Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To a member of the Traveller Community

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Is cannabis accepted in the traveller community? I used to buy weed off a couple of traveller lads and they liked to get stoned too.

Like I know anything more and you would be totally shunned (cocaine, heroin). I have seen this first hand.

And also, when I was younger I was mates with a traveller and about age 14 we were walking down the road and his uncle and father flew past in a van and smacked him with a stick in the head while driving past. Like a proper smack and he said its because he was friends with the girls, that he wasn't allowed be with girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

I once witnessed a traveller being arrested for handling a neighbours dog and breaking and entering through a side gate of a house. She was driving a brand new Audi A4. The car was towed away, as she had the car for 7 months without taxing it. The dog was immediately returned to the owner.

Tell me this, how do travellers generally make an income to afford such a car, and how she couldn't afford her car tax if she could afford such a car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Do you have any criminal convictions?

Has the promised crackdown on Welfare Fraud effected you or any members of your family?

Do you know anything about Tarmac?

Have you or family members been to England, Italy or Australia recently?

Have you or family members ever driven a Hiace or Transit van?

Do you have a bank account or prefer to deal in Cash only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Because you don't want to get involved in other peoples business. There would be very big feuds if that happened.

This I don't get. Surely criminal activity in general would be reported, no? i.e. you see a traveller robbing someones car. You are saying you would not report it, because they are from the traveller community?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Hi TG,

Please correct me if any information I have here is wrong, its just different things Ive picked up from various tv shows and the like.

Why do travellers find breast feeding disgusting?
    Girls arent allowed to procreate outside of marraige, are boys?
    What would happen if a traveller girl who wasn't married was found out to be having sex?
    Do travellers use contraception?
    You mentioned you were bullied in school, may I ask what was said/done? I went to school with a few travellers and I apologise if this sounds rude but everyone would've been too scared to pick on any of the travellers (due to a reputation of violence among the travelling community), do you think your case was an isolated incident or would many travellers be bullied?
    How prevalent are drugs among the travelling community?
    Travellers are known to be very religious people; however violence and robbery is something strongly associated within the travelling community, things which the CC/the bible do not agree with, do you have any thoughts on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Why don't you answer the tougher questions asked instead of cherry picking the nicer ones?

There is no onus on anyone doing an AMA to answer every question. Just because you can ask doesnt mean the AMA-er has to answer.

Some of the questions are obviously loaded and and buried in negative stereotyping.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Why don't you answer the tougher questions asked instead of cherry picking the nicer ones?

The questions that she is not answering are all about wealth and income, which she knows nothing about. If you don't believe her that's fine, but you can't force her to answer anything she doesn't want to. She is taking the time to do this AMA and some people should be more respectful of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Do you intend to answer all questions posed in this thread?
    What is your level of education and that of your partners?
    What jobs, or sources of income do you and your partner have?
    Aside from direct discrimination that some travelers experience, can you think of any disadvantages inherent with traveler lifestyle? What do you think can be done to eliminate these disadvantages while maintaining the key nomadic principles of travelers.
    What can other people learn from travelers?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Nothing has been answered in 30 mins. Have you gone to hire a PR firm?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

She already answered them on the Pavee Point Thread. Or tried to. And was ganged up on then just like now on this one. Then the thread turned to asking her about her life as a Traveller girl and she gave really great answers to those questions. That's why the AMA was suggested - to continue on from that discussion about females in the Travelling community.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

flanzer wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong. Nothing has been answered in 30 mins. Have you gone to hire a PR firm?

Ay Jaysis, maybe she has more to be doing than answering questions from randomners on the internet 24/7!

Stheno wrote: »
    Ay Jaysis, maybe she has more to be doing than answering questions from randomners on the internet 24/7!

I thought this thread was like 'an audience with'??? I found it on Twitter, and not browsing around here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

flanzer wrote: »
    I thought this thread was like 'an audience with'??? I found it on Twitter, and not browsing around here

It's an "ask me anything" there's no timelimit for the person doing the thread to answer questions, or indeed any requirement for them to answer the questions asked should they chose not to.

Some of these threads run for days

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

hi travellergirl, I have worked in a funfair before and found the only people who actually had manners at these were travellers. they were all thanks miss, I seen the younger ones always say miss or mister it's cute but then saying I know of my cousin has two kids off a traveller and he is a prick. that's just him though, what I heard is traveller men are allowed to cheat as long as they never leave their misses.

is that true for some

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So whatever the source of income, many travelers are very wealthy and doing well for themselves.

Is the traveller culture to flaunt wealth in a kind of "fair play to them, they've done well" type of way?
    Or are they more respected if they are discreet with their wealth ?

Do travelers really speak a different dialect/ language ?

Why do so few travelers join the local GAA club ? But many are in the boxing club.

Thanks for all the answers so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

She cherry picked the questions there too.

Nowhere in the opening post was it identified that this AMA was specifically about females in the travelling community, the intro clearly states that it is about her life and her community.

But people are allowed cherry pick questions on an AMA? She is not REQUIRED to answer everything asked. If you dont like it then dont read the AMA - simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

MrWalsh wrote: »
    But people are allowed cherry pick questions on an AMA? She is not REQUIRED to answer everything asked. If you dont like it then dont read the AMA - simples.

I asked some questions so obviously I will be reading the AMA to see if they were answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Hi.
    Fair play for taking the time to answer a few questions. My one is this;

We hear many stereotypes from people in the settled community, but I noticed in one answer you said 'a settled man could leave you at any time and no traveller man would look at you afterwards', so Im assuming that it is a stereotype that settled men leave their wives? Are there many stereotypes that travellers hold towards people in the settled community in general?

Also, how did the term 'country people' come about? I find it sort of strange calling someone from say Dublin a country person!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Closed for some editing - it'll be back shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Folks, lets make something *VERY* clear here.

TravellerGirl can answer whatever questions she wants to however she wants to. That's how this forum and this AMA process works.

This harassment about income is just that - harassment. No one can answer those sorts of questions about anyone except themselves and to be perfectly honest, it's no one's business but their own. TravellerGirl has already answered the question. It's done so move on.

So that's it, I'm calling a halt to any more questions about finance or earnings or anything else. The question has already been answered and that's good enough for me. If I have to come back and make a similar warning about criminality and violence, there won't be warnings or infractions, there will be bans.

This isn't some sort of excuse for harassment and attempting to dress it up as "we have a right to know" or anything of the sort will be met with a swift virtual kick in the arse off this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Some off-topic and bickering posts have been removed.

If anyone spots a post that they think is inappropriate, please report it rather than replying.

This has the potential to be a really interesting AMA so thank you TravellerGirl for agreeing to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I've heard of arranged marriages among travellers, where the girl has no real choice in the matter - how much truth is there to this?

In what ways do prejudiced attitudes to women, manifest in the community?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

"Ask me Anything but it cant be anything forum"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It says "Ask Me Anything" - it specifically does NOT say "I will Answer Anything."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is Shelta/Cant dying out, or is it still spoken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Dav wrote: »
    It says "Ask Me Anything" - it specifically does NOT say "I will Answer Anything."

But you're censoring the questions being asked.

Believe it or not these are the questions people would love answers to. But as always with travellers, some of whom I know very well and respect greatly, Political correctness takes over

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Dav wrote: »

The point i'm making is of course its the persons prerogative to answer what they want,though threatening bans for users asking ANYTHING is a little bit of a contradiction on the purpose of the forum no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I want six myself but if I have more Iwould be happy. My parents only had 4 kids and my partner has nine siblings.

How do you aim to support six children when many folk in Ireland today are struggling to raise two children?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

She's already answered the income questions though :confused:

Anyway, do you want any kids you have to receive a full education?

Sorry if that's been asked already.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

But you're censoring the questions being asked.

Believe it or not these are the questions people would love answers to. But as always with travellers, some of whom I know very well and respect greatly, P

In all fairness, what would a traveller girl who is barely out of her teens know about how the males make their income, given that presumably they likely don't discuss that kind of thing in detail with their wife's or daughters?

Why not ask her things that she CAN answer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement