Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D II Act One Scene IV(a) - The Mines of Dhurn Dharal

Options
  • 10-06-2018 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭

The group appear in a heavy snow storm, at the base of a small polar mountain. Dhurn Dharal lies in front of them to the West.

Cj1xOZ.jpg

To the East is the fire moon, Sarkhuh Zinlaz, tethered to Dhurn Dharal by magic.

coo6gO.jpg

To the north a light is visible on the horizon, the sun of the inner world. Even here, looking North, one can see the ground beginning to dip downward into the inner world.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Vrarkash looks to the others.

'We should make for the settlement, get out of this storm. None of us are dressed for this weather.'

He pushes West towards the gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Sarric follows Vrarkrash but is unable to stop looking behind him and admiring the fire moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Redzer places a hand on Varkrashes shoulder, or what ever they are, there are only two fingers and ore like veins lie beneath them.

"The Earth sings here...and the organics within respond. I did not think any of you possessed this ability. So these are the 'Dwarves' if I have the term."

Karinth shouts ahead.

"I thank you for not taking Cargulok dragon, for I fear he would perish quickly in this clime"

They reach the lowest guard house. At least a hundred dwarves man the walls, ten have their crossbows trained on the group.

"Business?" one in red plate armour shouts.

"We are in need of supplies and some warm clothes and a hot meal, would you have any of these available to trade?"

The dwarf speaks to another next to him, who walks down into the guard tower.

When he returns, he holds a heavy package, wrapped in red wool. He then tosses this off the tower and into the snow.

"There ye go, clothing fit fer elves, food for two days and magnesium packets for heating said food. On yer way now"

• Advertisement

"What has your facility in such a xenophobic mood?"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote: »
    The dwarf speaks to another next to him, who walks down into the guard tower.

When he returns, he holds a heavy package, wrapped in red wool. He then tosses this off the tower and into the snow.

"There ye go, clothing fit fer elves, food for two days and magnesium packets for heating said food. On yer way now"

Vrakrash looks up at the dwarves.

'Hold up!'

He reaches into his pack and pulls out the colossal gem.

'I wish to trade this with ye. I have more, although not in this size. But you will have to let us in. I am told it is worth a lot of money... and if I learned anything about dwarves from my time with them, I know ye like treasure - and the tale of how I got it.'

sKeith wrote: »
    "What has your facility in such a xenophobic mood?"
    "We're not, gave ye food and clothes. A true xenophobe would have let ye die in the snow"

Necrominus wrote: »
    'I wish to trade this with ye. I have more, although not in this size. But you will have to let us in. I am told it is worth a lot of money... and if I learned anything about dwarves from my time with them, I know ye like treasure - and the tale of how I got it.'
    "Dragon, this here is the Mines of Dhurn Dharal, yer trying to sell water to fish. The pack has medicine, should ye get a cold out there. Now on yer way"

"Dragon, this here is the Mines of Dhurn Dharal, yer trying to sell water to fish. The pack has medicine, should ye get a cold out there. Now on yer way"

'Ah but this is no ordinary gem, my stout friend. This was taken from... well...

Let us in and I can explain. Let me just say that this is no ordinary gem, size aside.'

He gestures to the moon.

'Something holding that in place, I'd harbour a guess - magic maybe? I think this gem would strengthen whatever is holding it so close to ye.'

• Advertisement

'Ah but this is no ordinary gem, my stout friend. This was taken from... well...

Let us in and I can explain. Let me just say that this is no ordinary gem, size aside.'

He gestures to the moon.

'Something holding that in place, I'd harbour a guess - magic maybe? I think this gem would strengthen whatever is holding it so close to ye.'
    "Yeah, we don't do the whole 'mystery stranger shows up at the gates and won't explain himself till we let 'im in' thing.

So either you've a good explanation, in full, with proof or ye turn yer golden arse back out into the snowy wilderness."

"Yeah, we don't do the whole 'mystery stranger shows up at the gates and won't explain himself till we let 'im in' thing.

So either you've a good explanation, in full, with proof or ye turn yer golden arse back out into the snowy wilderness."

'Fine. It was taken from an underwater temple - along with... this.'

He takes off the djinn ring and holds it aloft.

The temple collapsed when I removed it, so it has a type of power.'

He rubs the djinn ring to summon him again.

'And I also took this from within. A real life - bonafide genie. Trust me, we are the type of people you want within your walls, not traipsing around outside.

One way or another, we'll get in. Do you really want a pissed off, fire breathing genie wielding, dragonborn on your hands then?

So let's just cut to the chase.'

"You've got some nerve dragon, you ain't getting in and now you've threatened me.

Last warning, back off now"

He holds up his hand, making a V symbol.

From the front of the tower and grey cannon folds out mechanically.

Vrakrash shrugs.

'Guess I'll just have to wish you all away then. I counter... Last chance to open the gate or I turn all your diamonds in that mine into sludge.'

