Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Gales/Strong Winds January 8th - 10th

• 06-01-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭amandstu

Would I be right to say that whenever we get an Atlantic storm that Scotland nearly always gets it a lot worse than we do along the West Coast of Ireland?

If so , what is the reason for it ? Just that they are further North?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It all depends of the track of the low. Most lows track close to or north of Scotland. The area south of the central part of the low gets the strongest winds, which often puts Scotland in the firing line. Winds are typically weaker here because usually we are further south of that point, since most lows track well to our north.

We get our most severe storms when the storm track is more southerly than usual, like last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Going to be a double whammy of exceptional weather hitting Scotland early Friday and again early Saturday

Some very high winds for northern half of Ireland too.

Also increasing chance the first low will take a more southerly track.

Wouldn't be surprised to see this ensemble to be shown on the morning output

gens-12-1-30.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I live on fairly exposed high ground on the edge of Glasgow so am planning to batten down the hatches for the next two nights. Even last night I was woken a few times by the sounds of bottles and cartons blowing out of my recycling bags which are out for collection this morning. I now have to go outside to try to find everything that's blown out before I go to work...

Orange warning for Donegal. Gusts up to 120 km/h on the coast.
    STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Donegal

Southwest to west winds with mean speeds of 50 to 75 km will gust 90 to 120 km/h
    Issued:
    Thursday 08 January 2015 09:00
    Valid:
    Thursday 08 January 2015 18:00 to Friday 09 January 2015 06:00

Matches the latest GFS. Northern Scotland in for a real walloping in places.

21-289PUK_elm7.GIF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Typical, just as I get back to London

Doesn't look like anything spectacular by NW coastal standards but considering how quiet it's been this autumn/winter for storms I'd still love to be back home for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

10887530_10101491620976666_3552247792364796444_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

WV image shows that a dry slot has developed near the core of the low in the last couple of hours.

334112.png

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Could this beast change course and go more southerly? Even a 100 mile shift southwards would bring violent storm 11 winds to much of the north of Ireland

legomaniac wrote: »
    Could this beast change course and go more southerly? Even a 100 mile shift southwards would bring violent storm 11 winds to much of the north of Ireland

It's too late for any kind of significant shift at this stage.

For almost everywhere, the strongest winds won't be tonight from this low but will be early Saturday morning as a cold front passes over the country.

39-289PUK_ejg3.GIF

maybe replacing Northern Ireland with Ulster in the thread title would be better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

maybe replacing Northern Ireland with Ulster in the thread title would be better?

Yes for the Donegal lads..unlikely to affect anywhere else I presume.

Recent gust to 50kt at Roches Point

MACE HEAD GALWAY(A) SW 37 Gust 50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

How bad will Scotland get hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The wind has picked up a good bit here in north meath, considering we had not a breeze today.

Belmullet upto 60mph

BELMULLET(A) S 40 Gust 52

Vain wrote: »
    How bad will Scotland get hit?

Northwest Scotland likely to see gusts in exposed locations to around 100/110mph

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

On north shore of Galway Bay here. I have been following things closely in the FI thread and paying close attention to what the regulars such as Maq have to say but I must say this low is producing much stronger gusts than I was expecting given the northerly track. Just watched a section of gutter getting peeled off the parish hall. Can only imagine what its like in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Picking up now in Castlebar, gust of 74.3 km/hr there, are we still looking at the strongest gusts around midnight?

A bit windier than expected on the west coast.

Scotland must be prepared for a violent storm

Belmullet 41 Gust 60

111kph

Xenji wrote: »
    Picking up now in Castlebar, gust of 74.3 km/hr there, are we still looking at the strongest gusts around midnight?

For Castlebar, the worst of the winds from this will be in the next hour of so, further north on the Donegal coast it will be around midnight. But there will be strong winds tomorrow afternoon and again early Saturday morning which could at times be a bit stronger than you're getting there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just had a gust of 60 mph in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Stronger winds than anticipated (if so) may be due to rapid pressure falls more than gradient alone, but the low continues to track well to the north and this tendency may soon be replaced by a shift in the violent gusts closer to the track in the Malin Head area then into western Scotland. One analysis that I just saw had a 17 mb pressure drop in the central pressure over a six hour period from 986 mb at 12z to 969 mb at 18z, probably it has now reached 958 mb (21z). As stated previously in the thread, more widespread strong gusts are possible tomorrow night as that feature will continue to intensify as it approaches Ireland, albeit never reaching the full intensity of tonight's system, but that full intensity would be felt in Scotland around midnight to 0300h, but possibly also in parts of north Donegal. Peak gusts likely to hit 70 knots at Malin Head and 85 knots in south Hebrides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Brought the dog for a long walk in Galway...bad idea. Windy and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Miserable night in Waterford but only gusting upto 70kph thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Very windy in Salthill, Galway. The traffic lights are shaking, having seen that since last February!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Strongest gust at 2100 is 54kts at Belmullet.

Strongest gust at 2100 is 54kts at Belmullet.

Yep, in line with the models showing it peaking around 9pm on the west coast and around 3-4 hours later on the north coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

10 min mean currently 21 kt here, after peaking at 22 kt. High gust of 40 kt at 9.10 pm. My highest recorded gust since... yesterday. :P

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Certainly looks like a stingjet on wv imagery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Oh wow! now some serious gusts in Castlebar!

Advertisement