess, they had you running around photocopying and setting up seats and gave you a luncheon voucher? They gave you a clap on the back monday and big ole silver star on your copy book. I had my mother telling me about all the benefits of Jobsbridge, giving grat experience to young people.

There are a few charity shops donating to charity after "expenses". Once again creative accounting.

I love the term "charity" its so flexible. I mean you give a few Euros and you have almost the same get out clause as a MNC using Ireland as a tax haven.

You're a few years out of date. Mars / Matheson haven't had charity status for quite some time.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/regulator-rejects-claim-matheson-charities-financial-services-ancillary-1.3064287?mode=amp

But if you do know about any fake charities, please let us know, and more importantly, please let the Charity Regulator know.

As regards the Annual Conference, I was a paid attendee, so no, there was no photocopying or luncheon vouchers involved. There was two days of presentations, a bit of networking, a 'function room' dinner in the hotel. Not exactly an exotic junket for anyone involved.

But again, if you know of any specifics of charities who are abusing these functions, please do share details and report them to the Charity Regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

FFVII wrote: »
    OOOOOh MODDDDDDDD

Where is stheno gone

Ban hammer needs to smash this lads head in

Who died and made you king?

Andrewrenko was just calling this guy's attempt to drag the thread off topic.

Now can we get back to the public service bashing pleeeeease

You're a few years out of date. Mars / Matheson haven't had charity status for quite some time.

But again, if you know of any specifics of charities who are abusing these functions, please do share details and report them to the Charity Regulator.

You think money just vanishes?You think these people just give up? Money comes and resurfaces as something else. They reorganise the names of directors. They change the name of the company. Hey presto its new company with a charity function.

Is that yourself Adam Harris?

You think money just vanishes?You think these people just give up? Money comes and resurfaces as something else. They reorganise the names of directors. They change the name of the company. Hey presto its new company with a charity function.

Is that yourself Adam Harris?

You tell me. You're the expert in all this apparently.

In this particular case, it seems that they distributed funds to charities and shut it down, probably as a result of the bad publicity.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/matheson-s-former-children-s-charity-distributes-2-4m-1.3303410

If you're aware of other fake charities, please spill.

Though in the context of the flawed suggestion above that 'board member of a chariity is the best career option, it doesn't really add much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Time to unfollow this thread.

In this particular case, it seems that they distributed funds to charities and shut it down, probably as a result of the bad publicity.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/matheson-s-former-children-s-charity-distributes-2-4m-1.3303410

If you're aware of other fake charities, please spill.

Though in the context of the flawed suggestion above that 'board member of a chariity is the best career option, it doesn't really add much.

Creative accountancy. Before you wind down, you have to sort out pensions. Pay compensation for closing contracts, get accountants and lawyers to wind down the company, disposal of assets...... and then what is left we give to charity.

You think accountants, lawyers and finance professionals with all that experience just go home and give up? They came up through tough professions and have hard noses. They are a different profession and have necks like a jockeys bollocks. They look at that at their next interview as I got away with it for that long with no penalty, imagine what I could do next time.

When was the last time you heard of someone being fired? Every day. When was the last time you heard of an accountant or lawyer being struck off? Once in a blue moon, only when they are involved in a major public scandal or offend a real institution like the bank or the tax man.

Creative accountancy. Before you wind down, you have to sort out pensions. Pay compensation for closing contracts, get accountants and lawyers to wind down the company, disposal of assets...... and then what is left we give to charity.

You think accountants, lawyers and finance professionals with all that experience just go home and give up? They came up through tough professions and have hard noses. They are a different profession and have necks like a jockeys bollocks. They look at that at their next interview as I got away with it for that long with no penalty, imagine what I could do next time.

When was the last time you heard of someone being fired? Every day. When was the last time you heard of an accountant or lawyer being struck off? Once in a blue moon, only when they are involved in a major public scandal or offend a real institution like the bank or the tax man.

So you don't know of any fake charities then. That's what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Back on thread

Traditional high points courses such as Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Vet Med still attract high quality applicants, but do these courses lead to the really big bucks anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Back on thread

Traditional high points courses such as Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Vet Med still attract high quality applicants, but do these courses lead to the really big bucks anymore?
    Andy said no way back near the beginning of thread so it must be a no

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Back on thread

Medicine isn't what it used to be, it will/should make you six figures but it's bloody hard work and it definitely isn't for everyone. Then there's huge variation in the specialty you go into. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned dermatology, there's definitely crazy money in private practice but if it was easy everyone would do it.

Pharmacy is another, an experienced pharmacist can make 80-90k.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Top chief

Medicine isn't what it used to be, it will/should make you six figures but it's bloody hard work and it definitely isn't for everyone. Then there's huge variation in the specialty you go into. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned dermatology, there's definitely crazy money in private practice but if it was easy everyone would do it.

Pharmacy is another, an experienced pharmacist can make 80-90k.

Pharmacy is a good career isn't easy, alot to study around 5 years in college. Then to get up to 80 - 90k would probably take a good while . Over 33k payed In tax is the killer 4,724 take home pay a month .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Top chief wrote: »
    Pharmacy is a good career isn't easy, alot to study around 5 years in college. Then to get up to 80 - 90k would probably take a good while . Over 33k payed In tax is the killer 4,724 take home pay a month .

I didn't say it was easy. You can certainly be on 80-90k with about 10 years experience (maybe less?) so your early 30s if you do it in college as normal. The other thing is I generally don't think there are many perks i.e. pension contributions if you work for a smaller place anyway.

And tax is tax, not much you can do about it. Taking home nearly 5k a month isn't too shabby.

On 90k salaries there's plenty scope to fund your own pension & avail of the tax relief :)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Anything that is green and climate change related. In the short to medium term, there is going to be a retrofitting of houses industry over the course of the next 10-15 years. We are slowly moving to modular housing and I believe the level of modular against traditional construction will increase year on year and at some point in the next 20 years, could even be sooner, modular will out number traditional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Top chief

Augeo wrote: »
    On 90k salaries there's plenty scope to fund your own pension & avail of the tax relief :)

Would probably need to put 1k a month into your own penison for a decent one then paying a mortgage on top of that another 1k or more gone not left with much after that and still have to pay house Bill's, and run a car

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Astro127

Taking home nearly 5k a month isn't too shabby.[/quote]

Not to shabby is right.
    If your taking home 5k a month you are definitely doing well I would say 90% of people in Ireland are not taking home 5k a month . Can live a comfortable life .

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Astro127 wrote: »
    Taking home nearly 5k a month isn't too shabby.

Not to shabby is right.
    If your taking home 5k a month you are definitely doing well I would say 90% of people in Ireland are not taking home 5k a month . Can live a comfortable life .[/QUOTE]

I would say 95% of people in Ireland if not more, are not taking home more than 5k a month. Nor should they be, given the size of the cake. The president of Spain only earns 72 thousand Per Year, before tax. As a country we give bigger salaries to people year in year out for doing much less, with less responsibility. We even give some people six figure pensions out of the public purse, no wonder taxes are so high.

• Advertisement

Top chief wrote: »
    Would probably need to put 1k a month into your own penison for a decent one then paying a mortgage on top of that another 1k or more gone not left with much after that and still have to pay house Bill's, and run a car

1k/month into pension is 600/month less take home pay.
    On 90k that shouldn't be a struggle at all.

Advertisement