Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D II Act One Scene IV(a) - The Mines of Dhurn Dharal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

"No map then?" Sarric asks hopelessly after the dwarf.
    He then procedds down the walkways, hopefully before the crowds from the airship begin deembarking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

Necrominus wrote: »
    'Fame, fortune and adventure, my new friend. Hoping to cash in on some loot from previous quests also.

And you?'
    "Battle evil, help the needy, and" Iuric sighs "spread the word of Mesharum" Iuric looks back out at the airship "Although there is one other thing that drew me here instead of any other of the number of places I could help, the city's name. It bares a striking similarity to the legendary sword Durandal. Probably just a coincidence."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Evade wrote: »
    "Battle evil, help the needy, and" Iuric sighs "spread the word of Mesharum" Iuric looks back out at the airship "Although there is one other thing that drew me here instead of any other of the number of places I could help, the city's name. It bares a striking similarity to the legendary sword Durandal. Probably just a coincidence."

Vrakrash hefts his newly claimed jewel encrusted axe.

'If it exists, it seems likely it would be here. If you pick up any trail of it, be sure to come find me. I will help you find it if I can.'

"Most kind of you. I must take my leave." Iuric bows slightly and heads off to find some people in need of a help, the thought "an attractive blonde would be nice" crosses his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

sKeith wrote: »
    "No map then?" Sarric asks hopelessly after the dwarf.
    He then procedds down the walkways, hopefully before the crowds from the airship begin deembarking.
    Sarric manages to make his way down to the large middle class town that the walkway leads to.

The town itself is built on a precipice overlooking a much larger city whose towers are made from strong metals.

As far as dwarven towns go it looks standard, ale, barbers, baker and all you expect from the commoner life. Much like any village on the surface, save with farming swapped for mining.

• Advertisement

"Most kind of you. I must take my leave." Iuric bows slightly and heads off to find some people in need of a help, the thought "an attractive blonde would be nice" crosses his mind.
    The people leaving the airship seem reasonably trouble free. The town below though, seems to have a notice board and a few inns, common places to learn about people's troubles.

Iuric follows the call of the downtrodden and heads to the town to see what's what.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote: »
    The people leaving the airship seem reasonably trouble free. The town below though, seems to have a notice board and a few inns, common places to learn about people's troubles.

Vrakrash heads for the town below. He makes for the notice board and begins to read.

Iuric and Varkrash both arrive at the notice board.

The usual stuff, cleaners, selling mining gear, Elfish lessons for beginners, but there are two more interesting notices. One asking for help with a murder in one of the local houses and also an extended notice from the city below the town asking for help with criminal gang who seem to be capable of stealing gold and gems right out of magically protected vaults.

"Hmm. Both warrant intervention but murder is more grave than thievery." Iuric takes not of the details and prepares to head to the victims house.

• Advertisement

"Hmm. Both warrant intervention but murder is more grave than thievery." Iuric takes not of the details and prepares to head to the victims house.

Vrakrash waves to Iuric.

'Come back and find me when you learn of anything important, I shall assist you. But for now, I need to rest.'

He heads for the nearest inn, keeping an eye out for a jewellers on the way.

OOC: Working tonight and it's really busy :( Keep going though folks!

"Of course" Iuric heads off in search of the house.

Iuric arrives at the house, difficult to tell its size or anything really as it presents as simply a metal door, of exquisite craftsmanship, embedded in the mountain rock on the edge of town.

Iuric knocks on the door an announces himself "Hello, I am Iuric Mercutius, adherent of Mesharum. I am here aboout the notice in the square."

Iuric knocks on the door an announces himself "Hello, I am Iuric Mercutius, adherent of Mesharum. I am here aboout the notice in the square."
    The doors open, a pair of dwarven men look at Iuric, each other and then nod.
    Behind them is a long tunnel.

"I'm Dorin, he's Hurguil. You here about the murder? Wonderful, ye a cleric? Or better yet one of them human faith militant types?"

Vrakrash waves to Iuric.

'Come back and find me when you learn of anything important, I shall assist you. But for now, I need to rest.'

He heads for the nearest inn, keeping an eye out for a jewellers on the way.

OOC: Working tonight and it's really busy :( Keep going though folks!
    Varkrash wakes suddenly, completely refreshed, even though it is only a few minutes since he feel asleep.

"I'm Dorin, he's Hurguil. You here about the murder? Wonderful, ye a cleric? Or better yet one of them human faith militant types?"
    "Gods no! Not a cleric. I seek justice in the name of" sigh "Mesharum. What happened here?"

"Ah, justice, wonderful, right up yer alley then lad"

They begin to lead Iuric down the tunnel, before stopping before a beautiful crystal door.

"So ye see our cousin owned this fine property, but he turned up dead in a tavern one morning, when the owner opened the place, with an old rune burned onto his back. He'd been last seen heading to his home the night before.

Naturally he named us as his heirs, friends since we were boys. However we'd adventured a bit in our youth, we knew it wasn't random ruffians who killed him and the crystal door was new. So we sent a group of three stout human fellas in, they haven't come back.

So, well we aren't going to enter, but we declare yer allowed to keep what ye find. Task is simple, get rid of whatever is in the place."

Iuric looks at the pair and tires to determine if they're telling the truth.

"What did the rune look like?"

Iuric looks at the pair and tires to determine if they're telling the truth.

"What did the rune look like?"
    "Hurguil, you sketched the rune, show the man."

Hurguil takes out a piece of drawing paper with a copy of the runic symbol on it.

It looks like most dwarven runes, a main vertical line with several other lines intersecting it from various angles of various thickness.

"It'll mean little to a human, it was the older rune for 'property' with some custom lines..." he points to some at the top "...indicating 'me' or 'mine'. I think the intention is clear. However this rune, few would know how to draw it and it's an obscure way to make the point. Nobody has used this rune since the spelling reform eight hundred years ago."

• Advertisement

"Hmm... old Dwarven spirit of some kind" Iuric muses aloud. "Seems simple enough" Iuric tries to open the door.

The door opens easily.

It leads to a tunnel with a sharp turn to the West.

There is a rune on the right wall.

"It means 'As it was' lad" Hurguil replies "Though again, in the old script"

"I don't suppose either of you would care to join me in case I encounter more of these old runes?"

They take to talking to each other intently and in hushed tones.

"He'll need the help, perhaps that's why the others fail, ye need to know the ruins. I'll do it..."
    "I won't let you..."

They continue discussing until finally they embrace and Hurguil turns to Iuric.

"Alright lad, I'll come, I'm the rune expert and I won't endanger my little brother. Wish me well Dorin"

"Aye the best my brother"

"Stay behind me and if it gets too dangerous run" Iuric heads down the tunnel.

Varkrash wakes suddenly, completely refreshed, even though it is only a few minutes since he feel asleep.

Vrakrash makes his way to the address on the notice board regarding the murder.

"Stay behind me and if it gets too dangerous run" Iuric heads down the tunnel.
    They continue down the tunnel, which is lined with rock carvings, until there is a split in the path, going South or East.

"I don't remember the entry tunnel being this complex. Ornate yes, but it lead straight to the living chambers"

The passage South clearly terminates at a carving in the wall of a dwarven warrior in very thick armour and goggles.

Vrakrash makes his way to the address on the notice board regarding the murder.
    A dwarf with tears in his eyes opens the door.

"Aye? Wha...."

He stares shocked at Varkrash.

"A dragon!!! Lad I hope yer here for the murder job!"

Iuric heads south to examine the carving. "Any idea what this is about?" He asks the Dwarf

• Advertisement

Iuric heads south to examine the carving. "Any idea what this is about?" He asks the Dwarf
    "A warrior from the same period, eight hundred years ago, there were a few attempts to take surface kingdoms then. The armour is for surface combat"

He stares at the runes on the carvings breastplate.

"Thorgulin...old name, like something out of a children's tale...wait yes Thorgulin, the song..."

He begins to mutter a nursery rhyme in dwarven

"...he had a flying machine and bombed the elves, or so goes the first line."

Advertisement