Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought....Hosepipe Ban.... next they'll be calling for Water meters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

jooksavage wrote: »
    Yeah we do. Our water comes from one of the better run group schemes. They've been flat out the last few years doing proactive maintenance, installing new pumping facilities etc. In spite of this, theres big concerns about supply in the coming days.

I meant the cities really, ie. where IW supplies.

(do IW do group schemes?)

We have our own well and are very conscious of the dropping water table :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Paid for through the various forms of taxation that the state raises.

No idea about rural areas. Don't live in the middle of nowhere.

What else does one get for that? Free medical care maybe? A house? Food? I must be missing out on a lot of free stuff as I pay an awful lot of ‘various forms of taxation’ too....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

"Water is a fundamental right" ... :rolleyes:

Tell that to people living in the Sudan, or Namibia ...

Not starving is another fundamental right but that doesnt translate into free food for everyone in the country regardless of their ability to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

omega man wrote:
    Then why must many rural communities pay for water access if they already pay? I hear this a lot but I don’t get it.....

If people choose to live away from the services provided by the state what do they expect? Although group schemes and private well owners avail of grants. Of course the option is to sell their homes loose out on the relative peace /quiet and much lower Property tax and move to an urban setting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

This hose pipe nation wide ban is a joke.

There's lakes in Clare which are 80ft deep in places and people are getting their water pumped from there.

There's deep wells which would fire water 100 foot into the sky....but we're banned from the hose pipe....

Ban it in Dublin, ban it everywhere else.....

How can the river Shannon sustain Dublin's needs if it can't supply the Midlands ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I was completely against Irish Water and trotted out the same old spiel that I already pay for my water and why should I pay it twice.
    But after educating myself on the costs of treating the water etc, plus the fact that our pipe infrastructure is practically crumbling around us and that for the past 40-50 years councils have been neglecting to maintain or invest in the infrastructure its obvious we need a separate entity to look after water.
    However it should not be a private company, it should be enshrined in law that the body set up for this can never be privatised and that water should be metered and paid for.
    All money raised by this state body should be reinvested into the infrastructure to bring it upto more modern standards and future proof it as much as possible.
    We cannot complain about water standards in this country when we refuse to pay for it as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

omega man wrote: »
    What else does one get for that? Free medical care maybe? A house? Food? I must be missing out on a lot of free stuff as I pay an awful lot of ‘various forms of taxation’ too....!

You seem to have lost the plot.

Because water is supplied to houses through general taxation you want free food? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

Blazer wrote: »
    I was completely against Irish Water and trotted out the same old spiel that I already pay for my water and why should I pay it twice.
    But after educating myself on the costs of treating the water etc, plus the fact that our pipe infrastructure is practically crumbling around us and that for the past 40-50 years councils have been neglecting to maintain or invest in the infrastructure its obvious we need a separate entity to look after water.
    However it should not be a private company, it should be enshrined in law that the body set up for this can never be privatised and that water should be metered and paid for.
    All money raised by this state body should be reinvested into the infrastructure to bring it upto more modern standards and future proof it as much as possible.
    We cannot complain about water standards in this country when we refuse to pay for it as a whole.

Denis O'Brien loves people like you

This 100%. There are bigger things at stake here than rhetorical arguments about universal rights to this or that. The water situation in this country needs to be addressed and the money needs to come from somewhere. You can't drink your principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

It's the leaks, it's the **** infrastructure in place, and it's the mismanagement of the whole thing that's causing problems. It's not a lack of rain.

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    If people choose to live away from the services provided by the state what do they expect? Although group schemes and private well owners avail of grants. Of course the option is to sell their homes loose out on the relative peace /quiet and much lower Property tax and move to an urban setting.

The "boggers choice" argument. On time, every time. And it would stand up too, if every rural dweller could just sell up their ample country holding and move.

Also, according to https://lpt.revenue.ie/lpt-web/reckoner/lpt.html, my property tax is the exact same as someone would pay Dublin City Council for an equivalent property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

Yeah. It's about time we grew up and paid for our water.

Hi Denis :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

jooksavage wrote:
    The "boggers choice" argument. On time, every time. And it would stand up too, if every rural dweller could just sell up their ample country holding and move.

I live in a rural environment so your comment is void. The nearest town ( my original home) is 14 miles away. I'm also aware of the grants available to group schemes and well owners. Something that seems to me never mentioned by the rural fans of water meters.
    My property tax would be 3 times what I currently pay if I lived in a similar property in my former home town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

nthclare wrote: »
    This hose pipe nation wide ban is a joke.

There's lakes in Clare which are 80ft deep in places and people are getting their water pumped from there.

There's deep wells which would fire water 100 foot into the sky....but we're banned from the hose pipe....

Ban it in Dublin, ban it everywhere else.....

How can the river Shannon sustain Dublin's needs if it can't supply the Midlands ????

