Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To a member of the Traveller Community

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Elly_Welly

Have you ever met someone who married their cousin? If so, was the topic of genetic issues raised?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fair play to you for coming on and doing this. It's properly sticking your neck out as has already been evidenced in this thread is leaving yourself open to some seriously misguided opinions. Some of your answers have also been quite insightful into the overall traveller culture and why some attitudes are the way they are. It doesn't mean they're right, but they're not unreasonably held attitudes either.

The kinds of prejudices that exist in the settled community about travellers are likewise reflected in the traveller community about settled people, such as not trusting a settled man to stay, not trusting Gardai, etc etc.

What do you think are the biggest barriers at present preventing travellers and settled people from having some form of harmony instead of the constant tension and dislike on both sides of the fence?

What could travellers do to improve the situation and what could settled people do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Elly_Welly wrote: »
    Have you ever met someone who married their cousin? If so, was the issue of genetic issues raised?

Settled people marry their cousins. There is no legal or medical restriction on people marrying first cousins in Ireland.

There is information on consanguinity rules here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/getting_married/legal_prerequisites_for_marriage.html

The rules are no different for travellers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mchubes

Do you have friends or family who move around? how often would it be normal for people to move? When people do move would one family do it at a time or would it be a case of a larger extended family moving at once? Did the school ever do anything about you being bullied?

Thanks for all the answers by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Elly_Welly

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Settled people marry their cousins. There is no legal or medical restriction on people marrying first cousins in Ireland.

There is information on consanguinity rules here:

The rules are no different for travellers!

Yes, but marriage between cousins is a more prevalent phenomenon among travellers than the settled community in Ireland. Also, I'm not talking about it from a legal perspective, but want to know if anyone raised concerns regarding possible genetic repercussions

• Advertisement

How come travellers also tend to feel oppressed by the state though in reality it is the traveller who chooses to live that way, i.e lets refer to child mortality rates due to living conditions.

Yeah but the state can't really operate on an 'our way or the highway' kind of basis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

mchubes wrote: »
    Yeah but the state can't really operate on an 'our way or the highway' kind of basis

Not really,the state puts in the general requirements for a standard level of living,if the travelling community choose to live below those conditions then they cant complain as the wont avail of what's offered to society as a whole.

Not really,the state puts in the general requirements for a standard level of living,if the travelling community choose to live below those conditions then they cant complain as the wont avail of what's offered to society as a whole.

But its a standard level for settled people and fits into the settled way of living, there were travellers long before there was an irish state, I don't know enough about whats currently in place but there should be a sub department for healthcare, education and so on with travellers in mind as different things are required for a different lifestyle. Now this might already be the case I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TravellerGirl

In which ways do the guards not help?

We were entry to a pub before and we called the guards and when they came they took sides with the owner not us. When we went to speak to the guards they got ignorant and asked us what do we want.

The Peanut wrote: »
    Hi there and thank you for providing this opportunity for people to engage.

I have very strong memories of a boy who spent a lot of time in my class in primary school. He and I became very good friends and I was always very sad when he moved on. These happened on and off over a 3-4 year period until his family eventually stopped coming to our school.

It must have been very hard for many young children to have this transient lifestyle. Did you experience this much as a child and would you be comfortable moving around with your own children?

I like moving around myself but woth my owns I would only move around in the summer holidays.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of cases of arranged or forced marriage? Or even cases where either partner wasn't fully on board?

It never occurred to me before today when I heard someone mention it on the radio.

I dont think that happens anymore. I havent heard of it anyways.

Elly_Welly wrote: »
    Have you ever met someone who married their cousin? If so, was the topic of genetic issues raised?

Yes an awful lot of my cousins are related and married. No their children was born perfectly healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Hi Traveller Girl, fair play to you for coming on here, it is giving real insight on your community. It's very easy miss one question out of all the ones put to you but can I ask again how, generally, do most travellers earn an income?

mchubes wrote: »
    Do you have friends or family who move around? how often would it be normal for people to move? When people do move would one family do it at a time or would it be a case of a larger extended family moving at once? Did the school ever do anything about you being bullied?

Thanks for all the answers by the way.

No they generally leave it to the summer. They usually go in groups.
    No they didnt . I was the only traveller in the school so it was bad.

