Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminator: Dark Fate **Spoilers from post 983**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Unearthly

pixelburp wrote: »
    If it's opening in China / Asia, it won't flop. It really couldn't be any worse than Genisys and in a world where the Transformers franchise continues, you can't be sure of quality vs. box office.

Just feels like it's on a downward trend. Arnie was a big reason for the asia market but his time on the trailers is minimal.

They seem to be banking on the name James Cameron this time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't want that when I go see a movie. I just want to be entertained. I can watch CNN whenever I want.

Why not just stay at home then? I don't see what the incessant whining about a film that hasn't been released yet is supposed to achieve.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eldeniro

Unearthly wrote: »
    Just feels like it's on a downward trend. Arnie was a big reason for the asia market but his time on the trailers is minimal.

They seem to be banking on the name James Cameron this time

how does it feel like it's on a downward trend when the last Terminator film made more money than both Rise of the Machines and Salvation?

What is the downward trend?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

In one of the clips on the trailer you see migrants escaping an obvious detention camp in the background when they are under attack by the rev 9.

Again though, they're crossing the border, there are practical storytelling elements involved. Note the shot of the border guys trying to X ray Grace, which has obvious implications for them all.

Idk, I'm a BSG and Firefly fan and I'm ancient enough to remember some of the context for stuff like T2 or the Matrix, which weren't as neutral as people seem to recall. I won't clutch pearls over movies not taking place in a politic vacuum, but I genuinely don't think you can really tell a modern Terminator movie without incorporating the border somehow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Messaging is in blockbusters, just depends how well its hidden: some weave it artfully enough to be ignored (Mad Max: Fury Road; Star Wars FFS however superficially), whereas others can be as blunt as a hammer (Independence Day; Day After Tomorrow pretty much set itself up as an inversion of modern third->first world migration; Dark Knight Rises; any Blockbuster funded by a Chinese studio tends to have a pro-China narrative).

Heck, speaking of China: how many American blockbusters set themselves up as inherently pro-American, pro-captailism narratives? If there's one happy result of the international markets becoming more important, it's that the obnoxious jingoism in American cinema has lessened. Yet only now we're up in arms over 'politics'?

Agree with the above sentiment that there's a LOT of bad air milling around over a film not even out yet. Feels like some have already made up their mind and it won't matter how good/bad/Atari Jaguar the final film is, people will pursue their confirmation bias.

Me, I'm going to hate it because it'll never be as good as my Battle of the Bulge Terminator film damnit :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Unearthly

eldeniro wrote: »
    how does it feel like it's on a downward trend when the last Terminator film made more money than both Rise of the Machines and Salvation?

What is the downward trend?

Fair enough.

Is it too late for me to use inflation to save me? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

Messaging is in blockbusters, just depends how well its hidden: some weave it artfully enough to be ignored (Mad Max: Fury Road; Star Wars FFS however superficially), whereas others can be as blunt as a hammer (Independence Day; Day After Tomorrow pretty much set itself up as an inversion of modern third->first world migration; Dark Knight Rises; any Blockbuster funded by a Chinese studio tends to have a pro-China narrative).

Heck, speaking of China: how many American blockbusters set themselves up as inherently pro-American, pro-captailism narratives? If there's one happy result of the international markets becoming more important, it's that the obnoxious jingoism in American cinema has lessened. Yet only now we're up in arms over 'politics'?

Agree with the above sentiment that there's a LOT of bad air milling around over a film not even out yet. Feels like some have already made up their mind and it won't matter how good/bad/Atari Jaguar the final film is, people will pursue their confirmation bias.

Me, I'm going to hate it because it'll never be as good as my Battle of the Bulge Terminator film damnit :D

There was a lot of hoo-rah! Action movies out of Hollywood in the 80's and 90's. Simpler times I guess, but at least they were pro something. Nasty, horrendously on the nose side swipes from the side-line however are something else.
    Trump derangement syndrome has infected Hollywood and they're not subtle about it.
    Entertainment can be political, sometimes, like Watchmen for example, it can even be great, but for the most part leave it in the subtext (remember subtext?).
    When it's a blatant virtue signal like Captain Marvel which just wears it on its sleeve that’s off-putting. I see a lot of complaining about 'incels crying about Captain marvel or X or Y being 'attacked'. It's performative outrage about a reaction they deliberately courted. Crying about a butt-hurt reaction to your butt-hurt messaging is hilariously hypocritical.
    If you're going to do things like this, don't pretend to be shocked by getting a reaction:

captain-marvel-send-her-home.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738

I see no need for any Terminators movies beyond T2 that neatly closed the loop.
    But let's not pretend that a Terminator story about a Latinx chick who needs to be rescued from one of Trump's ICE concentration camps so that she can be the saviour of humanities future, isn't some of the most eye rollingly woke nonsenses that's so on the nose that there's no way to interpret as anyting other F Drumpfh propaganda.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

LMAO Captain Marvel is about as provocative as a light gust of wind. The manbabies’ reaction to it has been hilariously overblown and worthy of nothing but mockery. And I say that as someone who thought the film was crappy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

conorhal wrote: »
    There was a lot of hoo-rah! Action movies out of Hollywood in the 80's and 90's. Simpler times I guess, but at least they were pro something. Nasty, horrendously on the nose side swipes from the side-line however are something else.
    Trump derangement syndrome has infected Hollywood and they're not subtle about it.

They were pro American Exceptionalism, and pro American interference in developing nations (usually threading a War on Drugs plot); stuff like Commando, Predator and whatnot were made during the Reagan era of Contra/Nicaragua, and its overall interference in Latin America (arguably the effects of which are still seen to this day. A lot of people forget just how much the US dabbled in Latin American countries)

Fact was America was still at a highpoint of its power, while international markets didn't count for as much; many films reflected this with an openly jingoistic view of the world. And why would they? America was on top, so that informed the movies they made. Power Fantasies were very much 'in'.

It's easy to look back now on it, shrug and go "simpler times", but blockbusters were no less politically insidious than stuff like "Wolf Warrior 2", the highest grossing movie in China ever & an openly propagandist piece. Eventually you saw a kickback against this mentality as the 80s went on - to the jury I submit ...

Robocop: arguably a politics-first blockbuster, that very much took American Exceptionalism and went "this stinks". But it had cool robots so I guess we didn't care?

Don't get the "Trump Derangement Syndrome", cos TBH I haven't seen any films that openly mock the President. That's just conflating a cultural mood that predated him (Ghostbusters 2016 was produced before he became President)
    But let's not pretend that Latinx chick who needs to be rescued from one of Trump's ICE concentration camps so that she can be the saviour of humanities future isn't some of the most eye rollingly woke nonsenses that's so on the nose that there's no way to interpret it as anyting other F Drumpfh propaganda.

Missed the bit where I said we should probably wait til the movie comes out before we know things for sure? :)

Entertainment can be political, sometimes, like Watchmen for example, it can even be great, but for the most part leave it in the subtext (remember subtext?).
    When it's a blatant virtue signal like Captain Marvel which just wears it on its sleeve that’s off-putting. I see a lot of complaining about 'incels crying about Captain marvel or X or Y being 'attacked'. It's performative outrage about a reaction they deliberately courted. Crying about a butt-hurt reaction to your butt-hurt messaging is hilariously hypocritical.
    If you're going to do things like this, don't pretend to be shocked by getting a reaction:

captain-marvel-send-her-home.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738

I see no need for any Terminators movies beyond T2 that neatly closed the loop.
    But let's not pretend that a Terminator story about a Latinx chick who needs to be rescued from one of Trump's ICE concentration camps so that she can be the saviour of humanities future, isn't some of the most eye rollingly woke nonsenses that's so on the nose that there's no way to interpret as anyting other F Drumpfh propaganda.

Just to be clear, you're still asserting *Terminator* is the one bringing too much political baggage....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

They were pro American Exceptionalism, and pro American interference in developing nations (usually threading a War on Drugs plot); stuff like Commando, Predator and whatnot were made during the Reagan era of Contra/Nicaragua, and its overall interference in Latin America (arguably the effects of which are still seen to this day. A lot of people forget just how much the US dabbled in Latin American countries)

Fact was America was still at a highpoint of its power, while international markets didn't count for as much; many films reflected this with an openly jingoistic view of the world. And why would they? America was on top, so that informed the movies they made. Power Fantasies were very much 'in'.

It's easy to look back now on it, shrug and go "simpler times", but blockbusters were no less politically insidious than stuff like "Wolf Warrior 2", the highest grossing movie in China ever & an openly propagandist piece. Eventually you saw a kickback against this mentality as the 80s went on - to the jury I submit ...

Robocop: arguably a politics-first blockbuster, that very much took American Exceptionalism and went "this stinks". But it had cool robots so I guess we didn't care?

Don't get the "Trump Derangement Syndrome", cos TBH I haven't seen any films that openly mock the President. That's just conflating a cultural mood that predated him (Ghostbusters 2016 was produced before he became President)

Missed the bit where I said we should probably wait til the movie comes out before we know things for sure? :)

So pro American Exceptionalism bad, pro far left messaging good? Because you only seem to have a problem with one.

How about neiter in my dumb action blockbuster entertainment?

So pro American Exceptionalism bad, pro far left messaging good? Because you only seem to have a problem with one.

that wasn't the point of his posts at all, he was clearly stating that movies have been political since forever and the "big dumb action movies" were never necessarily exempt.

How about neiter in my dumb action blockbuster entertainment?

Not even remotely the point I was making :) You sniffed at 80s Reagan-era politics as being superficial, whereas there was a clear, political context to movies of that time. It's easy to be relaxed in hindsight, when said era is passed and those cultural markers no longer exist in the zeitgeist or personally affect you.

Point being, art doesn't exist in a vacuum and pretending that ONLY NOW have we blockbusters with a message is false, and disingenuous.

But..

Again.

You're just presuming the plot of Dark Fate, which, ya know, isn't out yet. So all the buzzwords in the world doesn't hide the fact that nobody here has seen the film and are just inserting our biases and presumptions into the final product. I

If we want to, these things can be ignored. I don't care about Commandos politics so ignore them. I like RoboCop's blatant satire, so it enriches the film. Horses for courses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

If it's opening in China / Asia, it won't flop. It really couldn't be any worse than Genisys and in a world where the Transformers franchise continues, you can't be sure of quality vs. box office.

It will fail in China if it is full of feminist tropes, that does not really appeal to the Chinese.

It will fail in China if it is full of feminist tropes, that does not really appeal to the Chinese.

Ah yes, this classic of the genre. I remember hearing it a lot about Captain Marvel right up until had a 90 million dollar opening weekend in China.

Ah yes, this classic of the genre. I remember hearing it a lot about Captain Marvel right up until had a 90 million dollar opening weekend in China.

Well it was not full of feminist crap, have you seen it. As johnny_ultimate said it was very middle of the road when it came to feminist messages, I would be looking at The Last Jedi as more of what they dont like.

Well it was not full of feminist crap, have you seen it. As johnny_ultimate said it was very middle of the road when it came to feminist messages, I would be looking at The Last Jedi as more of what they dont like.

Star Wars isn't big in China either though: if you take a look at the Box Office for EpisodeVII...

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=starwars7.htm

China lags behind the UK, and took slightly more than Germany of all places; a similar story is seen with Rogue One & Solo (though obviously the latter had larger problems across all territories). Episode VII barely took more than ... Terminator Genisys.

China IS a very conservative market, that is true as would most non-Western markets, but what's also true IMO is that it simply doesn't care for Star Wars either - so no, I don't think you can read Last Jedi's performance as indicative towards a backlash. It's still a big Hollywood blockbuster so performs fine, but nowhere near the kind of lopsided success you see here or elsewhere...

edit: Donnie Yen himself theorises that it's simply down to the fact China doesn't have the 40 odd years of nostalgia to draw audiences to theatres: https://screenrant.com/star-wars-movies-china-donnie-yen/

1. What constitutes "feminist messages" in films?
    2. What evidence do you have that "the Chinese" don't like said "feminist messages"?
    3. How can you relate The Last Jedi's poor box office performance in China to "feminist messages"?

You have to see a movie before you can ascertain the level of feminist messages within it.

