Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gales/Strong Winds January 8th - 10th

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Looks cool on radar.

rYZWADU.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The squall line was hardly noticed down in Limerick. It looks more severe towards the North East.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dead calm now besides the odd strong infrequent gust, big change to how it has been since about morning time Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Wind howling here in West Limerick.

Doesn't sound as bad as midnight was but still fairly nasty.

Am about to head out in to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Plenty of wind still and the showers are starting now in the NE.

• Advertisement

A little over 500 premises reported without power around Newtowncunningham, Co. Donegal.

Power estimated to be restored approx 5.45 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Gust of 63 knots at Malin Head on 04:00 reports. Not too shabby.

Meanwhile "squall" has passed through here without incident.

0430 West Limerick

Winds have definitely slackened.

Wet with heavy drizzle confused in direction, swirling.

9°C

Will update on my journey if anything interesting crops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A wild night here in the Kerry mountains, to be endured rather than enjoyed as by all sensible old ones. Waiting to see if it eases enough so I can get out safely for supplies. Wish you young ones would enjoy doing for us, I really do! Ah well!

Conditions appear to have eased considerably since midnight.

Reasonable amount of small debris from trees and hedgerows. The odd bush sticking out hete and there. The biggest thing of note is the amount of water lying on the roads this morning. With the so far consistent light rain that situation is likely to worsen before it improves.

• Advertisement

Driving Eastwards from West Limerick, road conditions on the main roads and M7 are ok.

Its still quite windy and while the road surface is wet, it is no longer raining.

Car thermometer is reporting 7°C.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Temp has dropped to 2.8C from a high of 10.9C at 01.16, we have just reached negative dew points here, I have heard some hail on the roof mabey I'll have some fluffy stuff soon!

Still squally up here; South Kerry. There will be trees down after last night and we are way off the road and feeling not good so will stay home today after all and admire the skies as I reel around tending the dogs and getting coal etc in....would hate to end up in A and E... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Hail showers here too in Achill and it actually seems more blustery than earlier.

sunbeam wrote: »
    Hail showers here too in Achill and it actually seems more blustery than earlier.

I checked met and they say gusts up to 110 this morning and wintry showers on high ground so this one is going nowhere! Was looking forward to Mizen Head etc but it will be rather breezy out there! Discretion is by far the better part of valour,, and yes the wind is rising again here now too after a lull.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

At this point Wednesday night still looking quite windy and my suggestion is that we allow this thread to run through the weekend, assess the storm potential around Sunday afternoon or evening (for mid-week) and start a thread on that topic at that time. Just a heads up that it would probably be a bit confusing to readers to have two threads going but I don't think the mid-week storm should be a continuation, so will ask anyone interested to hold off on starting a new thread (this one would be locked as we enter the new thread discussion). If there is high model consensus later today (12z runs) perhaps we could move this up to an earlier transition.

Having said that, I don't expect winds today to change much from the current intensity but one or two gusts could approach 60 knots in exposed locations. It's probably a general level one, isolated level two situation. Tomorrow should be less windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Extractor chimney down to the rear of my property north Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Derelict buildings in west Belfast partially collapse in strong winds

B6-8eOQIQAEGm88.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭snowinwinter

oh my gosh. Nothing like that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

oh my gosh. Nothing like that here.

h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mace head 52 knots on the 0000 reports. expect some more strong gusts tonight(sunday night).

Advertisement