Hi Traveller Girl, fair play to you for coming on here, it is giving real insight on your community. It's very easy miss one question out of all the ones put to you but can I ask again how, generally, do most travellers earn an income?

I don't know because I don't ask. Thats private business

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

(this isn't about me, someone I know of).
    what do you think of a settled girl purposely getting themselves pregnant with a traveller she was never in a relationship with "just for the money" and with hopes of getting a traveller title? Is it accepted or do you find it disrespectful?

I suppose this means that going forward there will be far more integration as their children will mix with both settled and traveller cousins. Do you think that this kind of integration is a good thing?

Yes thats true. I think it is because iits giving an insight to both worlds

What kinds of things do you like to do to relax?

I like to go to the gym, go for walks, read a book, mess around on the internet, go to cinema/theatre, out for dinner, watch telly etc... What kinds of things do you like to do?

SMJSF wrote: »
    (this isn't about me, someone I know of).
    what do you think of a settled girl purposely getting themselves pregnant with a traveller she was never in a relationship with "just for the money" and with hopes of getting a traveller title? Is it accepted or do you find it disrespectful?

I find that disrespectful to be honest. Shes not gonna be accepted, if the child is his then it will be..

I dont know why anyone will do that. She won't get no traveller title

What kinds of things do you like to do to relax?

I like to go to the gym, go for walks, read a book, mess around on the internet, go to cinema/theatre, out for dinner, watch telly etc... What kinds of things do you like to do?

I like walking, I use to be a big reader.
    I use the internet all day everyday its my life haha.
    I like going cinemas but my fiance don't like them. I like relaxing watching a film with a chinese and a load of snacks with my fiance.
    I like going for dinner too.

We are all the same just too different communities.

• Advertisement

sasta le wrote: »
    Could I become a traveller?

No. Your parents, grandparents etc have to be travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

How can some travellers afford €100,000 cars without actually having employment? How do travellers make their money, I know that's a general question but I've never worked with one and I've had a lot of varying jobs.

Thank you.

I like walking, I use to be a big reader.
    I use the internet all day everyday its my life haha.
    I like going cinemas but my fiance don't like them. I like relaxing watching a film with a chinese and a load of snacks with my fiance.
    I like going for dinner too.

We are all the same just too different communities.

Very similar alright!! Actually the internet has squashed some of my reading, its very easy to just lose time to the internet.

Do you drink alcohol much? What about nightclubs/discos - do you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Hi Traveller Girl :)

How do you feel about TV3 station? Do you feel that they create negative/positive attention towards travellers?

Would you watch their programmes about Travellers?

Thank you!

nibtrix wrote: »
    What age did you get married at? Do you think travellers in general marry too young?

Your writing is very clear and coherent, do you mind me asking what level of education did you receive (up to junior cert, leaving cert etc.)? In your opinion is it difficult for travellers to stay in school past a certain level or age?

I'm not married yet, I'm living with my fiance. Some do andsome wait.

I only went as far as first year but I then attended yyouthreachfrom tthe age of 17 to 19. I was always good at school a proper scholar haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Really enjoying this thread.
    Thanks for answering questions.

What do you think stops the well behaved travellers from reporting the criminal element among the community.
    I feel this would go a good way towards increasing acceptance that not all travellers are criminals.

DeltaWhite wrote: »
    Hi Traveller Girl :)

How do you feel about TV3 station? Do you feel that they create negative/positive attention towards travellers?

Would you watch their programmes about Travellers?

Thank you!

I don't watch it because I haven't got the channel lol. I don't watch tv.

_Brian wrote: »
    Really enjoying this thread.
    Thanks for answering questions.

What do you think stops the well behaved travellers from reporting the criminal element among the community.
    I feel this would go a good way towards increasing acceptance that not all travellers are criminals.

Because you don't want to get involved in other peoples business. There would be very big feuds if that happened.

I don't watch it because I haven't got the channel lol. I don't watch tv.

I just found recently that TV3 have a live player on the internet, so I watch it there now!

• Advertisement

Very similar alright!! Actually the internet has squashed some of my reading, its very easy to just lose time to the internet.

Do you drink alcohol much? What about nightclubs/discos - do you go?

Oh tell me about it I'm on it all day. I don't drink it much I don't like it. It causes too much trouble and health problems. I dont go to them at all too much trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement