Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To a member of the Traveller Community

Options
  • 18-02-2015 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello again folks. We've got a second AMA this week. Following on from a thread in AH, our member TravellerGirl has agreed to join us for a bigger AMA.

It's not easy being a Traveller - people and society discriminate against you, it's a form of racism we simply don't acknowledge or want to address in Ireland. Anyone will tell you about all the horrible experiences they've had with the Traveller Community, this seems to be a matter of pride for some - I've been guilty of it myself.

But times are changing and one of the true joys of the internet is that we are now able to talk as equals without barriers and Irish people are realising that this simply isn't acceptable.

So, if you have any questions for a lady from the Traveller Community about her life is and her community, please fire away.

It should go without saying, but abuse and racist comments will get nuked with extreme prejudice and people's posting privileges removed. This forum is *MUCH* more strict than After Hours and I am *MUCH* more intolerant of abuse of someone who'd volunteer their time and energy to a thread like this than AH Mods ever will be ;)

Comments

Is it true that Girls from your community generally have no interest in dating a settled person?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Would you not like to live in a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TravellerGirl

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Would you not like to live in a house?

I have lived in a house for the last 8 year on and off. I now live in a caravan beside a house.

I can't speak for all of them but an awful don't. I in general don't. I am a married woman.

Good answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

We read that suicide is higher among the Travelling community that the rest of the population, are Travellers aware of organisations like Samaritans & Aware and if so are they willing to use them ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Do you think this site is too lenient towards people that engage in inflaminatory comments towards members of the travelling community. It strikes me as odd some of the comments people can make without any sanction

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Do you have many non traveller friends?
    Does the constant bad press about travellers depress you?
    As a settled person who unfortunately has a negative view of the travelling community, what message would you like to give to people like me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

How can the state encourage better education opportunities for the traveller community? Would a dedicated education package that follows the child help?
    How can we help a child achieve its potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

I deal with travellers fairly often, and I've never had any trouble. Do you think there's an element of the media that likes to portray a stereotype of traveller or is there a sector/group that are to blame for it?

What did you think of the Nally case?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Are there many Gay and Lesbian travellers in the Irish Travellers Community? and do G/L travellers come across the same type of prejudice in the traveller community as settled people do in theirs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Elly_Welly

I've always been confused by how, although a great deal of travellers are very dedicated Catholics and women in particular value saving themselves for marriage etc, women appear to dress quite revealingly. What is your opinion on this apparent contradiction?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

If you have a house why do you live in a caravan

We read that suicide is higher among the Travelling community that the rest of the population, are Travellers aware of organisations like Samaritans & Aware and if so are they willing to use them ?

Tragically I lost an uncle to suicide. I think that they are becoming more aware of these organisations and I hope that anyone in that situation uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Out of interest, why do you have no interest in marrying outside of the travelling community?

If you have a house why do you live in a caravan

No its my in laws house I live in a caravan beside it.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Out of interest, why do you have no interest in marrying outside of the travelling community?

Because a settled man could leave you at anytime and no other man in the traveller community would look at you.

Elly_Welly wrote: »
    I've always been confused by how, although a great deal of travellers are very dedicated Catholics and women in particular value saving themselves for marriage etc, women appear to dress quite revealingly. What is your opinion on this apparent contradiction?

Travellers are very religious people, they are nothing without their faith. But the only way girls can express theirselvesis by wwearing these clothes. I don't like too much skin on show myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What is your view on how women are treated within the travelling community? Do you see it as oppressive? And if so how would you raise any daughter of yours differently?

Mr Whale wrote: »
    That seems highly prejudiced thinking tbh

Its just the way it is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

What is traveller status and how you do get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Is there any aspects of settled life you wish the travelling community would adopt? What aspects of settled life do you dislike?

sasta le wrote: »
    What is traveller status and how you do get it?

You dont get it. Its just who you are. IItsgoing back generations through families

Mr Whale wrote: »
    Do Travellers openly accept other lesbian and gay Travellers and treat them as equals?

They are becoming more acceptable and I hope that they do get treated equally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

In GENERAL, how do travellers get their income?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Could I become a traveller?

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Do you have many non traveller friends?
    Does the constant bad press about travellers depress you?
    As a settled person who unfortunately has a negative view of the travelling community, what message would you like to give to people like me?

I dont have that many but I will talk to settled people when I ssee them. No it doesnt I just let people say whatever.

I would just like to say please don't judge us all the same. Their is bad ones and unfortunately because of them us good ones are not given a chance. So take the time out and maybe engage with one.

In your mind, is there anything that can bring the Travelling community away from violence as a means of dispute resolution? In my mind this is the primary way the settled community come into contact with the Travelling community, through these battles that take place at significant times such at funerals, and at weddings. We don't hear from/about travellers apart from when that happens. Traveller Academy could be on every week year in, year out (I have to commend it, a brilliant show long overdue), but if you're seeing with your own eyes & hearing from close friends who are eyewitnesses to these battles in your community, a TV show isn't going to change your mind.

I deal with travellers fairly often, and I've never had any trouble. Do you think there's an element of the media that likes to portray a stereotype of traveller or is there a sector/group that are to blame for it?

What did you think of the Nally case?

What is the nallycase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Would a settled girl be accepted if she married a traveller man?

• Advertisement

In your mind, is there anything that can bring the Travelling community away from violence as a means of dispute resolution? In my mind this is the primary way the settled community come into contact with the Travelling community, through these battles that take place at significant times such at funerals, and at weddings.

Now I don't condone that behaviour. Have you ever been in that situation because I can tell you its very scary. Iwish for.people to deal with it in a different way. Violence is not the answer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement