Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-07-2018, 10:45   #1
Seve OB

Drought....Hosepipe Ban.... next they'll be calling for Water meters

Wait till you hear them scream and shout when we run out of water. You know.. the ones who gave out about the water meters in the first place. They will be giving out that everyone is using to much water.

The only true way to make people limit the amount of water they use is to meter them and make them pay for what they use. I know we have leaks to fix and all, but really to conserve water properly, not only do leaks need to be fixed but peoples habits need to be changed.

I don't care about running the tap when I brush my teeth, or taking extra long showers or conserving water.

But meter my usage and my habits will change overnight.
Advertisement
06-07-2018, 10:46   #2
theyoungchap

The only time we had a drop in water consumption was in October a couple of years ago when people thought they were going to be metered.
100% agree with you.
06-07-2018, 10:57   #4
RandomName2

A band aid over a gaping wound.

Meters don't make it rain more, or make the reservoirs bigger, or reduce the population of Dublin.

Even if there were meters in place it would only give a couple more weeks reprive before a hose-pipe ban got put in place. The drought isn't caused by a lack of metering. It's not even caused by the leaks in all the pipes. It due to the lack of rain.

Infrastructural investment, in the form of more numerous reservoirs, and replaced piping systems is important. Hopefully we might see it happen at some point. Nothing's stopping the government from investing in it.

We did invest a billion euro in Irish Water though. That's been really useful.
06-07-2018, 11:01   #5
Hitman3000

They have water meters in much of the UK and pay charges yet frequent hose pipe bans.....
Advertisement
06-07-2018, 11:02   #6
Hitman3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve OB
I don't care about running the tap when I brush my teeth, or taking extra long showers or conserving water.

You need to face a financial penalty to make you conserve water?
06-07-2018, 11:03   #7
Sabre0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve OB View Post

You monster

(2) thanks from:
06-07-2018, 11:06   #8
wexie

.....While I absolutely agree with some of the things said here, I can't help but wonder would we actually 'need'* to conserve water if the infrastructure wasn't such a heap?

(I mean from a 'danger of running out point of view' I agree it makes sense from an environmental point of view regardless)
06-07-2018, 11:13   #9
Wanderer78

Vartry reservoir levels didn't look too bad during the week, looks like this could be mainly a supply problem, no harm in preserving though, as it looks like very little rain for some time.

Water protests were understandable, as they were more a reaction to austerity than anything
Advertisement
06-07-2018, 11:16   #10
keith_sixteen

Quote:

It really is staggering the amount of people who go through life with this attitude. How about conserving water not because "nobody makes me pay for it" but because you are a grown up and can decide to act like one all by yourself?
06-07-2018, 11:17   #11
Zebra3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Bellend View Post
Yeah. It's about time we grew up and paid for our water.
We already do. Not sure why people don’t understand that.

Do you think it magically turns up for free in our houses?
06-07-2018, 11:17   #12
Benteke

Definition of stupidity is to pay for your water twice, So they can fcuk off
06-07-2018, 11:18   #13
wexie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
Vartry reservoir levels didn't look too bad during the week, looks like this could be mainly a supply problem, no harm in preserving though, as it looks like very little rain for some time.
Thing is though, if 50% really does leak out between the reservoir and the consumer you need to look at the reservoir like it has half of what you saw.

What would it look like then?
(3) thanks from:
06-07-2018, 11:18   #14
goz83

Quote:
Wait till you hear them scream and shout when we run out of water. You know.. the ones who gave out about the water meters in the first place. They will be giving out that everyone is using to much water.

The only true way to make people limit the amount of water they use is to meter them and make them pay for what they use. I know we have leaks to fix and all, but really to conserve water properly, not only do leaks need to be fixed but peoples habits need to be changed.

You whinge about people whinging and then say that you won't bother conserving water until you are charged for it? That's a very irresponsible attitude.

I don't agree with additional water charges for a number of reasons, but we won't have that discussion here. What I will say is that I am very conscious of our water use and encourage my kids to be the same. Water is not left on when teeth are brushed, or hands are washed. Showers are kept short and baths are not brimming.

I have a pond. When evacuating the filters (fortnightly in the summer), it uses about 600 litres of water. But that water is used to irrigate our plants and vegetables.....some of which we had for dinner yesterday.

What we primarily need is a change of attitude. Sadly I have to agree that most people won't change their attitude until they are charged for water. The biggest abusers still won't pay, or will be given grants, so it will be mostly average and responsible users who will be left to pay the bill.

We also really need the pipes fixed. The real reason IW are lowering water pressure at night has nothing to do with consumer use. The higher the pressure, the more leakage we have. IW cost a billion....that would have fixed a lot of pipes!
06-07-2018, 11:19   #15
DrumSteve

I don't think most people have a problem paying for it.

However, the way it was set up and the strong possibility it would be sold off put paid to that.

Imagine how many leaks we could have fixed with the money used to set up IW in the first place?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion