Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To a member of the Traveller Community

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What is the nallycase

I assume the poster is talking about this case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_John_Ward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

What age did you get married at? Do you think travellers in general marry too young?

Your writing is very clear and coherent, do you mind me asking what level of education did you receive (up to junior cert, leaving cert etc.)? In your opinion is it difficult for travellers to stay in school past a certain level or age?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TravellerGirl

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Would a settled girl be accepted if she married a traveller man?

Yes she would be. My uncle is married to a settled girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Whats your opinion on marrying pre 18 years of age?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

I remember years ago often seeing travellers being kicked out of shops before they got two feet inside purely because they were travellers. Does this still occur?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Yes she would be. My uncle is married to a settled girl.

So would she now consider herself a traveller or would he consider himself settled or would they both just see themselves as settled + traveller - and will their children be seen as settled or traveller - sorry sounds confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I really enjoyed the recent Norah Casey series where she gave traveller girls with talents a chance to work on their talents where they might not ordinarily have gotten to. Just ordinary girls that happened to grow up in different communities as far as I could see. The artist girl was amazing.

Do you have any particular talents that you feel your background as a traveller has prevented you from pursuing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

What is your opinion on shows such as 'Big Fat Gypsy Wedding' and 'Norah's Traveller Academy'.

Why do some Travellers intentionally move onto vacant sites and not move until monies are paid by the landowners?

Why do some Travellers feel that the state welfare system is to be abused, yet contribute nothing to society?

Why are events such as funerals/weddings/christenings such a flashpoint for violence?

Do you feel that the negative opinion settled people have of ye is anyway warranted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mchubes

What was your experience of school like? Do many travellers live in the same place long enough to get an education? If so do many have settled friends? And if people are moving around alot what would be the most common sources of income?

What is your view on how women are treated within the travelling community? Do you see it as oppressive? And if so how would you raise any daughter of yours differently?

Women don't have the same right as men and I hope that when I have a daughter of age it will all change. And her opinion counts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 mchubes

Are travellers represented by tds? would travellers vote? What is the community's relationship with the guards and healthcare like?

mchubes wrote: »
    What was your experience of school like? Do many travellers live in the same place long enough to get an education? If so do many have settled friends? And if people are moving around alot what would be the most common sources of income?

I loved school until I got bullied.
    Yes they do. I dontnow because you dont really mix.

I don't know because I dontmove around and I also ddont ask people private questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Did you move around a lot when younger and did it have an effect on your education? How is education perceived within the Travelling community? And did you have issues with bullying in school because you come from the travelling community?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

vicwatson wrote: »
    I assume the poster is talking about this case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_John_Ward

That's what I meant, great answers so far.

mchubes wrote: »
    Are travellers represented by tds? would travellers vote? What is the community's relationship with the guards and healthcare like?

I dont think so. I don't vote. The guards will not help you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Does it annoy you that organisations like Pavee Point dont seem to acknowlege that there is a higher than normal instances of crime amongst some sections of the travelling community that tars the community as a whole?

unjedilike wrote: »
    I remember years ago often seeing travellers being kicked out of shops before they got two feet inside purely because they were travellers. Does this still occur?

Yes it does. It happens all the time

vicwatson wrote: »
    Whats your opinion on marrying pre 18 years of age?

Its not for me or my kids in the future.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi TG!

You said you wanted children on the other thread. Is there a a maximum you'd like? Would this differ from the size of your parents family?

Would you use family planning or leave the number of children you will have to nature.

How long have you lived on your site? Would other families come and go often, or is it more of a long term community? Would you often get a Traveller family move in who you didn't know at all or do Travellers tend to move to sites with family they know already there?

MrWalsh wrote: »
    So would she now consider herself a traveller or would he consider himself settled or would they both just see themselves as settled + traveller - and will their children be seen as settled or traveller - sorry sounds confusing!

No they consider themselves settled and traveller. Their kids areboth too.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    Hi TG!

You said you wanted children on the other thread. Is there a a maximum you'd like? Would this differ from the size of your parents family?

Would you use family planning or leave the number of children you will have to nature.

How long have you lived on your site? Would other families come and go often, or is it more of a long term community? Would you often get a Traveller family move in who you didn't know at all or do Travellers tend to move to sites with family they know already there?

I want six myself but if I have more Iwould be happy. My parents only had 4 kids and my partner has nine siblings.

No I live on private ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's a fantastic idea for a thread, & one you should be commended for taking part in, fair play to you. My question to you:

Some of the questions thus far have been great ones, others, not so much. One for example asking about why some travellers felt it ok to abuse the social welfare system, to me seemed to omit the fact that many settled people abuse the social welfare system, undoubtedly for the same reason some traveller folk do. For me, such thinking represents the focal point of why there is discrimination and stereotyping of the traveller community, and probably equally why some travellers have similar disdain for the settled community. It's a clash of sides, with each side sticking to their guns. How do you feel as a society, we might overcome the current stalemate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

No they consider themselves settled and traveller. Their kids areboth too.

I suppose this means that going forward there will be far more integration as their children will mix with both settled and traveller cousins. Do you think that this kind of integration is a good thing?

I really enjoyed the recent Norah Casey series where she gave traveller girls with talents a chance to work on their talents where they might not ordinarily have gotten to. Just ordinary girls that happened to grow up in different communities as far as I could see. The artist girl was amazing.

Do you have any particular talents that you feel your background as a traveller has prevented you from pursuing?

I think that was a good program and a chance for the girls to make something of themselves. No matter what I would want to do I would regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,012 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I dont think so. I don't vote. The guards will not help you at all.

In which ways do the guards not help?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In GENERAL, how do travellers get their income?

Same question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Hi op,How come travellers tend to have large cashflows and drive big new cars,designer clothes etc without being employed? Is there that much of a return in scrap metal collection?

How come travellers also tend to feel oppressed by the state though in reality it is the traveller who chooses to live that way, i.e lets refer to child mortality rates due to living conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Hi there and thank you for providing this opportunity for people to engage.

I have very strong memories of a boy who spent a lot of time in my class in primary school. He and I became very good friends and I was always very sad when he moved on. These happened on and off over a 3-4 year period until his family eventually stopped coming to our school.

It must have been very hard for many young children to have this transient lifestyle. Did you experience this much as a child and would you be comfortable moving around with your own children?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Do you think Norah Casey's programme is more concerned with genuinely helping the ladies (why no men?) or with showcasing her own company's services?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Have you ever heard of cases of arranged or forced marriage? Or even cases where either partner wasn't fully on board?

It never occurred to me before today when I heard someone mention it on the radio.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement