Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formuler F1 Twin Satellite Tuner plus hdd for sat and saorview.

Options
  • 18-11-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭

I have an elderly friend who is getting a raw deal from sky and I have heard great things about this box so if anyone has it can you say how easy it is to use, especially for recording and does it do series link. bear in mind person is elderly and thinks sky is great until it goes belly up and you have to ring them.

I know a bit about images, ie vix, openatv, openpli, blackhole etc but this box has to be easy peasy or I will spend all my time on the phone.

As KK once said " i would love it, just lov it, " if I could ..... sk.

help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The Formuler F1 is a twin tuner but you have the option to include an extra internal DVB-T2 or S2 tuner for Saorview. I have it running openATV and find it rock solid. EPG, recordings etc are as easy or even easier than any Sky interface I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭swoofer

perfect and thank you, what hdd are you using, ie make and capacity. I have a samsung 500gb on a humax freeview and its tiny but works great. I have opeantv on a solo2 and like it. does that box do iptv and other plugins just out of interest.

I have a bog standard 200Gb laptop portable HDD. AFAIK just about any HDD will do but USB keys are not recommended. The Formuler also has an eSata port and SD card slot, presumably so you could access pics or video from a camera/phone. Being enigma based all the usual plugins work well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have a bog standard 200Gb laptop portable HDD. AFAIK just about any HDD will do but NOT a USB key. The Formuler also has an eSata port and SD card slot, presumably so you could access pics or video from a camera/phone. Being enigma based all the usual plugins work well ;)

Out of interest, do you know why a USB key will not work?

USB keys are not recommended for the main storage on any recorder. They are not designed for continuous writing/rewriting which is necessary for timeshifting. Cheaper keys are often not fast enough to handle even one HD signal and will struggle if you want to record/watch 3 HDs at once. A mechanical HDD is far better value/Gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

USB keys are not recommended for the main storage on any recorder. They are not designed for continuous writing/rewriting which is necessary for timeshifting. Cheaper keys are often not fast enough to handle even one HD signal and will struggle if you want to record/watch 3 HDs at once. A mechanical HDD is far better value/Gb

Yes I know, and agree with that.
    Although not recommended they do still work!

Maybe I mis-understood what you meant but it seemed to me to say that a USB key would not work.
    AFAIK just about any HDD will do but NOT a USB key.

OK I'll edit it to clarify

will an e sata be powered by the e sata port?

swoofer wrote: »

I've no idea. Never used it. Other more techie people might know more:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Nope.

Theoretically you could power a 5v one off the usb wich would be or around 5v.

• Advertisement

Ok, my idea is the e sata does nothing so if used would free up usb ports, I take it I still need a stick for epg stuff.

I get the idea of e sata use a caddy for power.

I looked at WOS and they offer image flashing does it come with all the sky stuff on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I know I've asked before and the answer was no, but just in case anything has changed, does anyone know if these boxes can be bought ready to plug and play, as in, 7 day epg for satellite and Saorview, series link etc, already installed and ready to go ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    I know I've asked before and the answer was no, but just in case anything has changed, does anyone know if these boxes can be bought ready to plug and play, as in, 7 day epg for satellite and Saorview, series link etc, already installed and ready to go ?
    No enigma box will ever be ready to go as you will have unique variables. Things like your home network and whichever is your local Saorview mast. 7day EPG and series linking are there by default in openATV. Other images may need a few tweaks to get them running. In most cases the first time you set up an image it will "walk" you through the setup using wizards for network and channel scanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

No enigma box will ever be ready to go as you will have unique variables. Things like your home network and whichever is your local Saorview mast. 7day EPG and series linking are there by default in openATV. Other images may need a few tweaks to get them running. In most cases the first time you set up an image it will "walk" you through the setup using wizards for network and channel scanning.

OK, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

Epg is fine on the hdd
    Have it that way myself also and no USB.
    As the epg data only downloads once a day so hdd only loads once.
    Ok, my idea is the e sata does nothing so if used would free up usb ports, I take it I still need a stick for epg stuff.

I get the idea of e sata use a caddy for power.

I looked at WOS and they offer image flashing does it come with all the sky stuff on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Wow the Formuler F1 is some steal at that price ,£89 .
    That is a crazy price for a triple tuner with that spec.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Zardoz wrote: »
    Wow the Formuler F1 is some steal at that price ,£89 .
    That is a crazy price for a triple tuner with that spec.

From where?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Zardoz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Aquos76 wrote: »
    From where?
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/formuler_/formuler_f1

(As above^^)

I got mine through Parcel motel, a great piece of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭VeryRapidSkoda

Hi, I'm interested in this also. I have no satellite dish so I was wondering if I got this, how much would it be roughly to get it installed and by whom. I'm in Dublin west and if anyone has any recommendations if they could pm me please. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

great price alright as the trade price from satworld for this model is €140

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭martin6651

Had a look at this also but I'm confuses as to what options to set when ordering one.

martin6651 wrote: »
    Had a look at this also but I'm confuses as to what options to set when ordering one.

Not being smart but enigma boxes have a bit of setting up involved and a fairly steep learning curve. They are aimed more for someone who is comfortable with computers, networks etc.

If you want Saorview, Irish channels, you need the third optional tuner to be a terrestrial DVB-T tuner.
    I prefer the openATV software but vix also works well.
    Do you have a spare external HDD for a laptop? If so you wont need the 500Gb USB drive.
    Do you have a network connection nearby. If so you wont need the wifi dongle or homeplug. Wired is always best, followed by homeplugs, then wifi.
    I prefer to use the HDD for all storage so you shouldn't need the extra USB key storage.

Thank you, so there is no problems working here. Know a bit about computers and will get my son to help if I get into trouble.
    Will need saorview and a hard drive, I have wired network beside tv so thats not a problem. I like to record a lot so the 2 sat tuners will be good with the hard drive.

........... I like to record a lot so the 2 sat tuners will be good with the hard drive.

Yeah, sods law says there's nothing on all week then 3 things at once.

Gerry So are you letting me that I cant record to programs that are on at the same time ????? HA

It will happily record 3 HD shows at once

Gerry If you think I might be in over my head with this box can you recommend another with similar specs. before I purchase.

Having a problem with world of satellite it wont accept my order.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Having a problem with world of satellite it wont accept my order.

Must be a simple issue. I've bought plenty of stuff off them online and it's been very easy.

Advertisement