Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Potential for Snow Showers this Week, 8-12th Dec

• 06-12-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tonight, Sunday, Monday

Higher ground of the northwest -- some snow showers by the early hours of the morning with some accumulations locally. Sleet, hail to low levels.

Tuesday onward

Hi all, been a while:D

This has been developing gradually over the last few days and finally the first real blast of winter is nearly upon us. The first incursion is tonight but will be interrupted on Monday and Tuesday by slightly milder air.

From Tuesday evening, a long with brisk winds, a polar airmass will become established in the west and quickly spread countrywide overnight a long with heavy showers from the northwest. Initially these will be mostly rain and hail but through the night that quickly changes and they turn to sleet/snow countrywide by morning driven right across the country on a very strong or gale force wind. See this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057338060

A long with the risk of snow - frost and ice will become harsher in the midlands and east. Frost not an issue on west coasts due to the strong onshore wind.

It's pretty much certain that this set up lasts from Tuesday evening until at least Friday night. Snow accumulations are still a bit early to speculate but in the northwest and north I think it is very likely to low levels particularly overnight.

One thing you will really notice is the wind chill which will be well below freezing throughout even though temperatures will be around 1 - 6c nationally.

Not pleasant to be out in but it may be very pleasant to look at :)

w031224a130.jpg

More later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Am I correct in saying a lot of Ulster and parts of Leitrim and N Sligo could get dustings from tomorrow afternoon and evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

THIS.. This is what we want to see in a few days - will likely change as in FI but could deliver widespread snow...

post-2839-0-01947300-1417891743.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wahoo!, winter at all last, all aboard the fantasy island express choo chooooooooooooo!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

From Matt Hugo twitter-EC ENS reviewed and despite quite a lot of cold scenarios for next weekend 12z ECM and Control both cold outliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sigmadp2

My feeling is.... that of the Met office

Westerly ZONAL.

I would love snow..... no sign of any general snow... from the north or east... yet.

Cold but not bitter cold for the coming week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Met eireann have a snow and ice warning issued for the northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's still up in the air (pardon the pun) beyond Saturday.

I'd watch for the orientation of the jet stream which will be key to prolonging the cold weather. We have already seen some minor changes in favour over night but we need to see more.

Of a bit more interest is the smaller (but increasing) risk of something a bit bigger in terms of snow fall occurring on Thursday. Two models picking up a developing embedded shortwaves that could bring heavier showers or a longer period of sleet and snow. Equally that could deepen quite rapidly in to a wind event rather than a potential snow event.

But that is + 100 hrs a way still.

Something to keep an eye on for Thursday and Friday.

All systems go from Tuesday night :)

the-world_s-top-10-best-images-of-cats-in-snowmain1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met Eireann also forecasting snow in the west and north next friday.
    I have my fingers crossed, but I wouldn't count on it here in Clare.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just saw the farming forecast there and does not signal much other than some wintry or rain/hail/sleet showers in parts of the north and west later in the week. Temps generally 5-9C throughout the week, we need something much colder and easterly for proper snow! Having said that it's much better than anything we had last winter.

Gonzo wrote: »
    just saw the farming forecast there and does not signal much other than some wintry or rain/hail/sleet showers in parts of the north and west later in the week. Temps generally 5-9C throughout the week, we need something much colder and easterly for proper snow! Having said that it's much better than anything we had last winter.

Tuesday its mostly 10-11c!
    Come next Friday though its 2-5c, which leads for some evening snow ;)

• Advertisement

From Tuesday temperatures will range between 1 and 5 c generally on current projections.

Don't know where the 5 - 9 c is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

From Tuesday temperatures will range between 1 and 5 c generally on current projections.

Don't know where the 5 - 9 c is coming from.

Every day this week barring Friday has forecast maxima somewhere in Ireland to 9C and on Friday the max is 7C on current projections!

Every day this week barring Friday has forecast maxima somewhere in Ireland to 9C and on Friday the max is 7C on current projections!

Friday maximum temperatures of 2-5c according to met eireann. Where are you getting 7?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Friday maximum temperatures of 2-5c according to met eireann. Where are you getting 7?

even if 2-5C works out next Friday, thats still not really cold enough for snow.

We need temps under 2C to begin getting excited for snow! Ive even seen it pour rain here before at 0.5C. Going on the current forecast, some high ground parts of the west and north could see some overnight mountain snow later in the week, some low ground could see some flakes mixed in with the showers but I highly doubt any of us are going to be building snowmen next week unless there is a serious upgrade on the way.

Gonzo wrote: »
    even if 2-5C works out next Friday, thats still not really cold enough for snow.

We need temps under 2C to begin getting excited for snow! Ive even seen it pour rain here before at 0.5C. Going on the current forecast, some high ground parts of the west and north could see some overnight mountain snow later in the week, some low ground could see some flakes mixed in with the showers but I highly doubt any of us are going to be building snowmen next week unless there is a serious upgrade on the way.

2-5 are maximum temperatures, so later in the evening snow is increasingly possible. I agree with you that you shouldn't be getting excited, but last year we didnt even get a flurry of snow here. Still early in the season!

Hence I used the word "generally". Headlands off the south coast and Valentia Island or Carnsore Point are not really of concern for the coming week.

For the bulk of the country temperatures will really struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

weather_zps7c394622.jpg
    no snow here....maybe friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

In a cold airmass and when you get heavy showers, the showers themselves can start off as rain or sleet if not cold enough and turn to snow as the shower drags down temperature.But then warm up again when shower has passed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Looking at Yr.no, Friday will be the coldest day at an average of 3c under clear skies, lows of 1c. Highest average is projected to 10c on Tuesday with some places hitting 12c with rain.

Dew point hovered between 1c & 0c today until the rain came and then it shot up straight away. Its going to be wet and mild then cold and dry again this week. We need something slow moving from the east if there's going to be anything worthwhile below 200ft

• Registered Users Posts: 10,470 ✭✭✭✭guil

Very small snow shower in celbridge just now on the aghards road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,013 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Snowing lightly

Newcastle Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Light sleet just north of ashbourne and the back roads are fairly glassy with black ice so take care!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭highdef

Light snow. Slight cover on rooted and cars

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

OMG stop the press!!

Cork snow shield may be breached :p

15974264265_870d548044_b.jpgCORK

very slight dusting of snow this morning.

Keeping a keen eye on events Thursday night in to Friday. May not be only wind to contend with especially in north Ulster.

18z GFS brings the prospect of a winter fright ever closer on Thursday night. Initially rain and strong winds but as the associated fronts clear in to the early hours every chance of some widespread snow for a time.

18z GFS brings the prospect of a winter fright ever closer on Thursday night. Initially rain and strong winds but as the associated fronts clear in to the early hours every chance of some widespread snow for a time.

See this guy has a can do attitude!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭highdef

Latest GFS runs are just as promising if not even more promising that the charts so far. I feel there may be some serious nail biting going on in about 2 days time

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

highdef wrote: »
    Latest GFS runs are just as promising if not even more promising that the charts so far. I feel there may be some serious nail biting going on in about 2 days time

I feel, based on this unsubstantiated information, the very least we should do is open a "Snowmaggedon The One Snow to Rule Them All - Warning Level 3" thread.
    You know it's the right thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement