Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-08-2017, 09:37   #1
DaCor

Self driving buses, trains, trucks etc

Don't know about the rest of you, but I am looking forward to seeing driverless buses, trains, taxis and luas

It's really not as far away as people think

Last edited by devnull; 25-08-2017 at 14:45. Reason: Merging threads
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-08-2017, 17:54   #2
Infini

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
expect union backlash as always
Don't know about the rest of you, but I am looking forward to seeing driverless buses, trains, taxis and luas

It's really not as far away as people think
You know its really low to want people to be out of a job I mean thats just being miserable and petty. I mean do you want a good chunk of the population to just sit around around or do nothing or be forced into low wage jobs?

Besides that wont happen in most transport because of the risks associated with removing human intervention.
25-08-2017, 02:34   #3
DaCor

Self driving buses, trains, trucks etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infini View Post
You know its really low to want people to be out of a job I mean thats just being miserable and petty. I mean do you want a good chunk of the population to just sit around around or do nothing or be forced into low wage jobs?

Besides that wont happen in most transport because of the risks associated with removing human intervention.
It's not miserable at all, it's progress, nothing more.

Look at agriculture, from high human labour requirement, to minimal.

Same for most manufacturing processes.

With all that, we are still not far from full employment in this country, see http://www.cso.ie/multiquicktables/q....aspx?id=mum01

What happens is jobs change, new streams of employment open up. It's the way of things for the last 200 years.

As for it won't happen, it already is

https://www.google.ie/search?q=Self+driving+bus

In 10 years this will be the new normal
25-08-2017, 12:03   #4
boardsuser1

Partially Driverless Trucks in U.K. By 2019

What are people's opinions?

I personally will need to upskill if this is successful.

Partially driverless trucks to be on UK roads by 2019
http://jrnl.ie/3564121
Thanks from:
25-08-2017, 12:09   #5
LeinsterDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Truck Driver View Post

For testing. Still quite a while off and massive issues to overcome regarding merges and signage. There is a reason we've a maximum length on trucks.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2017, 12:14   #6
magicbastarder

i would guess the biggest issues would be legislation/insurance.
(2) thanks from:
25-08-2017, 12:46   #7
plodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Truck Driver View Post

upskill in what way? Each vehicle still needs a driver. I wonder will it result in any change to tachograph rules.

Seems like a good idea for long distance journeys on motorway. Though not sure if the distances in this country would justify it initially at least.
(2) thanks from:
25-08-2017, 13:05   #8
boardsuser1

Quote:
Originally Posted by plodder View Post
upskill in what way? Each vehicle still needs a driver. I wonder will it result in any change to tachograph rules.

Seems like a good idea for long distance journeys on motorway. Though not sure if the distances in this country would justify it initially at least.
Upskill as a result of what will undoubtedly be the future I'd imagine.

I'm in my early 30's and could have 40 years of work ahead of me.

In relation to tachograph's,if the driver is onboard it will count as normal I'd be inclined to believe.
25-08-2017, 13:05   #9
boardsuser1

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
i would guess the biggest issues would be legislation/insurance.
Legislation is the easier of the 2 I'd say.
Advertisement
25-08-2017, 13:07   #10
boardsuser1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeinsterDub View Post
For testing. Still quite a while off and massive issues to overcome regarding merges and signage. There is a reason we've a maximum length on trucks.
Anything over 16.5 meters needs a special licence, Such as a road train.
25-08-2017, 13:45   #11
Del.Monte

One of these days they are actually going to reinvent the wheel. Road trains for freight - it would be funny if it wasn't indicative of transport policy here and in countries like the USA.

Would it not be a better idea to develop rail freight, private sidings etc. and encourage businesses that need to ship large consignments to set up adjacent to rail lines I know it's all pie in the sky stuff but....driverless trucks, road trains, deliveries by drone - the stuff of science fiction.
25-08-2017, 13:47   #12
Dravokivich

Quote:
Originally Posted by plodder View Post

With the safety concerns aside for a second that usually come up with automated driving. I think we have quite a strong motorway network that could support this, as well as it being something that is generally perceived as over invested in, to the detriment of other infrastructure.

You can have hubs just off motorways for an automated truck to get to and then a driver takes over.
Thanks from:
25-08-2017, 13:51   #13
Alun

Can you imagine the carnage that would ensue when the average Irish driver tries to merge at 50km/h on to a motorway as a 3 truck driverless convoy goes past the on ramp?
25-08-2017, 14:01   #14
Accumulator

HGV Drivers were always going to be one of the first human worker classifications to to lost to the 4th Industrial Revolution. This news comes of little surprise.

Longer term, the future of all transport will likely go the way of pneumatic air tube transport systems coupled with low friction magnetic pulse levitation.
25-08-2017, 14:01   #15
plodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
With the safety concerns aside for a second that usually come up with automated driving. I think we have quite a strong motorway network that could support this, as well as it being something that is generally perceived as over invested in, to the detriment of other infrastructure.

You can have hubs just off motorways for an automated truck to get to and then a driver takes over.
Yeah, maybe though I think fully driverless will be a long way off. This idea sounds quite practical though. I'd imagine that any truck with the technology would be able to join convoys like this randomly on the m-way, though there would have to be some way to compensate the vehicle at the front for providing the "service" but not directly benefiting. Keeping trucks together in tight groups of three could help congestion to some extent, as well as fuel economy.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion