Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To a member of the Traveller Community

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

But you're censoring the questions being asked.

Believe it or not these are the questions people would love answers to. But as always with travellers, some of whom I know very well and respect greatly, Political correctness takes over

The questions have already been asked. There's no need to keep asking them over and over again is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The point i'm making is of course its the persons prerogative to answer what they want,though threatening bans for users asking ANYTHING is a little bit of a contradiction on the purpose of the forum no?

She answered already, no? Whether you or I choose to believe that answer is another thing. Repeatedly asking the same question is badgering however and not at all constructive IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Big Nasty wrote: »
    She answered already, no? Whether you or I choose to believe that answer is another thing. Repeatedly asking the same question is badgering however and not at all constructive IMO.

There have been other questions asked over and over again too but it just seems as though the questions that are shall we say a negative reflection or difficult to answer have been targeted with bans,thats the crux of the problem.

Sure look,I won't darken the door again on this farce.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Big Nasty wrote: »

And in other threads, such as the Midwife or Prison Officer one, we accepted that there were questions they would not be able to answer for confidentiality / work ethic reasons or because it may have future repercussions in their career. And any questions that did touch on sensitive issues within their work lives were asked in a well phrased, respectful manner, which was very much absent from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Why is bare knuckle boxing so popular as a means of settling disputes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

The questions have already been asked. There's no need to keep asking them over and over again is there?

My point is that Dav had threatened to kick people off for asking questions on income (ok already answered), criminality or violence. All of which are important. Kinda pointless if you can't ask specific questions. I myself don't get offended by people asking me anything.

Anyway, to try to keep my post somewhat on topic.....

TG.....in a past life/job I dealt with travellers on a daily basis. I considered some of them good friends, but they would never be what I would call solid friends as they would never hang out with us 'settled' folk on a more than casual basis. It's as if they weren't allowed to or would be frowned upon if they were seen to be friendly with settled people. Does that make sense to you and would you know why that's the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Did you like Brad Pitt in Snatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Neyite wrote: »
    And in other threads, such as the Midwife or Prison Officer one, we accepted that there were questions they would not be able to answer for confidentiality / work ethic reasons or because it may have future repercussions in their career.

Are we really at the stage where we can not ask a section of society how they generally earn a living?

That is utterly ridiculous.

Not going to bother anymore - the question has been asked and we can all come to our own conclusions why it is not being answered.

Suffice to say the conclusion is overwhelmingly negative and no amount of sugar coating or censorship is going to make it any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Are we really at the stage where we can not ask a section of society how they generally earn a living?

That is utterly ridiculous.

Not going to bother anymore - the question has been asked and we can all come to our own conclusions why it is not being answered.

Suffice to say the conclusion is overwhelmingly negative and no amount of sugar coating or censorship is going to make it any different.

It's a little disappointing but no one wants to see the thread locked so please, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I know you're engaged, have you started the wedding planning already?
    Will it be a big wedding?
    Where will you go on honeymoon? Is travelling outside of Ireland something that you are interested in and if so is there anywhere you would love to go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

Have you ever been refused entry or been followed by security in a pub, shop etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Oh, also, what is your opinion on schools that are geared towards teaching Travellers only? Would you prefer a school of this type or a mainstream school for your own children?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

TravellerGirl

Thank you for doing this AMA.
    I've found some answers very enlightening and I'm sorry people tried to derail it with snipes about income etc.

Is education the key to integration?
    Is integration even possible and is integration something you even want?

All I want out of life is to have a happy home and to be able to raise my children well and not to have any serious financial problems. I imagine you are the same.

Do you think settled people could learn anything from travellers?

What annoys you most about settled people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I have never discussed the travelling community with a traveller. I have very strong views on the subject and saw this as a genuine chance to hear 'from the other side' on the main issues that concern me.

Unfortunately, I'm done here now. Nothing to be gained but fair play to TG giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

A question based on my experiences with my neighbours, a very notorious traveller family. One thing that surprises me about them is that they never cook. All the food they eat is takeaway. I've seen inside their house and all the work surfaces are covered in fine china, but there isn't a plate for eating, or knives or forks, or even a saucepan. This is very surprising to me given the traditional role women seem to take in the travelling community and also seeing how house proud they are, keeping their house looking better than mine probably is by comparison.
    Is this common among travelling families, or would it be more likely that women would cook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

mikom wrote: »
    How do you aim to support six children when many folk in Ireland today are struggling to raise two children?

excellent question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Mob rule in here disappoints me so much. I'm sure national media were looking at this thread - what does it say about us boardsies as a community. Apologies TG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

efb wrote: »
    I'm sure national media were looking at this thread

TV3 will probably base a series around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

[/quote]

How you have strong views on the matter "without ever discussing traveller's with a traveller" is comical. People like you are exactly why there is a bad stigma associated. You literally have told us thus far that you are arrogant, ignorant, biased, greedy and misguided in your preconceived notions. The thread is quite FORTUNATE in my opinion to be down a poster with such bad traits.

TG- well done. Most people here don't seem to understand the consequences of the job you undertook. Don't let them annoy you. The guys who are asking about the financial income have preconceived thoughts about exactly what EVERY traveller does for his family.

I have had the pleasure of growing up where there are a huge number of settled traveller's and contrary to popular belief these men and women are fine folk. Sure there is a gurrier here and there but I would have caused more antI social problems than most of the traveller's in my area.

It's very easy for people to target traveller's (just as this thread proves) and often times it is so biased it makes me sick.

I remember a group of traveller's that used to come once a year for two weeks to my road. They used camp up near a little bridge. All the men spent their time working with local farmers and the women spent the days cooking and cleaning. Basically everyone contributed. And as I remember it, these were the two weeks you were guaranteed not to go hungry- for food or fun. Tea was drank late into every night and stories shared.

Anybody attacking TG or anyone else in here should be ashamed of themselves. This is a rare opportunity so fair play to Dav and TG and anybody involved in setting it up.

I often wished I was born into the community myself. I know I was born with a drop of a nomads blood because of the traveling I do. I know that may sound odd but in my experience traveller's are decent, honest, respectful, hard working, devout, family orientated, trustworthy, vocal and among other fine attributes, above all else, proud people.

Again, much respect TG. Good luck

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

TG, fair play to you for doing this AMA. I've a lot of respect for anyone who's willing to be honest about being a traveller in Ireland nowadays, especially considering the discrimination that can and does go on. I've worked in places near halting sites, and I've never had an issue with any of the people from there coming into us, and I'm friends with a couple of girls about my sister's age (16/17 or so). One thing I've noticed is that a lot more of them are getting their Leaving Cert and going on to do PLC courses in the likes of childcare. I was talking to one of the mothers and she said that she was insisting that all of her kids finished school before they got a job or got engaged. Do you think that it's something that's happening more often in the community, or is it just that I'm only seeing a small section of people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hi TG. We met over on the other thread. I've a question about culture and heritage.

A few years ago myself and my partner were invited to the home of a prominent traveller to take part in an evening of music and song, which was being recorded for radio broadcast. I met loads of really interesting people from both settled and traveller backgrounds, and a great night was had by all. Anyway, over the course of the evening I got talking to one old man who had made his living as a coppersmith. He is now involved in the passing on of this tradition to young traveller men, with great success. Where he used to travel around tinkering and mending, his students (although he looked at me funny when I described him as a teacher!) now make ornamental pieces for sale. Now, no more than I'd expect settled irish people to take an active interest in traditional music, irish language, or Gaelic games, I wouldn't expect every traveller I meet to be into traditional crafts etc. I was wondering if you, or your family, have a history in the traditional trades, and if you do, does anybody still carry it on?

On a side note, my mother's family used to be visited yearly by the same travelling family. They'd stay on the family land for a few weeks in the summer, doing odd jobs around the place, and move on. I had a few photos on the night, from somewhere in the late 60's. As soon as I brought them out a gang of women took them, and could come back ten minutes later with names for everybody in the picture. Fascinating stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I'm sorry folks, TravellerGirl has asked to stop this thread and I can't say I blame her.

It's a real shame that so many people felt they had to spoil it and make her feel so unwelcome and I'm sorry I wasn't able to help stamp that nonsense out sooner. I think we've all lost out on what could have been a brilliant discussion.

But on behalf of myself and the rest of the site, I want to extend my sincere thanks to her for taking it on in the first place and for the time she's spent on the site over the last few days dispelling myths, representing both herself and her community so well and providing those of us who were interested with a unique opportunity to hear from a person who's culture and background is quite different from the rest of us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement