Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D II Act One Scene II(b) - The Dread City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

The council turn to follow Othegre out of the room. The liquid councilman turning to one shapped like a flamingo.

"You tell her why we need to go to Faerûn, I don't want that again."

They leave.

Karinth rubs his neck. "Oh great, another pseudo-death sentence....ha! Have I ever failed her though!"

He walks over.

"Sarric, Boros, our bridge to Athas awaits. Othegre was kind enough to leave it open"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Sarric hops and skips towards the bridge, "This just got even better, we're off to save a fool" Sarric says, then turns to Karinth, "what's the story with the maggot, is that going to be trouble on our mission?"

sKeith wrote: »
    Sarric hops and skips towards the bridge, "This just got even better, we're off to save a fool" Sarric says, then turns to Karinth, "what's the story with the maggot, is that going to be trouble on our mission?"
    "Pfffftt, I doubt it. I have removed similar items and thwarted modifications the city have made to me before, no worries my friend Karinth is his own man."

They enter the planeshifting room. This time, the gateway is not within the mouth of one of the odd frogs, but is a large sphere shining in the center of the room.

Karinth salutes and dives into the sphere.

Ser Boros stares at a frog with 'Mystara' written above it. "So it's done with frogs? Except when the use balls? Well I don't get it...after you Sarric"

Sarric runs and somersaults into the sphere.

Sarric tumbles out the gateway onto red sand. Karinth stands over him hand outstretched.

"Welcome my friend to a plane as tough as they get."

Above Karinth hangs the sun, though it is dim, with the appearance of a smouldering fire.

f1ElwO.jpg

• Advertisement

Sarric stands then shakes the outstretched hand, "Athas plane, anything I should know about?"

"It's essentially a post-apocalyptic society, the plane once had a population of billions, but now only a few million remain. Mostly city states ruled over by ancient sorcerers, who are ascending to dragon form. Magic is very rare here as the only source of magic energy isn't the mind of the caster or a god, but the environment itself. That's what led to the world's ruin.

We know there was a genocidal war at some point, so the plane no longer has dragonborn, gnomes, orcs and several other races.

For reasons we don't understand the plane developed without any Gods, thus there are no Clerics. Our main interest in Athas is that the inhabitants display mental powers unrelated to magic, psionics they call them."

"So, my ice scroll is just a piece of paper in this plane and my cantrip won't work either?", Sarric asks, disappointedly

"So, my ice scroll is just a piece of paper in this plane and my cantrip won't work either?"
    "It's difficult to cast magic, especially without causing further corruption. Those born with the talent are often killed, those who learn may be accepted if they can do so without draining the plane further. The extent of the corruption is worst in its effects on the sun, almost extinguished.

It will be difficult to cast the ice spell I suspect, probably best to leave it until an area with plant life you can drain the energy from, though the locals won't be happy.

The cantrips are usually weak enough in effect that they may be cast without too much environmental damage, but they're rare among natives, even Wizards rarely get to practice magic to the point that they have spells they can just do without effort. They'll mark us out as very odd."

Sarric smirks, "Either time is dialated over here or ser boras has gotten cold feet"

• Advertisement

"Yes, that is odd"

Karinth paces the portal.

"I can't return through this one, where is he?"

"No point in returning until we have something to show for our journey. Any idea where this Thronis is being held?"

"In Nibenay, named after its ruler, the sorcerer kings are a vain lot."

Sarric looks at the portal, "I suppose we should head there then..... That woman you were talking to, Othegre, she had this portal open already, did she come from here? do you know what she done here, what did she tell you?"

Sarric looks at the portal, "I suppose we should head there then..... That woman you were talking to, Othegre, she had this portal open already, did she come from here? do you know what she done here, what did she tell you?"
    "Well I mostly convinced her not to kill me...or maybe it would be more accurate to say I spoke for a while and probably independently of anything I said, she happened not to kill me.

She was here to trade with another of the Sorcerer Kings, Borys, some of their most powerful psionics in exchange for education in Vivimancy. According to what I heard it went quite well."

"Okay, so these people are open to trade and negotations, good."

In the distance Sarric and Karinth see a large trade caravan heading their way across the desert.

Sarric has one last glace at the portal before walking slowly to meet the caravan.

The caravan consists of a group of about forty clad in furs, tattooed and holding spears, the group is a mix of humans and elves. They ride atop strange mix of dinosaurs, large mammals and other hulking beasts.

One of them dismounts.

"City dwellers or...." he looks at the portal "...something else?"

"I don't dwell long in cities, more of a passer thru than dweller, so, yeah, some thing else would be the better of the two descriptions. I gather you are a dino rider, or... something else?"

• Advertisement

"Something else, like yourself.

If either of you can fight, we'd be glad to have you, we are being pursued by raiders. Help us and we can offer you transport and shelter."

"How many raiders did you count?"

"A party of about twenty, twelve of our warriors can aid you"

"What method of travel do the raiders have?"

"Similar to our own, though their beasts are faster, we managed to slow them down a day ago by collapsing a ridge, but they'll be one us soon, two or three hours I would guess."

"Maybe you should sacrifice some of your cargo, I doubt they are after your lives, just your cargo, if you were to leave some behind, maybe the raiders would be satisfied with that and give up the pursuit, it would also slow them down, having to carry it and speed you up as your animals would be less encumbered."

"I wish so, unfortunately, they're slavers. They'll take some cargo, but also the young."

Karinth laughs.

"Then your young should be strong enough to wrench their freedom from the jaws of these slavers, not rely on the help of two strangers they find in the desert. Perhaps we are worse than these raiders for all you know."

The caravan leader looks a bit nervous at this.

"Are your twelve willing to die to protect this caravan and your young?"

"I can guarantee they are...this is all we have, many will be fighting for their own families."

• Advertisement

"why have they not engaged the raiders before now? it is just that you now know there is little time to continue running. Bring your twelve to me, I'll give them a blessing that will ensure their victory, then you must have them engage the raiders."

Advertisement