Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gales/Strong Winds January 8th - 10th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

well if your up, you will hear some heavy showers against your window in the next couple of hours. after that its much colder but brighter for tomorrow, however winds will remain strong with gale force gusts, perhaps just not as strong as this afternoon but feeling raw.

Sometimes insomnia can be a blessing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Xenji, are you noticing them gusts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Cold front will be moving in the NW soon. 2am below

3hr-rain.gif?0002

Met.ie radar is abysmal for the NW and never give an accurate picture. Best to use met office radar if you're checking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Getting some growling gusts now up to 45 kt. They disappear for a couple of minutes only to come back again.

New Moon

Xenji, are you noticing them gusts?

Indeed, they are getting continuously stronger and very sustained with no lulls, strongest of the year so far and look like getting stronger, makes you love living where we do :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Strong gusts here on Galway bay. From the forecasts it looks like we are in for a another week of this at least.

Not sure about anyone else in the west, but its very nasty in Castlebar right now, sustained high winds howling against the house.

Not sure about anyone else in the west, but its very nasty in Castlebar right now, sustained high winds howling against the house.

Nothing too serious in Galway so far, stronger gusts very isolated, but hearing a lot of 'lasso' type whirly sounds outside.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Some fair gust tonight and last night in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Xenji wrote: »
    Indeed, they are getting continuously stronger and very sustained with no lulls, strongest of the year so far and look like getting stronger, makes you love living where we do :D

If you like these storms then your gonna have to come out and visit my location, extreme gusts at times. Even the sheltered side of the house is getting a battering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Cold front will be coming in fast

1pm today
    ECM0-0.GIF?09-0

1pm Tomorrow
    ECM0-24.GIF?09-0

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

very gusty hear cork city south

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i'm happy to hear the wind howling here in cork city, it's been too quiet this winter

The latest satellite picture shows the divide between the mild air, the cold front itself, and the wintery showers behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

yup same here (~20 miles east of you )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Seems to have calmed down in Castlebar but maybe because I am at the back of the house and I grew up in achill where wind noise is just a fact of life you learn to sleep though. Perhaps that's why I sleep through anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Do ye think we will get a good squall line with this cold front as it pushes through?
    I was up in Belfast earlier temp read 15c mad that temp could drop so fast they saying snow for tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Does anyone know the speed of the wind going through north Dublin at the moment??? My boyfriend has to drive to wicklow in a smart car that's on loan from the garage in this wind!

Wind speed neither increasing nor decreasing here over the last hour. Wild enough with a thick drizzle blowing around.

Current barometer reading and trend:

334333.PNG

New Moon

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i'm happy to hear the wind howling here in cork city, it's been too quiet this winter

same here .

As Mr Neil Diamond would say...

'' It's a beautiful noise
    And it's a sound that I love
    And it makes me feel good
    Just like a hand in a glove
    Yes it does, yes it does
    What a beautiful noise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

A nice howling wind passing through here (Dromahair) at the moment..love the sound through the trees. So often I miss the fun being fairly sheltered, but not tonight!

Sleep tight folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Rain has arrived from the cold front in louisburgh co. Mayo,very squally winds but nothing I ain't used to.

If the TV weather forecasts did more about the Jet Stream it would make their forecasts a lot more informative for a lot more people. That satelite image sums it up beautifully.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Seems to have calmed down in Castlebar but maybe because I am at the back of the house and I grew up in achill where wind noise is just a fact of life you learn to sleep though. Perhaps that's why I sleep through anything.

The gusts have actually got far more severe in the last 20 mins, this sort of weather has never scared me due to how used we are to it, have a friend down from Cavan and he has not seen the likes that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

1EC512C420BE4240AB91E2C620253CBE-0000324468-0003715032-00800L-7CDA856F815D40B8B496C5A9010D27A4.jpg

Looking like the start of a squall line.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Well I suppose the squall line just arrived, went from breezy and dry to very windy and rain pelting hard against the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Twice today the dog house has been pushed across the driveway,has been known to move before but not nearly as far,and all this with 2 cement blocks weighing it down.
    Weather station is still down but serious gusts in south easy Kerry,surprised i still have power.

'Squall' just passed here, was pretty crap to be frank, but a few squally gusts above 40 kts. Temp taking a sudden dive now in its wake.

334334.PNG

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Ya it was a bit crap I was posting as it happened and then it just died, gust of 38 mph, but anyway the temp has gone off a cliff, down 4 degrees in 35 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Plenty of showers coming after the squall.
    Could be interesting if the temps continue to drop.

Advertisement