I'm willing to bet that you think Rogue One is a film with the nebulous "feminist messages" embedded within which did very well in China.

Where are those goalposts going...?

CM is very overtly feminist, which is not the same as being provocative. It's far more so than Ghostbusters, for example. And more to the point, it was certainly perceived to be overtly feminist, by all the usual suspects who have been throwing hissy fits over this movie's trailers, and marketed thusly. So if your logic holds, the opening box office in China should reflect the same assertion.

CM was definitely, absolutely going to tank due to its feminism. Until it didn't, and only then was it decided it must not have been so feminist after all. Abracadabra!

As I say, there is plenty of room for Terminator to fail - the value of the IP is seriously degraded by now, for one, and depicting detention camps could be a sore point in China rn - but whether it does or not, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't already enjoying the huge amount of energy going into wishy thinking ways it should, for its perceived political agenda, by people with definite political agendas.

Looking forward to many more instances of stunts they actually did practically as evidence of CGI overkill.

eldeniro wrote: »
    1. What constitutes "feminist messages" in films?
    2. What evidence do you have that "the Chinese" don't like said "feminist messages"?
    3. How can you relate The Last Jedi's poor box office performance in China to "feminist messages"?

You have to see a movie before you can ascertain the level of feminist messages within it.

I'm willing to bet that you think Rogue One is a film with the nebulous "feminist messages" embedded within which did very well in China.

No, Rouge One was good, I speak Chinese and know the people, Feminist is anything that puts women above men, speaks about how "sexist" men are or shows men in a bad light in order to prop up women, surely you have seen many films and tv shows doing this since 2016 as they are full of these kind of things. I said near the start of this thread I am looking forward to seeing this but if it is too PC it will turn me off, also if it is R rated it might not get released in china at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Feminist is anything that puts women above men, speaks about how "sexist" men are or shows men in a bad light in order to prop up women

That is not feminism by any widely or commonly accepted definition of the word.

That is modern day feminism I am afraid and is the reason most people out side of the far left see it as a bad thing, it is more akinn to Misandry these days than the noble cause it had back in the 50s. Women are already equal and have been for the past two decades. Fewer than one in five women would call themselves a feminist based on UK polls.

No, Rouge One was good, I speak Chinese and know the people, Feminist is anything that puts women above men, speaks about how "sexist" men are or shows men in a bad light in order to prop up women, surely you have seen many films and tv shows doing this since 2016 as they are full of these kind of things. I said near the start of this thread I am looking forward to seeing this but if it is too PC it will turn me off, also if it is R rated it might not get released in china at all.

Doesn't change the numbers that Star Wars just isn't as embedded a franchise in China as other countries; Last Jedi underperformed, but so has ALL the films. Doesn't help that there's not the same 40 years of fandom to draw on (hell, IIRC some Solo promotions in China actually removed references to Star Wars).

As to misandry, that's a canard; we've reached a boiling point in this cycle, where conclusions are drawn, and the evidence backfilled to suit a bias. If you suppose everything is an agenda, then of course you start finding conspiracy, it's McCarthyism in the digital age.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Tell that to today's feminists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Based on some posters in this thread, Terminator 2 would have been too feministy in the present day.

batgoat wrote: »
    Based on some posters in this thread, Terminator 2 would have been too feministy in the present day.

if Terminator 2 came out today you'd have a fair amount of conservatives decrying its anti-paternal message that a boy doesn't need a father and that single mothers are stronger than any force in the known universe

batgoat wrote: »

Tim Burton's Batman is 30 yeas old, and was checking out the sequel, Batman Returns out of nostalgia. Realistically, it's Michelle Pfeiffer's movie as she becomes catwoman, but what struck me was just how aggressively overt it was with exactly the kind of thing only now apparently present in Hollywood: this 1992 film ('simpler times' to use the phrase of someone else) had male characters acting like dumb neanderthals when Pfeiffer walks into scene, with the latter then making clichéd "I am woman, here me roar" (including that very line) remarks before kicking their ass.