Because people aren't drinking water from lakes or rivers. There is a vital process in the middle called "treatment" which makes it drinkable. That is where the capacity is being exceeded, hence the hose pipe ban.

Nobody is saying that The Shannon or some lake in Clare is running out of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

Zebra3 wrote: »
    You seem to have lost the plot.

Because water is supplied to houses through general taxation you want free food? :confused:

You know exactly what I mean. Electricity is also supplied to houses but it’s not free. We should pay for this precious resource, specifically for high usage (but not to a private company I agree).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I don't have an issue with paying for it if I overuse the resource. Every household should be allowed a reasonable allowance

The problem I have is all those people who will never have to pay and might well be the worst wasters of water

Benteke wrote: »
    Denis O'Brien loves people like you

I highly doubt it since I never paid it.
    And notice that I said that it shouldn't be privatised.

A band aid over a gaping wound.

Meters don't make it rain more, or make the reservoirs bigger, or reduce the population of Dublin.

Even if there were meters in place it would only give a couple more weeks reprive before a hose-pipe ban got put in place. The drought isn't caused by a lack of metering. It's not even caused by the leaks in all the pipes. It due to the lack of rain.

Infrastructural investment, in the form of more numerous reservoirs, and replaced piping systems is important. Hopefully we might see it happen at some point. Nothing's stopping the government from investing in it.

We did invest a billion euro in Irish Water though. That's been really useful. :mad:

Is it not the result of demand being higher than treatment plants can produce? The rivers haven’t run dry yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

They have water meters in much of the UK and pay charges yet frequent hose pipe bans.....

Just think how bad it would be if they DIDN'T have water meters!!

They've 12-13 times our population and a similar climate in a land maybe double our size (if that).

That there are water shortages at all here is a disgrace of poor planning and management.

Water metering is going to have to come in at some stage. And we'll welcome it. We just had a populist moment of madness (you know, like voting for Trump, or for Brexit) at the tail end of the austerity era. Fortunately, we'll be able to correct it more easily than the Brits or Yanks will be able to sort out their idiocy.

Isn't it great to feel superior to entire nations?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

I highly doubt it since I never paid it.
    And notice that I said that it shouldn't be privatised.

But it will be privatised if it was happen and now you would be willing to pay, While you have a new change of attitude you might as well ask the government if you can pay your paye twice while you're at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

So let's suppose we all have water meters and are being charged €3 per 1000 litres (ballpark charge in UK). We go to Lidl and buy that swimming pool - bring it home and fill it for € 21. Is that all, sure let's power hose the driveway while we're at it - another few euro.

Where's the incentive to conserve, sounds like a bargain to me - we're paying for it now - let's get value. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

They have water meters in much of the UK and pay charges yet frequent hose pipe bans.....

Because they pay council charges which covers an awful lot.

Benteke wrote: »
    But it will be privatised if it was happen and now you would be willing to pay, While you have a new change of attitude you might as well ask the government if you can pay your paye twice while you're at it

Did you see the part where I said that it should be enshrined into law that it must remain as part of the public ownership? Under no circumstances should it be allowed to be privatised. I think everyone who agreed we should pay for water etc would agree on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I drove past 3 different Road side car washs today in the nw, every one of them had a queue of cars waiting to be washed.

Do people not listen to the news?
    In drought conditions, with hosepipe bans, do people really need their cars washed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I have been using two water butts with last 5 yrs., washing cars, windows, footpaths, and watering plants, love them, I think they would save every one money , plenty rain falling most of the time, and all free, would never go back to the hose, I just use sponge with car wash product and then use watering can on the car to rinse it off, comes up great always,

NIMAN wrote: »
    I drove past 3 different Road side car washs today in the nw, every one of them had a queue of cars waiting to be washed.

In drought conditions, with hosepipe bans, do people really need their cars washed?

well.....they're not allowed to do it at home...

(also a lot of car washes actually recycle the water they use, not sure quite how efficient it is but it's not all draining away either)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Same here, I saw 4 cars getting washed at one time today at one car wash in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

wexie wrote: »
    well.....they're not allowed to do it at home...

(also a lot of car washes actually recycle the water they use, not sure quite how efficient it is but it's not all draining away either)

Believe me, the guys I seen washing cars have zero recycling ability.

I would doubt they even pay taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

You know as well I do that most Derry folk don't give a flying **** about what they're asked/told not to do.

• Advertisement

Believe me, the guys I seen washing cars have zero recycling ability.

I would doubt they even pay taxes.

Oh you mean not an actual carwash like? Just a few guys by the side of the road with buckets and sponges?

Geez, some bloody ban this is....
    Everybody!! We gotta conserve water so we're implementing a hosepipe ban!

Well eh....what will you do if you ignore it?

Eh...well....dirty looks and some tut tutting

Righty.....carry on

:rolleyes:

Advertisement