Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gales/Strong Winds January 8th - 10th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Met Eireann were on local radio in Galway at 1.30pm and said the West is going to get the worst of the winds this evening and tonight

I think i'll give the Sportsgrounds a miss for the game tonight so!

Nothing too out of the ordinary here, windy but mild.

Looking at the short range forecast though it looks like the winds ease over the next couple of hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Feels like im about to take off in Stepaside..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yellow warning seems to have been dropped by Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

National weather warning has disappeared from met.ie, would have it valid until tomorrow morning as winds don't look like abating that much overnight.
    Edit: beaten to it by adox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Today's winds never warranted a national weather warning in the first place. What Ireland is experiencing today is normal winter weather. Met E are being very sensible with their forecasts and not allowing hype to take over. There is a lot of hype on social media about this massive storm next week also...It causes stress and worry for many people and judging by latest charts and the excellent analysis by Maq and others on here, it's already being downgraded. By Wednesday next week we will have a windy day at most. Sorry for my rant but it annoys me when the media and the public hype events up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

legomaniac wrote: »
    Today's winds never warranted a national weather warning in the first place. What Ireland is experiencing today is normal winter weather. Met E are being very sensible with their forecasts and not allowing hype to take over. There is a lot of hype on social media about this massive storm next week also...It causes stress and worry for many people and judging by latest charts and the excellent analysis by Maq and others on here, it's already being downgraded. By Wednesday next week we will have a windy day at most. Sorry for my rant but it annoys me when the media and the public hype events up....

GFS(P) Shows a monster storm for next Wednesday,so a lot more than a windy day if it verifies. It's still too far away at this stage but we need to keep an eye on it. Come Sunday evening we will have a better idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Today's winds never warranted a national weather warning in the first place. What Ireland is experiencing today is normal winter weather....

I disagree.

The windspeeds experienced in West Limerick today had potential to cause small damage.

For example, I added additional tie-downs on the childerens trampoline and it was well worth it. I neglected to tie down the slide and it got moved.

A warning issued is exactly that. Its warning of conditions reaching or exceeding a particular threshold. It serves a valid purpose to issue such a warning so people may take appropriate action e.g. secure outdoor equipment etc...

On the road today I was aware of the conditions and driving appropriately. Atoubd a bend I met a branch lying across the road. It wasn't huge but was the width of the road and too big to safely drive over. No big deal to check overhead, pop on hazard lights and exit vehicle to remove said obstacle.

While I follow the weather forum on boards.ie, many thousands and thousands of people don't. So the warning by Met Eireann advising of the expected windspeeds was warranted. Forewarned is forearmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

adox wrote: »
    Yellow warning seems to have been dropped by Met Eireann.
    Lumi wrote: »

Are you sure? It does mean someone has to change the bulb? :p

I must be the only one here hoping for this weather system to pass. As a motorcyclist who has to drive long distance this weekend, I'm none to happy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭teddybones

94 kph in Wicklow town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I must be the only one here hoping for this weather system to pass. As a motorcyclist who has to drive long distance this weekend, I'm none to happy at the moment.

I always take the side fearing's off in this weather always helps a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Finally got some some decent gusts here in Newport, Mayo. Things have picked up a fair bit in the last few hours.
    The wheelie bin didn't budge in the last few days but its on its side at the moment, and I'm not going out until it calms down to pick it up.
    So next Wednesday could be a monster storm? Think I'll move back to the downstairs bedroom if that develops, the joys of a former house.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Frequent 100kmph gusts here, haven't experienced anything like this here before. Thank god its mostly dry and at a leafless time of year.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Supercell wrote: »
    Frequent 100kmph gusts here, haven't experienced anything like this here before. Thank god its mostly dry and at a leafless time of year.

What location?

Using a mobile I can't see if you have a location listed as you would see on a desktop or laptop display.

They are strong gusts. I was out up the hill earlier today doing some work and the 30km/h sustained winds with gusts of > 40km/h made it interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Tactical wrote: »
    What location?

Using a mobile I can't see if you have a location listed as you would see on a desktop or laptop display.

They are strong gusts. I was out up the hill earlier today doing some work and the 30km/h sustained winds with gusts of > 40km/h made it interesting :)

It says Loughlinstown

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Be careful anyone driving out there - Came down the M4/M6 earlier (Dublin to Athlone ) and it was hair raising stuff. Car had a mind of it's own where it wanted to be on the road :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Today's winds never warranted a national weather warning in the first place. What Ireland is experiencing today is normal winter weather.

Where I live (North Wicklow), it wasn't normal winter weather. My electricity was off for most of the afternoon (I can't remember the last time we had a power cut). A fence panel in my back garden snapped. Several roads in the area were blocked this evening, due to fallen trees and power lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Have to agree. Crosswind in a car are notice compared to what you would get on a bike. Remember the pain year ago in my yammy tzr125. Thing was like a plastic bag when the wind was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2137 update from met eireann....squall line on the way....hopefully

Staying very windy tonight with west to southwest winds gusting 90 to 110 km/h. Patchy rain to begin but a band of heavy rain will extend southeastwards with some heavy thundery downpours possible as well as hail. The rain will clear to scattered showers later tonight or early tomorrow morning, wintry or thundery in the northwest. Southwesterly winds will stay strong to gale force and veer westerly later. It will be very mild early tonight but it will turn much colder with the clearance and temperatures will fall to between 1 and 5 degrees with frost towards dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Was out wheeling a buggy at about 4.40pm today and it was almost taken off down the street with the wind - was a bit scary to be honest.

My father in law is flying home tomorrow at 5pm, how likely is it that his flight will be affected? I know the weather warning is only until 6am at the moment. Let's just say I would really like him to be on his flight! :D

• Advertisement

Shannon airport tops the 2200 reports with a gust of 52Knots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The sustained winds sound pretty strong here in galway...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Crazy winds here in the hills above Kilmacanogue & Bray. Not getting much sleep tonight by the sounds of things :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭leinad

Power cut in rathdrum

Winds on the increase here in Castlebar once again after a lull of about 3 hours. this is ahead of a cold front/squall line which will move west-east across the country. it will produce some big gusts along with heavy showers (thundery in the NW).

Its a justified level 2 in north Mayo. Really picked up in the last 4 hours. Sustained winds are very strong, SW direction intensifies it with the channel created by the hills behind us. Some of the strong gusts sound like thunder rolling across the roof.

Winds on the increase here in Castlebar once again after a lull of about 3 hours. this is ahead of a cold front/squall line which will move west-east across the country. it will produce some big gusts along with heavy showers (thundery in the NW).

Any idea when it will start to ease?

well if your up, you will hear some heavy showers against your window in the next couple of hours. after that its much colder but brighter for tomorrow, however winds will remain strong with gale force gusts, perhaps just not as strong as this afternoon but feeling raw.

I'm only 7 miles from Castlebar and its really strong as I type. Probably be with you in 3 mins or so.

• Advertisement

Note the cold front just off the NW coast now

Advertisement