He winks at Sarric and summons the genie.

The dwarf in the tower doesn't budge.

"I don't know much about genies, but no way are you carrying around a being that powerful with you, they'd need to be a god."

He looks unconcerned at the genie.

'Do you really wish to take that risk?'

He looks at the genie.

'Fancy earning your freedom?'

The genie looks at Varkrash.

"I'd enjoy that very much!"

The dwarf just laughs.

"Yeah, real 'risk' I'm taking lad.

Look boys, it's the lad with a god for a friend who wanders around in the snow for no reason."

The genie looks at Varkrash.

"I'd enjoy that very much!"

The dwarf just laughs.

"Yeah, real 'risk' I'm taking lad.

Look boys, it's the lad with a god for a friend who wanders around in the snow for no reason."

Vrakrash ignores the dwarf. He turns to the genie.

'A display of your power on that cannon, and the next wish I get - I promise to free you.'

The genie focuses his eyes and the cannon begins to melt.

The lead dwarf jumps in shock.

"They're stronger than we though, bombard them!!"

Seven more cannons fold out and begin to fire on the group.

Vrakrash looks to the group.

'Any ideas? This moron doesn't want to see sense.'

He looks for an area to take cover from the cannons.

• Advertisement

"The dwarfs down south at the pyramid were very hospitable to us, and on the very night of our meeting we agreed to rid them of their slaver problem. We even have two reabilated ex-slavers here in our party who have given up the career to go adventuring with the rest of us. Discipibes of bansylegs if I recall right.

it is just surprising your two groups are of the same race, and I was enquiring what is the cause of this stranger fear, as I was not expecting such a cold welcome."

Sarrick picks up the package, " thanks for the literal translation of wanting to meet and become friendly. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I call upon the Jinn who I free to assist me now.

Tigger wrote: »
    I call upon the Jinn who I free to assist me now.
    The genie appears in Rhiggy's hand amid the cannon blast.

"Hey bud, what do ya want?"

Ser Boros dives in beside Varkrash.

"These are powerful cannons your world has, the fortress looks impreganable, the dwarves in my world are hill dwelling folk, not fortified with battlements on such scale, is everything bigger here?"

Karinth slides in beside them.

"A frontal assault directly on the fortress, it's the only way to go. I'll draw the fire, while you two rush for the gates. This eel..."

Columbo looks at him.

"Elemental water drake"

Karinth rolls his eyes.

"...the elemental water drake can surely do something distracting with the snow. Mule will accompany me in the dire situation where I need to drain the life force of another"

The genie appears in Rhiggy's hand amid the cannon blast.

"Hey bud, what do ya want?"

Just wondering what has these dwarves so tetchy?

Tigger wrote: »
    Just wondering what has these dwarves so tetchy?
    "Don't know, dwarves aren't my jurisdiction I'm sorry to say, as an Elven god I gotta keep to my own"

A canonball halts in midair an inch from Rhiggy's head.

"I'd be careful here"

Ser Boros dives in beside Varkrash.

"These are powerful cannons your world has, the fortress looks impreganable, the dwarves in my world are hill dwelling folk, not fortified with battlements on such scale, is everything bigger here?"

Karinth slides in beside them.

"A frontal assault directly on the fortress, it's the only way to go. I'll draw the fire, while you two rush for the gates. This eel..."

Columbo looks at him.

"Elemental water drake"

Karinth rolls his eyes.

"...the elemental water drake can surely do something distracting with the snow. Mule will accompany me in the dire situation where I need to drain the life force of another"

Vrakrash looks at Columbo.

'Well - can you?'

He calls Redzer over.

'You wanna help us out?'

He then looks at Sarric and Rhiggy.

'Push forward with Karinth's plan, or will we back off and find another way in?'

Vrakrash looks at Columbo.

'Well - can you?'

He calls Redzer over.

'You wanna help us out?'

He then looks at Sarric and Rhiggy.

'Push forward with Karinth's plan, or will we back off and find another way in?'
    Redzer stares at Varkrash, then asks in a confused voice.

"What should I do, they seek only to defend their home and laid out clear terms. What is so bad about the snow?"

Columbo thinks.

"There is some stuff I could do, a walled tunnel in the snow"

Ser Boros pops his head out over the embankment they are in.

"So Varkrash and I race through this tunnel to the fortress, while Karinth serves as a distraction?"

"Yes" Karinth replies with a nod.

Vrakrash shrugs.

'Let's go for it. Save that smart arse dwarf for me if we make it through Karinth. Ready when you are - Columbo, Ser Boros.'

• Advertisement

"Don't know, dwarves aren't my jurisdiction I'm sorry to say, as an Elven god I gotta keep to my own"

A canonball halts in midair an inch from Rhiggy's head.

"I'd be careful here"

Er thanks for that I think I’m gonna make like a tree and get the flock out of here

Advertisement