Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminator: Dark Fate **Spoilers from post 983**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

It looks absolute bollox from the clips, can’t leave well enough alone these days, they’ve all been ****e since T2

• Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

When there are 6 different writers and one of them is David Goyer it's best to keep any expectations very low.

I expect a run of the mill popcorn action movie that will probably leave me shrugging my shoulders and with a 'meh' throughout.

I feel the reason Cameron left this after T2 is that he knew the story was dead ended and couldn't really be taken forward in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

Early hyperbolic twitter reaction I saw

"This is the best since T2...

...I defended the other sequels recently"

Praise = invalid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Best since T2 isn't a very high bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't think 'the best since T2' is immediately worthless as T3 is actually OK really despite being too 'family friendly' and does have a terrific ending, surprisingly dark and bleak. If Dark Fate is better than T3 than I'd personally be happy enough.

I dislike Salvation immensely and thought Genisys was narratively weak (lets not talk about Pops) but extremely entertaining and the future war sections were genuinely quite well done, so really to my mind the only downright poor Terminator film remains Salvation.

Thought Dark Fate looked crap from initial trailers, but having seen the r-rated trailer in Rambo V recently my interest was peaked. I will be going to it regardless as T1 and T2 are two of my favorite films ever and the concept, while grossly overbaked by this point, is fascinating.

• Advertisement

Lol the amount of misery over this movie
    I'd take todays news as positive, I've been avoiding the trailers as I don't get the point in wanting to spoil the movie for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

is it 15A rated? That means I can bring my 10 year old for his birthday right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

bullvine wrote: »
    is it 15A rated? That means I can bring my 10 year old for his birthday right? :)

I went to see T2 in the cinema when i was 8, so id say he will be grand with the CGI blood of today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

nix wrote: »
    I went to see T2 in the cinema when i was 8, so id say he will be grand with the CGI blood of today :pac:

They didnt let me in when I was 13 :(

I just rewatched Genisys there actually. It's really not terrible, just not great, but it's very watchable. I didn't hate Jai Courtney as much this time around for some reason, Emilia Clarke is grand and the comedy didn't feel as poorly forced, probably due to conditioning from Marvel films and the knock-on effect on virtually every blockbuster going in recent times. I found myself thinking I really wouldn't have minded a sequel once the post-credits scene rolled around, though I'd prefer a gritty Terminator film over a 'Marvel' one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Best one since T2 ? I liked T3 as we got to see skynet become self aware and the war start which we'd be waiting for since 1984 to see. The ending was good. Salvation had a chance to build on what we saw in the third and did show the world after T3 but honestly it's the one I like the least. There was just a lot of stuff put into the film that didn't belong in the terminator franshise. I didn't mind genysis and I said at the time it was a good movie and they didnt overdo it and the alternate timeline of T1 was something I liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Website says once you have "deemed the film appropriate viewing for that child".

Terminator is indeed 15A:
    http://www.ifco.ie/en/ifco/pages/0B2520C9004538F5
    None - Drugs
    None - Sex / Nudity
    Strong - Violence
    Strong - Language

http://www.ifco.ie/en/ifco/pages/film-15a
    Films classified 15A have been deemed appropriate for viewers of fifteen and over. However, they can also be seen by younger children - provided they are accompanied by an adult who has deemed the film appropriate viewing for that child. In such cases, IFCO strongly recommends that parents/guardians make informed decisions by accessing the consumer advice available on this website.
    VIOLENCE/THREAT
    Violence may be realistic but not gratuitous or focus on bloody injury. Strong gory images will only be permitted if justified by the context in which they are presented. We take particular account of the way in which sexual violence is portrayed. Any such content in this category should be discreetly presented and contextually justified. Generally, horror in this category will be psychological in nature. Acts of sadism common to the genre are not permissible.

LANGUAGE
    Strong language is allowed at 15A. Frequent or aggressive use of these terms will have to be justified within the context of the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭ebbsy

T3 was ok I thought. A watchable film and certainly better than the 2 heaps of garbage that came after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Yep. Stuff to be aware of (I'll try not to be spoilery)

- Character slices off limbs in a brawl (you can get an idea of this in the red band trailers)
    - Non-explicit nudey fight scene
    - A lot of swearing
    - Reasonably graphic gunshot deaths

So, depends on the kid really imho. The new Terminator does have some creepy movement stuff that would have freaked me out as a kid much more than any of the above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Great thanks, he will be delighted. He doesn't think he will be allowed go, so we will surprise him.

Hes watched all the other ones and most of the main horrors from the 80's, as long as there's no sex we don't mind.

Homelander wrote: »
    I just rewatched Genisys there actually. It's really not terrible, just not great, but it's very watchable. I didn't hate Jai Courtney as much this time around for some reason, Emilia Clarke is grand and the comedy didn't feel as poorly forced, probably due to conditioning from Marvel films and the knock-on effect on virtually every blockbuster going in recent times. I found myself thinking I really wouldn't have minded a sequel once the post-credits scene rolled around, though I'd prefer a gritty Terminator film over a 'Marvel' one.

You should be Terminated lol, all jokes aside the start of Genisys where we see John Connor and the his army battling to get into Skynet if they had just went with that, just the humans fighting to get to the core and destroy it or be destroyed and forget the time traveling stuff i would have enjoyed that.

Thats what Terminator films never did give us an all out battle Humans vs Machines thats want i want too see anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

Thats what Terminator films never did give us an all out battle Humans vs Machines thats want i want too see anyway.

If its war you want, just watch something like Taegukgi and use your imagination. The Koreans are machine like killers and the film is a million times better than any Terminator sequel could ever be.

El Duda wrote: »
    If its war you want, just watch something like Taegukgi and use your imagination. The Koreans are machine like killers and the film is a million times better than any Terminator sequel could ever be.

Yeah but i want Terminators:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

You should be Terminated lol, all jokes aside the start of Genisys where we see John Connor and the his army battling to get into Skynet if they had just went with that, just the humans fighting to get to the core and destroy it or be destroyed and forget the time traveling stuff i would have enjoyed that.

Why does Salvation not get counted as a future war version of the story? There are a quite a few problems with the movie, but it is set in the future and there are a whole lot of Skynet machines buzzing about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

If this one flops that has to be the end of the Terminator franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Blame China: IIRC Genisys was a flop internationally, with its Chinese release pulling it back from the brink and accounts for a third of the total box-office. Fact is it's a ludicrously profitable market if you can get into it, with its audience a lot less picky about the quality of Hollywood blockbusters; Disney are doing all they can to make Star Wars a thing over there, as China doesn't actually like/care about the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

French critics, who are not embargoed, have absolutely savaged this.

Same old sh!t again according to them. Nothing inspired here and only marginally better than Genisys.

Staring down the barrel of a fail here it looks like (again). :(

Same old sh!t again according to them. Nothing inspired here and only marginally better than Genisys.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Homelander wrote: »

It's very terrible. Both lead actors are awful. Go watch Terminator 2 to wash the taste of **** from your mouth. No wonder they keep churning crap like this out when peoples standards are so low.

Linda Hamilton was a believable badass. We seen her change from the first movie into this through her experiences.

In Genisys they try to convey this by having her hold Jai Courtney up, 1 handed, while holding onto the edge of something she was hanging from with her other hand. The guy is at least twice her size and weight and it's physically impossible. Just 1 of the many retarded things in the movie.

By far the worst in the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Cordell

it's physically impossible
    And so it's changing the past, time paradox and all that, if you send someone to change the past then you won't have the reason to send someone to change the past.
    The film is bad though, everything after T2 was bad. Forgettable, which it's actually worse than bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Cordell wrote: »
    And so it's changing the past, time paradox and all that, if you send someone to change the past then you won't have the reason to send someone to change the past.
    The film is bad though, everything after T2 was bad. Forgettable, which it's actually worse than bad.

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief over unknown scientific possibilities in a Sci-Fi movie. Not over basic physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Cordell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwMMpmaQPPA
    Basic physics take a break here as well :)

check_six wrote: »
    Why does Salvation not get counted as a future war version of the story? There are a quite a few problems with the movie, but it is set in the future and there are a whole lot of Skynet machines buzzing about.

Very true, but it wasn't a full on one v one battle it had three different stories John Connor, Marcus and Kyle Reese who's stories intertwined with each other all leading up to a final conclusion with the destruction of a Skynet building, and leaving an ending that just left it open to another film.

I just want too see a film where they finally just go head to head slug it out and may the best one win.

BloodBath wrote: »
    It's very terrible. Both lead actors are awful. Go watch Terminator 2 to wash the taste of **** from your mouth. No wonder they keep churning crap like this out when peoples standards are so low.

I mean for clarity, I wasn't arguing that Genisys is a) a good terminator film or b) a good film in its own right even or c) that it couldn't have been a lot better. I simply said I find it not terrible, which I don't, now having seen it twice.

Terminator for me, is a 10/10 movie, T2 probably a 9/10. Genisys comparitively is probably a 6/10 in my eyes, which indicates a seriously flawed movie - which it is, to my mind - but that doesn't mean it's entirely without any worth. Arguably, it's pretty reflective of the general reception, it's currently 6.4 on IMDB for example.

Some people seem to operate in black and white, that a film can only be a worthy sequel and a great film, or else be crap. There are middle grounds and I have certainly seen far worse sequels, as well as isolated movies, than Terminator Genisys. A good example for me is the latest Alien movie, Covenant. That was absurdly bad, and to my mind a lot more disrespectful to what preceded it than Terminator Genisys is. But that's just my opinion, it's not any sort of objective fact.
    I just want too see a film where they finally just go head to head slug it out and may the best one win.

Both Salvation and Genisys were supposed to be trilogies culminating in exactly that but both were cancelled, so if Dark Fate doesn't do well, we'll have 3 cancelled trilogies that a) ultimately went nowhere and b) don't even belong in the same timeline. I suppose in fairness both work fine as stand alone movies at the same time, no major cliff hanger endings ala bigger established trilogies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Hmmm......why do I have a feeling the American critics are going to gush over it.

I hope those lads in China have the final say in this being a financial success just to see the rage all over Internet forums.

Advertisement