Point being: if that film was released today, based on the conclusions presumed over something as milquetoast as Captain Marvel, those outraged by that would go BANANAS. Or is it just the fact Pfeiffer dressed in a S&M fetish costume that ameliorated that angst of misandry (honestly, I'd say it probably is. I'd be lying if I didn't say it was my bag, but her character really is 'militant' and then some)?

Look, I get some people are fed up reading about this topic (and it is off-topic too) - so am I! There's literally 2 separate threads now of whining about SJW/misandry/ between here and the James Bond thread - but IMO it's a valid topic; if people insist it exists, then it's fair game to discuss the whys, hows, and that ... yah know, perhaps it's not the great modern politicisation that some would say it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

This...... This is about Terminators, right? I mean: Sarah Conor, Arnie, Terminators, guns and sh*t blowing up, right?

I have no problem with Sarah Conor being a woman.... If I remember right, she was ALWAYS a woman in the movies, right? :) And she was always badass - Especially after she meets Kyle. Oh. maybe people (either side of argument) have a problem there "Oh, she only became a bad-ass after a man showed her how". No..... She only became a bad-ass after a huge f*cking robot tried to f*cking KILL HER!!! :)

People get their knickers in a twist about both sides of the argument and, to me it all sounds like:

This...... This is about Terminators, right? I mean: Sarah Conor, Arnie, Terminators, guns and sh*t blowing up, right?

I have no problem with Sarah Conor being a woman.... If I remember right, she was ALWAYS a woman in the movies, right? :) And she was always badass - Especially after she meets Kyle. Oh. maybe people (either side of argument) have a problem there "Oh, she only became a bad-ass after a man showed her how". No..... She only became a bad-ass after a huge f*cking robot tried to f*cking KILL HER!!! :)

People get their knickers in a twist about both sides of the argument and, to me it all sounds like:

Nicely said. The way I look at it is as long as a film does not insult a portion of its audience then we are all good which is the reason I like terminator, Alien, Wonder woman and most recently Alita, they are just good movies with bad ass female protagonists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

:D
    Tim Burton's Batman is 30 yeas old, and was checking out the sequel, Batman Returns out of nostalgia. Realistically, it's Michelle Pfeiffer's movie as she becomes catwoman, but what struck me was just how aggressively overt it was with exactly the kind of thing only now apparently present in Hollywood: this 1992 film ('simpler times' to use the phrase of someone else) had male characters acting like dumb neanderthals when Pfeiffer walks into scene, with the latter then making clichéd "I am woman, here me roar" (including that very line) remarks before kicking their ass.

Point being: if that film was released today, based on the conclusions presumed over something as milquetoast as Captain Marvel, those outraged by that would go BANANAS. Or is it just the fact Pfeiffer dressed in a S&M fetish costume that ameliorated that angst of misandry (honestly, I'd say it probably is. I'd be lying if I didn't say it was my bag, but her character really is 'militant' and then some)?

Look, I get some people are fed up reading about this topic (and it is off-topic too) - so am I! There's literally 2 separate threads now of whining about SJW/misandry/ between here and the James Bond thread - but IMO it's a valid topic; if people insist it exists, then it's fair game to discuss the whys, hows, and that ... yah know, perhaps it's not the great modern politicisation that some would say it is. :)

It hurts my brain to ponder how old movies would be received today, maybe its feasible as its about a time travel movie :D but anyhoo. I guess it comes back to a couple of questions , are a % of the traditional audience for certain movies being alienated and if so is it just movie makers calculating that they are acceptable losses because they anticipate more growth from other demographics? At the end of the day people like what they like and have no obligation to buy the next product. Secondly if a TV show or movie goes “woke” does it increase the chances of the show objectively being less good. Or a side point are the movie companies deliberately putting out contentious trailers/info to generate “outrage” so that more people write articles that they wouldn’t have done otherwise in the hope that it puts more bums on seats in the end? What amuses me about the progressive press is that they end up trying to out woke each other and start attacking the movie and actors anyway
    I watched Captain Marvel on a flight recently (so didn’t pay for it ha) , it was grand as far as Marvel movies go, one thing they seem to be doing though is pretending they are breaking new ground when they aren’t. The next Bond be may end up being cookie cutter or it may not who knows.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement